GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this article on the link between Bipolar and crime and the difficulty using it as a defence. Just thought it was interesting.

Bipolar Illness and Crime: A Difficult Connection To Prove

http://www.nysun.com/health-fitness/bipolar-illness-and-crime-a-difficult-connection/80491/

Wow that is an excellent article. Thanks Frizby .It really gives me a better insight .Keiths account of Molly sounds very similar .
Mr. Kuby added that while bipolar disorder is primarily a mood disorder dealing with crashing depression followed by manic energy, "the insanity defense focuses on cognition, and reckless behaviour isn't an insanity defense."
Also interesting is the part where its states
Criminal defense attorney Arthur Aidala said that if a defendant has a well-documented case of bipolar disorder, then his lawyer can use it in an attempt to mitigate charges, especially in bringing a murder charge down to manslaughter.

All the talk of bipolar got me thinking in terms of what we have said previously about what options Molly had with regards to leaving Jason and obtaining custody of the children (this was in the context of the DV allegation). Obviously, under NC law she would have had the option to have the children removed from the biological parents custody if she could prove the DV, but I'm wondering if the bipolar diagnosis would have worked against her here. If she had tried to wrangle custody from Jason surely the first thing he would have countered with is the fact that she is bipolar.

I found some interesting forums on the issue - http://forums.psychcentral.com/bipolar/263629-custody-bipolar-parent.html

Thought the following excerpt was interesting given our case here...
'Looking for some insight from anyone who is familiar with child custody proceedings when one parent is bipolar. I am friends with a couple who are separated - the father is bipolar and has had extreme challenges over the past 3 years - on disability and in and out of inpatient, multiple medication changes with virtually no success. He is now not taking any meds, and while he seems much better than he was 6 months ago, he is clearly in a manic state - very grandiose thoughts, excessive spending, huge ego, some paranoia. He thinks he is smarter than Albert Einstein, for instance. However, we think he has his therapist fooled into thinking he is fine, and he claims a psychiatrist told him he does not need to be on meds anymore.

Obviously some similarities to statements we've heard in this case so far, but also interesting that the 'out' we first felt was open to Molly might not have been as easy as we first thought. This would have increased her sense of desperation at the situation if Jason had decided to end the relationship IMO.

Dale . I was wondering before you came to this forum had you heard much about this case in the media ? There may have been some media that we could have missed especially American . We could add it to the Media thread for future reference .
I live approx 3 hrs north of Winston-Salem in Va rather than NC and our local coverage hasn't picked it up. I think I was just surfing WS approx 5 days ago and found the case. Glad I did. Nice group of well spoken respectful group. Much different than the highly charged emotional group on the Atlanta hot car baby death Justin Ross Harris trial starting next week. Rightfully so, a baby died, but the father is considered guilty by the vast majority by many of the emotionally charged loving parents on WS. Have heard no defense arguments and they want him strung up with his boots on. If the dad is guilty I will also want him strung up. I appreciate you on this thread agreeing to disagree.

I'm just wondering. If there was an horrific car crash...and the driver who was at fault, who crossed the line and took all these innocent lives...if it was known that he was a diabetic off his medicine at the moment of the crash, would it be fair to the victims to keep that information from the jury?

Really?

And if there was a book , published years before the crash, talking about how the driver used to pass out from dizziness whenever he purposely decided to go off his meds, would it be fair to the victims to keep that from the jury?

And, moreover, what is the responsibility to the public at large, to have truth come out to protect the general public? What will MM do next time she is angry and frustrated? Are the people who are hosting the pity party absolutely certain that she would never ever kill again?
Great Post

I sort of wish Tricia would put her interviews in some format I could save and listen to on the move. I am a huge podcast fan. I have looked and Soundcloud/Iheartradio doesnt allow for recording.

Totally agree! A podcast would be great! I travel a lot for my job and true crime podcasts have made it much more enjoyable!

I live approx 3 hrs north of Winston-Salem in Va rather than NC and our local coverage hasn't picked it up. I think I was just surfing WS approx 5 days ago and found the case. Glad I did. Nice group of well spoken respectful group. Much different than the highly charged emotional group on the Atlanta hot car baby death Justin Ross Harris trial starting next week. Rightfully so, a baby died, but the father is considered guilty by the vast majority by many of the emotionally charged loving parents on WS. Have heard no defense arguments and they want him strung up with his boots on. If the dad is guilty I will also want him strung up. I appreciate you on this thread agreeing to disagree.

Thanks Dale . Poor baby very sad . I won't look at that one I may become one of those enraged emotional parents lol.

All the talk of bipolar got me thinking in terms of what we have said previously about what options Molly had with regards to leaving Jason and obtaining custody of the children (this was in the context of the DV allegation). Obviously, under NC law she would have had the option to have the children removed from the biological parents custody if she could prove the DV, but I'm wondering if the bipolar diagnosis would have worked against her here. If she had tried to wrangle custody from Jason surely the first thing he would have countered with is the fact that she is bipolar.

I found some interesting forums on the issue - http://forums.psychcentral.com/bipolar/263629-custody-bipolar-parent.html

Thought the following excerpt was interesting given our case here...
'Looking for some insight from anyone who is familiar with child custody proceedings when one parent is bipolar. I am friends with a couple who are separated - the father is bipolar and has had extreme challenges over the past 3 years - on disability and in and out of inpatient, multiple medication changes with virtually no success. He is now not taking any meds, and while he seems much better than he was 6 months ago, he is clearly in a manic state - very grandiose thoughts, excessive spending, huge ego, some paranoia. He thinks he is smarter than Albert Einstein, for instance. However, we think he has his therapist fooled into thinking he is fine, and he claims a psychiatrist told him he does not need to be on meds anymore.

Obviously some similarities to statements we've heard in this case so far, but also interesting that the 'out' we first felt was open to Molly might not have been as easy as we first thought. This would have increased her sense of desperation at the situation if Jason had decided to end the relationship IMO.

Could well be that Jason realised she is dangerous around children and he possibly told her as much.
Is that why he died?

Could well be that Jason realised she is dangerous around children and he possibly told her as much.
Is that why he died?

I think to be fair, if the detectives had actual proof of the premeditation they would have stuck with the Murder 1 charge. But it is inherently possible that Jason realised just how volatile Molly could be and that was part of his reasoning for leaving her. Which IMO backs up the Murder 2 charge, the more extenuating circumstances the prosecution can produce, the more successful they will be in achieving their goal IMO.

Totally agree! A podcast would be great! I travel a lot for my job and true crime podcasts have made it much more enjoyable!
do you ever listen to True Murder podcasts? I absolutely love that one.

I think to be fair, if the detectives had actual proof of the premeditation they would have stuck with the Murder 1 charge. But it is inherently possible that Jason realised just how volatile Molly could be and that was part of his reasoning for leaving her. Which IMO backs up the Murder 2 charge, the more extenuating circumstances the prosecution can produce, the more successful they will be in achieving their goal IMO.
Apart from difficulties in bringing murder 1, which we have discussed to death, do we have any idea of how the charge became de-escalated to 2?
was there some type of a plea entered to which we are not privy?

I need some forum help please. Following another case here on WS and someone typed "Bumping this thread up to page 1" this morning and now can no longer find the thread or any new post since 9:30 a.m. on a normally active thread. I am so confused

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1 feeling confused and trapped.gif
    1 feeling confused and trapped.gif
    764.6 KB · Views: 71
I need some forum help please. Following another case here on WS and someone typed "Bumping this thread up to page 1" this morning and now can no longer find the thread or any new post since 9:30 a.m. on a normally active thread. I am so confused

attachment.php
did you search for it?

(Subscribing per the invitation of searchinGirl :wave:)

attachment.php

maybe look at your activity on your profile

Apart from difficulties in bringing murder 1, which we have discussed to death, do we have any idea of how the charge became de-escalated to 2?

I has thought it simply they could not prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that the crime was premeditated. I recall someone making comparisons to the Casey Anthony case.

Not sure about a plea kitty, but I would imagine the DA had to take into consideration that despite whatever motive evidence they could find on Molly, the reality is TM (and presumably Sharon) are all singing from the same hymn sheet and claiming domestic dispute/self defense. The likelihood of a jury unanimously convicting a Murder 1 charge for both of them is highly unlikely and so Murder 2 charges were sought.

Would be interesting if there was a plea though...

Not sure about a plea kitty, but I would imagine the DA had to take into consideration that despite whatever motive evidence they could find on Molly, the reality is TM (and presumably Sharon) are all singing from the same hymn sheet and claiming domestic dispute/self defense. The likelihood of a jury unanimously convicting a Murder 1 charge for both of them is highly unlikely and so Murder 2 charges were sought.

Would be interesting if there was a plea though...

Part of an editorial:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...ution-death-penalty-bar-high-article-1.160804

"As the verdict was read in the Casey Anthony murder trial on Tuesday in a Florida courtroom, our collective jaws dropped.

How could the jury possibly find Anthony not guilty of murdering her daughter, Caylee? Wasn't Anthony a sociopathic party girl who didn't want to be a young unwed mother, so she killed her own daughter in cold blood?

That is certainly the image of her portrayed by the prosecutor and the news media during the course of the highly publicized trial. But while the public and the media generally blame Anthony for Caylee's murder, the jury was unconvinced by the prosecutor's case against her - and there are several understandable reasons why.

It must be remembered that the burden of proof on the prosecution of any trial is guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. That is a very high hurdle to clear in a criminal case, especially one involving the grave allegation of murder.

Against Anthony, the prosecutor employed an extremely high-risk strategy by charging her with first-degree murder and, in addition, asking for capital punishment. This strategy meant that all of the jurors had to be willing and prepared to apply the death sentence if, in the end, they believed that Anthony was guilty of the premeditated murder of her daughter. But before that, they had to be convinced of her guilt in order to do so, and that strenuous burden of proof weighed heavily on the state throughout the trial.

Indeed, capital punishment is a very difficult decision for a jury to reach in a first-degree murder trial, even when there is direct forensic evidence of the crime - such as, for example, the murder weapon with the defendant's fingerprints on it.

But in this trial, however, the state had only a "circumstantial" case against Anthony, meaning that none of the evidence linked Anthony directly to Caylee's murder. Although it is not impossible (Scott Peterson, convicted in 2004 of killing Laci Peterson, being a notable exception), juries rarely convict or invoke the death penalty in first-degree murder trials when all of the evidence is circumstantial.

In just about every case, jurors like to see the "smoking gun." But in this case, the most convincing evidence was the "smell of death" and presence of Caylee's hair in the trunk of Anthony's car that showed postmortem growth (i.e., occurring after death). Although powerful, it was still circumstantial evidence.

There is also the question of motive on Anthony's part. She was portrayed by the prosecutor as a lying and irresponsible party girl who wanted her freedom. However, there was no evidence at all in the trial that Anthony was either abusive or neglectful of Caylee. Moreover, the mother had no prior criminal record.

In short, the evidence presented by the prosecution was simply not enough to fully convince the jury that Anthony was guilty of murder - and the jury clearly sensed as much.

Arguably, the prosecution "overcharged" the case against Anthony and would have been better off going with a charge of nonnegligent manslaughter or even second-degree murder, both of which do not require proof of deliberation or premeditation by the defendant. In the end, boldness did not carry the day.

Snip"

Note the sentence..."DO NOT REQUIRE proof." You can show it if you have it...show everything you find...but the Prosecution is NOT REQUIRED to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme