NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Noway, we do know just a bit more since I made that statement.
Just last week I said I would not be surprised if it was random or if DH had something to do with it. Today's news changed my mind and I really have no doubt DH was not the perpetrator....IMO of course.

JTF - you have gone back and forth.

Which is ok.....with what info has been given. Please don't assume that we all know what you know, or that we should take what you have "heard" as gospel.

It's all speculation at this point, even with the warrants and the 911 calls released.

This 'person' who attacked Kathy slunk away in the darkness. Probably thinks he will get away with this. But what he has done is shine a huge spotlight on Kathy. There are now hundreds of people out there who think about her, about her life, and about how it ended. I never knew her, and don't know anyone who does...but today when I was in my own backyard, fussing with plants and sitting in the sun, I thought about Kathy Taft. I thought about how she was deprived of those simple pleasures by someone who didn't belong in the same room with her. So instead of taking her life, he actually has expanded her circle of friends, friends who want justice for her. I know she is in a better place, but that does not in any way help her children, her loved ones. I feel in my heart this person will be caught.

Lots of people with an addiction are extremely good at covering their tracks, once they are sober. the ones with alcoholic blackouts have gaps in their memory.... i am experiencing that myself, but not from liquor!
While i am here, let me just say how glad i am to have all the ideas that are expressed here. it is great to have someone say the exact thing that i am thinking, or to express an idea i just wouldn't have thought of. i am wondering how many are actually actively assigned to this case.

What are the Odds?

This is turning out to be an extremely unusual crime.

Percentages of Murders using a blunt instrument: approx 5%

Percentages of Murders where a sexual assault takes place: approx 1-2%

Now, Factor in these things:

Odds of the whole attack and departure taking place while the sister took a quick trip to Harris Teeter.

Odds of money and purses not being taken.

Odds of the sister being in small second floor bedroom and not hearing the rape and murder in the room next door.

Odds of one room being selected over the other by the intruder.

Odds of being raped the night of surgery.

/

Good question, Amarillo.

Also, what about KT's husbands before TT? And was she dating anyone other than JG? And was JG dating anyone other than KT?

1. In my experience and opinion, a lawyer or legal expert is prompting or cueing DH'd statements. After her 911 call and statements at the hospital, I would hope a muzzle was put on by someone.

2. The term "random" is being used a lot. Have we determined what random means? KT didn't know their identity? The perp didn't know her? It wasn't planned ahead of time by the perp? And I'd like to know how PF defines "random". Is random a catchall phrase meaning it wasn't premeditated? Is random a legal term?

3. Prior to my retirement, NC did not have accessory after the fact, or accessory to the crime statute. If you witnessed a crime and it is perceived that you could have prevented that crime, you are as guilty as the perp. For example, if you are in the car with a friend, and the friend robs a gas station, you could be found as guilty as your friend.

4. I'd like to know from Ruben and JTF's "sources" if DH was at GG or Fosters the night before the surgery? KT and DH must have met at JG's house the night before, then took one vehicle to the site of the procedure with DH driving back.

Does anyone have any information on D's husband? We don't seem to have discussed him.

Thank you!

At one point I wondered whether she would have called him and asked him to bring an extra set of keys ... but they live almost 3 hours away from Raleigh and it would be much easier to call AAA/locksmith.

I also wondered whether he came to Raleigh while Kathy was hospitalized, for the funeral etc.

I believe his name is Charles. (white pages info; at same address as Dina)

Hi everyone...I am new to the board but have been following this story from the beginning.
I have thought all along that the theory of DH bringing someone back to the house was a good possibility. One thing that doesnt make sense is why the killer would have left DH alone. If the killer met DH and she brought him back to the house then why would the killer leave the one person who could id him. That doesnt add up to me.
Another senerio that I thought about was DH brought someone back home and in her intoxication starts to reveal her true feelings for KT. And as the emotions grew heavier she convinced him to help her kill her. Far-fetched? maybe. but what about this case is normal?
Did anyone else see the interview with DH on the Greenville station last night? (I ahave looked everywhere and cannot find a link--I am not even sure which station I was watching)
In this interview DH refuse to show her face on camera (which seemed weird to me). She stated that she was not a suspect and was never treated as a suspect by the RPD. She also said that KT was her best friend and "soulmate" (weird again). I realize sisters love each other but I have never heard anyone refer to their sister as their "soulmate".

Maybe the perp saw KT arrive?

Otherwise, why would he think there was anyone to rape or attack in that house? It belonged to JG and the house had been empty for a few weeks.

It does not appear his intention was to burglarize the house since nothing was reported stolen.

I'm really confused at the lackadaisical behavior of LE. Yes, they did the check point where they handed out fliers, but I didn't feel any real fervor there or since. Are they afraid of scaring residents? Why not show a little more concern?

In the Stephanie Bennett case (Raleigh), she was found murdered on May 21, 2002, by June 21, 2002, Michael Teague a profiler of the RPD in a press release stated that he had a mental snapshot of the killer. He asked questions such as "does it appear that there was a relationship between the victim and killer?" He thought the killer and victim had crossed paths. Apparently, he was right since when the killer was caught, it was discovered that he had lived in the apartments next to the crime scene. That killer/rapist had stolen things from the crime scene.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/page/1123439/

Why can't they do a PR with this case? Can't they get a profile? Maybe they are working their butts off, but they need to let the public know it and see it. Certainly they can understand the public's criticism. I'm not saying they should tell all they know, but give of something to show your tenacity in catching this killer.

What are the Odds?

This is turning out to be an extremely unusual crime.

Percentages of Murders using a blunt instrument: approx 5%

Percentages of Murders where a sexual assault takes place: approx 1-2%

Now, Factor in these things:

Odds of the whole attack and departure taking place while the sister took a quick trip to Harris Teeter.

Odds of money and purses not being taken.

Odds of the sister being in small second floor bedroom and not hearing the rape and murder in the room next door.

Odds of one room being selected over the other by the intruder.

Odds of being raped the night of surgery.

/

Good points Ghost. IMO odds are stacked heavily against an outside "random intruder" being involved. Unless of course male DNA was actually found on K. I may have missed something in looking back through the posts, but has this been stated as fact? IMO, the only individual with a really good "motive" for the crime would be D. Her "motive" would be rage at getting caught and chastised for her drug and alcohol use, especially at a time when she was supposed to be taking care of someone other than herself. As I have a close family member who is an addict/alcoholic (in recovery now) I am aware firsthand that at the point in time the person wants to drink/use, there is nothing stopping them, not even the shame of getting caught by a family member. Here's a theory: K goes to bed for the night. D begins using alcohol/drugs. K realizes D is using, is furious because of the history, etc. and a struggle insues. D whacks her in self-defense and leaves the house in her addled state, not realizing the severity of the injury she caused K - her only mission being to continue using. She returns, hears K snoring, is still furious at K and not thinking straight about what she did to her sister. She passes out. She awakens, goes to check on K, realizes that K is seriously injured and panics. In her desperation, she stages a sexual assault. The rest is history.

From JTF in earlier thread ...
To answer questions about Thursday....this is the account from an early N&O article.

"On Thursday afternoon, she went to Chapel Hill to visit her son Jonathan Taft, a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill. The two ate at 411 West, the family said, and Kathy Taft returned to Geil's home in Raleigh.

On Friday, Taft and her sister Diana, a resident of Oriental, spent much of the day together. They ate dinner together and then watched "Paper Moon" at Geil's home."
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NC - Kathy Taft NC School Board Member Murdered

Just thinking that someone could have seen KT at the house when she was healthy and thought she was alone if there was only one car at house at time of attack.

What time was KT's surgery? I can't remember.

Could be someone that has been watching Kathy for sometime and knew when to strike just like in the Stephanie Bennett murder Prancy talked about. I think the police believe this too that is why they are getting DNA from all the men in the neighborhood.

now the two sisters were best friends? this goes against everything we had read to date...am confused...
but i can see hiding her face if she is fearful of being seen on TV by the killer, who she may or may not already have met...
still, am surprised a photo has not turned up someplace...

I have wondered if there is a possibility that D was assaulted (raped) but was passed out and didn't realize it was happening? Maybe someone saw her at the bar, came home with her, she passes out, he's frustrated and assaults the sister as well. D comes to, checks on sis and in her addled state, doesn't realize what really happened until later at the hospital. This would explain the comments that the family " thinks they may have seen someone". Could D have been given a date rape drug at the bar?

Another thought I had about the baggie corners...what if D intended to sell a few of her sister's pain pills at the bar and used the baggies to package them? I hope that's not the case, but it is a possibility that should be considered.

Maybe the perp saw KT arrive?

Otherwise, why would he think there was anyone to rape or attack in that house? It belonged to JG and the house had been empty for a few weeks.

It does not appear his intention was to burglarize the house since nothing was reported stolen.

--a while back someone posted that there was a possibility that someone had been "using" the house while JG was away, & there had been some talk in the neighborhood about that, -- tho no one has actually fully confirmed this....
so Perhaps PERP found KT sleeping in "his" bed that he borrows when perp borrows the house & PERP wasn't happy about it ??? Well ... if no robbery or Burglary happened, & D is completely innocent as she would like to believe then...what else can it be??

now the two sisters were best friends? this goes against everything we had read to date...am confused...
but i can see hiding her face if she is fearful of being seen on TV by the killer, who she may or may not already have met...
still, am surprised a photo has not turned up someplace...

the "best friends" and "soulmate" comments were so forced on the interview. Almost as if she were trying too hard to convince us of that.

Could be someone that has been watching Kathy for sometime and knew when to strike just like in the Stephanie Bennett murder Prancy talked about. I think the police believe this too that is why they are getting DNA from all the men in the neighborhood.
could it be someone with an unrequited love for her over the years??? someone who saw KT enter into numerous relationships but was never able to get her to reciprocate anything with him ??? someone who knew KT well....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Best Online Jewellery Mar