MISTRIAL NC - Jonathan Ferrell, 24, fatally shot by LE, Charlotte, 14 Sep 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't commented on this case because I really don't know what to say. It's such an unnecessary tragedy. It did not have to end this way. LE really needs to either provide more thorough and rigorous training for their officers or do a better job of weeding out the trigger happy ones. Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking all around.

I know if there was pounding on my door in the middle of the night and I was alone I would have called police most likely hysterical.

That being said, I wonder if he said anything to her?? That he was in an accident? That he was hurt??

I can not wrap my head around shooting someone 10 times that had no weapon. I just can not see why that would happen within the bounds of the law.

As much as many of us love to debate shades of gray in every case, I can't find many here. The guy was probably in shock from the accident, maybe even a head injury. If he was a football player I assume he was a big guy and that can be intimidating, fine. But "running unarmed towards a cop while being a big guy" should not be a capital offense, and 12 shots/10 hits is literal overkill.

By the way in New York cops just shot two women who were bystanders, while trying to shoot some apparently disturbed guy-who wasn't armed either. And-no charges so far and I doubt any would be coming.
Sorry. I'm missing the point of this post. Could you clarify what you mean?

My bet is there may not be charges, but the SAH will be lawsuits, and the taxpayers in NY (or is it NYC?) will be footing the bill on this one.

10 Bullets. Even his own are saying he had no cause to discharge his weapon.

snipped by me for space

I suspect that the ethnicity of the victim has a great deal to do with the officer leaping to conclusions and shooting him. That is just my opinion.

What a mess and what a tragedy. :(

I thought so too, but wasn't sure if we were allowed to bring up the element of race in this case on this thread. JMO, but I think situation has the potential to put the Dunn/Davis case in Florida in the shade for discussion and MSM coverage.

"Stay right there, I'm calling an ambulance." <--- the logical thing to say a door-pounder at 2am, saying he's hurt, if you don't feel safe opening the door.

Kneejerk, all round, and an another innocent man is dead. To live in such an atmosphere of abject fear must be terrible.

"Stay right there, I'm calling an ambulance." <--- the logical thing to say a door-pounder at 2am, saying he's hurt, if you don't feel safe opening the door.

Kneejerk, all round, and an another innocent man is dead. To live in such an atmosphere of abject fear must be terrible.

I've yet to see any reports that the man was able to articulate that he was hurt and needed an ambulance.

Sorry. I'm missing the point of this post. Could you clarify what you mean?

My bet is there may not be charges, but the SAH will be lawsuits, and the taxpayers in NY (or is it NYC?) will be footing the bill on this one.

Very unusual for a police officer to be charged in a job related shooting, especially that quickly.

As much as many of us love to debate shades of gray in every case, I can't find many here. The guy was probably in shock from the accident, maybe even a head injury. If he was a football player I assume he was a big guy and that can be intimidating, fine. But "running unarmed towards a cop while being a big guy" should not be a capital offense, and 12 shots/10 hits is literal overkill.

Not only is it not a capital offense, it's not any offense, period. And the officer did not identify himself as police.

Heartbreaking </3

http://www.wral.com/hearing-set-for-nc-officer-who-shot-unarmed-man/12893813/

O/t for locals: There was a cop-related shooting today in downtown Durham...and we stumbled into the scene downtown walking to a restaurant for dinner. (More police than I have ever seen in one place, tape, news crews...we ended up parking behind a WRAL van.) From what I understand/overheard from bystanders, it was suicide by cop (he had a gun), and they tried very hard not to shoot him. There is probably a writeup on WRAL by now.

I listened to the 911 call now. It's hard to make out all the words (her alarm was going off at first), but she sounds very freaked out.

Also for those that believe 911 is better than a weapon....listen to that full length 911 call and the anguish in the callers voice and imagine yourself sitting there for several minutes waiting for the cops to arrive KNOWING the possible killer on the other side of the door could be inside your house in 30 seconds with you and your baby.

The 911 call is painful to hear. It took LE over 11 minutes to arrive which seems like an eternity considering her alleged "B&E-in-process" claim. The multiple concurrent conversations going on didn't help the situation. The alarm company added to the chaos by seeming to completely interfere with her interaction with 911. What were they going to do, have their audio system say: "Leave the premises now!"? And for her sake, I can understand why her husband hides the gun.

But that's neither here nor there, and doesn't excuse the officer's actions. Whatever happens regarding charges and lawsuits against this officer won't bring Jonathan, the victim, back. My heart hurts for his loved ones.

i dont blame the lady who got freaked out and called 911. She isnt the one to blame. It was the police officer who shot this guy 10 times and normally I give the police a lot of slack, but not this time.

Nice to see someone mention A clockwork Orange, one of my favorite movies!!!!!!!

I don't blame the woman either, At that time at night with someone pounding on my door, I would have been freaked too. She opened the door too.

My concern comes from the shooting and the way it occurred. I think that if he had shot once, and killed him, I could still get behind the man was screaming and acting out and the cop felt threatened. But from what I hear the shots are
ONE TWO THREE FOUR.. Pause.. FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE, THEN, PAUSE ELEVEN TWELVE.
It sounds like he was trying to kill him. That is disturbing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
viceroy9101
Back