GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the most likely place for the basement guest room is directly underneath the master bedroom...as I look at the house the yard slopes back on that side almost as if there is a walk out part in the back...the Great Room is 20' wide and is between the master bedroom and the kitchen but it's open...it appears the stairs going down would be off the kitchen or the great room in the middle of the house...I have hardwood floors and from my basement you can't hear what people are saying upstairs but sometimes hear they are talking ...mostly hear walking around...

Or maybe a thump if something was knocked over/someone knocked to the floor above?

Something I'm curious about...TM makes no mention of MM being part of the crime. Do we know when and how she became part of the story and therefore was also charged?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something I'm curious about...TM makes no mention of MM being part of the crime. Do we know when and how she became part of the story and therefore was also charged?
my thoughts on this are during her statement to the sheriffs office she provided an explanation of what happened...how she came to being choked by her husband, allegedly...and, how her father came to her rescue... I think it's fair to assume with two weapons being used Molly is good for the brick...and she has a story but the deputies don't believe it adds up to the autopsy report and at that point would have called her in for a confession but she was lawyered up...the charges filed against her though... 2nd degree homicide and voluntary manslaughter seem to have a special significance here..."imperfect self defense" one of the conditions that applies is excessive force... and I read that to mean she and her Dad can be found guilty with only the evidence of the overkill...or the autopsy report...if I'm wrong, please tell me...

my thoughts on this are during her statement to the sheriffs office she provided an explanation of what happened...how she came to being choked by her husband, allegedly...and, how her father came to her rescue... I think it's fair to assume with two weapons being used Molly is good for the brick...and she has a story but the deputies don't believe it adds up to the autopsy report and at that point would have called her in for a confession but she was lawyered up...the charges filed against her though... 2nd degree homicide and voluntary manslaughter seem to have a special significance here..."imperfect self defense" one of the conditions that applies is excessive force... and I read that to mean she and her Dad can be found guilty with only the evidence of the overkill...or the autopsy report...if I'm wrong, please tell me...
Earlier media reports stated MM was thought to be the chief perpetrator.
It has been reported that 31-year-old Molly is considered the main suspect in the case.

Her father Thomas (65) was visiting the couple at the time of Jason's death, and was
source http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ation-to-his-brutal-death-in-us-31451072.html
http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233005

The children are in the custody of their stepmother, who is the chief suspect in the investigation into the death of Mr Corbett. source-http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sister-vows-to-bring-brothers-body-home-347199.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See my post above #784.
Remember the reported testimony of Tracey Lynch at the custody hearing? It was alleged that molly had told Tracey she had killed Jason.
Also, recall the reports of the family being informed by Sharon Martens? She allegedly stated Molly pushed Jason..
So a swing back has occurred, possibly following the release of the 911 call transcript and recording.
But usually the earliest reports prove to be the most accurate

Earlier media reports stated MM was thought to be the chief perpetrator.
It has been reported that 31-year-old Molly is considered the main suspect in the case.

Her father Thomas (65) was visiting the couple at the time of Jason's death, and was
source http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...ation-to-his-brutal-death-in-us-31451072.html
http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233005

The children are in the custody of their stepmother, who is the chief suspect in the investigation into the death of Mr Corbett. source-http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/sister-vows-to-bring-brothers-body-home-347199.html
no disagreement here that I can see...if you know more about "imperfect self defense", I would like to hear it...

no disagreement here that I can see...if you know more about "imperfect self defense", I would like to hear it...

Theres loads about it on google search.. We discussed it here before.
the point is that Molly was thought to be the chief perp, not her father.

Theres loads about it on google search.. We discussed it here before.
the point is that Molly was thought to be the chief perp, not her father.

How could she not be?... And it had to be in her statement that morning that she disclosed her role in Jason's death...if she said she pushed him I imagine there was both pushing and shoving...in their argument she might have threatened to go get her daddy and he blocked her from leaving the room...she caught jason unaware when she hit him with the brick but I think it had to be the most deadly blow...it took him a little while before he became disoriented and she got in a few more whacks...if he tried to restrain her or choke her it was in his own defense all the while becoming more and more disabled from his injuries...and perhaps that's when TM came upon the scene... I think the first blow of the bat probably knocked him out so I can't understand so many strikes...

How could she not be?... And it had to be in her statement that morning that she disclosed her role in Jason's death...if she said she pushed him I imagine there was both pushing and shoving...in their argument she might have threatened to go get her daddy and he blocked her from leaving the room...she caught jason unaware when she hit him with the brick but I think it had to be the most deadly blow...it took him a little while before he became disoriented and she got in a few more whacks...if he tried to restrain her or choke her it was in his own defense all the while becoming more and more disabled from his injuries...and perhaps that's when TM came upon the scene... I think the first blow of the bat probably knocked him out so I can't understand so many strikes...
I dont know what was in her statement. I'm still following the lead of the stomach contents, made some lengthy posts on them some time ago.. There was 500ml THICK chyme in his stomach. I overlooked the word 'thick' in my original research but when I saw it, I searched again and it is quite possible thick chyme could mean chyme with coffee added. The stomach contents also contained masticated greens, these had not yet undergone the process of digestion. It is possible that greens take longer to be broken down in the system, but not to such an extent that they would hold the mere appearance of mastication, after several hours in the stomach.

Reason I am going nutty looking for exact interior house plan, what was actually built as opposed to what was planned is that I have a theory that he went to the kitchen for some nibbles and some coffee perhaps and when he returned to his room, she was waiting inside the door with a big rock..
Most of this theory is in older posts which I sometimes forget or assume everyone has read anyhow..

It was middle of night, he thought everyone ws sleeping and didnt bother grabbing a bathrobe and just opened the fridge and had some nibbles, went back to his room, and WHAM.
I never heard of a murderer or a strangler or even a rapist chewing some salad leaves immediately prior to his act.
What is not mentioned in the stomach contents autopsy report is the location in the stomach of the chyme. That would have significant time pointers to last meal.

First we were all sure he was whacked while sleeping and then the general opinion changed to a male perp based upon the broken nose, but we do not know for sure it wasn't broken by an object as opposed to a fist..
My reading of the warrants leads me to believe that nothing happened in or around the bed in that room.. it happened closer to the door.
Other option is that he got up to use the toilet, his bladder was almost empty on autopsy, but the bladder often empties involuntarily on sudden violent death anyway. If that was the case, it could have occurred when he left the bathroom, he met the rock full on. Sometimes I think he died instantly but not after reading prosecutor's comment regarding the crime being heinous and cruel, that means prolonged, slow and a painful death where help was witheld. He has access to more info on the autopsy than we do. he will also have access to expert opinion on the sequence of blows. We dont have that info.

I dont know what was in her statement. I'm still following the lead of the stomach contents, made some lengthy posts on them some time ago.. There was 500ml THICK chyme in his stomach. I overlooked the word 'thick' in my original research but when I saw it, I searched again and it is quite possible thick chyme could mean chyme with coffee added. The stomach contents also contained masticated greens, these had not yet undergone the process of digestion. It is possible that greens take longer to be broken down in the system, but not to such an extent that they would hold the mere appearance of mastication, after several hours in the stomach.

Reason I am going nutty looking for exact interior house plan, what was actually built as opposed to what was planned is that I have a theory that he went to the kitchen for some nibbles and some coffee perhaps and when he returned to his room, she was waiting inside the door with a big rock..
Most of this theory is in older posts which I sometimes forget or assume everyone has read anyhow..

It was middle of night, he thought everyone ws sleeping and didnt bother grabbing a bathrobe and just opened the fridge and had some nibbles, went back to his room, and WHAM.
I never heard of a murderer or a strangler or even a rapist chewing some salad leaves immediately prior to his act.
What is not mentioned in the stomach contents autopsy report is the location in the stomach of the chyme. That would have significant time pointers to last meal.

First we were all sure he was whacked while sleeping and then the general opinion changed to a male perp based upon the broken nose, but we do not know for sure it wasn't broken by an object as opposed to a fist..
My reading of the warrants leads me to believe that nothing happened in or around the bed in that room.. it happened closer to the door.
Other option is that he got up to use the toilet, his bladder was almost empty on autopsy, but the bladder often empties involuntarily on sudden violent death anyway. If that was the case, it could have occurred when he left the bathroom, he met the rock full on. Sometimes I think he died instantly but not after reading prosecutor's comment regarding the crime being heinous and cruel, that means prolonged, slow and a painful death where help was witheld. He has access to more info on the autopsy than we do. he will also have access to expert opinion on the sequence of blows. We dont have that info.
I think the bathroom is a walk-in from the bedroom and between there and the bedroom door is where jason died...but I think if Molly ambushed him she would be charged with first degree murder...consider the opposite that she wouldn't leave him alone and let him sleep...wasn't he due at work in a few hours?...if she thought he was going to book those plane tickets against her objections then she might have been trying to prevent him from going to work... In her mind, she had to resolve it before he left and I bet she was engaging him every time he he tried to fall asleep...all this my opinion of course...

I think the bathroom is a walk-in from the bedroom and between there and the bedroom door is where jason died...but I think if Molly ambushed him she would be charged with first degree murder...consider the opposite that she wouldn't leave him alone and let him sleep...wasn't he due at work in a few hours?...if she thought he was going to book those plane tickets against her objections then she might have been trying to prevent him from going to work... In her mind, she had to resolve it before he left and I bet she was engaging him every time he he tried to fall asleep...all this my opinion of course...
they were originally pursuing a murder1 charge.
It was a Sunday morning so no work, I would imagine.

they were originally pursuing a murder1 charge.
It was a Sunday morning so no work, I would imagine.
Ok my bad but I still think she was engaging him in her battle and making him very angry ... Do you know if they attended church services on Sunday mornings?... Was Jason planning to play golf? I know they were investigating 1st degree murder but that didn't happen...do you believe it is and they just can't prove it? ... I think the state crime lab is still rehabilitating from some misconduct that had something like 175 convictions brought into question and wouldn't support charges not backed by physical evidence...it might be why it took a while to bring the case before the grand jury...

Ok my bad but I still think she was engaging him in her battle and making him very angry ... Do you know if they attended church services on Sunday mornings?... Was Jason planning to play golf? I know they were investigating 1st degree murder but that didn't happen...do you believe it is and they just can't prove it? ... I think the state crime lab is still rehabilitating from some misconduct that had something like 175 convictions brought into question and wouldn't support charges not backed by physical evidence...it might be why it took a while to bring the case before the grand jury...
I imagine the entire case is an absolute mire of internal and external politics.. time will tell.
I'm not clear on why you think Jason engaged with her at all? He was stone cold sober, probably tired after a week of work and disharmony, had her parents descend without notice and molly on the warpath for God only knows how long..
People adapt to eachothers' idiosyncracies and neuroses and sometimes psychoses and they learn to survive in dysfunctional relationships. Every dynamic is different because no two people are the same.
We know a lot about these people , Jason and Molly, but we know nothing at all, as well.

My sense of it is that he would shut down for safety for both himself and his children. I feel he would have detached, gone silent..But that is just me guessing.
I dont know whether it was pre meditated, or whether she was in a rage and it was the next logical, to her , step in that rage or whether she lay in wait.. She is a complex personality, possibly not very predictable, we have been told she is volatile, has tantrums, curls up in a ball and hurts herself.. possibly grappling furiously between the pain of raw reality- her veneer is being ripped away from her, leaving her exposed emotionally, mentally and psychically.. she is likely veering between fear and rage, something is being taken from her and she cannot stand it.
I honestly think he went to bed, for peace, alone.
I think he would always have known to never ever engage with her rages.. even if woken up suddenly from his sleep.. or having got up for some reason, found her to be prowling and raging still.
I think he would have known instinctively how not to make her worse.
I do not believe he engaged, he merely tried to defend himself from the force of the blows.

I imagine the entire case is an absolute mire of internal and external politics.. time will tell.
I'm not clear on why you think Jason engaged with her at all? He was stone cold sober, probably tired after a week of work and disharmony, had her parents descend without notice and molly on the warpath for God only knows how long..
People adapt to eachothers' idiosyncracies and neuroses and sometimes psychoses and they learn to survive in dysfunctional relationships. Every dynamic is different because no two people are the same.
We know a lot about these people , Jason and Molly, but we know nothing at all, as well.

My sense of it is that he would shut down for safety for both himself and his children. I feel he would have detached, gone silent..But that is just me guessing.
I dont know whether it was pre meditated, or whether she was in a rage and it was the next logical, to her , step in that rage or whether she lay in wait.. She is a complex personality, possibly not very predictable, we have been told she is volatile, has tantrums, curls up in a ball and hurts herself.. possibly grappling furiously between the pain of raw reality- her veneer is being ripped away from her, leaving her exposed emotionally, mentally and psychically.. she is likely veering between fear and rage, something is being taken from her and she cannot stand it.
I honestly think he went to bed, for peace, alone.
I think he would always have known to never ever engage with her rages.. even if woken up suddenly from his sleep.. or having got up for some reason, found her to be prowling and raging still.
I think he would have known instinctively how not to make her worse.
I do not believe he engaged, he merely tried to defend himself from the force of the blows.
It's the nature of domestic violence to keep the fight going ... Normal people might react the way you describe but an abusive person just has to control his or her partner...there's an emotional charge in the argument that sets it apart and escalates it...and while he may have tried to disengage that would only make her more angry...and, if he knew how to calm her anger, I don't think he would be dead...

I'm struggling to focus on the established facts of this case, so have spent some time reviewing what we know so far to see if there is scope for further sleuthing...here's what I have so far -

• 911 call, TM admits to hitting Jason with a bat to protect Molly. Initial report by the medical examiner states that TM admitted striking Jason with both the bat and the landscaping stone. Early interviews (as stated in the warrant applications) clarify that both TM AND Molly admit to striking Jason in self defense. Under NC law '14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.(a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies: (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another. (2) Under the circumstances permitted pursuant to G.S. 14‑51.2' My understanding is that (1) above generally applies to firing upon someone causing bodily harm/death rather than beating someone, as the presumption would be that once the person was beaten prone the threat would be sufficiently diminished for this clause not to apply, which leads me to wonder if they will try to introduce clause (2) as their defense.

• As the case has progressed, domestic violence has been intimated by Molly in her public FB posts, but has not, as far as I can see, been confirmed by any legitimate source thus far. In NC, domestic violence is defined as '50B-1. Domestic violence; definition. (a) Domestic violence means the commission of one or more of the following acts upon an aggrieved party or upon a minor child residing with or in the custody of the aggrieved party by a person with whom the aggrieved party has or has had a personal relationship, but does not include acts of self-defense:(1) Attempting to cause bodily injury, or intentionally causing bodily injury; or(2) Placing the aggrieved party or a member of the aggrieved party's family or household in fear of imminent serious bodily injury or continued harassment, as defined in G.S. 14-277.3A, that rises to such a level as to inflict substantial emotional distress; or(3) Committing any act defined in G.S. 14-27.2 through G.S. 14-27.' There are no substantiated reports of Jason being abusive, but this theory was extensively put forward by extended members of the Martens family during the initial custody battle. Do we know if any further transcripts from the custody hearings are available? One could assume that if Tracey were able to put forward her concerns regarding Molly's suitability as guardian of the children, Molly would surely have made some reference to Jason being abusive in the home to strengthen her argument for retaining the children.
  • Could this be why Molly's public FB posts suddenly switched from the 'Home, Sweet, Home' reflections which she used in the beginning, to the 'in the circumstances in which we found ourselves' type posts as the investigation progressed and she was ultimately charged with a crime? Her legal team would surely have advised her that she needed to do everything in her power to substantiate the self defense claim.
  • Again back to SM, if there was a history of abuse in the home, why did she not dial 911 when TM went to investigate the 'disturbance' or at the very least, leave with him to ensure the children were safe from any potential confrontation?

I chose to focus on the description of the nights events initially, how does the evidence support her claims? I would say there is scant public evidence to support the DV claims. My fear however, is that there isn't necessarily any firm evidence to disprove it either so it may come down to a popularity contest and assassination of character.

If that is the case, I think Molly's missing years could be the key to unlocking the case for the Corbetts. Jason is an open book, people will either believe he was a genuine character or they won't. Molly's entire persona appears to be built upon her life in NC....her character witnesses thus far are people who are relatively new to her life or have we missed something?

This 'defence' strategy seems to rely on proving Jason to be an alcohol and drug fuelled enraged, almost godzilla like, creature. However the weight of research such as the study below suggests that blood alcohol levels are more likely to INCREASE post mortem as the alcohol diffuses into surrounding tissues. So the low blood alcohol levels found in Jasons body post mortem were likely to have been even lower before his death.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16782292

There is no reputable evidence either that low levels of alcohol coupled with small doses of Trazadone are likely to cause uncontrolled rage.

This is a very weak defence in my opinion, and is designed to 'fit' with the 911 call. Holton asserts that Jason had been 'drinking all day', yet TM whom we believe to have arrived around 8.30 pm had to ask MM in the 911 call if Jason had been drinking.

It is interesting to note that the rest of the article dealt with the removal of property issue, as if that were of greater importance. Very weak defence arguments in my opinion.

This 'defence' strategy seems to rely on proving Jason to be an alcohol and drug fuelled enraged, almost godzilla like, creature. However the weight of research such as the study below suggests that blood alcohol levels are more likely to INCREASE post mortem as the alcohol diffuses into surrounding tissues. So the low blood alcohol levels found in Jasons body post mortem were likely to have been even lower before his death.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16782292

There is no reputable evidence either that low levels of alcohol coupled with small doses of Trazadone are likely to cause uncontrolled rage.

This is a very weak defence in my opinion, and is designed to 'fit' with the 911 call. Holton asserts that Jason had been 'drinking all day', yet TM whom we believe to have arrived around 8.30 pm had to ask MM in the 911 call if Jason had been drinking.

It is interesting to note that the rest of the article dealt with the removal of property issue, as if that were of greater importance. Very weak defence arguments in my opinion.
It is as though they are fully aware of how widespread is the knowledge that Jason was simply an all round good bloke and they must try to change that somehow.. it is vital to their defence that they change Jason's character.. so apply a huge volume of alcohol and tranqs.. mix well and create a monster recipe.
It shows them to be ill informed, badly advised and quite stupid and unprofessional.
Cant wait for the genie to conjure the math blood alcohol ..
It is physically impossible and utterly ludicrous.
It is stupid because the massive blood alcohol their goon will attest to would actually have made the victim more rather than less incompetent in his self defence.

I am wondering why they took such a big professional risk in submitting this info to a hapless careless journalist who didnt even bother to factcheck.

I wonder again whether something else prevented Jason from defending himself.. and I wonder what it could have been?

It is as though they are fully aware of how widespread is the knowledge that Jason was simply an all round good bloke and they must try to change that somehow.. it is vital to their defence that they change Jason's character.. so apply a huge volume of alcohol and tranqs.. mix well and create a monster recipe.
It shows them to be ill informed, badly advised and quite stupid and unprofessional.
Cant wait for the genie to conjure the math blood alcohol ..
It is physically impossible and utterly ludicrous.
It is stupid because the massive blood alcohol their goon will attest to would actually have made the victim more rather than less incompetent in his self defence.

I am wondering why they took such a big professional risk in submitting this info to a hapless careless journalist who didnt even bother to factcheck.

I wonder again whether something else prevented Jason from defending himself.. and I wonder what it could have been?

I suppose their only choice is to destroy the character of JC, they will have to use every trick in the book to back up their claim of DV. The statement from MM lawyers in the article is giving a definitive that because TM said it in the phone call about JC strangling MM must be true because TM said it. Not evidence of fact. As for the alcohol mixing with the medication, also no evidence of fact as you can also trawl the internet to find information what does not back this up as definitive. This reporter imo has been very fair in his reporting judging from all his other articles, all he was doing in this was producing an article on what MM lawyers were saying, I wouldn't expect him to go trawling the internet to find something that disputed what they were saying, that is up to the prosecution.

Also, there are articles on the net that clearly state that alcohol in blood can increase after death, depending on where the body was kept, depending on decomposition, where the blood was taken from (in the case of JC it was taken from an artery leading to the heart) etc. All of their experts will have counter experts on the prosecution side to dispute what they are saying. However, they will be doing their level best to create an element of doubt. The autopsy itself speaks volumes as does the fact that neither MM or TM had any marks on their person. The witnesses who were socialising on the lawn earlier in the night will be interesting as to what they will say as to the level of alcohol taken. The lawyer is also more than happy to put out the statement that they did not take blood from TM or MM as they did not see it necessary but they did see it necessary to take it from JC. It is a cleverly worded statement from the lawyers.

The lawyers also seem to dedicate a lot of time to the issue regarding the property, a distraction maybe to garnish more support or sympathy as the lawyers are acutely aware that all the evidence, and this is not just hearsay evidence, is not painting MM in any good light. The issues about the property will imo have no bearing on the murder trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx