GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forensic pathologists are often recalled to give evidence of the effect the injuries had on the victim at the closure of the trial and I would not be surprised if this happened here. The overkill here was gross and does not fit into “reasonable force” for self-defense.

A good performance from TM from the way i see it.

He stuck to his story.

The loosing of the glasses is a good addition. Basically the prosecution are claiming that MM was under threat, it was chaotic and in the chaos JC ended up dead. The chaos does not allow TM or MM to recall the exact specifics of what happened.

At least it is a narrative with a beginning and an end.

The prosecution has not "opened doors" either to allow significant rebuttal.

Does anyone else feel disappointed with the information presented at trial?

People on this board know more than the jurors. They are not judging on what actually happened but on what was presented to them.

Thanks to all for the updates.
Yes, I feel similarly. It seems the prosecution is leaving things out or presenting a very streamlined case. And this trial is just zipping along so quickly. (I think I got used to all the delays and SIDEBARS of the Arias trial.) I just pray that the jury sees the big picture and finds them guilty.

[FONT=&amp]Mr Martens served in criminal investigation and counter-intelligence for over 31 years with the bureau where he was also trained in self defence.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]When asked if he was trained in how to defend himself without the use of deadly force, Mr Martens paused before unfurling a more complex answer. Saying he was trained in deadly force, he said he is not sure he has the type of training Mr Brown described.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In response to a question of whether he would have protected his daughter from her husband before 2 August 2015, Mr Martens said: "I’m not sure how to answer that."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Explaining that it was not a simple yes or no answer, he said he would need to know the specific circumstances surrounding any hypothetical occasion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]If informed Mr Corbett was abusing his daughter, Mr Martens said he would encourage her to take measures to protect herself, including possibly dissolving her marriage. If she was being physically abused in front of him, Mr Martens said he would intervene.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mr Martens said he had no definitive information of any violent encounters in which Mr Corbett inflicted injury to Ms Martens-Corbett in Ireland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]He added that he did not witness any physical violence between Mr Corbett and his daughter prior to 2 August 2015.[/FONT]
Defendant does not remember if he washed his hands afterwards
[FONT=&quot]The prosecutor asked if Mr Martens lost control and how long it took to call 911.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]"It took a couple of minutes to gather myself, take a deep breath," Mr Martens said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He estimated it took two minutes to collect himself, before then asking his daughter to find a phone and call 911.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr Martens said he does not remember if either he or his daughter washed their hands before using the phone to call for emergency help. Prior to the 911 call, neither Mr Martens or his daughter started CPR on Jason Corbett, he testified.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When asked whether he moved the vacuum cleaner, he said he didn't think so, but allowed it was conceivable that in the hectic time of trying to administer CPR while on the phone with the 911 operator, he could have moved it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He also said he did not remember washing his hands at any point prior to being interviewed at the sheriff's office.[/FONT]

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0804/895294-corbett/

heres the bat picture I referred to a while ago, stephen kindly found
was Dec 18 and around same time as dailymail article

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...347225.-2207520000.1501878964.&type=3&theater

in my opinion that does not appear to be a baseball bat case. Both the length and circumference appear too small. The barrel of the bat should be a maximum diameter of 2 3/4 inches to 2 5/8. And the length 28 inches. It looks more like a case for a child's umbrella. Again this is only my opinion.

Yes, I feel similarly. It seems the prosecution is leaving things out or presenting a very streamlined case. And this trial is just zipping along so quickly. (I think I got used to all the delays and SIDEBARS of the Arias trial.) I just pray that the jury sees the big picture and finds them guilty.

It will come down to the presentation of the closing arguments. I have seen skimpy cases where the prosecutor orated a powerful closing, tying all the pieces together beautifully and I was awestruck.

eta: Juan Martinez, the prosecutor during the Jodi Arias trial, presented this type of powerful closing.

[FONT=&quot]Martens constantly said throughout that he didn't know if his wife heard anything or that he didn't remember

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martens said he doesn't remember if he or Molly washed blood off their clothes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/893599022144999424[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"We came back down the hallway, and we're back in the bedroom," Mr Martens said. "I get a chance to hit him, only this time, he's ready for me. He catches the bat in the palm of his hand perfectly.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Molly [escaped] ... but now he has the bat and I'm still holding the bat. He reaches out with his left hand and shoves me across the room, and I'm face down in the carpet."[/FONT]

So from a bat length away Jason had enough strength to propel a grown man across a room? So he landed face down in the carpet? Having had beers and cocktails AND having already suffered numerous blows to the head? I need to re-read the crime scene info again, but wasn't there tissue matter found in the hallway...so in theory after losing part of his scalp...

[FONT=&amp]Things look pretty bleak. He's got the bat and is in a good, athletic position.[/FONT]

Despite being naked and bloodied I guess...

[FONT=&amp]Molly is by the nightstand[/FONT]
Doing???

JC was trying to get away as TM hit JC as many times as TM could!!! JC was NOT trying to close the bedroom door! Maybe, just maybe, JC was trying to open the bedroom door to get away from the merciless attack!!! JC was shown no mercy. Maybe, just maybe, TM did not want JC to open the bedroom door?!!!

He said Mr Corbett continued to edge down the hallway. Mr Martens said at this point he hit Mr Corbett as many times as he could, claiming that it was in order to prevent Mr Corbett from closing the bedroom door.

[FONT=&amp]Okay also of note, Martens said he didn't recall making any indentations on the bedroom walls or bathroom walls

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/893600906880712705[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Are the prosecution saying he did this after always suspected that [/FONT]

[video=twitter;893600906880712705]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/893600906880712705[/video]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/weeping-father-tells-jury-he-hit-jason-corbett-because-he-feared-for-his-and-daughters-life-800841.html

That’s because, Martens said, Jason was taller than Molly and he had her in a tight choke hold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The hit only made Jason angrier, Martens said. Molly was no longer wiggling in Jason’s grip, according to Martens.

I wonder if Molly learned how to get out of a choke-hold in her self defense kick boxing class?[/FONT]

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170804/martens-jason-corbett-said-im-going-to-kill-her

IMO Tom and Molly are up the creek without a paddle

[FONT=&quot]In the afternoon court session, Martens told the prosecution that Jason Corbett appeared “particularly intoxicated” upon his arrival.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The prosecution said that in Martens’ statement to the Department of Energy, Martens claimed that he didn’t hear screaming and that he told his wife that he was “going to go up there to calm them down or call the police.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martens continued to state that he did not recall his statements to the Department of Energy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Earlier in the trial, the court displayed photos that show indentations on the walls of the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Martens said he did not recall causing any of the indentations.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assistant District Attorney Greg Brown then asked Martens, “Are you trying to take the blame for your daughter?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After testimonies, the judge excused the jury out of the room, and declared that prior statements by Jack and Sarah Corbett would not be allowed in court.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Corbett children previously made statements regarding potential domestic violence between Molly Corbett and Jason Corbett. The judge ruled that the statements did not pass the necessary level of trustworthiness while also mentioning that some of the statements were recanted by the children.[/FONT]

Thank the Lord!!

[video=twitter;893573965792280576]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/893573965792280576[/video]

And I believed this to be the Ms' major prop to their argument to DV. There is no evidence of DV except TM claim he saw black marks on MM. And to back it all up there was never a complaint to the police or to her lawyer when she sought advise to custody of the C kids. I believed she had got the C kids to make coached statement but it seems they were full of conjecture thus inadmissible. Sometimes the courts can instruct the jury to take account of delayed duress as a partial defense to overreaction allowing manslaughter as a verdict where there is a past history of DV. So there goes the DV causation down the chute.

[FONT=&quot]"In the afternoon court session, Martens told the prosecution that Jason Corbett appeared “particularly intoxicated” upon his arrival.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The prosecution said that in Martens’ statement to the Department of Energy, Martens claimed that he didn’t hear screaming and that he told his wife that he was “going to go up there to calm them down or call the police.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martens continued to state that he did not recall his statements to the Department of Energy."

All from Ben Coley's report in Lex Dispatch. Two things..... TM said Jason was particularly intoxicated - his friend who was drinking the beers with him said he was absolutely fine. Crucially, TM is admitting he had a conversation with SM who by implication had to have been awake before TM went upstairs. Can't say she slept through it now. Was awake listening to the noise getting worse and worse, imagine the sound of a bat hitting the wall and we are all expected to believe she stayed where she was.... Also I note the tweets said JC MAY HAVE HAD a moljito but the newspaper report says HE HAD one. Two distinctly different things.. If JC was "particularly intoxicated" I doubt he would have been able to "make nice" with TM.[/FONT]

Of course, TM would rather have the baseball bat than not, he brought it with him. No need to call 911, he brought his solution with him, 911 can wait.:jail: Not so sure TM thinks it seems like a good idea now.

David Freedman, representing Mr Martens, asked why he had grabbed the bat and if he called the emergency services.

"It seemed like a good idea. I'd rather have the baseball bat than not," he said. "I did not call 911. I reacted instinctively and did not think to call 911."

I think, from the bits we've heard, that the prosecution has clearly shown overkill. But if MM does not take the stand, we've heard nothing about her involvement other than TM portaying her as an absolutely passive victim. I'm concerned that the jury finds him guilty but doubt with her. I hope not, as I believe she was very much a part of it, but I hope the prosecution comes back strong on rebuttal. #justiceforjason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

From earlier reports it seemed that TM may have come across as quite a competent witness, but I feel now his lack of memory regarding certain facts and statements will certainly prompt the jury to question his authenticity!

[FONT=&quot]When asked if he was trained in how to defend himself without the use of deadly force, Mr Martens paused before unfurling a more complex answer. Saying he was trained in deadly force, he said he is not sure he has the type of training Mr Brown described.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]In response to a question of whether he would have protected his daughter from her husband before 2 August 2015, Mr Martens said: "I’m not sure how to answer that."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Explaining that it was not a simple yes or no answer, he said he would need to know the specific circumstances surrounding any hypothetical occasion.[/FONT]
...this could be viewed as quite belligerent IMO.

[video=twitter;893599022144999424]https://twitter.com/LexDispatchBC/status/893599022144999424[/video]

To make this statement and then be confronted with a statement in direct contradiction would IMO show a complete lack of credibility.

It will come down to the presentation of the closing arguments. I have seen skimpy cases where the prosecutor orated a powerful closing, tying all the pieces together beautifully and I was awestruck.

eta: Juan Martinez, the prosecutor during the Jodi Arias trial, presented this type of powerful closing.
The case has all the hallmarks of gross overkill by 2 on 1 prob sleeping and drugged but the verdict is the juries and as we all know they can be unpredictable at best and worst.

Seems TM doesn't recall a lot.

[FONT=&quot]The prosecution said that in Martens’ statement to the Department of Energy, Martens claimed that he didn’t hear screaming and that he told his wife that he was “going to go up there to calm them down or call the police.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Martens continued to state that he did not recall his statements to the Department of Energy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Earlier in the trial, the court displayed photos that show indentations on the walls of the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Martens said he did not recall causing any of the indentations.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assistant District Attorney Greg Brown then asked Martens, “Are you trying to take the blame for your daughter?”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martens responded by saying, “No, I’m taking responsibility for what I did.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martens said he didn’t recall washing blood off his clothes and did not recall moving the vacuum.[/FONT]

http://www.the-dispatch.com/news/20170804/martens-jason-corbett-said-im-going-to-kill-her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member