NC - Keith Scott, 43, killed by LEO, Charlotte, 20 Sept 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't shoot from your side?
A gun has to be raised to fire?

I guess for some the suspect has to raise and aim the gun at officers for it to be a threat. I dont see it that way.

For all we know, Scott was raising the gun and that's when officers opened fire. There will probably be someone who feels that LE should have waited until Scott aimed at them using the guns sights before shooting. That way it would have been more fair. JMO.

The wife was telling the police her husband did not have a gun. They could clearly see he did. Why then should they take as a fact when she is saying he has a TBI?

I found this quote made by Keith Scott very enlightening. BBM

He told the judge that Trinidad “put my wife and kids in total fear, and I didn’t know what to do. I was scared to go and talk to him. But I figured I would be less of a man if I didn’t stand up for my family and go and try to tell him, ‘You know, you need to back off.’ I didn’t have any intentions to really hurt the young man.”

To which the judge replied: “You shot at him ten times.”

Scott felt that it was alright to shoot at someone 10 times to solve a problem. I'm wondering if he felt the same way in his latest encounter with police. JMO.

http://www.chron.com/news/local/article/Keith-Scott-killed-by-Charlotte-police-had-9242836.php

You don't have to raise your arms to fire. You can have your arms at your side and your wrist turned forward shoot and hit someone. It may not be as accurate of a shot, but it can easily be done.
I would also like to know as he was walking backwards was he getting closer to any of the officers? If he was getting closer to an officer it is the duty of other officers to stop the threat and protect that officer.

The wife was telling the police her husband did not have a gun. They could clearly see he did. Why then should they take as a fact when she is saying he has a TBI?
I'm sure he did have some sort of TBI. But how that relates to having a gun and not listening to police, I don't know.

For the wife to record it and give commentary is just a way for her to establish a narrative when it fact we can't even really see all the details of how it went down from her angle.

Regardless, he was still a felon who wasn't legally able to have a firearm in the first place.

If someone is holding a gun and refuses to put it down, and refuses to comply with the lawful orders of police, it doesn't matter if they have TBI, or any other disease or condition. It's irrelevant in the moment. It may "explain" their actions LATER. It doesn't mean that police "won't" or "can't" shoot to defend themselves or others.

and what's with the story he drove to wait on his kid's bus, but the wife is within hollering/videoing distance of his spot.

I used to live next door to my daughter -- four acres away. The bus is never exact so I would drive over and sit in my car and listen to public radio.

Ok. So on the "waiting for the bus" idea, is the child who gets off the bus so young has has to be met at the bus stop? Say, a child younger than 9 or so? And so Keith would go to the bus stop which was basically the parking lot of his apartment complex, and to get out of the sun/have some place to sit, he'd sit in his truck? And the bus arrival would vary by several minutes so he usually had something to read while he waited in the parking lot? I'm really trying to piece this back together.

My granddaughter was 11 and we still met the bus. Since Jacob Wetterling in 1989 parents wait for the bus in the am and pm. It's the new normal

I'm sure he did have some sort of TBI. But how that relates to having a gun and not listening to police, I don't know.

For the wife to record it and give commentary is just a way for her to establish a narrative when it fact we can't even really see all the details of how it went down from her angle.

Regardless, he was still a felon who wasn't legally able to have a firearm in the first place.

And he refused to drop it. Even after being told at least 12 times.

Picture i have not seen - from AP. THere is not gun, vest guy is in a totally diff position and his left foot is flush on povement or he is standing on evidnece moo

proxy.jpg

<modsnip>

Police arrest man suspected of fatally shooting protester in Charlotte

Police have charged a Charlotte man with murder in the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Justin Carr during protests in uptown on Wednesday night.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police identified the arrested suspect as Rayquan Borum, 21. Police Chief Kerr Putney announced the arrest Friday during a press conference held by Charlotte government officials.

Rayquan Borum Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office

Borum was taken into custody around 7 a.m. Friday without incident, police said in a statement.

Officials said Borum has been interviewed by homicide detectives. CMPD’s Violent Criminal Apprehension Team made the arrest.

Borum previously served about three months in prison on larceny and breaking and entering charges from Mecklenburg County and was released in 2012, records show. He also faces at least two pending weapons charges in Cabarrus County.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article103632412.html#storylink=cpy

If someone is holding a gun and refuses to put it down, and refuses to comply with the lawful orders of police, it doesn't matter if they have TBI, or any other disease or condition. It's irrelevant in the moment. It may "explain" their actions LATER. It doesn't mean that police "won't" or "can't" shoot to defend themselves or others.

I think I posted the articles on how many disabled people LE kills. There are LE departments around the US that are going for training on this exact issue.

When an officer kills someone, especially a disabled person, pretty much their career is over. It is not like the movies. The officer suffers great emotionial issues. It is expensive to lose a trained officer as well as the emotional toll it takes on officers who are part of the brotherhood of LE

The gun police say they recovered from the scene was loaded, a source close to the investigation told CNN. The source said investigators recovered from the weapon fingerprints, blood and DNA that matched with Scott. The source said the blood most likely got on the gun after the shooting.

On Friday, Charlotte-Mecklenberg police Chief Kerr Putney said he expected police videos of the shooting -- from dashboard and officer body cameras -- to be released eventually when investigators decide it can be done as part of a package with other information, so the videos aren't made public without context.

That stance differed from the chief's message a day earlier that the public shouldn't expect the videos' release.

[video=cnn;us/2016/09/23/keith-lamont-scott-charlotte-shooting-cell-phone-video-orig-nws-mg.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/23/us/charlotte-keith-lamont-scott-shooting-wife-video/index.html[/video]

Link is a little wonky with the "video" suffix. Keeps displaying the video instead of the link.

If LE can now legally shoot someone for holding a gun.... Americans are in big trouble. JMO

Not shot for holding a gun---shot for being ordered to DROP THE FREAKIN GUN several times, and refusing to do so...

If you are inside of the car, with a gun, ordered to drop it, and instead of dropping it, YOU GET OUT WITH IT IN YOUR HAND....isnt that a threat to an officer...

My granddaughter was 11 and we still met the bus. Since Jacob Wetterling in 1989 parents wait for the bus in the am and pm. It's the new normal

Yes I see about 8 cars here with high school age parents waiting for the actual. But you have to relaize this is FL so they are probably very wise to do , unless the kid has an AK47 in backpack!!
What stays in vegas stays it vegas

but

what happens in FL is, well, beyond words! Myaber the water??

I absolutely agree with you the police have every right to defend themselves and the community no matter what. I have read statements in the news trying to put blame on the police for the police ignoring his wife telling them he had a TBI. I was reacting to those statements. Statements that forget to mention the wife also stated that her husband did not have a gun when they could see he had a gun.

Yes I see about 8 cars here with high school age parents waiting for the actual. But you have to relaize this is FL so they are probably very wise to do , unless the kid has an AK47 in backpack!!
What stays in vegas stays it vegas

but

what happens in FL is, well, beyond words! Myaber the water??

O/t Have you seen Dave Barry's book on Florida?

IMO I don't doubt he had a TBI, but I do question the degree of it. According to the family he meets his son at the bus everyday. If he has a TBI that effects his decision making would he even be allowed to have a drivers license. I know doctors have drivers licenses pulled for some medical conditions.

At one point in the new video, an officer appeared to put handcuffs on Scott - despite him having already been shot.

The video continues on for about another minute, with cops standing around Scott's body in what appears to be a calm fashion.

'He ain't moving,' the woman filming the video says.

'Now they done took his pants down.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Scott-handcuffed-shooting.html#ixzz4LCFU58KJ
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Policy is to handcuff the suspect, even if shot. He was a threat with a handgun, and while he appeared to be unconscious, police are trained to subdue, and "clear" a violent armed suspect, before assessing for medical issues, for their safety as well as others. (The suspect could be faking unconsciousness and preparing to ambush.) The suspect has to be "cleared" of all weapons before medical aid can be rendered-- hence the actions with his trousers, IMO. And any weapons will be moved away from the suspect in a manner that will not contaminate the item with the officer's prints or DNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beeaimee