GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I missed this entire case! I spent a while reading up on the threads, only to find out it is already in progress. Thank you, WS buddies for making my catch-up so efficient with all the useful posts and links.

I've missed the openings and am just starting in today around 11:30 EDT.

I'll be spending my evenings watching the WRAL archived tapes!

There is an LE up right now.

Gosh, I have had 10,000 interruptions this morning and have caught only bits and pieces of the testimony. Glad to see old friends and new faces as well!

Who is testifying today?

I may not have this right. Blonde girl was Monkey Joe's manager or somebody GH knew from there. Then LA's brother testified, some of his testimony was not allowed--was heard outside the presence of the jury. Regarding a threat he made against LA and her brother. Then LE was on the stand when they broke for lunch I think. The doorbell has rung several times and the phone too so I have have had to watch with one eye and one ear so far today.

What a piece of work GH is in court....so inappropriate from the way he dresses to the laughing and smiling in a murder case against him.

Yes lots of buffering today and by the looks of it lots of witnesses to go before we get to the finding of LA.

Thanks nceast. I missed a good part of the brother's testimony. It makes me sad that Laura had nowhere to go as a safe haven. She must have felt so helpless...

Boodles, you are so right.
I have a feeling most all of you are younger than I. But this is a good lesson for all of us--including this old granny. We never know what the future holds, and even in our wildest dreams we may never think that some awful event will alter our lives. But they do, every day. Everyone needs a back up plan, including a funding source, in the event we ever need to escape to a safe haven. Even if only temporarily. I was somewhat in LA's shoes many years ago and I know what it feels like. I have taught my daughter to be self reliant in the event she ever finds herself in a moment of desperation. It's a horrible feeling.

What a piece of work GH is in court....so inappropriate from the way he dresses to the laughing and smiling in a murder case against him.

We have been saying constantly for 2 years we want to slap the **** out of him. He's the devil.

Came in late from cutting grass on the break....who is the lady on the stand right now? I assume some form of LE?

TIA

Came in late from cutting grass on the break....who is the lady on the stand right now? I assume some form of LE?

TIA

She is one of the early detectives at the apartment.

Damn. Too bad the judge ruled that way. I think the jury should have heard that information.

He lets a lot more in than I would expect from a judge.
When he allowed Heidi (I think it was her) to tell the parking lot story I was surprised. Defense was trying to have it blocked.
I think I am too used to a court in Phoenix (and a reaallllly bad judge in Albuquerque!), this judge is A-OK with me so far :clap:

OMG I thought PA said "I call the defendant"...I was like :scared:

Boodles, you are so right.
I have a feeling most all of you are younger than I. But this is a good lesson for all of us--including thi old granny. We never know what the future holds, and even in our wildest dreams we may never think that some awful event will alter our lives. But they do, every day. Everyone needs a back up plan, including a funding source, in the event we ever need to escape to a safe haven. Even if only temporarily. I was somewhat in LA's shoes many years ago and I know what it feels like. I have taught my daughter to be self reliant in the event she ever finds herself in a moment of desperation. It's a horrible feeling.

Hey, 'East, don't fergit about me -- I'm as old & gold as you are, my AARP or Bust Buddy!!

My being an only child has helped me, too -- I grew up with caring and loving parents, but I "did it myself" because there I was at home -- no sibling(s) to help build a fort or a playhouse, get a book off a high shelf or such. Good neighbor friends, but they are not always there to help or do it for ya. Bonus: the coloring book & the crayolas were ALL MINE!!!
icon6.gif
But if I didn't have enuff money or whatever to do or get something, I had to figure it out by myself. I am very thankful for that, even though I missed the wonder & benefit of siblings.

Good points you made, Boods!

Hey ya'll! May I please hear your thoughts about the handwritten document LE found in GH's apartment allegedly signed by LA? (I believe in opening statements, the prosecutor said it was, in fact, her handwriting.).

It promises no more legal pursuit of GH by LA in Lenoir county courts, and gives GH custody for $25K. Yet Laura's friends said custody is the only thing Laura cared about.

Thoughts? Did GH draft this and force LA to sign? If so, why kill her if she had agreed? This is interesting to me. I wonder how this plays into the events.

To me Sha looked more livid at the defense than the state. Not that she looked pleased to be there at any point, but she could hardly look at the defense during the start of their questioning. If looks could kill, as they say. She's in a tough position but then again, she was not a witness or privy to the planning or execution of the murder or the disposal of the body, so other than help clarify the timeline and putting those kinds of pieces together, she isn't in too much danger of harming her mom.

I mean, it is what it is. The crime was horrific on every level and there's no getting around that. Both GH and AH are guilty, IMO. As to who is the main perpetrator, my opinion is GH because he is the one who wanted full custody of the kids, but that doesn't excuse AH in her role.

bbm

Agreed, Mad74 -- IMO GH likes to control the whole "stage" and certainly acts as if no one else could come close to doing anything the right way. As evil and as slinking as AH may be, I think she knew he was the controller of whatever they had between them from day one of their 1st meeting, their romance, the children, the Plan, the whole ball of wax. That, IMO, is a big part of the reason Sha seems to glare and have no charity towards GH or his bunch during this trial -- what she perceives he did to put her mother in the tuff position she is now in -- facing a 1st degree murder/life charge -- that's pretty tuff, but AH did participate, IMO and must share the crime & the time.

BTW, I'm spitting mad at the results of the Cooper appeal and honestly, I didn't think it would happen.
icon8.gif

Hey ya'll! May I please hear your thoughts about the handwritten document LE found in GH's apartment allegedly signed by LA? (I believe in opening statements, the prosecutor said it was, in fact, her handwriting.).

It promises no more legal pursuit of GH by LA in Lenoir county courts, and gives GH custody for $25K. Yet Laura's friends said custody is the only thing Laura cared about.

Thoughts? Did GH draft this and force LA to sign? If so, why kill her if she had agreed? This is interesting to me. I wonder how this plays into the events.

You are reading my mind! The other testimony I heard during lunch was that LA was pleased with the psych studies, saying she now knew for sure she wasn't the crazy one. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was written up and signed under extreme duress.

'East, and C'Moon -- Ummm -- that business has a bad, bad smell, IMHO.

I can see in my mind, one of her boys being threatened with harm or her being told she would never see them again or the like. They might have been able to threaten harm to her & she might not have relented & signed, etc., but the boys -- no. Maybe they threatened to move out of NC to an unknown location, etc., etc. Who knoze, but it reeks of threats and duress -- or maybe they had already hurt her and threatened more of the same -- cut off a finger or a toe (please excuse, but they are bad, bad people, IMO). Threatened her daughter? Her business partner? Lotsa bad possibilities. Further, past history has been reported that he had physically harmed her in the past. With both of them bearing down on her, it's scary to contemplate.
icon9.gif

Dear friends & gentle peeps, we shall never, never know... :stormingmad:

Sorry friends, missed most of today's testimony. Busy bee! Anything worth re-watching?

Agree that the whole signed document issue smells fishy. Today it was revealed that GH & LA exchanged multiple texts & calls the day she was killed. What if he lured her to his apt with the promise that he had a favourable solution to their custody dispute. Maybe he told her they were moving to Kinston & he would give her unlimited access to the kids if she dropped the legal proceedings. He could have told her that with the new baby, AH needed more time w/out the boys to focus on the baby. In addition he would give her the $25,000 since he wouldn't have to pay an attorney for the hearing. She probably didn't know about his financial situation so didn't realize he had no way to come up with $25000. He convinced her it was a win-win for her. To change custody legally would be expensive but they could have an informal agreement that gave her more time w/ kids plus get money to boot if she just signed document. Of course he was only getting her to sign this so it would deflect suspicion from him when she went missing, since he knew she was going missing & thought body would never be found. She added the part saying she was not giving up her parental rights ( this part was in a different handwriting) just to make sure she was protected. All this is supposition on my part, was just the only kind of scenario I could imagine that he might have convinced her to sign this w/out threat of physical harm. Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966