NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of death is relatively easy to determine by measuring body core temperature in addition to physiological changes such as blood pooling and rigor mortis. The latest core temp formula used states that the body loses 1.5 degrees per hour. Of course if a body is found in weather extremes it would affect the time...but that is not the case here.

That the estimated time of death is not on the autopsy report leads me to think this was a very disorganized effort.

A final thought about the semen...

Faith could have invited a male friend in and the two had sex
If this were the case, it is reasonable to assume that he would not be among the circle of friends. Perhaps another Native American?
DNA indicated that the male was likely Hispanic...or possibly NA?

Its also possible that the killers observed the male leaving and then made their move. The fact that an item on scene was used as a bludgeon tells me that events escalated from possibly an argument to murder.

I agree with the majority. I have wondered if she did have consensual relations earlier in the evening...I also wonder if they need to find the DNA man to rule him out as the perp...meaning they know who did it but don't have enough evidence to prosecute. Possibly need to rule out the dna guy because a prosecutor/DA could say it wasn't a thorough investigation. Although I do believe they thought it was a closed case to begin with and didn't treat it as a homicide right away...not sure if I explained this well enough or got across what I wanted to...just tossing out thoughts. As always JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the majority. I have wondered if she did have consensual relations earlier in the evening...I also wonder if they need to find the DNA man to rule him out as the perp...meaning they know who did it but don't have enough evidence to prosecute. Possibly need to rule out the dna guy because a prosecutor/DA could say it wasn't a thorough investigation. Although I do believe they thought it was a closed case to begin with and didn't treat it as a homicide right away...not sure if I explained this well enough or got across what I wanted to...just tossing out thoughts. As always JMHO

Again, I'm going on memory without trying to look all these things up, but I don't buy the 'consensual sex earlier in evening' angle... from all indications I believe the semen was found not IN Faith but on her or her clothing or the bed. And I believe the police have matched up the semen DNA with DNA recovered from both the rum bottle and the bag (maybe even from under her fingernails -- not at all clear on that) -- and they are specifically looking for that individual as the perp, but after supposedly testing over 100 males have found no match.

Again, I'm going on memory without trying to look all these things up, but I don't buy the 'consensual sex earlier in evening' angle... from all indications I believe the semen was found not IN Faith but on her or her clothing or the bed. And I believe the police have matched up the semen DNA with DNA recovered from both the rum bottle and the bag (maybe even from under her fingernails -- not at all clear on that) -- and they are specifically looking for that individual as the perp, but after supposedly testing over 100 males have found no match.

I agree. And I think it was someone she knew but who was peripheral to her circle, which is why it isn't anyone LE has thought to, or been able to get a warrant to, DNA test. Maybe someone she worked with or knew from someplace, like a restaurant, that she frequented.

Irregardless of the semen, DNA on the bottle and even the bag, which only proves is that a person ejaculated, held the bottle and held the bag. It isn't likely to bring conviction.

While it could be the basis for a circumstantial evidence case, it doesn't prove that that person killed her. What is lacking is motive. While motive usually isn't a criminal element and the prosecution doesn't have to prove the defendant had one.

In order to reasonably assure a conviction its best not to proceed without first establishing one.

Irregardless of the semen, DNA on the bottle and even the bag, which only proves is that a person ejaculated, held the bottle and held the bag. It isn't likely to bring conviction.

While it could be the basis for a circumstantial evidence case, it doesn't prove that that person killed her. What is lacking is motive. While motive usually isn't a criminal element and the prosecution doesn't have to prove the defendant had one.

In order to reasonably assure a conviction its best not to proceed without first establishing one.

Motive is important to establish the specific charge (and punishment), 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree murder, but certainly many convictions come about as the result of mostly circumstantial evidence with little certainty of motive.
Indeed, one reason DNA has been able to “clear” so many innocent people in jails in recent years is because they were largely convicted on the basis of circumstantial evidence. In Faith's case, motive was probably impulse or rage, not premeditation, but time will tell.

Does LE do random checks throughout the year of DNA they have taken from old and new felons? Maybe they are already institutionalized...haven't had their DNA taken. To compare DNA. My hope is that they are keeping up with the felons and put in CODIS. #J4F[emoji173][emoji1431][emoji173]

DNA Familia!!!
Does NC do this?!
It just helped solve a case in NY!!!

You all have done a fantastic job. Please keep it up for Faith.

I'm going to keep the "Spotlight" in the title of this case in hopes you or someone will
continue to post and work on Faith's case.

THANK YOU!

Tricia

You all have done a fantastic job. Please keep it up for Faith.

I'm going to keep the "Spotlight" in the title of this case in hopes you or someone will
continue to post and work on Faith's case.

THANK YOU!

Tricia

Thank you!!!
[emoji173]J4F[emoji173]

It would be nice to have copies of statements made by those interviewed by police.

It would be nice to have copies of statements made by those interviewed by police.

That's for sure! It would no doubt help put to rest a lot of speculations and guessing, and help websleuthers better focus on the best lines of investigation. But from the beginning police have held their cards very close (taking 2 YEARS before releasing much at all from the investigation to the public), so I don't expect we'll ever see those statements in the open. In particular, Karena has been interviewed multiple (perhaps 10+) times, and we have no idea what her answers to questions are...

That's for sure! It would no doubt help put to rest a lot of speculations and guessing, and help websleuthers better focus on the best lines of investigation. But from the beginning police have held their cards very close (taking 2 YEARS before releasing much at all from the investigation to the public), so I don't expect we'll ever see those statements in the open. In particular, Karena has been interviewed multiple (perhaps 10+) times, and we have no idea what her answers to questions are...

Police are always secretive when it comes to keeping things from the public..one, to keep something back that only the perp would know and two, to prevent contamination of the case. In a cold case we spent a lot of time researching, we had to rely mostly on old newspaper accounts for info.

Watching a few 48 Hours this morning have me thinking...do we know if any construction was going on at the apartment complex Faith lived at? Or people that worked on the property: apartment maintenance, mowers, people that would have been there on a regular basis or a few weeks or days to do a small job on the property...just thinking...JMT

Watching a few 48 Hours this morning have me thinking...do we know if any construction was going on at the apartment complex Faith lived at? Or people that worked on the property: apartment maintenance, mowers, people that would have been there on a regular basis or a few weeks or days to do a small job on the property...just thinking...JMT

Are you thinking in terms that someone may have stumbled upon her and took advantage?

The question that keeps bugging me is how did the offender know she would be alone at that particular time?

Ordinarily KR would be home with her on any given night since they shared the apartment and particularly at that time of night.

Even if someone followed the girls home from the bar...KR remained home for over two hours so a stalker seems pretty weak.

What are the odds that the killer would just happen to find an unlocked door to an apartment he was lucky enough to happen upon and find one girl home when there would always be two otherwise?

There is always the possibility that the killer stumbled upon the wrong girl, too..

Are you thinking in terms that someone may have stumbled upon her and took advantage?

The question that keeps bugging me is how did the offender know she would be alone at that particular time?

Ordinarily KR would be home with her on any given night since they shared the apartment and particularly at that time of night.

Even if someone followed the girls home from the bar...KR remained home for over two hours so a stalker seems pretty weak.

What are the odds that the killer would just happen to find an unlocked door to an apartment he was lucky enough to happen upon and find one girl home when there would always be two otherwise?

There is always the possibility that the killer stumbled upon the wrong girl, too..

Unless they were the ones who changed the locks on the door after the incident with ETJ...they could/would have a key to their apartment front door. Just a thought. Or they waited, hidden in the apartment. (Stephanie Bennett) just a thought.
I go over Faith's case every single day. At this point I have begun to try and eliminate fruitless leads.

Unless they were the ones who changed the locks on the door after the incident with ETJ...they could/would have a key to their apartment front door. Just a thought. Or they waited, hidden in the apartment. (Stephanie Bennett) just a thought.
I go over Faith's case every single day. At this point I have begun to try and eliminate fruitless leads.

The question remains...how would they have known FH would be alone?

Other wise they would have had to contend with both girls.....unless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr