NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally watched the ID video. I'm devastated. They really don't know who did this.

Yeah, they really don't :( Once again, a big deal was made about how the case is actively being worked, but what could they be doing at this point?

One of the shows talked about how EC originally deleted the voicemail, then got her carrier to restore it once she found out Faith had been murdered, and then gave it to the CHPD. So they have had it almost from the very beginning.

I think the reason we (and these shows) talk about it so much is just because it's a piece of information that we have access to. CWD was the first to report on it, IIRC, and got Arlo West to analyze it, but they didn't get it from the CHPD, they got it from EC. Then, Arlo West produced this stunning transcript of it that made it out to be some sort of case-cracking piece of evidence, and CWD made it a center piece of their story.

When we all listened to it for ourselves, we were extremely doubtful (the exact one part that matches the transcript for me is the "Ow!" part, and that sounds more like a squeal of excitement than a cry of pain). I don't think the CHPD thinks the voicemail is particularly important, either.

Well, I wish they would not have removed it from the internet. I would have liked to have heard it for myself, so I could draw my own conclusion, rather then just taking them at there word I suppose.

As a side note, it's been about 5-years, so maybe CHIPS would pea all over the top of a spark plug, if they thought it would help solve this case.

Well, I wish they would not have removed it from the internet. I would have liked to have heard it for myself, so I could draw my own conclusion, rather then just taking them at there word I suppose.

As a side note, it's been about 5-years, so maybe CHIPS would pea all over the top of a spark plug, if they thought it would help solve this case.

Here's a link to the raw audio. http://www.gaspowrites.com/2016/02/blog-post.html

It has the "enhanced" subtitles with it, but just close your eyes and ignore them (or minimize the window, whatever).

You know, I've looked at that page a few times, but all I see is a square black box at the top of the screen. Maybe it's my phone. I'll look at it later when I'm on a regular computer.

Thank you for the link.

Here's a link to the raw audio. http://www.gaspowrites.com/2016/02/blog-post.html

It has the "enhanced" subtitles with it, but just close your eyes and ignore them (or minimize the window, whatever).

Again, going over some old ground, I don't believe that voicemail is very intelligible, nor did I find the TV "expert" who interpreted it very credible (and he likely was well-familiarized with the case beforehand, which would bias his interpretation). But the biggest problem is the timestamp putting Faith at the Thrill when the pocketdial happened -- people have tried to argue that somehow that timestamp was wrong (which can happen), though all other timestamps that night are accurate, and police don't doubt its accuracy. Possibly the voicemail records some dispute at the Thrill, but even that is iffy given all the background noise/music. So personally, I don't think either the pocketdial or Karena's 911 call mean much to this case (jmo). What does continually baffle me (among several things) is the meaning of the TimeOut bag note, but I don't know that there's anything new to say about that either.

I was surprised to hear on this ID video that she was "running with the wrong crowd" and had taken a break from school for a year. I don't recall that info but my memory is fuzzy. I guess I do remember the 20/20 special calling someone in her social cirlce a "drug dealing gun runner" or something to that effect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was surprised to hear on this ID video that she was "running with the wrong crowd" and had taken a break from school for a year. I don't recall that info but my memory is fuzzy. I guess I do remember the 20/20 special calling someone in her social cirlce a "drug dealing gun runner" or something to that effect.

I was surprised by that as well...as for the 20/20 special, they were describing who else was in attendance at Thrill that night IMO I don't believe she was hanging out with him. I believe she may have known him through KR if she knew him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To put in a little bit of context, stuff like this happens a lot sometimes in your first year at Carolina. It's a big party scene and sometimes people just kind of let their grades fall by the wayside those first 2 semesters. It's easy to lose your way especially if you're big on the social scene. And for a lot of first generation students from small towns it can be a struggle once you get into those big science classes and don't know when or how to reach out for help. By the time you do sometimes it's too late. Just speaking from my own experience and how the academic environment is there (or at least was during that time period). The advising system at Carolina has not always been the best and it's easy to fall through the cracks, especially in classes that are designed to weed people out.

On an unrelated note... does anyone watch the Killing Fields show on ID? One of the cases they're featuring this season (#3, I think.) is very similar to Faith's case. A young woman was beaten to death and they don't know who did it after all these years. It's a cold case now where they have DNA for the murderer(s) but can't find a match. All the people they thought did it never panned out. They did the Parabon thing too and it came out Latino male which was not at all what they were expecting. They worked a few leads but now on the most recent episode they're talking about trying to do a familial DNA search for possible relatives. I think it's taking place in Virginia this season. Anyway it's just interesting to see that, at the very least, this IS a possibility in some states. Not sure whether or not NC is one of them.

Also, unsure if this has been mentioned on this thread before but apparently it has been used at least once in North Carolina: http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_96798228-293e-5f5c-b6ae-9c39699c3c16.html

On an unrelated note... does anyone watch the Killing Fields show on ID? One of the cases they're featuring this season (#3, I think.) is very similar to Faith's case. A young woman was beaten to death and they don't know who did it after all these years. It's a cold case now where they have DNA for the murderer(s) but can't find a match. All the people they thought did it never panned out. They did the Parabon thing too and it came out Latino male which was not at all what they were expecting. They worked a few leads but now on the most recent episode they're talking about trying to do a familial DNA search for possible relatives. I think it's taking place in Virginia this season. Anyway it's just interesting to see that, at the very least, this IS a possibility in some states. Not sure whether or not NC is one of them.

Also, unsure if this has been mentioned on this thread before but apparently it has been used at least once in North Carolina: http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_96798228-293e-5f5c-b6ae-9c39699c3c16.html

Yes! I talked about the familial dna a thread back . I really think it would be useful!!!

hmmm... probably grasping at straws, but this Virginia case does sound interesting and not all that far from Chapel Hill. It’s the 2004 murder of Carrie Singer and here are a couple of brief links about it:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ie-singers-2004-murder-says-investigator.html

http://wtkr.com/2017/10/05/isle-of-...nounces-new-details-in-13-year-old-cold-case/

…and a couple of the video episodes on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF1-M8Mk8tI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaNfI8IbcaQ

“You can be very confident that this is not a white person. This is not a person of African descent. This is a person who is very strongly Native American and European mixed ancestry or Latino," said Ellen Greytak, director of Bioinformatics at Parabon NanoLabs.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....ntify-murdered-unc-students/story?id=42312443

Why has there been focus strictly on Latino men? JMO

“You can be very confident that this is not a white person. This is not a person of African descent. This is a person who is very strongly Native American and European mixed ancestry or Latino," said Ellen Greytak, director of Bioinformatics at Parabon NanoLabs.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews....ntify-murdered-unc-students/story?id=42312443

Why has there been focus strictly on Latino men? JMO

On the 20/20 episode a Parabon spokesperson specifically says the profile is “typical” for someone of Latino ancestry, and then on the “poster” of the perpetrator they put out it specifically reads “Ancestry: Latino”. So the implication seemed to be that the person would have recognizable Latino features whatever their more recent heritage. But I agree there’s some cause for wonder… and for that matter the whole Parabon technology should perhaps be taken with at least some grain of salt. I’ve asked before, if any of the 100s of leads police got from that profile led to anything, and do police still have confidence in the Parabon findings… but of course no answers forthcoming. If it ever ends up that the Latino angle is simply wrong (due to sample mixup, contamination, etc.) it would be another devastating, time-wasting dead-end in this case. :(

On the 20/20 episode a Parabon spokesperson specifically says the profile is “typical” for someone of Latino ancestry, and then on the “poster” of the perpetrator they put out it specifically reads “Ancestry: Latino”. So the implication seemed to be that the person would have recognizable Latino features whatever their more recent heritage. But I agree there’s some cause for wonder… and for that matter the whole Parabon technology should perhaps be taken with at least some grain of salt. I’ve asked before, if any of the 100s of leads police got from that profile led to anything, and do police still have confidence in the Parabon findings… but of course no answers forthcoming. If it ever ends up that the Latino angle is simply wrong (due to sample mixup, contamination, etc.) it would be another devastating, time-wasting dead-end in this case. :(

I never really noticed before, but it's interesting that the ancestry is actually a little stronger in the Central American region than it is in Southern Europe (which I guess is where the "Latino" ancestry comes in). The immediate thought is that maybe the perp had some connection to Faith through her tribe, but perhaps not, since the Haliwa-Saponi tribe is historically from the Piedmont area, not Central America.

Actually, I just had a thought: Even if the perp wasn't related to Faith through her tribe, their shared Native American ancestry may have brought them together in some way. Didn't she attend a rush event for a Native American sorority earlier in the day on the 6th? Could the killer have possibly been someone there who noticed her? Don't know if men are usually at those events, seems actually like they wouldn't be...

Just a thought.

Actually, I just had a thought: Even if the perp wasn't related to Faith through her tribe, their shared Native American ancestry may have brought them together in some way. Didn't she attend a rush event for a Native American sorority earlier in the day on the 6th? Could the killer have possibly been someone there who noticed her? Don't know if men are usually at those events, seems actually like they wouldn't be...

Just a thought.

Yeah, I doubt there were men there but in that same vein it could have been another Native event like a pow wow or something. I still don't know how to feel about the Parabon results. The whole Latino angle just came out of nowhere. Very unexpected to say the least.

Yeah, I doubt there were men there but in that same vein it could have been another Native event like a pow wow or something. I still don't know how to feel about the Parabon results. The whole Latino angle just came out of nowhere. Very unexpected to say the least.

The reason the rush came to mind was just because it happened so close in time to the murder. If the connecting event (if there was one) happened further back, that brings in the inevitable question of "Why did he approach her that night?", especially if the connecting event happened in her hometown, which is about an hour away from campus.

I've never been in a rush or had anything to do with a fraternity or sorority, so I have no idea how these events work. But wouldn't she have left contact information there, including an address, possibly even a photo? I'm thinking of a scenario where, after the event is over, a male friend or boyfriend is visiting someone at the house, looking through the information of the potential pledges, and sees Faith and is drawn to her.

The reason the rush came to mind was just because it happened so close in time to the murder. If the connecting event (if there was one) happened further back, that brings in the inevitable question of "Why did he approach her that night?", especially if the connecting event happened in her hometown, which is about an hour away from campus.

I've never been in a rush or had anything to do with a fraternity or sorority, so I have no idea how these events work. But wouldn't she have left contact information there, including an address, possibly even a photo? I'm thinking of a scenario where, after the event is over, a male friend or boyfriend is visiting someone at the house, looking through the information of the potential pledges, and sees Faith and is drawn to her.

Events like that are usually limited to current members and the interested individuals. Anything's possible, of course.

As far as why that night, maybe CHPD would know (although I have a feeling they don't). I wonder if there was anything of interest in her texts, email, or social media inboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop