NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was this murderer so generous with his DNA, yet so selfish with his finger prints?

Something is very off here.

Why was this murderer so generous with his DNA, yet so selfish with his finger prints?

Something is very off here.

He may not have been, we just haven't been told about it if he wasn't. But also, wiping up finger prints is a much simpler matter than cleaning up DNA you've left; considering what he did, it was actually pretty much impossible.

He may not have been, we just haven't been told about it if he wasn't. But also, wiping up finger prints is a much simpler matter than cleaning up DNA you've left; considering what he did, it was actually pretty much impossible.

So an indruder has climbed to a second floor apartment, found an unocked door, entered the apartment sometime between the hours of 4:30am and???

So let's say he entered the apartment around 5:00am? He scuffled around the kitchen and found a booze bottle, he then entered Faith's room, sexually assulted and murded her? Then he wrote a very odd note on a piece of a paper bag?

He then left the apartment in broad daylight?

A couple hours later the roommate and a friend show up? They call 911 while standing in the room with faith's murdered body, and never worry that the killer might still be in the apartment ?

<snipped>

He then left the apartment in broad daylight?

A couple hours later the roommate and a friend show up? They call 911 while standing in the room with faith's murdered body, and never worry that the killer might still be in the apartment ?

Sunrise was at 6:53 AM that day, so if he entered at 5AM, there would have still been almost 2 hours of darkness left. I don't think it's totally unbelievable that he could have actually left in the daylight, though. As long as no one saw him immediately outside of Faith's door or on the stairs, and he wasn't drawing attention to himself, he'd have just been another guy walking in the apartment complex. People tend to forget encounters like that very quickly.

For instance, I walked my dog this morning, and I ran into two people, neither of whom I knew, and neither of whom were acting suspiciously. If it turned out someone was murdered and police asked me about it today, I could give a good description of both of them, what they were doing, and where I saw them. But if I were asked about it next week, I'd have a very hard time remembering that information. There's just no reason for me to retain it.

Two things work against an encounter like that being reported in this case. One, the neighbors weren't interviewed the day of the murder. They were eventually, but by that point, they probably wouldn't have remembered something like that. Two, (and I can't remember where I read this) but the immediate neighbors were apparently aware of the ETJ drama, and when they heard what had happened, strongly suspected he'd had something to do with it. So they weren't really queued up to think about a random person's involvement.

As to the 911 call, IMO, I think KR doesn't immediately realize she'd seeing a murder (she says something like "it looks like she fell off the bed"). She does realize it soon after, though, and I think you can hear fear in the voice at that point, and she asks at least twice when the emergency personnel will be there.

Where is this 911 call, and how come no one is allowed to listen to it?

Ibiz - This is a very puzzling case, and for a number of reasons. One problem is that while the note suggests that the culprit knew Faith, LE has swabbed everyone in her social circle and everyone she had substantial contact with, and no one has been a match. Another problem is how the culprit gained entry to the apartment: Faith would only let someone in if she knew them, but all such males have been swabbed; if he let himself in, however, he would need to be a prowler who had been watching the girls or someone else who had something against them who somehow knew he would find Faith alone (perhaps because he had seen KR leave). Both of the above are why I like the idea of a male culprit who Faith and KR had come into contact with but only in passing: for example, imagine a Time Out worker whom the girls had slighted (or who believed the girls had slighted him); or imagine a male in the apartment complex who had made an awkward approach to the girls which they rebuffed. Such a type could have then brooded on the slight and sought revenge, could have watched the girls and looked for an opportunity to get that revenge. That his interaction with the two girls was so slight and so tangential could be why LE hasn't identified the male.

I personally suspected KR for a long time. However, in the end, we've got male DNA on Faith and on the bottle, and I don't see how one squares the male DNA with a KR-did-it theory.

Ouch! My head ! Did you have to bumble all your paragraphs together? I'm still studying the 911 call.

Full 911 call is available here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you Whiskers. Do you happen to know if the voice mail exist anywhere?

when dispatcher asked for the name of the caller, (the 911 caller) replied, what?

I think that was about the third time the operator asked for the caller's name. The first two times were answered with some ramble. I hate it when I ask someone for their name, and the person responds by saying: "WHAT?" It kinda gives me the impression they don't want to tell me.

Nevertheless, the caller had a slow steady sob through out the call. It almost sounded like she just woke up from a deep sleep, or was under the influence of a controlled substance of some sort. I know everyone is different, but if I walked in and saw such a violent crime scene, you would not be able to catch me flying down the stairs to get out of that apartment. I would probably be skipping three steps at a time, before hitting the parking lot, and I'm a guy.

Ibiz - This is a very puzzling case, and for a number of reasons. One problem is that while the note suggests that the culprit knew Faith, LE has swabbed everyone in her social circle and everyone she had substantial contact with, and no one has been a match.

Thank you for a very good post J.M. Bee. Do you think that it is possible that the crime scene could have been staged?

Maybe the DNA evidence was planted in some way?

I read news articles that state that the police said that it "APPEARED" that Faith had been sexual assaulted. If she in fact had been, would they not just say that she was?

It seems to me that you guys have pretty much covered every aspect of this case. So I know you guys know much more then I do.

It seems to me that whoever murdered Faith was angry, and filled with rage. Which comes across as being very personal. I do find it hard to believe that someone would sneak in the apartment and snag a rum bottle from the kitchen to use as a weapon. I mean, wouldn't the killer just bring his own bottle?

From what I read, there was a tremendous struggle between Faith and her attacker. It would seem that a lot of noise would have been made, and yet no neighbors heard anything?

I'm still puzzled as to why Faith's roommate would leave the apartment door unlocked at 4:30am, knowing that a dangerous stalker might come by for a visit? Why not just wake Faith up, and say: "hey I'm leaving, you have to lock the door."

I also find it odd that the roommate would be going somewhere at 4:30am? Who would still be up, or even want to visit? Why not just sleep for a couple of hours, and then everyone will be up? It would have been 5:00am, by the time she got to the friends house.

Very puzzling.

I've had a little more time to go through the post and digest it. I'll reserve judgment, but I'm thinking the 7 minute video probably isn't going to break a lot of new ground for us. I'm much more hopeful about the two hour special that promises newly uncovered information, with interviews from friends, family and LE.

"Many key figures on Faith's case were interviewed or reached, including a few who have not spoken or communicated very much before." Now this is certainly interesting! I'm very curious as to who is being referred to here. KR? BE? Maybe even ETJ? I know the latter is unlikely, but if memory serves, he was at least considering speaking to Crime Watch Daily at one point.

I think Gaspo is probably onto something in his speculations that the killer isn't some kind of crime-staging genius; I think it was largely luck that a) he wasn't seen leaving the apartment, b) no one made a connection between him and Faith (assuming there was one, however tangential), and c) the investigation focused hard on other suspects at the beginning.

There is a video now uploaded to the investigation discovery Facebook page about Faith's murder. I urge you to watch it. To the people involved: you will be caught. You are not as slick as you think. Your days are numbered.
To the people that may know something: if this was your sister, mother, or cousin, wouldn't you want someone to speak up if they had any information??? Any small detail could help more than you think...were you at Thrill on college night that fateful night? Did you work with Faith? Let's get justice for Faith.

A $40,000 reward has been offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Hedgepeth’s killer.

Blue said three detectives from his department and the State Bureau of Investigation continue to work exclusively on the case. Investigators have set up a tip line monitored around the clock on a mobile phone. That number is 919-614-6363.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crime Stoppers has a dedicated line for anyone wishing to provide information anonymously at 919-942-7515.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that was a well constructed video, but I do think these little news shows need to stop talking about the voicemail recording. If we can't actually hear the recording, and voice our own opinions, then it's not worth mentioning. For me, it just cast dought in my mind, about the guy who claims to have decoded it.

Also, the time stamp doesn't seem to match a time line. Unless we are to believe that Faith was actually attacked somewhere in the club. Like a backroom or something, and a club employee was possibly involved, and maybe another man that was hanging out at the club that night, who's DNA was never collected by the police.

But then we would have to believe that the woman following KR out of the club was not Faith, and that Faith was possibly tied up and carried out the backdoor of the club. Then allegedly taken back to the apartment and killed with the Rum bottle, and that was the loud thumps heard by the neighbor watching TV in the apartment below.

That said. I really don't put much stock in the voicemail. The only thing that really puzzled me about it, was the part about Faith supposedly saying that her hands were on fire.

What struck me odd about this was a post made by Whiskers in the begining of this thread. Whiskers posted a list of things police removed from the apartment. One of the things, I think was a hot iron from the bathroom.

Correct me if I read the post wrong.

Finally watched the ID video. I'm devastated. They really don't know who did this.

Well, that was a well constructed video, but I do think these little news shows need to stop talking about the voicemail recording. If we can't actually hear the recording, and voice our own opinions, then it's not worth mentioning. For me, it just cast dought in my mind, about the guy who claims to have decoded it.

Also, the time stamp doesn't seem to match a time line. Unless we are to believe that Faith was actually attacked somewhere in the club. Like a backroom or something, and a club employee was possibly involved, and maybe another man that was hanging out at the club that night, who's DNA was never collected by the police.

But then we would have to believe that the woman following KR out of the club was not Faith, and that Faith was possibly tied up and carried out the backdoor of the club. Then allegedly taken back to the apartment and killed with the Rum bottle, and that was the loud thumps heard by the neighbor watching TV in the apartment below.

That said. I really don't put much stock in the voicemail. The only thing that really puzzled me about it, was the part about Faith supposedly saying that her hands were on fire.

What struck me odd about this was a post made by Whiskers in the begining of this thread. Whiskers posted a list of things police removed from the apartment. One of the things, I think was a hot iron from the bathroom.

Correct me if I read the post wrong.

A flat iron ( a tool used to straighten hair)was removed from apartment listed on the search warrant.

A flat iron ( a tool used to straighten hair)was removed from apartment listed on the search warrant.

Yes, it looks like that was the only item taken from the bathroom. So why would they want the flat iron?

Yes, it looks like that was the only item taken from the bathroom. So why would they want the flat iron?

IMO, I think because at first they didn't know what made the injuries to Faith. They took everything that could have made the type of injuries she obtained. JMO.

That said. I really don't put much stock in the voicemail. <snipped>

One of the shows talked about how EC originally deleted the voicemail, then got her carrier to restore it once she found out Faith had been murdered, and then gave it to the CHPD. So they have had it almost from the very beginning.

I think the reason we (and these shows) talk about it so much is just because it's a piece of information that we have access to. CWD was the first to report on it, IIRC, and got Arlo West to analyze it, but they didn't get it from the CHPD, they got it from EC. Then, Arlo West produced this stunning transcript of it that made it out to be some sort of case-cracking piece of evidence, and CWD made it a center piece of their story.

When we all listened to it for ourselves, we were extremely doubtful (the exact one part that matches the transcript for me is the "Ow!" part, and that sounds more like a squeal of excitement than a cry of pain). I don't think the CHPD thinks the voicemail is particularly important, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop