GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
EMS would have been there to take care of Jason. IMO its odd, that MM did not go to the ER. The EMS are not doctors and I don't think in Davidson County a LE doctor would be on the scene. Most small town NC police forces do not have MDs. It's all strange to me. Wouldn't TM and SM want MM checked by a doctor. TM admitted to killing a man to protect MM, but they didn't have her checked by a Dr. Odd.

I think if either MM or her parents wanted her to be treated for alleged strangulation, a doctor would have been called. Perhaps even LE would have asked if she needed a doctor. The fact - as far as we are aware - that medical attention was neither requested nor sought, suggests that there was no need for a doctor since the strangulation story was a fabrication IMO. I would imagine some time later someone on the defence side would have despaired of that opportunity missed.

police stated crime scene was not consistent with a melee/donnybrook... I wonder if that is what they saw? I agree its highly unlikely, however.
I wonder whether the police did a full search of that house on the night of the murder?
Its so unlikely that either of the perpetrators will 'crack' under questioning or while on trial.

This whole trial is contingent on the production of clean evidence by the prosecution.
Every single detail will be vital.

I know we are probably straying into trial territory here, but I am not so sure the defendants will not crack under pressure. The weight of opinion in these posts suggest that TM may have played a lesser role than he has admitted to, and although he is experienced LE, it is hard to give specific details and continue to corroborate them, when you are talking about something you have not directly witnessed. With MM, I think her volatility could result in an angry outburst if provoked, and the 'mommy martyr' mask could slip.
All the above is my opinion only.

I know we are probably straying into trial territory here, but I am not so sure the defendants will not crack under pressure. The weight of opinion in these posts suggest that TM may have played a lesser role than he has admitted to, and although he is experienced LE, it is hard to give specific details and continue to corroborate them, when you are talking about something you have not directly witnessed. With MM, I think her volatility could result in an angry outburst if provoked, and the 'mommy martyr' mask could slip.
But we must stray into trial scene because we must discover how these cases are prosecuted.. so we must look at other cases in Tennessee, see link below.. its very interesting reading and the amount of detail is fascinating and unexpected!
Self defence. She must prove self defense.. see similar cases..

They have had ample time to both confer and get their stories straight. I doubt they will 'crack'.

here's an interesting article on manslaughter and how it is determined. Note 'cooling off period'
That would suggest that whatever Jason said or did to provoke her happened without a cooling off period, ie- almost immediately before he was slaughtered.
Defense must produce evidence to this effect if they were to accept this charge, they have pleaded not guilty.. so what is it exactly they are guilty of, in their own minds?
http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/manslaughter-a-lesser-crime-than-murder.html

From the article- [h=3]Imperfect Self-Defense[/h]Self-defense is a complete defense to a homicide charge, meaning you can’t be convicted of murder or manslaughter if you justifiably kill another person to protect yourself. (For more information, see Criminal Law Defenses: Self-Defense.) For a killing to be justified as self-defense, the defendant must reasonably believe that force is necessary for self-protection against an immediate threat of harm, and lethal force is an appropriate response to the threat. But what if the defendant sincerely believes that lethal force is necessary, but the belief is unreasonable?
In some states, a murder charge can be reduced to voluntary manslaughter based on “imperfect self-defense” where the defendant actually believes that force is necessary and that lethal force is appropriate, but at least one of these beliefs is unreasonable.

Its worth a read, layout is easy.

I do not see what either MM or TM would gain if they had undressed JC. The fact that he was found naked by the LE suggests to me that he was undressed at the time of the assault. It would bolster, in my view, their DV claim if he had been dressed. Him being undressed suggests that he had retired for the night and was not engaging in an altercation with either his wife or father-in-law.

Also, I have seen nothing to suggest that MM and JC were not sharing a room. If in fact they were no longer sharing a room, I would have thought it would have been JC who moved to a spare room, not his wife. MM comes across as an individual who likes to get her own way. I do not see her happily leaving the master bedroom for a smaller spare room.

I do not see what either MM or TM would gain if they had undressed JC. The fact that he was found naked by the LE suggests to me that he was undressed at the time of the assault. It would bolster, in my view, their DV claim if he had been dressed. Him being undressed suggests that he had retired for the night and was not engaging in an altercation with either his wife or father-in-law.

Also, I have seen nothing to suggest that MM and JC were not sharing a room. If in fact they were no longer sharing a room, I would have thought it would have been JC who moved to a spare room, not his wife. MM comes across as an individual who likes to get her own way. I do not see her happily leaving the master bedroom for a smaller spare room.
Re room, I thought so too but I believe all the rooms are quite large and I wondered under what circumstances she would leave the room and I concluded one would do this if one had started a new relationship, she reportedly reconnected with an old boyfriend on facebook and may have re commenced that relationship before Jason died. That is the only circumstance I can think of that would make her change rooms.

Re room, I thought so too but I believe all the rooms are quite large and I wondered under what circumstances she would leave the room and I concluded one would do this if one had started a new relationship, she reportedly reconnected with an old boyfriend on facebook and may have re commenced that relationship before Jason died. That is the only circumstance I can think of that would make her change rooms.

True, although I still feel she would have kicked JC out of the marital room rather than leave herself. Do we know for sure he was found in the marital room? I'm trying to think off the top of my head as to whether they said he was found in a bedroom or the marital bedroom?

I'd say that the results of the search on MM's FB data would have been interesting. I have previously wondered as to why they never called her back in for a follow up interview. I had thought that there may have been some post that completely contradicts the story given to the LE. I'm sure all will come out in due course.

They both have different lawyers if I recall correctly - so will they be tried separately? This gives TM an opportunity to bamboozle the jury with reasonable doubt as to his role, but IMO Molly would not fare so well in court on her own. Very interesting to see if they turn on each other in the court room...

They both have different lawyers if I recall correctly - so will they be tried separately? This gives TM an opportunity to bamboozle the jury with reasonable doubt as to his role, but IMO Molly would not fare so well in court on her own. Very interesting to see if they turn on each other in the court room...

They do have different lawyers. I would assume that they can ask to be tried together or separately. I think the issue TM has is that he 'confessed' to hitting JC with a bat. My first thought was that he was trying to take sole blame in the hope that no charges would be brought against him as a former federal officer with a distinguished career.

I've been suspicious that she might be alleging a ongoing sexual component to the DV. That would provide her with an explanation for abandoning the Master bedroom and for Jason being naked.

In a house of that price point, in North Carolina, it would certainly have central air conditioning. Jason would not have been naked for that reason. But it could well have been just his normal habit at bedtime...that's not unusual.

But the comment in the 911 call, where TM says JC was drinking in the afternoon. That would be right before they left to travel there. Did Molly accuse Jason of DV while he was inebriated? And did it have a sexual component?

Rape and sexual assault are part of a national discussion today with new guidelines about Title IX causing controversies on campus that have generated many articles in news pro and con. Molly might well use a defense that brings with it many advocates before the details of HER case are even known.

Something makes me think that she is going to allege marital rape. That, of course, would have no witnesses to disprove her accusations.

All just speculation and opinion, of course.

I've been suspicious that she might be alleging a ongoing sexual component to the DV. That would provide her with an explanation for abandoning the Master bedroom and for Jason being naked.

In a house of that price point, in North Carolina, it would certainly have central air conditioning. Jason would not have been naked for that reason. But it could well have been just his normal habit at bedtime...that's not unusual.

But the comment in the 911 call, where TM says JC was drinking in the afternoon. That would be right before they left to travel there. Did Molly accuse Jason of DV while he was inebriated? And did it have a sexual component?

Rape and sexual assault are part of a national discussion today with new guidelines about Title IX causing controversies on campus that have generated many articles in news pro and con. Molly might well use a defense that brings with it many advocates before the details of HER case are even known.

Something makes me think that she is going to allege marital rape. That, of course, would have no witnesses to disprove her accusations.

All just speculation and opinion, of course.

I have been thinking this also and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me . The ultimate betrayal. Although they will have probably not thought it through because in the 911 call Tom says he was choking my daughter I intervened he said he was going to kill her. If rape was part of the scenario 1) I don't think Jason would be shouting "I'm going to kill you" 2) because being raped is a lot more serious than choking in my opinion I would mention that rather than choking to the dispatcher and 3) This definitely would something you would mention when being questioned . As far as we know it has never been mentioned and I hope it never will but I could see them saying something like that. Even if it swayed just one juror that would be a success in itself for them because from what we see with evidence that we have at hand things don't look good for them . I have read a few articles on Freedman he seems to be good at what he does and I really don't think he is looking for a plea bargain

If she tries this tactic there are some big pitfalls. Here's one...how are her parents suppose to protect her from sexual DV sleeping downstairs while she is upstairs? Why didn't she sleep in their room...as a parent of a victim, your safety is paramount not the most comfy bed.

Why drive to sleep in her abuser's house when she'd be safer at your house? When she picked up the kids, she could have just kept on going.

And if there is DV and it infuriates you so much as a parent that you can beat a man to death with a bat, maybe you should try the legal route THAT YOU KNOW SO WELL.

That is going nowhere. Especially when you take in her history of alleged lying.

My opinion only.

The idea that Jason participated in DV toward his wife that evening is ludicrous.

Facts:

1) His in laws, Tom and Sharon, had just arrived for a visit.
2) He was found undressed.

More than likely, the four of them engaged in a huge disagreement, Molly continued to boil, and when Jason retired for the evening, she exploded.

IMHO

The idea that Jason participated in DV toward his wife that evening is ludicrous.

Facts:

More than likely, the four of them engaged in a huge disagreement, Molly continued to boil, and when Jason retired for the evening, she exploded.

IMHO

Not sure about the other three but have no doubt that she exploded, Jason's autopsy might be the proof.

Been looking at some facts on NC laws as I am not familiar with them at all to be honest. I found this link that explains them very well and in simple terms. Im wondering if the laws in Tennessee are nearly similar as I am sure if they are Tom considered them when he came up with their story .Here is the link. Lots of useful information. Maybe by reading these we can come with what we expect them to say for their defence ? https://quizlet.com/2511762/nc-criminal-law-procedure-flash-cards/.

Facts:

IMHO

Completely agree. He probably told her earlier he was leaving with the children - for good - and she calls her parents to help plead her case. He stood his ground finally going to bed. Molly became enraged that he would not engage in further conversation, took a bat, and beat him to death while he was in bed most likely asleep.
That MO.

Been looking at some facts on NC laws as I am not familiar with them at all to be honest. I found this link that explains them very well and in simple terms. Im wondering if the laws in Tennessee are nearly similar as I am sure if they are Tom considered them when he came up with their story .Here is the link. Lots of useful information. Maybe by reading these we can come with what we expect them to say for their defence ? https://quizlet.com/2511762/nc-criminal-law-procedure-flash-cards/.
If I were an average defendant facing Jason's autopsy report, then have no doubt that I would be forced to plea. My attorney would have an uphill battle in defending me, an average citizen, in light of Jason's autopsy report. No matter what excuse I might offer, it can't be defended. But we all know that MM might NOT think that she is an average citizen, at least based on her FB posts. Please see http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/murder-accused-molly-martens-lashes-out-in-facebook-rant. MM clearly outlines her thoughts about the grand jury murder charges with this statement: "I cannot believe the level of slander, harassment, lies and absolute utter corruption. The truth does not matter. Shouldn’t the truth matter? Shouldn’t the truth prevail? Doesn’t anyone care about the truth?"

If I were an average defendant facing Jason's autopsy report, then have no doubt that I would be forced to plea. My attorney would have an uphill battle in defending me, an average citizen, in light of Jason's autopsy report. No matter what excuse I might offer, it can't be defended. But we all know that MM might NOT think that she is an average citizen, at least based on her FB posts. Please see http://evoke.ie/news/irish-news/murder-accused-molly-martens-lashes-out-in-facebook-rant. MM clearly outlines her thoughts about the grand jury murder charges with this statement: "I cannot believe the level of slander, harassment, lies and absolute utter corruption. The truth does not matter. Shouldn’t the truth matter? Shouldn’t the truth prevail? Doesn’t anyone care about the truth?"

I I have no idea what they are going to say. I do think something happened and we are probably all right in assuming that Jason was leaving and taking the children. Do the lawyers just have what we have or have they got more information of actually evidence leaving all interviews out of the equation .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx