GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OT//////////Idol fans--don't forget it comes on tonight and the grand finale is tomorrow night this week. Instead of Wed. and Thurs. it's Tues. and Wed. 8pm both nights.

My take was strong defensive mode too. Very defensive. I hope nobody has made her feel that any part of this was her fault, although she may have felt a huge amount of guilt internally. I am certain I would have.

Me, too. I wonder how many times she has thought, "If only....," or "Why didn't I ....," or "I should have...."

Thanks, East.
icon12.gif
Her being at court earlier makes me think that she readied herself the best she could -- for her sister, her nieces/nephews, her parents, etc., etc. I wonder if we'll ever see her on the stand.

I don't see the State presenting many or maybe any more witnesses... Since they weren't able to start with her, perhaps they could end their case with her -- a gamble?? Maybe at sentencing if this thing plays out to Guilty of 1st Degree Murder. Maybe they could make it fit. She would probably also carry one more guilt package if she doesn't get to testify at all....
icon9.gif

OT//////////Idol fans--don't forget it comes on tonight and the grand finale is tomorrow night this week. Instead of Wed. and Thurs. it's Tues. and Wed. 8pm both nights.

Got all my votes in for Phillip Phillips! Now on to DWTS! Can't decide between Donald & William. :woohoo:

I think JW's wife's testimony is the most damaging as to 'state of mind'. JMO They were having a fight, and he left. Doesn't sound to me like he was 'out of his mind' at all, just extremely angry.

I think JW's wife's testimony is the most damaging as to 'state of mind'. JMO They were having a fight, and he left. Doesn't sound to me like he was 'out of his mind' at all, just extremely angry.

You said it, glee. And did he take his still-boiling anger and deviant sexual drive out on poor little KT? Most probably, I believe. If this is so, he may well have battered her brains out of her head first -- the selfish, brutal, monster. And I think the damage in her groin area was from that same rock that killed her, in addition to the rape, indeed I do. If he had encountered DH, I firmly believe he would have done as much to her as well.

I hope he is alert enuff over there in his zone to realize how truly inhuman and cruel his actions were. Again, I say LWOP would be just fine with me. A long,:behindbar long, :behindbar, long :behindbar he!! on earth...
icon8.gif
:maddening:

pardon the mini-rant........:rant:

:justice:

Here's an article from the N&O about Foote's testimony.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/22/2082455/tafts-sister-heard-noise-police.html

Though I tried to watch as much as I could yesterday, I did miss some things. Can someone tell me the state introduced photos of the outside of the murder scene? I recall he asked a detective how many steps there were around the outside, but wouldn't photos of them have been better?

Prancy, they introduced photos via an earlier witness. I don't believe any photos of the exterior were shown yesterday, but I could not see anything shown to the jury (unfortunately).

This morning the witness was asked about how many steps it took to reach the master bedroom from the bottom of the stairs.

I don't understand why this matters, though. What's their point with this?

What's going on now? I just got up, I see people, but no sound?

I think the defense intends to present witnesses. At the beginning, the judge instructed the jurors they would get off early on Friday so that a witness didn't begin testifying and then have to be interrupted by the 3-day weekend. The jury will have Monday off (Memorial Day). Guess this means I will have to interact with my family : ).

If the defense is that JW was so out of it due to all the drugs, alcohol, etc. in his system the night of the attack, then how does he remember so many details about what took place??

Right now the jury is looking at all the published evidence from the prosecution.

I heard the judge and D.A. discussing how he had laid out the exhibits for the jurors. The the feed went off. Why would the jury begin examining the exhibits before the defense presents their witnesses? What did I miss?

I wonder if the prosecution will try to show that JW did in fact target KT. They alluded to a possible "he was walking the dogs and saw KT and DH as they returned from Harris Teeter" scenario. Can they back it up? The investigator said there is no evidence that he targeted her. IMO, this seems like an important element for seeking 1st degree premeditated. And it's a question I would like to know the answer to.

Though I tried to watch as much as I could yesterday, I did miss some things. Can someone tell me the state introduced photos of the outside of the murder scene? I recall he asked a detective how many steps there were around the outside, but wouldn't photos of them have been better?

Yes, indeed, Prancy -- it's hard to "see" that kind of thing for most folks, I think. You know what they say about one pic = 1,000 words, and it is so true.

For those who haven't seen a lot of the neighborhood & house (nothing interior, however), this link is very helpful in painting a better picture of what is said in some of the testimony:

Case images

Prancy, they introduced photos via an earlier witness. I don't believe any photos of the exterior were shown yesterday, but I could not see anything shown to the jury (unfortunately).

This morning the witness was asked about how many steps it took to reach the master bedroom from the bottom of the stairs.

I don't understand why this matters, though. What's their point with this?

bbm
No idea, either, Boodles -- Maybe they're just trying to explain how the house isn't really that big. :waitasec: Or how close DH was to the bedroom where KT was to show that she was very close. ?? Or how the o/side steps were not that far away from the inside steps w/regard to DH's hearing someone on steps?? Beats me...

That's all I got. Piddlin'
icon10.gif

I wonder if the prosecution will try to show that JW did in fact target KT. They alluded to a possible "he was walking the dogs and saw KT and DH as they returned from Harris Teeter" scenario. Can they back it up? The investigator said there is no evidence that he targeted her. IMO, this seems like an important element for seeking 1st degree premeditated. And it's a question I would like to know the answer to.

Yeah, Boodles -- I caught that one, too..
icon10.gif
. Hmmmm. And, BTW, I've thought it all along -- not random -- and the mailbox tactic is hogwash...

I wonder if they might put it in their closing, or somehow bring it out in their the rebuttal after the DT's CIC -- or both. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think that angle -- if they take it -- is that far afield. He had nothing better to do with his time all during the day than watch and make plans for a burglary & maybe his plans changed when he saw her...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back