GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowing hard in southern Cary, about 10 miles from the courthouse. I'm betting jurors sent home at lunch.

ETA: My street is completely covered already.

Ugh oh. Judge S. said the flower recipient's name after all. Then I lost the video.

He is going to question the person as to whether they KNOW who sent the flowers, they are not sure if someone sent them who actually knows the juror, or if this is something kind of sketchy.

I would not put it past the defense to do it and try to get a mistrial.
Ya get someone to go in and pay cash, you can probably get away with it.

Personally I think the gift should be forfeited until after the trial is decided but what got me was the judge was going to open the card and read the note to find out who the flowers belonged to. Knowing the name or even the first name of a juror is a no no. If the State hadn't jumped up and asked for the cameras to be shut off...

WRAL News:
Gaskins says he actually has one more witness. The state will call a rebuttal witness.
Wednesday February 12, 2014 11:31

WRAL News:
Defense attorneys want to show excerpts of a police video of Grant Hayes during a police interview in which he's singing and talking about aliens. Attorney say the evidence corroborates Amanda Hayes' testimony that he was growing more paranoid after dumping Ackerson's body and "was going to explode at any second."

It also corroborates some of Ackerson's claims in the psychological evaluation about Grant Hayes' behavior.
Wednesday February 12, 2014 11:48

Source:

http://www.wral.com/fearful-amanda-hayes-wanted-to-leave-husband-she-says/13383405/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC -- 2/12/14 -- "Live" Update box within linked article

Thanks, Ann-Tx --

Imo, that's a feeble attempt at something or other.

It's after-the-fact carp. I call a big "So What?"

--------------------------

Borndem's Backyard Weather Report: It's snowing! Not hard, no sleet. Yet.

His Honor is calling it a day. Fade to black.

Judge wants to hold charge conference before releasing lawyers today.

ETA: In 10 minutes.

His Honor gives the principals about a 10-min break, and then to resume to a preliminary charge conference -- before the rest of the evidence is presented. Tells DT that they can show appropriate parts of the interview, but they will have to learn how to work the courtroom viewing device. (!) Maybe Chad will stick around to let us watch.

I agree with Boz, if GH's demeanour is relevant then so too is AH's demeanour. If she was in so much fear for her life it would show during her interview. She should be overwhelmed & more than likely have panic attacks & she would see the detectives as her rescuers. I have a feeling what we saw on the stand is the demeanour she had during her interviews. I'm astounded that most comments from readers on WRAL regarding her testimony believe she is telling the truth & that she'll be found not guilty.

Their brains must be sun baked from Pinellas County in Florida.

Anyone know who the State plans to call as rebuttal and if the judge allowed Amanda Hayes's interview to be entered in? IMO it also is after the fact but would show the so called effects of living with a 'manic psychopath'. I wouldn't expect to see a composed, articulate individual but rather someone haunted, haggard and relieved.

I just went into another room and Fox News was on the tv. They were talking about this case--anchor and 2 attorneys. Both attorneys said AH was painting a good picture of herself and being under the thumb of GH and his manipulation, etc. the male attorney gave some background about hauling the body parts to TX and then both said the jury may not find her guilty of 1st degree murder but they would be hard pressed not to find her guilty of conspiracy. I don't like the tone of that. I need to find out what the term limits for the conspiracy charge in the event that's only what the jury comes back with.

I have a question. Why didn't the prosecutors ask Amanda (and Karen Berry) about her nephew's connection with law enforcement there in Katy TX?

Here's my thinking - up to a point I can believe what Amanda wants folks to believe. BUT that all stops when she gets to TX. She knew TX. She had family in TX. She had one nephew super close in age and another who had some sort of LE connection. Not that he was LE, he was too young. But he had friends who were LE.

And then that BOAT RIDE. Why on earth would she (or Karen Berry) allow her to be alone with Grant Hayes if they both were operating out of fear?

Those nephews had guns. And the last time I checked a gun will out maneuver a knife no matter what the size.

But the prosecutors didn't even mention any of this. WHY? What am I missing?

I have a question. Why didn't the prosecutors ask Amanda (and Karen Berry) about her nephew's connection with law enforcement there in Katy TX?

Here's my thinking - up to a point I can believe what Amanda wants folks to believe. BUT that all stops when she gets to TX. She knew TX. She had family in TX. She had one nephew super close in age and another who had some sort of LE connection. Not that he was LE, he was too young. But he had friends who were LE.

And then that BOAT RIDE. Why on earth would she (or Karen Berry) allow her to be alone with Grant Hayes if they both were operating out of fear?

Those nephews had guns. And the last time I checked a gun will out maneuver a knife no matter what the size.

But the prosecutors didn't even mention any of this. WHY? What am I missing?

I am blaming a lot of the missed questions and opportunities on the woman atty for the State. IMO she is not as quick witted, she is not the same caliber as her male colleague.

Why would the State allow her to cross a sly defendant after the Joshua Young debacle???

The judge hasn't mentioned anything in the instructions about AH actually being the one who killed LA. He's putting it all on GH. I am not happy with that. After all, AH told her sister 'I hurt her, I hurt her bad'. So is she getting a pass on that?

It's not the first or last time it has happened in a trial.

Some of us watched a trial in NM last year and the camera showed the jury entering and leaving the courtroom many times. We all thought it strange.

I am blaming a lot of the missed questions and opportunities on the woman atty for the State. IMO she is not as quick witted, she is not the same caliber as her male colleague.

Why would the State allow her to cross a sly defendant after the Joshua Young debacle???

I intend to check this case out (but not for a while, I am already massively scattered between this trial and the Olympics!).
Could someone give me a small synopsis of what exactly Becky Holt did when she had Jason Young on the stand? It sounds like she really blew it badly...wondering why she still has important cases.

TIA!

Some of us watched a trial in NM last year and the camera showed the jury entering and leaving the courtroom many times. We all thought it strange.

Levi Chavez :facepalm:
I am still having PTSD over that one :banghead:.

Also NC, I did a 2 minute google and I could email him/her or post on his/her facebook wall, or Linkedin, etc.
We all know better, but gawd knows what the nuts out there who heard the name might do.

It was strange. We tend to be way laid back out here in the Land of Enchantment.:floorlaugh:

Borndem's Raleigh, NC, Backyard Weather Report: Still no sleet. Snow is coming down pretty hard now -- we've already got about 1/2 inch. It's 25 degrees.

Not lookin' good for tomorrow morning -- but it is suppozed to warm up. Who knoze how or when the snoze goze?

Levi Chavez :facepalm:
I am still having PTSD over that one :banghead:.

Me too. I can still see him fleeing out of that courtroom, all high and mighty, not even answering the questions from the media except to be a smart *advertiser censored*. He was guilty as sin and it will catch up with him sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966