GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much of the court discussion we are missing.

Based on what i have heard i am not sure how the jury is in a position to make any judgement at all.

I hope that both the prosecution and defense make some attempt to outline a narrative during closing.

I would think she didnt know.. and believed with Jason dead she would get the children...Some shock when the will appeared

I would have loved to have seen her face. But I think the defence are trying to imply that she knew so why would she want him dead.

Seriously so few to testify as to their good characters and DV ....it would make you think long and hard ...If you weren't already. If trial wraps up today, she's not testifying and her brother's were only witness, think it may be game over!

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

The problem with the defense introducing good character evidence in the trial stage it can open the big wide door for bad character evidence to come in by the state. If they had done that during the guilt phase then the state would have had a rebuttal to call their own bad character witnesses.

If convicted the defense can bring in good character witnesses then but so can the state bring in its own bad character witnesses.

I sure hope the jury takes note how JCs homicide was an overkill and very gruesome and brutal in the way they killed him. No way the defense could convince me this homicide was in self defense. This was a brutal attack by not only one but by two heartless individuals.

I don't think they could bring in anyone about the supposed DV claim that would have credibility in the jury's eyes. Often jurors discount claims testified by family members or friends of the defendant/s since they have a vested interest to help the defendants. The forensic evidence is the most compelling evidence and it has no biases either way. It shows JC was the only one attacked and they were not since neither had any defensive wounds on them.

JMO

The problem with the defense introducing good character evidence in the trial stage it can open the big wide door for bad character evidence to come in by the state. If they had done that during the guilt phase then the state would have had a rebuttal to call their own bad character witnesses.

If convicted the defense can bring in good character witnesses then but so can the state bring in its own bad character witnesses.

I sure hope the jury takes note how JCs homicide was an overkill and very gruesome and brutal in the way they killed him. No way the defense could convince me this homicide was in self defense. This was a brutal attack by not only one but by two heartless individuals.

I don't think they could bring in anyone about the supposed DV claim that would have credibility in the jury's eyes. Often jurors discount claims testified by family members or friends of the defendant/s since they have a vested interest to help the defendants. The forensic evidence is the most compelling evidence and it has no biases either way. It shows JC was the only one attacked and they were not since neither had any defensive wounds on them.

JMO
Thanks oceanblue, I am far from well learned in this law stuff but I think one thing I can say is that I'm rooting for justice for jc and praying it comes, although I know it will never console his family.

Sent from my SM-T561 using Tapatalk

Are there any predictions on whether rendering a verdict will be quick or lengthy?

It seems the defense have given up, maybe the forensic evidence is too overwhelming. Therefore I'd expect it to be quick. They may debate a bit over MM though

[video=twitter;894589366827450373]https://twitter.com/bobcostner/status/894589366827450373[/video]

Defense rests in Corbett case after some additional documents evidence was read by the jury. Closing arguments expected after lunch.

[video=twitter;894589643605331970]https://twitter.com/lexdispatchbc/status/894589643605331970[/video]

Defense renews its motion to dismiss the case, judge once again denies the motion

[video=twitter;894589751302520832]https://twitter.com/tvtdaniel/status/894589751302520832[/video]

Jurors released for lunch, to return at 1:30 p.m. Closing arguments tentatively set for that time.

[video=twitter;894589659958976516]https://twitter.com/MalloryLaneWXII/status/894589659958976516[/video]

Websleuths seems to have gone really quiet all of a sudden. I can only presume everyone is in shock.
Has anyone any ideas what the jury will make of the lack of evidence by the defense?

I wonder how much of the court discussion we are missing.

Based on what i have heard i am not sure how the jury is in a position to make any judgement at all.

I hope that both the prosecution and defense make some attempt to outline a narrative during closing.

I would say we are missing a large amount of evidence/testimony. This isn't uncommon when the trial isn't live streamed minute by minute where we all get to see/hear every bit of evidence/testimony that has been entered for ourselves.

A case like that happened not too long ago and just based on the tweets and the reporters analysis of the testimony each day in that trial everyone worried the state wasn't proving the case BARD. That was in the Sierra Lamar case. Yet in the end AGT was found guilty on all charges of kidnapping, raping, and murdering Sierra, and was also found guilty on three other kidnapping attempt charges.

Yes, the state will wrap it all together during closing arguments but if we don't get to see what all has been testified to during the trial we still will not know everything.

Sometimes in summation the state will not include something they feel is less important to mention and that may be the very thing that turns out to be a very important factor for the jurors. In a lot of cases we discuss here we would think certain evidence was the most compelling for guilt yet when and if the jurors spoke out later it was something even we overlooked that they found most compelling that pushed them over to the side of the defendant/s being guilty as charged.

I think the state has presented a good case for Murder 2. I don't see how the jury can even consider a lesser degree based on just what we do know and there was much more entered than what has been in the news.

If they believe the attack all started when JC was in his own bed then they will come back with a G on Murder 2 imo and rightly so.

IMO

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the professional informed opinion is what counts..Facts are just facts, the factual evidence proves it wasnt self defence..Read the evidence again, the description of his shattered skull that the et's hand slid through, the blood spatter evidence that the attack started when J was in bed, when he was on the ground, hit again when he was dead, none of the blood spatter expert evidence was contested by defence. They claim self defence but have no evidence of it

Does anybody know how it works if/when found guilty, are they entitled to appeal and would that result in another court case or is that it? If they do appeal, do they get sent to prison in the meantime? Sorry not familiar with NC laws.

I am in shock I don't know about anybody else. No evidence at all not even the deadly mix of tradazone and alcohol. They basically have provided no reason Jason would attack them for the need for them to defend themselves. Nothing

Are there any predictions on whether rendering a verdict will be quick or lengthy?

Its really hard to say and depends if they take a straw vote right after they start deliberating showing how close or far apart they are. Harmony2 as you well know we have seen cases where we thought the jury would be out for days and days yet came back with a verdict rather quickly and the other way around.

Its almost impossible to predict how long the jurors will take. I wish for the sake of JCs loved one it would be rather quickly although I do think the jurors will deliberate at least a couple of days or three.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the professional informed opinion is what counts..Facts are just facts, the factual evidence proves it wasnt self defence..Read the evidence again, the description of his shattered skull that the et's hand slid through, the blood spatter evidence that the attack started when J was in bed, when he was on the ground, hit again when he was dead, none of the blood spatter expert evidence was contested by defence. They claim self defence but have no evidence of it

The defense does not have to prove it was self defense, the prosecution has to prove it was not.

Closing arguments should be interesting.

In a way, I think it was pretty smart not to "protest too much".

I am in shock I don't know about anybody else. No evidence at all not even the deadly mix of tradazone and alcohol. They basically have provided no reason Jason would attack them for the need for them to defend themselves. Nothing

Yes I am in shock too. Can't believe the evidence we know of that wasn't presented to the jury. Msybe it is cleaner for the jury to look at what happened that night without everything before and after?

My guess based on only what we have heard here:

Deliberations fairly quick.
TM...guilty second degree murder
MM...guilty voluntary manslaughter.

But I kept thinking I'd lost my hearing when the jury came back in the Casey Anthony case...so it's just a guess...and a prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbieP