GUILTY NC - Kathleen Peterson, 48, found dead in her Durham home, 9 Dec 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know what? I am about done with following true crime.

No longer does justice prevail.

On the Staircase documentary I am watching, we see Werner Spitz and Henry Lee talking about how all the injuries were accidental.

I am so sick of all the bought and paid for testimony and game playing. Why is justice no longer a search for the truth? Has it always been a game of who can win, regardless of who is right?

I would like to see a world where defence attorneys did their best to defend their client, but if they knew their client was guilty, they didn't try and ******** the evidence to give it a different sheen and try and make their client look innocent.

In my perfect utopian world these "experts" such as Henry Lee, Werner Spitz, Michael Baden, etc would be given a case but not know which side they were ruling for.

IE: The Judge in the case gives them the details. They don't know if it is the defence or the prosecution they are working for. All findings are reported to the judge.

That way, they won't spin the details to match whichever side they are arguing for.

I am SO jaded and so sick of killers getting away with it.

I was just informed of this. I can't believe they are giving this Guilty SOB a new trial. He murdered two women and now again.

Take a look at the pics and the evidence from the old trial. Look it over.

Are they nuts is all I can add.

Get back in PRISON Michael.

OMG, we are going to set this man free, are we nuts. What is wrong with our system.

Goz

I have posted before that I think he will never be retried, there will be some sort of compromise such as an Alford plea,

I doubt he will ever spend another day in jail, which is an absolute disgrace in my opinion as I believe he has murdered two women

I have posted before that I think he will never be retried, there will be some sort of compromise such as an Alford plea,

I doubt he will ever spend another day in jail, which is an absolute disgrace in my opinion as I believe he has murdered two women

Peterson has been released and his conviction overturned, so I don't really see why he would take an Alford plea. The state is in a weak position here between the evidence that will be thrown out and the whiff of prosecutorial misconduct and perjury hanging over the original conviction. If I was in Peterson's position I wouldn't take an Alford plea.

Peterson has been released and his conviction overturned, so I don't really see why he would take an Alford plea. The state is in a weak position here between the evidence that will be thrown out and the whiff of prosecutorial misconduct and perjury hanging over the original conviction. If I was in Peterson's position I wouldn't take an Alford plea.

I think he won't take the chance of a retrial, even though the states case is decimated as far as forensic evidence is concerned if the state is allowed to bring in the similar fact evidence of the first murder in Germany then he does stand a chance of being convicted again

he is free, I doubt he wishes to spend his remaining years in prison, and he would be taking a huge gamble on a retrial, I think there will be a compromise deal that suits both sides and makes this go away before any retrial

in any new trial the events surrounding his conviction being over turned will more than likely not be allowed to be mentioned, he will just be tried on the murder charge as if no trial had ever happened before, the judge will most probably rule that all the events surrounding the over turning of his conviction are not relevant to the new trial

That death in Germany was never proven to be murder, was it? Peterson was certainly never convicted of it.

Given the huge expense of the first trial, and the current disarray on the prosecution side, I think the chances of the state ever going to retrial if Peterson calls their bluff is close to zero. In his shoes I would refuse any offer of a plea deal, but I suppose what happens next depends on how much cojones Peterson possesses.

I've often wondered what ever happened to the Elizabeth Ratliff case....I thought they were going to re-investigate her death after she was exhumed and they found she had been murdered?

That death in Germany was never proven to be murder, was it? Peterson was certainly never convicted of it.

Given the huge expense of the first trial, and the current disarray on the prosecution side, I think the chances of the state ever going to retrial if Peterson calls their bluff is close to zero. In his shoes I would refuse any offer of a plea deal, but I suppose what happens next depends on how much cojones Peterson possesses.

Elizabeth Ratliff featured heavily in the trial, her new autopsy stated she died because of blunt force trauma and was murdered, MP was never charged but her case was used to show that Peterson was involved in the deaths of 2 women who were found in very similar circumstances, which if they are allowed to use the similar fact evidence in a second trial he may once again be convicted,

and I think the state will wish to retry him no matter what it costs, they appear willing to fight him over things such as the removal of his tag, that to me shows they will not walk away - in my opinion they can't, he was freed because they screwed up they need to show that he can be convicted inspite of there screw ups,

so as I previously opined there will more than likely be some kind of deal

I've often wondered what ever happened to the Elizabeth Ratliff case....I thought they were going to re-investigate her death after she was exhumed and they found she had been murdered?

he was never charged but her murder was used at the trial to show that MP was involved in the murders of 2 women who were found in very similar circumstances, so it was implied that he murdered them both

Elizabeth Ratliff featured heavily in the trial, her new autopsy stated she died because of blunt force trauma and was murdered, MP was never charged but her case was used to show that Peterson was involved in the deaths of 2 women who were found in very similar circumstances, which if they are allowed to use the similar fact evidence in a second trial he may once again be convicted,

and I think the state will wish to retry him no matter what it costs, they appear willing to fight him over things such as the removal of his tag, that to me shows they will not walk away - in my opinion they can't, he was freed because they screwed up they need to show that he can be convicted inspite of there screw ups,

so as I previously opined there will more than likely be some kind of deal

Hmmm...I have to wonder if an Alford plea would satisfy the state's need to prove it can reconvict him in spite of screw ups. OTOH, in Peterson's shoes I wouldn't take one anyway.

We'll see I suppose...

Hmmm...I have to wonder if an Alford plea would satisfy the state's need to prove it can reconvict him in spite of screw ups. OTOH, in Peterson's shoes I wouldn't take one anyway.

We'll see I suppose...

the state would jump for joy in my opinion if he was willing to plead guilty to murder under an Alford plea, quick, cheap and all loose ends tied up,

no need to reconvict him saying he is guilty would allow them to say yeah we screwed up but we knew he was guilty all along and he got conviction squashed on a technicality,

from the hearing over his tag being removed also seems Kathleens family will not be allowing it to be left unresolved, seems her sisters are still as angry today as they ever were

We'll see.

Either way, even if he takes an Alford plea it will be in return for time served. So, unfortunately for those of us who believe he's guilty, he's not going back to prison for it.

Words truly fail me at this time. I remember so clearly watching his trial on CTV and thinking how unlikely it is for 2 partners to die falling down the stairs. IIRC, didn't the daughters he took in from his first partner support him? The only other case I can compare this case to is the D. Peterson case and his ex spouses

I will try to reserve judgement until his new trial...but my hinky meter is way up. BTW , how many owl's have attacked since this incident.?[/QUOTE]

bolded by me

ZOMG...that is an awesome question....totally giggling :floorlaugh:

And whutttt is up with these seemingly infinite number of 'do-overs' for a trial...????

We'll see.

Either way, even if he takes an Alford plea it will be in return for time served. So, unfortunately for those of us who believe he's guilty, he's not going back to prison for it.

I agree, I don't think he will serve one more day in prison, and I too think he murdered 2 women

When I saw this thread you could have knocked me over with a feather!
What is to stop MP from running? He is guilty and I am sure he knows he will be found guilty again. He's also been in the military and lived in other countries. If I were in his shoes I definitely would plan an escape.
Still in shock but will not be shocked if he runs. Why in the heck did they not keep him locked up for trial?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back