NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Events like that are usually limited to current members and the interested individuals. Anything's possible, of course.

As far as why that night, maybe CHPD would know (although I have a feeling they don't). I wonder if there was anything of interest in her texts, email, or social media inboxes.

BBM

If they don't know who did it (and I think it's pretty clear that they don't), I don't think they'd know much about the motivation or timing.

Websleuths is in trouble financially. If you can help I would appreciate it greatly.

Please do not donate if it puts a hardship on you in any way shape or form. $5 dollars feels like a million when you don't have it. I completely understand.

The details are in the Websleuths page.

https://www..com/websleuths-is-on-the-brink

You can donate at PayPal with the email websleuthsdonations@gmail.com

Please do not discuss on this thread. Email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

Thank you very much for your time.

Take Care,
Tricia

BBM

If they don't know who did it (and I think it's pretty clear that they don't), I don't think they'd know much about the motivation or timing.

Yeah, I think at this point a DNA hit is the only way this is ever getting solved.

Yeah, I think at this point a DNA hit is the only way this is ever getting solved.
Yes, and if they don't have a match to that DNA, then all they can do is keep running the test for a match every so often or when they may have a possible suspect or lead. I'm sure LE is still investigating, but it's gonna stay pretty slim, IMO, unless somebody talks, or if LE gets very lucky.

Oh, her poor family.

And somebody is getting away with murder. Grrrr.

Yes, and if they don't have a match to that DNA, then all they can do is keep running the test for a match every so often or when they may have a possible suspect or lead. I'm sure LE is still investigating, but it's gonna stay pretty slim, IMO, unless somebody talks, or if LE gets very lucky.

Oh, her poor family.

With this week's disclosure that North Carolina has a 15,000 backlog of rape kits, I have to wonder if the answer lies in one of those untested kits. Get it together, North Carolina, Time's up!

With this week's disclosure that North Carolina has a 15,000 backlog of rape kits, I have to wonder if the answer lies in one of those untested kits. Get it together, North Carolina, Time's up!

I was thinking the same thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing!

It's so terrible. I'm even yelling at politicians I generally support right now. They don't want to send it out to two reference labs with which they already have contracts to do the testing because they don't want to spend the $10mm it would take to get them all tested. $700 or less a test is not a lot for DNA testing. I cannot believe it would be cheaper in the state lab, but I'm sure the state lab wants to get the revenue to justify its overhead. It makes me really, really angry.

It's so terrible. I'm even yelling at politicians I generally support right now. They don't want to send it out to two reference labs with which they already have contracts to do the testing because they don't want to spend the $10mm it would take to get them all tested. $700 or less a test is not a lot for DNA testing. I cannot believe it would be cheaper in the state lab, but I'm sure the state lab wants to get the revenue to justify its overhead. It makes me really, really angry.

Totally!!! It is maddening that not only this crime but thousands could potentially be linked and/or solved. Ughhh!

Oh, her poor family.

http://abc11.com/thousands-of-rape-kits-go-untested-in-north-carolina/3155143/

Oh GEZ..... If you guys read the above linked article, you will find that more than 15,000 rape kits collected from victims of sexual assaults are still waiting to be tested at law enforcement agencies across North Carolina

I have to wonder if the answer to finding one of the perps responsible for Faith's murder lies in one of the over 15,000 untested rape kits? North Carolina really needs to get their act together as far as I can see.

From what I read, the testing would only cost about $700 per kit if outsourced to private labs. According to the State Crime Lab, they don't have the capacity to test all the back logged kits because of not having enough staff to do so, and still keep up with current kits as well.

Reading this kind of stuff really makes me angry. Like wise, as I said before, I know CHIPs has tested DNA from everyone who has ever made contact with Faith. But I really have a hard time believing that a lone stranger perp would stumble across an unlocked second floor apartment at 5:00 AM, and dig around the kitchen, and find an empty Rum bottle; then enter the bedroom, and commit this murder.

Not to mention finding the take out food bag, and taking the time to write the ridiculous note before leaving. Especially during a time when everyone would be getting up leaving for work/school whatnot.

So I do get the impression that the crime scene may have been staged somehow.

Hi all, haven't been on here in a few weeks and catching up with all the posts.

Couple things-

The Parabon labs profile did point to Latino and/or Native American descent but IIRC Chapel Hill Police or the SBI have looked at various tribe members. I forget where I saw/heard it that a boy who had a crush on Faith from her home town tribe was questioned, as I'm sure others were too. It's not as if LE is focusing ONLY on Latin men.

I thought it was interesting some of you mentioned a flat iron was taken into evidence. Got me to thinking how we still haven't seen a full autopsy report- I believe we have only seen one page and that was what was shown on the 20/20 episode? Looked like a diagram of a body with some call outs/indications. Very "simple" for such a heinous crime no? Anyway I was wondering if perhaps there were reasons for withholding the autopsy, connected with say the flat iron. Perhaps the killer used it to burn her or damage her pretty hair. Just throwing crazy ideas out there. A flat iron isn't usually a weapon used to bludgeon someone to death, so why take it? Maybe there are things in the autopsy report that would only be known by the killer or some associate of the killer who was told in confidence? Markings etc

Also pulled up this page and was wondering if any of you have filled it out and either been completely stonewalled or at least received a response? I was thinking of making a request for FH's

http://www.ocme.dhhs.nc.gov/docrequest.shtml

Thanks in advance!

Couple things-

The Parabon labs profile did point to Latino and/or Native American descent but IIRC Chapel Hill Police or the SBI have looked at various tribe members. I forget where I saw/heard it that a boy who had a crush on Faith from her home town tribe was questioned, as I'm sure others were too. It's not as if LE is focusing ONLY on Latin men.

I thought it was interesting some of you mentioned a flat iron was taken into evidence. Got me to thinking how we still haven't seen a full autopsy report- I believe we have only seen one page and that was what was shown on the 20/20 episode? Looked like a diagram of a body with some call outs/indications. Very "simple" for such a heinous crime no? Anyway I was wondering if perhaps there were reasons for withholding the autopsy, connected with say the flat iron. Perhaps the killer used it to burn her or damage her pretty hair. Just throwing crazy ideas out there. A flat iron isn't usually a weapon used to bludgeon someone to death, so why take it? Maybe there are things in the autopsy report that would only be known by the killer or some associate of the killer who was told in confidence? Markings etc

Also pulled up this page and was wondering if any of you have filled it out and either been completely stonewalled or at least received a response? I was thinking of making a request for FH's

Thanks in advance!

Many of us got copies of the autopsy report some years ago (just by calling or emailing the Examiners Office)… I was peeved when I discovered that some folks received a report twice as long as the 5-6 page report I received (…someone here kindly sent me a copy of their longer report). I’ve not seen anything in the report that seems specifically related to the flat iron. Even the longer report lacks an estimated time of death which always seemed bizarre to me, since that would be significant and seems like something they could roughly determine.

Couple things-

Thanks in advance!

No, if you listen to the but-dial voice mail, then you will hear that Faith was saying that her hands were on fire. This signifies burning. Since it was not released in the autopsy report, I wondered if Faiths hands had been infact been burned. This could have been done with a flat-iron.

That's why I asked why the police collected a flat-iron from the bathroom as evidence.

No, if you listen to the but-dial voice mail, then you will hear that Faith was saying that her hands were on fire. This signifies burning. Since it was not released in the autopsy report, I wondered if Faiths hands had been infact been burned. This could have been done with a flat-iron.

That's why I asked why the police collected a flat-iron from the bathroom as evidence.

The contents of the voicemail cannot be deciphered (yes I know that some have claimed to).

But we do know that she was at a nightclub when it was recorded and she was fine when she left (you can see the footage of her leaving of her own accord).

Couple things-

Thanks in advance!

1) Gaspo had a post about an ex from Hollister, I believe.

2) As far as why the flat iron, my first guess was they took anything that could have been used for bludgeoning or sexual assault. It's terrible to think about, but they may have been covering their bases as far as potential weapons.

3) I agree that there may be other things in the autopsy report they don't want the public to know about/only the killer would know. It's possible, however, seems like they would have just sealed the whole report if that were truly the case. The first page you're referring to is the external exam and will just include any bruises, cuts, tattoos, and any other defects to the skin or the body on the outside. Given the fact that Faith was more than likely a young healthy individual, the external exam is pretty informative as to what happened to her.

Also, time of death can be hard to calculate. It's not as precise as it seems on TV. This link talks about it a little bit. http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/estimating-the-time-of-death.html
Seems like they're probably using estimated time of death based on the timeline.

The contents of the voicemail cannot be deciphered (yes I know that some have claimed to).

But we do know that she was at a nightclub when it was recorded and she was fine when she left (you can see the footage of her leaving of her own accord).

There is NO indication that the VM was recorded inside a Night Club.

We do not know if that was Faith on video leaving the Night Club. It could have been, or it might not have. I haven't seen the video so I can't say.

If you visit a Verizon support forum you will read dozens of post by people wanting to know why their VM time stamps are hours off.

Also the guy that enhanced the VM clearly knew what he was doing. That's why they paid him a $1000.00 to do it. I'm assuming that we are not hearing the actual enhanced version, but he did provide a transcript on the audio, and if you put on a good set of studio headphones, and turn the volume on low, then you can quit clearly hear that what he transcribed is there.

Also, I think the take out food bag note could have a great deal of significance in this case.

There is NO indication that the VM was recorded inside a Night Club.

We do not know if that was Faith on video leaving the Night Club. It could have been, or it might not have. I haven't seen the video so I can't say.

If you visit a Verizon support forum you will read dozens of post by people wanting to know why their VM time stamps are hours off.

Also the guy that enhanced the VM clearly knew what he was doing. That's why they paid him a $1000.00 to do it. I'm assuming that we are not hearing the actual enhanced version, but he did provide a transcript on the audio, and if you put on a good set of studio headphones, and turn the volume on low, then you can quit clearly hear that what he transcribed is there.

Also, I think the take out food bag note could have a great deal of significance in this case.

I posted the security camera footage of Faith exiting the club earlier in the first thread. I have provided a link again below. The time stamp is 2:06AM 9-7-12. It shows Karena and a male exiting and then a few seconds later shows Faith and male exiting. The male shown exiting was named in the released documents. He provided DNA. He is not Latino.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article104333241.html

RSBM

The time of the voicemail has been verified beyond the cell phone timestamp. LE reported that they'd verified it via cell tower extraction (what time the call was relayed by the cell tower) and with the carrier.

I guess different people get different things out of it. I hear almost nothing of the transcript in the voicemail.

I have no doubt that there is a guy that will accept a sum of money to do a job even if he knows it cannot be done.

I also have no doubt that if you read a script while listening to noise you will "hear" that script (it's happened to me).

The voicemail is absolutely meaningless and contributes nothing to our knowledge of the case - it is the definition of a red herring.

I have no doubt that there is a guy that will accept a sum of money to do a job even if he knows it cannot be done.

I also have no doubt that if you read a script while listening to noise you will "hear" that script (it's happened to me).

The voicemail is absolutely meaningless and contributes nothing to our knowledge of the case - it is the definition of a red herring.

This is kind of beside the point, but just something I noticed while I was watching that segment over and over again while I was writing the transcript for the CWD show.

It's all MOO and all that, but reading between the lines, I think CWD gave him the voicemail and let him come up with this voicemail transcript, and only then when they'd done most of the filming did they mention what the timestamp said. If you notice, the last part of the segment, he seems flustered, and is saying things like "It says what it says- I didn't make this up!" I think he realized the whole situation was going to make him look incredibly foolish, and that's why he latched onto this idea of the timestamp being wrong.

Re: the butt-dial interpretation; so far as we know no question has ever been raised about the time-stamp of any other call or text on Faith’s phone that day, yet people are wanting to question the time stamp of this one lone call, despite all the evidence of it occurring while F. is at the Club.
And I find very little credibility in the fellow who analyzed the call, especially given that all indications are that he was not given the tape to analyze ‘blindly’ but likely knew in advance what case it had to do with, which would clearly prejudice what he ‘heard.’ If anything, the call needs to be analyzed in a truly blind fashion by a real expert (and I suspect police may have already had that done, and found nothing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en