NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, parents reported missing Dec 15, last seen at home, Cornelius, 23 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm....
Wonder if a search of their phones and/or gps on vehicles led them to this area ?

It seems the lake being searched in Cornelius is Lake Norman, it is quite large and short drive from parents' home
It appears that Lake Cornelius is to the right of I-77, if you are heading north whereas Lake Norman is to the left (I’m a Charlotte native that lives in Concord now and never knew there was a difference until now). That being said, the other end of her street (I’ve placed a red mark over her house at the bottom of this Google Earth map) has water frontage/wooded shoreline on Lake Cornelius.

E30CDAE7-6A58-4AB5-920D-7B4F059E3075.jpeg

If she was born in another country I'm guessing biodad lives there and is not much involved? We have not seen anything from him yet.
I'm glad to see you on this thread, as I was actually going to tag you to ask your thoughts on what would be the reason for a judge to RAISE someone's bond, as MC's stepfather's was raised this morning.

Search for missing girl expands to Lake Cornelius

It seems the lake being searched in Cornelius is Lake Norman, it is quite large and short drive from parents' home
Lake Norman is huge but their neighborhood isn't "really" on the lake. People canoe and kayak there but it's not fully connected to the main lake. If she's in the water there, it's not a large area to search and isn't very deep. It wouldn't be a good place to dump a body especially if you live there.

These parents have had weeks to cover their tracks but there always seems to be Google searches left behind, GPS data, DNA evidence and things of that nature. IMO, it's not really a case of IF the parents were involved so LE can devote all of their time to that property, their car, their phones and only those 2 individuals.

TIMELINE UPDATES in RED

MC = Madalina Cojocari, 11-year-old missing from home at 18413 Victoria Bay Rd, Cornelius, NC
SDadCP = stepfather Christopher Palmiter
MomDC = mother Diana Cojocari

----------------------------------------

T NOV 22
Attended classes at Bailey Middle School [10]

W NOV 23 - LAST SEEN ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO SCHOOL [4]
[PM] - last seen at home [1] at 10PM [10]

Th NOV 24 - DAY 1
THANKSGIVING - NO SCHOOL [4]

F NOV 25 - DAY 2
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL [4]

Su NOV 27 - DAY 4
[PM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at the residence "at all hours" beginning on this day [5@2:22]

Th DEC 15 - REPORTED MISSING - DAY 22
[TIME?] - reported missing to Bailey Middle School SRO by "parents" [1]

F DEC 16 - DAY 23
[PM] FBI, SBI searching residence, "spent hours digging in the ground in her backyard, and searching for evidence inside the home" [3]

Sa DEC 17 - SDadCP & MomDC ARRESTED - DAY 24
12:29AM [6] - SDadCP arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [2]
[AM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at residence up to this time [5@2:22]
10:12AM - MomDC arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [7]

Su DEC 18 - DAY 25
[PM] - FBI, SBI, CPD return to residence, collect evidence, bring in K9 unit, tow vehicle [8]

View attachment 388683

M DEC 19 - DAY 26
[AM] - Search includes Lake Cornelius [9]
[AM] - SDadCP appears in court, bond increased to $200k [9]

T DEC 20
[TIME?] - MomDC scheduled to appear in court [9]
7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled in common area near home [10]

Th DEC 22
7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled at Cornelius Town Square [10]

------------
SOURCES
[1] Cornelius PD FB post - Dec 15
[2] Stepdad of missing 11-year-old - WSOC - Dec 16
[3] FBI, SBI search Cornelius home - WCCB - Dec 16
[4] Bailey MIddle School calendar
[5] Police asking for public's help... VIDEO - WCNC - Dec 17
[6] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Christopher Palmiter (saved on Wayback)
[7] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Diana Cojocari (saved on Wayback)
[8] FBI, SBI Return to Home of 11-Year-Old... - WCCB - Dec 18
[9] Search for Madalina Cojocari expands - WCNC - Dec 19
[10] Police search lake in Cornelius... - Charlotte Observer - Dec 19

Last edited:
The Prius looks to be from 2006-2009:
The rear, visible in the 2019 street view, helps to date it, with the fixed antenna (2003-2005 had a folding antenna). The dealer is from Winston-Salem. The bumper sticker is for something like a kids' charity, involving Kiwanis and some other organization(s).

I'm glad to see you on this thread, as I was actually going to tag you to ask your thoughts on what would be the reason for a judge to RAISE someone's bond, as MC's stepfather's was raised this morning.

I would also appreciate an informed opinion on this.

My completely uneducated guess thinks maybe he saw the Mothers mugshot and drew a conclusion (or more likely had added case info) I have no idea if that is allowed but I'm sure an experienced Judge could find a good reason. MOO.

I'm assuming she spoke to/saw somebody online ?
Doubtful she'd be out with friends anywhere that late ...
But again , I'm thinking this is a non-family sighting ?
M00.
Tough to say. It seems like it would be corroborated info, but it may not be. I was recently following the Beth Capaldi case, and it wasn’t until she had a NamUs entry that we had some confirmation that LE was doubting her husband’s report of her time missing. That report clearly indicated that they did not trust his info, and he has subsequently been charged with her murder after leading LE to partial remains and a grand jury. So, hard to say early on whence the info about her last seen time and whether it is trustworthy. As an aside, I have been looking for a NamUs for M, but there isn’t one yet. All MOO.

I wonder if the report of her missing came so late instead of not at all, is because the district finally reached out. In our district and a few others of people I know, after the 5th day (could be less), they send you a truancy letter. Usually, the letter says how many days they have been absent, and how to clear them but usually, the one that sticks out, is about how you will or could be required to go to truancy court.

I'm assuming she spoke to/saw somebody online ?
Doubtful she'd be out with friends anywhere that late ...
But again , I'm thinking this is a non-family sighting ?
M00.
Funny, I'm suspecting the opposite, that mom and/or stepdad told LE they last saw her at 10 pm, perhaps at her bedtime.

Then what? They wake up the next morning and she's gone so they do nothing? Two weeks later they go not to the police but to her school to report her missing. Who notified police at that point I wonder, parents or school?

Obviously we're missing a huge chunk of information because on the surface it looks like these are the dumbest criminals ever. IMO.

Funny, I'm suspecting the opposite, that mom and/or stepdad told LE they last saw her at 10 pm, perhaps at her bedtime.

Then what? They wake up the next morning and she's gone so they do nothing? Two weeks later they go not to the police but to her school to report her missing. Who notified police at that point I wonder, parents or school?

Obviously we're missing a huge chunk of information because on the surface it looks like these are the dumbest criminals ever. IMO.
Yes, it is baffling to me that they 'last saw her' at 10 pm, and then the next day, nothing happens?

Do they shrug and think 'she'll turn up eventually' as if she was a stray cat they were feeding?

Unfortunately I think it may mean they have evidence that she's no longer alive or has been seriously injured. Increasing bail usually means there are additional charges coming or new evidence has been discovered to suggest the defendant is either 1) more dangerous than thought or 2) more a flight risk than thought.

I will have to look into the NC statutes specifically but that's what my gut says.

Yes, it is baffling to me that they 'last saw her' at 10 pm, and then the next day, nothing happens?

Do they shrug and think 'she'll turn up eventually' as if she was a stray cat they were feeding?
I think both of them know exactly where she is (or was).
I'm wondering if LE have come across some additional evidence (such as search history on someone's device) that implicates the parents even further than just failing to report a missing child. MC's mom is scheduled to appear tomorrow, and now I'm curious if her bond will be increased as well.

Unfortunately I think it may mean they have evidence that she's no longer alive or has been seriously injured. Increasing bail usually means there are additional charges coming or new evidence has been discovered to suggest the defendant is either 1) more dangerous than thought or 2) more a flight risk than thought.

I will have to look into the NC statutes specifically but that's what my gut says.
Posting at the same time, and I sure wish I would have been wrong about that. Ugh.

Here's a copy of the CMS attendance policy. Student Attendance & Absences / CMS District Attendance Policies

For a student under 16, the teacher attempts to reach out after 3 missed school days, the principal attempts to reach out after 6 days and the principal/designee sends a certified letter after 10 days about the absences and the possibility of criminal prosecution. So that would have occurred last Monday, December 12th. If the unexcused absences continue, Student Services is to be contacted to see if there is sufficient evidence for prosecution.

It seems to me that this is what occurred and this is why the parents went to talk to the school on Friday, December 16th. My guess is that they hoped to prevent LE from being contacted and it was likely the school or Student Services that notified the police.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 4.25.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 4.25.00 PM.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics