NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add some perspective, OCME's across the country are facing tremendous issues right now with the increases in opioid deaths and quiet honestly not enough staff (both pathologists and techs) to handle the load. It absolutely will be and is a state of emergency if the government doesn't do something about it (both on the financial end and the preventative end). In this particular case, there seems to be so much DNA evidence with no one in particular to match it with (I agree with raiders444 on this matter). I do, however, find CHPD and other law enforcement agencies' handling of Faith's case quite troubling, particularly in the beginning when they seemed to hone in on particular people much too soon. Add to that the fact that we keep hearing that many many rape kits in NC have not been processed...

Having not seen the body or the crime scene I don't know that we can really assess whether anything in the autopsy was 'botched'. This is a very high profile case, and of course anything is possible, but I'm not buying OCME as the reason why this case is not solved yet.

To add some perspective, OCME's across the country are facing tremendous issues right now with the increases in opioid deaths and quiet honestly not enough staff (both pathologists and techs) to handle the load. It absolutely will be and is a state of emergency if the government doesn't do something about it (both on the financial end and the preventative end). In this particular case, there seems to be so much DNA evidence with no one in particular to match it with (I agree with raiders444 on this matter). I do, however, find CHPD and other law enforcement agencies' handling of Faith's case quite troubling, particularly in the beginning when they seemed to hone in on particular people much too soon. Add to that the fact that we keep hearing that many many rape kits in NC have not been processed...

Having not seen the body or the crime scene I don't know that we can really assess whether anything in the autopsy was 'botched'. This is a very high profile case, and of course anything is possible, but I'm not buying OCME as the reason why this case is not solved yet.

I’m not saying OCME is the sole reason this case hasn’t been solved. I’m saying IMO there were several mistakes on the report and things missing.( I also find it concerning that the chief medical examiner did not actually perform the autopsy herself but was just present during it. They also didn’t go to the death scene. )These reports would be available to a defense attorney and IMO I believe they could pick it apart as well as other aspects of the crime. JMO.

Also-I never said the autopsy was botched. I said the investigation. As always, JMO.

The 6 year anniversary is in two days. I wonder if there will be anything new released.

I'm not particularly hopeful. Last year, the media releases were just pleas for people to come forward. Gaspo had some new stuff but it doesn't look like he's on the case anymore.

I’m encouraged that, as I’ve wished before, genetic genealogy is being employed in Faith’s case. The above cited WRAL article says that “Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue says investigators are working this case non-stop and using new technology in hopes of cracking the case,” and more explicitly, a Raleigh News & Observer article states, “…new forms of DNA testing and genealogical testing are being used to analyze the evidence…” ABC news also hints at the use of genetic genealogy.

No doubt Parabon Labs is being flooded by law enforcement across the country to help solve old cases with their new technology. Their first few successes were mainly with decades-old cases. I have no idea how they are prioritizing cases — if it is by age, then Faith’s case, even at the 6-year point, could be low in the line-up. But just knowing it’s likely in the line-up, and these methods are getting faster/more efficient all the time is encouraging.

Just doing a little research and came across this article...if you know something, say something. IMO, witnessing a crime and not coming forward is just as bad as being an active participant. Come forward before someone makes you take the ENTIRE fall. JMHO

Conspiracy of silence

Instead, the prosecution would rely on the women who saw what had happened to Janet Chandler: the friends who had betrayed her, starting with Laurie Swank.

She was Janet's roommate and had once professed to be Janet's best friend. Swank testified that Janet was popular with the guards staying at the Blue Mill Inn. And that, it turns out, had a lot to do with why Swank began to hate Chandler.

Swank testified that in January 1979, she had a crush on defendant Carl Paiva, the supervisor of the guards. But Janet was in the way.

It was a classic love triangle. Laurie wanted Carl; Carl wanted Janet; and Janet was playing the field, which made Carl -- and some of the other guards -- angry. Swank admitted she would tell Paiva about Janet's alleged sexual escapades.

Carl Paiva "took care of it," Swank testified, by coming up with a plan to humiliate and punish Janet. She said other guards Janet had dated, and then dumped, also were in on the plan.

You may wonder, with so many people involved in Janet Chandler's death, why more were not charged. Prosecutors say they had to make tough choices, but in the end decided to charge only those with the strongest evidence against them.

If anyone has information that they wish to provide, you are asked to contact investigators at 919-614-6363. If you call this number, you will speak directly to one of the investigators who are assigned to this case and are familiar with it. You may reach the voicemail, to which police ask you leave a message and someone will return your call. Please only call this number with information regarding this case. Anyone with information who wishes to remain anonymous is asked to contact Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crimestoppers at 919-942-7515 or at http://www.crimestoppers-chcunc.org.

Justice for Faith

I’m not saying OCME is the sole reason this case hasn’t been solved. I’m saying IMO there were several mistakes on the report and things missing.( I also find it concerning that the chief medical examiner did not actually perform the autopsy herself but was just present during it. They also didn’t go to the death scene. )These reports would be available to a defense attorney and IMO I believe they could pick it apart as well as other aspects of the crime. JMO.

What mistakes and/or missing things are you referring to regarding Faith’ autopsy?

I drive by Faith's apartment every day and think of her. Her family deserves answers. Hoping for justice this year for Faith.

I drive by at least once a week, and always look towards the complex as I drive by, almost as if I expect to see her there. The name has been changed, but the memory will always be there. I sometimes wonder if whoever lives in her old apartment is even aware of it's history. I could never live there, but not everyone is like me. I do pray that one day, her dear family will have the answers they seek, and Faith may have justice, delayed, but not denied. JMO

I’m encouraged that, as I’ve wished before, genetic genealogy is being employed in Faith’s case. The above cited WRAL article says that “Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue says investigators are working this case non-stop and using new technology in hopes of cracking the case,” and more explicitly, a Raleigh News & Observer article states, “…new forms of DNA testing and genealogical testing are being used to analyze the evidence…” ABC news also hints at the use of genetic genealogy.

No doubt Parabon Labs is being flooded by law enforcement across the country to help solve old cases with their new technology. Their first few successes were mainly with decades-old cases. I have no idea how they are prioritizing cases — if it is by age, then Faith’s case, even at the 6-year point, could be low in the line-up. But just knowing it’s likely in the line-up, and these methods are getting faster/more efficient all the time is encouraging.
This article says a lot more explicitly: "Within this past year, detectives have been working with scientists at Parabon Nanolabs to compare the killer's DNA to DNA stored in public databases. The new service launched in May."

However the article also stated a couple details that I'm not sure are accurate. It states that she was raped as fact, which the investigators have hesitated to commit to before. and it said a broken rum bottle was found, but the pictures that have been released show an intact bottle with blood stains on it.

What mistakes and/or missing things are you referring to regarding Faith’ autopsy?

Numerous “errors” crossed out and signed by medical examiner. In the narrative summary of circumstances surrounding death stated Karena returned home around 11:30AM 9/7/12. (911 call was received at 11:01AM) No mention of note but did mention the “used” tampon. Also mentioned “a bottle that was supposed to ve in the kitchen was found in the bedroom. IMO (Looks like this next part was added in later) and had tissue fragments and blood on it.” ...IMO aside from this, the search warrant for their 1502 apartment states“key to apartment”...if there was only one key to begin with how was Karena to get back in the apartment after the crime? ...meaning to live since she lived there. Why did MR say she would give them a ride so they didn’t have to ride the bus? Faith had a car. MR states, “we saw Faith’s car, so we knew she was there,” if her car wasn’t there she where would MR have assumed Faith was, knowing she had school...I’d assume school?? Therefore I don’t understand the ride situation. As always IMO.

(snipped) Why did MR say she would give them a ride so they didn’t have to ride the bus? Faith had a car. MR states, “we saw Faith’s car, so we knew she was there,” if her car wasn’t there she where would MR have assumed Faith was, knowing she had school...I’d assume school?? Therefore I don’t understand the ride situation. As always IMO.

I believe Faith and KR were sharing a car. Sometime in late August (IIRC) Faith tweeted at KR asking her to pick her up from Red Robin so she wouldn’t have to ride the bus home. Also, earlier in the summer, Faith tweeted a few times about the car breaking down, so my impression is that their ride situation was always a little touch and go.

When did MR say she was going to give them both a ride so they wouldn’t have to take the bus? I don’t remember that.

The way I thought it happened was that KR couldn’t get up with Faith and thought she’d gone on to UNC, so she got MR to take her home, and when they got there, they saw Faith’s car and thought she’d overslept. It would make sense for MR to give KR a ride to campus if Faith had already taken the car, but not for her to give them both a ride if Faith was still there.

I believe Faith and KR were sharing a car. Sometime in late August (IIRC) Faith tweeted at KR asking her to pick her up from Red Robin so she wouldn’t have to ride the bus home. Also, earlier in the summer, Faith tweeted a few times about the car breaking down, so my impression is that their ride situation was always a little touch and go.

When did MR say she was going to give them both a ride so they wouldn’t have to take the bus? I don’t remember that.

The way I thought it happened was that KR couldn’t get up with Faith and thought she’d gone on to UNC, so she got MR to take her home, and when they got there, they saw Faith’s car and thought she’d overslept. It would make sense for MR to give KR a ride to campus if Faith had already taken the car, but not for her to give them both a ride if Faith was still there.

That is what I am saying!

IIRC, she stated it on either 20/20 or Breaking Homicide. I know her car was unreliable but didn’t know they shared Faith’s car which was registered under Faith’s mom.

ETA: yes, MR indeed said she would take them so they didn’t have to take the bus (Breaking Homicide)

Last edited:
Have one question from this recent discussion: it’s been hypothesized before (but I don’t think established for the public, though the police surely know) that KR & Faith may have shared a single key to the apt. (possibly explaining why KR didn’t lock the door on her way out). IF that were the case, then given that KR & MR couldn’t reach Faith by phone they would surely assume she was NOT at home, but somewhere inaccessible to picking up a call; in which case how did they plan to get into the apt. when they arrived if Faith had locked it on her way out that morning? The one obvious possibility is that the women routinely left a shared key in some hiding place as people often do (in a flower pot, under a mat, etc.), just not sure how reasonable that is. (or, maybe there simply were multiple keys -- I can't remember if this has already been settled)?

KR was probably thinking one of the following:

“I really hope Faith left the key in our hiding spot.”

“If Faith took the key, I hope she left the door unlocked.”

“Maybe Faith didn’t notice the key in the room and couldn’t lock the door.”

In other words, KR was probably just really hoping that Faith had been conscientious enough to have left her a way to get into the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel