Found Deceased NC - Hania Noelia Aguilar, 13, abducted and murdered, Lumberton, 5 Nov 2018 #4 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is her father? I have not seen him named anywhere. Maybe we just don't know. Why can't he just come to the funeral. My husband used to fly back and forth. I also know people who have gone there on vacation. Is money the issue?
Lots of info on this thread - you might want to catch up with details on the case. Fresh eyes on the details we've discussed could be helpful.

Her father lives in Guatemala.

jmo

Lots of info on this thread - you might want to catch up with details on the case. Fresh eyes on the details we've discussed could be helpful.

Her father lives in Guatemala.

jmo
Thank you, but I've read the threads. I must have missed his name and I know he lives in Guatemala. Just don't know why he is having issues with returning for his daughter's funeral. Whatever they are, I'm sorry for the family.

"Even with enough support and contacting the right people to push it through it is very unlikely that it's gonna happen in time for him to be here for the actual funeral," said Immigration Attorney Stacey Maynor.

"They're gonna look at things people don't realize like your income, your bank accounts, your family members, all the things that would say you are gonna return to your home country, so, unfortunately, that's not a fast or easy process and most people are denied when they apply to enter the U.S., " Maynor added.

Petition started to have Hania Aguilar's dad in Guatemala attend funeral

Hania's father would need a B-2 visitor's visa to travel to the US for her funeral. That costs $160 to apply for and requires a valid passport, proof of ties to your home country (employment, home, family), proof of intent to return to your home country (return flights booked), proof of your reason for travel to the US (funeral details, address you'll be staying at), and an interview at the US embassy or consulate in Guatemala. Currently the wait for an interview for visitor visas in Guatemala City is 24 calendar days. He would also need to no have no previous immigration issues - if he has ever entered illegally, overstayed a visa, been denied a visa, been issued or ignored a deportation order, or committed misrepresentation or fraud (eg. showing a false passport/visa/documents or falsely claimed to be a US citizen), then he will be denied a visitor's visa. IMO, based on experience as a US immigrant myself. Visa Denials

Knowing the hardships of life for many people in Guatemala - he may not even have a passport and $160 US dollars to spare - it's very unlikely he will be able to obtain one in time. If he has no prior immigration issues and all the requirements fulfilled, hopefully they would have some empathy and expedite an appointment for him. The most the public could do to help, realistically, would be perhaps to fund his flights through or similar, and maybe assist him in filling the application. A US representative from congress can sometimes assist in getting pending immigration cases within the country for residents and citizens pushed along if they are taking longer than expected but I'm unsure as to how that would apply outside of the country. I don't believe it does. Again IMO, in my experience. So heartbreaking :(

Thank you, but I've read the threads. I must have missed his name and I know he lives in Guatemala. Just don't know why he is having issues with returning for his daughter's funeral. Whatever they are, I'm sorry for the family.

See the previous posts I quoted for more info. My impression is that he has to prove to the embassy authorities that he has strong reasons to return to Guatemala and will not use the Visa as an opportunity to stay in the US. If he was wealthy with a business there and bank accounts he might be able to come much easier than if he is an average person there. More than 50 percent of the population there lives below the poverty line: Guatemala - Wikipedia

A quick google search reveals a high number of registered sex offenders in Lumberton, NC, as well as police corruption, a fire chief arrested for child *advertiser censored*, and one of the most violent cities in the whole state of NC. A person reportedly has a 1 in 55 percent chance of getting killed there.
Lumberton, NC Crime Rates and Statistics - NeighborhoodScout

It is where Michael Jordan's dad was murdered. Very violent town #1 in NC

See the previous posts I quoted for more info. My impression is that he has to prove to the embassy authorities that he has strong reasons to return to Guatemala and will not use the Visa as an opportunity to stay in the US. If he was wealthy with a business there and bank accounts he might be able to come much easier than if he is an average person there. More than 50 percent of the population there lives below the poverty line: Guatemala - Wikipedia
Thanks for responding to my post. I had seen those but thought it odd he was having such a difficult time. I can see now since you mentioned the risk of returning. BTW, you word all your comments so nicely.

agreed. I also think there is a good chance he is connected to at least some of the other missing and deceased women in the area. I think that is why the FBI came out strong about hunting him down when they found the SUV, which clearly contained strong evidence of terrible things, if not murder.

as an aside, serial killers are most often white, but African American (AA) serial killers do exist in significant proportions - about 20% of serial killers. One study showed that AA serial killers exist at a rate twice their average percentage in the population.
NCJRS Abstract - National Criminal Justice Reference Service

In 2016 Robeson County, where Lumberton is, is #27 on the list of US Murder Capitals as per the Brennan Center for Justice.

And Nash County N.C. and Halifax County N.C. are even worse - #7 and #2, respectively. Poor and rural. That’s what these 3 counties have in common. Despair. No way out. Trapped. Violence. Little opportunity.
I grew up north of there. I taught school in eastern N.C.
I had some students who had nothing to eat all weekend. Free school lunch on Friday and maybe nothing until free breakfast on Monday.

The Top 30 murder capitals of the U.S.

I still think the person in the video is hyper local and the perp is hyper local. Grew up there. Not sure if they are the same person. Possibly.
I’m not sure Hania was the target. I think it could have been any teen girl the perp encountered that morning. It happened to be Hania.
He knows the routines, who works where, which houses have dogs, who works what shift, knows where to hide if they see LE coming their way. Probably grew up traveling the neighborhood/area by bike and walking- knows the shortcuts and which houses to avoid.
Got a lot of cousins, friends, siblings, half siblings so there are many places he can crash for a while.

JMO

agreed. I also think there is a good chance he is connected to at least some of the other missing and deceased women in the area. I think that is why the FBI came out strong about hunting him down when they found the SUV, which clearly contained strong evidence of terrible things, if not murder.

as an aside, serial killers are most often white, but African American (AA) serial killers do exist in significant proportions - about 20% of serial killers. One study showed that AA serial killers exist at a rate twice their average percentage in the population.
NCJRS Abstract - National Criminal Justice Reference Service

In 2016 Robeson County, where Lumberton is, is #27 on the list of US Murder Capitals as per the Brennan Center for Justice.

And Nash County N.C. and Halifax County N.C. are even worse - #7 and #2, respectively. Poor and rural. That’s what these 3 counties have in common. Despair. No way out. Trapped. Violence. Little opportunity.
I grew up north of there. I taught school in eastern N.C.
I had some students who had nothing to eat all weekend. Free school lunch on Friday and maybe nothing until free breakfast on Monday.

The Top 30 murder capitals of the U.S.

I still think the person in the video is hyper local and the perp is hyper local. Grew up there. Not sure if they are the same person. Possibly.
I’m not sure Hania was the target. I think it could have been any teen girl the perp encountered that morning. It happened to be Hania.
He knows the routines, who works where, which houses have dogs, who works what shift, knows where to hide if they see LE coming their way. Probably grew up traveling the neighborhood/area by bike and walking- knows the shortcuts and which houses to avoid.
Got a lot of cousins, friends, siblings, half siblings so there are many places he can crash for a while.

JMO

That’s not the entire sentence. It says “1 in 55 chance of being raped, assaulted, or killed.” Either way, it’s terrifying statistic, but certainly better than a ~2% murder rate.
Yes, I guess. I'd move some where my chances were a lot better. It is certainly not a good place for children..

I don't know how one tell race of person by the way they are walking. The only thing I think one can tell is that he is walking quite fast so not elderly.
I agree. It never occurred to me that this person walking was of a particular race.

Profiler: Killer likely knew Hania Aguilar or her neighborhood :: WRAL.com

“Michael Teague, a forensic psychologist who previously worked as a criminal profiler for both the Raleigh Police Department and what is now the state Department of Public Safety, said the circumstances surrounding the abduction provide clues to the perpetrator.

"A guy just happened to be walking by as she was getting into the car? That is so coincidental," Teague said Friday, adding that the person who killed Aguilar is likely familiar with her or the area.

"This just didn't happen out of nowhere. I mean, this person didn't just drop out of Mars," he said. "They would be walking around the area. I mean, you almost have to be from there, working from there."”

—-

ETA:

Again I think he was likely in the area for drugs or heading home or somewhere to crash maybe after an all-nighter? (Family, friend??) MOO

—-Nobody is giving up. Can’t wait for an arrest. Maybe someone close to family had bad ties, Moo. Or not.

Last edited:
From moderator Whiskers16 a few pages back: BBM. Please do not speculate about gang involvement if LE has stated they have no evidence of this.

ETA- Proceed with caution regarding discussion of the father's request to travel to the US for the funeral. Our discussion here should always stay focused on the victim, the potential perp, and justice for Hania.

Agree 100%.
Not sure what a "1 in 55 percent chance" even means.

1 in 55 chance (would be just under 0.2%) and make Lumberton the murder capital of the world.
55% chance (would be just over 1 in 2) and make Lumberton the murder capital of the solar system.

It actually means that 1.8 for every hundred people are killed.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Lots of people live petty crime as a way of life.
“Being comfortable and ready to carjack in the spur of the moment” is as normal to them as you bending over and picking up a dollar bill laying on the sidewalk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Profiler: Killer likely knew Hania Aguilar or her neighborhood :: WRAL.com

“Michael Teague, a forensic psychologist who previously worked as a criminal profiler for both the Raleigh Police Department and what is now the state Department of Public Safety, said the circumstances surrounding the abduction provide clues to the perpetrator.

"A guy just happened to be walking by as she was getting into the car? That is so coincidental," Teague said Friday, adding that the person who killed Aguilar is likely familiar with her or the area.

"This just didn't happen out of nowhere. I mean, this person didn't just drop out of Mars," he said. "They would be walking around the area. I mean, you almost have to be from there, working from there."”

—-

ETA:

Again I think he was likely in the area for drugs or heading home or somewhere to crash maybe after an all-nighter? (Family, friend??) MOO

—-Nobody is giving up. Can’t wait for an arrest. Maybe someone close to family had bad ties, Moo. Or not.

I think the kidnapping was not pre-planned. More likely someone was walking by that seen the opportunity to steal a SUV with the motor running sitting on a dark morning. Hanna just happened to be already sitting inside the running SUV or standing in front of the drivers door.
Viewing the person seen walking in the Security camera video from along the routes between Rosewood Mobile Home Park on Elizabethtown Road and Quincy Drive south of Lumberton he seems to be walking casual. Probably going to an address or coming from somewhere close to Hanna’s house. He might live close by or going/leaving a friends address. There could also be a homeless camp along that route.
Last edited: Nov 24, 2018 oceanstarryeyes, Nov 24, 2018 #436

Crime Of Opportunity
Maybe check local Dollar Stores for yellow bandanas and view the videos up to 3 or 4 days before Hania was taken.

Last edited:
If you want to steal the car, why do you force the child into the car? Again, if a person lives a life of petty crime and just wants the car, he could have just stolen the car.
Furthermore, he then dumped that car, so what did he want it for? Car was found not that far from the crime scene, so it's not like this person wanted to drive somewhere far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89