GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how ex-husband Nicky Smith died.

Sha seems very devoted to her mom. I guess they were a team as AH went through various men and geographic locations. This young woman has been through a lot.

I saw her a few weeks ago, and she looked different -this is a very different hair style for court. I'm afraid when I saw her I may have stopped and stared (not intentionally).

:seeya: Hi All, I am new to this case...

On the stand Sha said that when she arrived at the house, only her mother was there and she did not see GH. However, in an earlier television interview, she says that when she arrived at the house, GH was not his normal self. Where he usually would be overly friendly and happy to see her etc. , that day, he merely said "hi". So which was it, was he there or not?

If I am having the facts wrong, please let me know.

What a interesting trial to follow.

I don't know. I have been thinking about this all day long. I need to go back to S's testimony when she said that mom was taking it back to her aunt's house for "safe keeping." Was this before the CL ad or after? Did AH know about the ad? IIRC, all of the ads traced back to Grant's NY phone number, so he could have been selling things w/o her knowing? Did he have a key or access to a key? There were a bunch of other things in the storage lot as evidenced by the pictures, so I just don't know. Some would have been way easier to sell here and there for $$ if AH was totally unaware of it all.

Another thing that I can't remember but is making me crazy is.. Sha testified that she came on that, I think Friday, to be there while the guy bought the sofa set. She was alone and smelled the bleach and found a bleach rag. She also put 2 knives in the bedroom side table drawers "just in case," but ended up knowing the guy who bought the sofa sat from the bar that she worked at across the street. So where were Grant and Amanda?

I need to watch her testimony again while I look at the timeline, I think.

Were they not on their way to Texas?

Were they not on their way to Texas?

If they were, it was after the Sheetz exchange at 5:00 p.m. Grant went to the Sheetz to meet Laura and then called his mom afterwards pissed off because she never showed up and the kids were "hot and tired," (reference timeline above).

:seeya: Hi All, I am new to this case...

On the stand Sha said that when she arrived at the house, only her mother was there and she did not see GH. However, in an earlier television interview, she says that when she arrived at the house, GH was not his normal self. Where he usually would be overly friendly and happy to see her etc. , that day, he merely said "hi". So which was it, was he there or not?

If I am having the facts wrong, please let me know.

What a interesting trial to follow.

Welcome, and I agree. :)

I don't know about all of the details now. I/we need to take some notes for sure. Sha impressed me with her testimony, honestly. That said, she definitely is in her mom's corner with it all. When Amanda's trial comes up, I'd like to revisit a lot of her past (and there's a ton of it in the previous thread). She was left a LOT of money by her previous spouse, and she and her mom (according to mom's obit) are quite a bit alike, but I don't know how relevant that is to this trial...or is it? I don't know. :blushing:

Edited to say I was wrong. Sha testified that they had a Dodge Durango. That is a small SUV and not a truck Oops! In that case, yes, they would need a UHaul.

I don't know. I have been thinking about this all day long. I need to go back to S's testimony when she said that mom was taking it back to her aunt's house for "safe keeping." Was this before the CL ad or after? Did AH know about the ad? IIRC, all of the ads traced back to Grant's NY phone number, so he could have been selling things w/o her knowing? Did he have a key or access to a key? There were a bunch of other things in the storage lot as evidenced by the pictures, so I just don't know. Some would have been way easier to sell here and there for $$ if AH was totally unaware of it all.

Another thing that I can't remember but is making me crazy is.. Sha testified that she came on that, I think Friday, to be there while the guy bought the sofa set. She was alone and smelled the bleach and found a bleach rag. She also put 2 knives in the bedroom side table drawers "just in case," but ended up knowing the guy who bought the sofa sat from the bar that she worked at across the street. So where were Grant and Amanda?

I need to watch her testimony again while I look at the timeline, I think.

Posting the CL ads for reference:

Continental walnut Halltree 1880 - $2000 (Raleigh, NC ) Date: 2011-07-11, 9:57PM EDT
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/atq/2489510897.html

Awesome Leather Living room set! - $1000 (Raleigh, NC) Date: 2011-07-14, 11:45AM EDT
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/fuo/2493826660.html

2 Studio Monitors HSM80 - $450 (Raleigh, NC) Date: 2011-07-14, 3:16PM EDT
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/2487699159.html

15in Macbook Pro - $1200 (Raleigh, NC). Date: 2011-07-15, 12:55PM EDT
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/2495718497.html (was deleted by poster)

The walnut hall tree was posted 7/11, which is before July 13, the day Laura was killed. It's from the 1880's. I don't know whether there was a second 1800's piece (Sha referred to a wet bar, but if it was a bar, it had to be a dry one, yes? ;) or whether this is the one she was referring to.

Sha went to the apt to meet with the sofa buyer on Tuesday, July 19 while the H's were in TX (on their way back, probably). Sha says she knew nothing about the furniture until her Aunt, in Texas, mentioned it via telephone.

I think AH's phone number was included in some of the ads. I assume she knew about these items being sold, but can't know for sure. Here's an old post saying that AH had posted on CL: Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kiniston/Raleigh, 13 July 2011

Welcome, and I agree. :)

I don't know about all of the details now. I/we need to take some notes for sure. Sha impressed me with her testimony, honestly. That said, she definitely is in her mom's corner with it all. When Amanda's trial comes up, I'd like to revisit a lot of her past (and there's a ton of it in the previous thread). She was left a LOT of money by her previous spouse, and she and her mom (according to mom's obit) are quite a bit alike, but I don't know how relevant that is to this trial...or is it? I don't know. :blushing:

Surfie, how do you know that AH was left a lot of $ by her ex? I heard Sha mention some jewelry, and apparently there was a house in TX. Was there more?

I thought Sha's responses were very interesting. If you watch again, take note of how she responds to Qs. She often did not answer the question, but responded with information related to the question. I will try to list some examples later. Boz let this go on; he did not force her to answer the questions asked. I felt both sides treated her pretty much with kid gloves, and I'm surprised by that. And Sha seemed to provide exactly what she wanted to have on the court record in carefully crafted responses. She seems rather aligned with the prosecution, i.e., quite cooperative, especially compared to her demeanor toward the defense.

Yet the prosecution is out to convict her mother, albeit later. Why would the prosecution go so easy on the Q's asked to Sha?

BTW, I count 5 known "husbands" (or significant relationships) for AH, which is more than Sha shared on the stand.

1. Elmer (Sha's father) - were they married? Don't know
2. Someone named "Perry" (AH was formerly known w/this surname)
3. Nicky Smith - married 2.5 yrs (died, at home, at the age of 41) *
Obit: http://lubbockonline.com/stories/101500/obi_101500100.shtml
4. Ron Adamson (per Sha's testimony)
5. Grant Hayes

Surfie, how do you know that AH was left a lot of $ by her ex? I heard Sha mention some jewelry, and apparently there was a house in TX. Was there more?

I thought Sha's responses were very interesting. If you watch again, take note of how she responds to Qs. She often did not answer the question, but responded with information related to the question. I will try to list some examples later. Boz let this go on; he did not force her to answer the questions asked. I felt both sides treated her pretty much with kid gloves, and I'm surprised by that. And Sha seemed to provide exactly what she wanted to have on the court record in carefully crafted responses. She seems rather aligned with the prosecution, i.e., quite cooperative, especially compared to her demeanor toward the defense.

Yet the prosecution is out to convict her mother, albeit later. Why would the prosecution go so easy on the Q's asked to Sha?

BTW, I count 5 known "husbands" (or significant relationships) for AH, which is more than Sha shared on the stand.

5. Grant Hayes
Perhaps they are soft on her because they want her to reveal more info to use in AH's trial.

I am so taken by this trial/case and can not understand that there is not more publicity around it.

5. Grant Hayes

Yes, I will have to dig it up, but he left her a lot of land, 5 or 6 lots. This was per the tax assessor in the county. Just the tax assessor value alone it was close to 500,000.00, so it could have sold higher.

Sha is pivotal in both of the prosecution's cases against Grant and Amanda. I don't think they want to alienate her and make her angry and same goes with the defense. The one thing I noticed was her face really lit up when she saw the pictures of the boys. Otherwise, her demeanor stayed the same stone cold solid.

To me Sha looked more livid at the defense than the state. Not that she looked pleased to be there at any point, but she could hardly look at the defense during the start of their questioning. If looks could kill, as they say. She's in a tough position but then again, she was not a witness or privy to the planning or execution of the murder or the disposal of the body, so other than help clarify the timeline and putting those kinds of pieces together, she isn't in too much danger of harming her mom.

I mean, it is what it is. The crime was horrific on every level and there's no getting around that. Both GH and AH are guilty, IMO. As to who is the main perpetrator, my opinion is GH because he is the one who wanted full custody of the kids, but that doesn't excuse AH in her role.

To me Sha looked more livid at the defense than the state. Not that she looked pleased to be there at any point, but she could hardly look at the defense during the start of their questioning. If looks could kill, as they say. She's in a tough position but then again, she was not a witness or privy to the planning or execution of the murder or the disposal of the body, so other than help clarify the timeline and putting those kinds of pieces together, she isn't in too much danger of harming her mom.

I mean, it is what it is. The crime was horrific on every level and there's no getting around that. Both GH and AH are guilty, IMO. As to who is the main perpetrator, my opinion is GH because he is the one who wanted full custody of the kids, but that doesn't excuse AH in her role.

AH is doomed whatever the outcome of this trial. She was present when the murder occurred, during the dismemberment, and disposal. LH did not think twice implicating her own sister, by disposing the body so close to her sister's house. What a vile person she is. She should never see her little daughter again. She probably breastfed the baby in between dismembering the body! And to travel so far with a wee baby to dispose of your rival's body just shows the demented mind they have.

She placed herself in this position the moment they started planning the demise of Laura. I do believe this was premeditated, a lot of planning has gone into this.

I am shocked that the DP is not on the table for both of them. They did this devilish deed together while their children were in the apartment! How vile and sick?

I like to see how they throw each other under the bus, what a joke they are.

Are they late starting today, or do I need to refresh? TIA! (and Good Morning)

Never mind, just kicked in :)

Good Morning all! I am partially here, after a long weekend. lol

I just read this on WRAL's 9am news--mixed feelings about it. However, if the testimony was incomplete regarding the search, I want the truth to come out.

I suppose you are right --- as much as I do not want to see that guy again, ever. I didn't follow the trial at the time, but I take it he is quite a piece of work, eh?

Anyone else getting lots of buffering on the live stream?Very annoying.I tried refreshing,but it didn't help any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member