NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, parents reported missing Dec 15, last seen at home, Cornelius, 23 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly this woman is not cooperating at all. Begrudgingly reported her child missing and that came after she opted not to at all, because she was worried it would affect her relationship with her husband.

So clearly, SHE came first, not her daughter.

Nope, this woman gets zero benefit of the doubt from me. None. Nada. Zip. She had her chance in front of the judge and an entire SAFE courtroom full of witnesses this morning, and she STILL chooses to stay quiet. Despicable.

jmo
Agreed. Being scared to ruin relationship with husband so not reporting your child missing?

Also if mom was scared of ruining relationship pver asking questions or reporting daughter missing it’s telling to me that she knew / felt he might have done something to her daughter.
Normal situation would be to realise that child is missing and BOTH of parents are worried and want child back? Didn’t seem tbat way so neither of them gets my empathy as of now.

The stepfather actually says that he hadn't seen Madalina since November 16th, a week before he left on his trip. The school counselor says that Madalina hadn't been to school since November 21st.

I don't know if possibly the father travels for his job or works strange hours but it seems like this little girl has actually been missing up to a week longer than is currently being stated. You can't trust a single word coming out of these parents mouths.

TIMELINE UPDATES in RED

MC = Madalina Cojocari, 11-year-old missing from home at 18413 Victoria Bay Rd, Cornelius, NC
SDadCP = stepfather Christopher Palmiter
MomDC = mother Diana Cojocari

----------------------------------------

JUL 8, 2020
MomDC posts FB video with comment "Is something wrong of being violent?" - VIDEO - Transcription

T NOV 22
MC attended classes at Bailey Middle School [10]

W NOV 23 - MADALINA COJOCARI LAST SEEN ------------------------------------------------------------------
NO SCHOOL [4]
[PM] - MC last seen at home [1] at 10PM [10] when she went to bed [12]
[PM] - According to MomDC, she and SDadCP had an argument that night [12]

Th NOV 24 - DAY 1
THANKSGIVING - NO SCHOOL [4]
[AM] - According to MomDC, SDadCP drove to Michigan to "recover some items"; he claims he did not see her before he left [12]
11:30AM - According to MomDC, when she went to check on MC, she was gone [12]

F NOV 25 - DAY 2
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL [4]

Sa NOV 26 - DAY 3
7PM - According to MomDC, SDadCP returned from his trip to Michigan and she asked him if he knew where MC was, but he did not; she did not make missing persons report because she was "worried to might start a conflict" between her and SDadCP; he claims that he asked MomDC then and in weeks following if she had "hidden" MC from him [12]

Su NOV 27 - DAY 4
[PM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at the residence "at all hours" beginning on this day [5@2:22]

M-W DEC 12-14? - ("earlier in the week")
[TIME?] - authorities tried to make a home visit to address MC's truancy, but no one answered at residence [12]

Th DEC 15 - REPORTED MISSING - DAY 22
[TIME?] - MC reported missing to Bailey Middle School SRO by "parents" [1] Mom DC asked to bring MC to meeting at school about truancy but arrived without her, claiming that she did not know where MC was [12]

F DEC 16 - DAY 23
[PM] FBI, SBI searching residence, "spent hours digging in the ground in her backyard, and searching for evidence inside the home" [3]

Sa DEC 17 - SDadCP & MomDC ARRESTED - DAY 24
12:29AM [6] - SDadCP arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [2]
[AM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at residence up to this time [5@2:22]
10:12AM - MomDC arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [7]

Su DEC 18 - DAY 25
[PM] - FBI, SBI, CPD return to residence, collect evidence, bring in K9 unit, tow vehicle [8]

View attachment 388683

M DEC 19 - DAY 26
[AM] - Search includes Lake Cornelius [9]
[AM] - SDadCP appears in court, bond increased to $200k [9]; represented by public defender; both parents state they do not know where MC is [11]

T DEC 20

[AM] - MomDC appears in court [9]; bond increased to $250k [13]; electronic monitoring will be required should she makes bond [14]
7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled in common area near home [10]

Th DEC 22
7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled at Cornelius Town Square [10]

W DEC 28
[TIME?] - Next court date for SDadCP [11]

------------
SOURCES
[1] Cornelius PD FB post - Dec 15
[2] Stepdad of missing 11-year-old - WSOC - Dec 16
[3] FBI, SBI search Cornelius home - WCCB - Dec 16
[4] Bailey MIddle School calendar
[5] Police asking for public's help... VIDEO - WCNC - Dec 17
[6] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Christopher Palmiter (saved on Wayback)
[7] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Diana Cojocari (saved on Wayback)
[8] FBI, SBI Return to Home of 11-Year-Old... - WCCB - Dec 18
[9] Search for Madalina Cojocari expands - WCNC - Dec 19
[10] Police search lake in Cornelius... - Charlotte Observer - Dec 19
[11] Stepfather of missing 11-year-old... - WBTV - Dec 20
[12] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[13] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[14] @MaryCalkinsTV tweet - WBTV - Dec 20

--------------

MOOs
Wow, this does not sound like a healthy living situation for anyone involved. MomDC doesn't report her own child missing because she's afraid it will cause marital conflict??? So did they really each think that the other had hidden MC away to punish the other? Or is that just the story they came up with together? My heart absolutely goes out to the poor girl stuck in the middle.

Also, taking a 12+ hour roadtrip on Thanksgiving Day without your family? Sure sounds sus to me.

According to the WBTV.com article, on 15 December MomDC reported last seeing her on TUESDAY (22nd) at noon? How does she account for the change in her story? A school day at noon is much different than a non-school day at 10pm.

LE started off their investigation already 3 weeks behind on Day 1; aside from cell phone records/GPS, mom would be their greatest asset / source of information about what really happened. Separating her from her husband, ensuring her safety and gaining her trust would be the best way to get her to feel comfortable opening up and talking. And the easiest way to accomplish or at least begin that separation, safety, and trust would have been to arrest just the husband. Yet, LE didn't seem to go that route; instead arresting both instead of just stepdad.

However, stepdad was arrested several hours (10?) before mom. The timing of that could mean nothing, or it could be that LE was going to try that tactic, but quickly came to the conclusion that tactic wasn't going to work on her or that she was equally complicit/not a victim; her arrest, the phrases in court "begrudgingly reported her daughter missing" "impeding the investigation" and her bond being set 50k higher than stepdad's today leads me to believe that my initial thoughts about mom are true.

According to the WBTV.com article, on 15 December MomDC reported last seeing her on TUESDAY (22nd) at noon? How does she account for the change in her story? A school day at noon is much different than a non-school day at 10pm.

She wasn't even in school that week according to the counselor (absent since Nov 21).

She's been missing for so long that the parents can't even keep their lies straight. The only bright side that I see coming out of this is the parents don't seem to communicate well enough to have fully covered their tracks. I hope there's DNA evidence in the house/car. Looking for the girl locally seems almost pointless since the stepfather drove to Michigan.

How long can cadaver dogs pick up a scent? I know that they can smell a decomposing body for years and years but if the body has been removed from a location, how long can they pick up a scent?

LE started off their investigation already 3 weeks behind on Day 1; aside from cell phone records/GPS, mom would be their greatest asset / source of information about what really happened. Separating her from her husband, ensuring her safety and gaining her trust would be the best way to get her to feel comfortable opening up and talking. And the easiest way to accomplish or at least begin that separation, safety, and trust would have been to arrest just the husband. Yet, LE didn't seem to go that route; instead arresting both instead of just stepdad.

However, stepdad was arrested several hours (10?) before mom. The timing of that could mean nothing, or it could be that LE was going to try that tactic, but quickly came to the conclusion that tactic wasn't going to work on her or that she was equally complicit/not a victim; her arrest, the phrases in court "begrudgingly reported her daughter missing" "impeding the investigation" and her bond being set 50k higher than stepdad's today leads me to believe that my initial thoughts about mom are true.
Agreed. The delay in arresting the mother has to mean something. Neither of them reported the child missing and although they both have the same legal obligation to report, the stepfather had traveled out of town. The mother "failed to report" her own daughter missing for longer than him.

It definitely seems like LE hoped to get her to open up and it became apparent that she wasn't so they arrested her too.

Clearly this little gal was missing even before the November 23 date now being reported. The only reason they finally reported her missing was the truancy visit on Dec 21st that begins the timeline of authorities being involved in the case. The visit was prompted because nobody had seen this child outside of the mother and stepfather since Nov 18th (ostensibly her last day present at school) if I am understanding correctly. So parents conveniently report she's been missing since Nov 23rd. stinks to high heaven. None of their baloney makes any sense.

Poor girl, this is no search for a missing person but a recovery effort. What did they do to this little cutie?

I think...

- they're both lying through their teeth
- they both know exactly what happened to her
- possibly only one of them knows where she is now (or where she was last)
- the other one knows how she got there, and they're both lying about that too
- one of them fatally assaulted her
- both of them are covering it up

Since neither of them seem to have any kind of criminal record, I think LE will unravel this pretty quickly.

jmo

JMO and It's more of an idea than an opinion.
What if there was some arguing between the parents over Madalina? Maybe the Stepdad said he was going to take her to (insert family member) to get her out of the way as he felt she was taking up too much of the mother's time or felt she was misbehaving and needed time with strict grandma or the like. He told Mum that if she reported her missing, he would (insert threat).
As I said, its just an idea. I get the feeling she is alive somewhere; maybe it's just wishful thinking. The behaviour of the mother doesn't make sense. I know it doesnt in many cases, especially when the mother has done something.
But this feels different somehow as if she knows where she is and knows she's safe but it wasnt her choice and she has been threatened to keep quiet?
JMO

JMO and It's more of an idea than an opinion.
What if there was some arguing between the parents over Madalina? Maybe the Stepdad said he was going to take her to (insert family member) to get her out of the way as he felt she was taking up too much of the mother's time or felt she was misbehaving and needed time with strict grandma or the like. He told Mum that if she reported her missing, he would (insert threat).
As I said, its just an idea. I get the feeling she is alive somewhere; maybe it's just wishful thinking. The behaviour of the mother doesn't make sense. I know it doesnt in many cases, especially when the mother has done something.
But this feels different somehow as if she knows where she is and knows she's safe but it wasnt her choice and she has been threatened to keep quiet?
JMO
I would have been more apt to buy this as a plausible theory until the mom's court appearance today where she continued to be unhelpful. With both of them in custody, she is now safe to confess any secrets she may have been holding in the name of safety.

I think...

- they're both lying through their teeth
- they both know exactly what happened to her
- possibly only one of them knows where she is now (or where she was last)
- the other one knows how she got there, and they're both lying about that too
- one of them fatally assaulted her
- both of them are covering it up

Since neither of them seem to have any kind of criminal record, I think LE will unravel this pretty quickly.

jmo
Agreed. The mom as a victim card is no longer in the deck IMO.

Their stories are as contradictory and confounding as parents who claim they gave their child away. These losers couldn't even come up with a reasonable explanation. Thank goodness. Let's see who breaks first...

Short Version of the post below. If you would like to donate to our volunteer moderator staff please do so using one of the places below. Please put "FOR THE MODS" in the description. Thank you.
PayPal
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Hi Everyone,
Forgive me for interrupting but this is important. Please do not post questions about this post on this thread. Go to THIS THREAD to ask questions.

DID YOU KNOW BY THE END OF THE DAY OUR MODS WILL HAVE HANDLED HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF ALERTS? YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THIS BECAUSE THAT IS HOW GOOD THE MODS ARE AT THEIR JOBS.

One of the many things I love about Websleuths is we can come on here, discuss true crime, and not have to deal with all the stupid drama and baloney we have to deal with on other platforms. Do you know why? It is the hard work of our wonderful volunteer moderators.

Because of these incredible moderators, you don't see the following, the trolls that constantly try and disrupt. You don't see the newbies who don't know the rules and post a bunch of unproven rumors in cases, You don't see the mean people insulting your posts, you don't see the stupid threats angry people post, and guess what? I could go on and on. In other words, the mods make your experience the best you can find when it comes to discussing true crime.

If you could donate even one dollar that would be great. If half the people that come to Websleuths today donated one dollar we would be able to give the mods a wonderful bonus for all their hard work.

One hundred percent of the money raised goes to the moderators.

If you cannot donate we completely understand. If you could please post a word of thanks to our mods on THIS THREAD that would be wonderful.

If you would like to donate to the moderators at Websleuths.com please do so using one of the places below and be sure and put in the description "FOR THE MODS"
Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
OR you can use
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
Bank to Bank using zelle please use the email address triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Please be sure to put in the memo "FOR THE MODS"

Websleuths.com will always be free for members. It costs nothing to join and it never will.
If you like to read at Websleuths because of the incredible work of our members please know the reason our members are able to do what they do is because of our dedicated volunteer moderator staff.

This video explains what the moderators do every day to keep Websleuths the most respected true crime discussion forum on the Internet.
Thank you,

Tricia Griffith Owner/Websleuths.com

I agree with what all of you are saying. These 2 are a piece of work. I can't even in my wildest of an imagination come up with how this could/would work for either of them. The dates change, he's conveniently out of town, no wait, he hasn't seen her since the week before, no wait, she was in school on that date so that won't work, and this mother of the year didn't want to have a confrontation so she isn't going to say anything about her child missing to upset him and her dates changed as well. Holy crap

...The Mecklenburg County warrant gave a clear timeline of the events. On the night of November 23rd, a Wednesday, an argument occurred between Madalina Cojocari’s mother, 30-year-old Diana Cojocari, and her step-father, 60-year-old Christopher Palmiter. During the argument, Madlina went into her room, her mother said. Palmiter then drove to Michigan, where he has family, to retrieve some items. Around 11:30 a.m. the next day, Diana stated she went into Madalina’s room and she was gone. The mother said she didn’t report it until three weeks later because she was worried it would affect her relationship with her husband, Palmiter.
Madalina was a student at Bailey Middle School and it is unknown why she wasn’t in school that Thursday morning. The mother told the stepfather Madalina was missing on November 26th, records showed.

Palmiter was contacted after Madalina’s disappearance was reported and said the last time he had seen Madalina was a week before he left for Michigan.
Christopher was scheduled to appear in a Mecklenburg County court at 9 a.m. Monday and Diana on Tuesday at the same time. Each was held on a $100,000 bond, according to the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office. During Monday’s court appearance, the state said Diana and Christopher have not provided any information on the girls’ whereabouts. Christopher’s next court date will be next Wednesday.
BBM Wait, what? a week before Thanksgiving? So where does he say she is? The mother's alleged cockamamie story is Madalina went to bed Wednesday night, and step dad headed off to Michigan in the middle of the night. If he hadn't seen his stepdaughter in a week prior to Thanksgiving then where the hell did he think she was? I'm only one page behind on this thread but I may have missed a lot trying to catch up.

Honestly I guess it doesn't really matter what either of them say because neither of them is telling the truth. I'll go back and do some re-reading, but I'm sick and mad as hell that here's another beautiful life most liksely lost. Heartbreaking.

All MOO and JMO

Is she an only child?
I'm assuming yes, only because there haven't been any other children mentioned, and both parents in the home are now sitting in jail. If there were other (underage) kids, there would have been some sort of mention of them being taken into foster care or with other family or some sort of info like that.

jmo

TIMELINE UPDATES in RED / contradictions in ORANGE

MC = Madalina Cojocari, 11-year-old missing from home at 18413 Victoria Bay Rd, Cornelius, NC
SDadCP = stepfather Christopher Palmiter
MomDC = mother Diana Cojocari

----------------------------------------

JUL 8, 2020
MomDC posts FB video with comment "Is something wrong of being violent?" - VIDEO - Transcription

W NOV 16
[TIME?] - According to SDadCP, this was the last time he saw MC [15]

M NOV 21
According to school counselor, this was the last time MC attended school [15] - cf T NOV 22

T NOV 22
[TIME?] MC attended classes at Bailey Middle School [10] - cf M NOV 21
12PM - According to MomDC's report on Dec 15, MC was missing since this time [16] - cf W NOV 23

W NOV 23 - MADALINA COJOCARI LAST SEEN ------------------------------------------------------------------
NO SCHOOL [4]
[PM] - MC last seen at home [1] at 10PM [10] by MomDC when MC went to bed [12] - cf T NOV 22
[PM] - According to MomDC, she and SDadCP had an argument that night [12]

Th NOV 24 - DAY 1
THANKSGIVING - NO SCHOOL [4]
[AM] - According to MomDC, SDadCP drove to Michigan to "recover some items"; he claims he did not see her before he left [12]
11:30AM - According to MomDC, when she went to check on MC, she was gone [12]

F NOV 25 - DAY 2
THANKSGIVING BREAK - NO SCHOOL [4]

Sa NOV 26 - DAY 3
7PM - According to MomDC, SDadCP returned from his trip to Michigan and she asked him if he knew where MC was, but he did not; she did not make missing persons report because she was "worried to might start a conflict" between her and SDadCP; he claims that he asked MomDC then and in weeks following if she had "hidden" MC from him [12]

Su NOV 27 - DAY 4
[PM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at the residence "at all hours" beginning on this day [5@2:22]

M DEC 12 - DAY 20
2PM [17] - SRO tried to make a home visit to address MC's truancy, but no one answered at residence [12];
truancy packet was left [15]

W DEC 14 - DAY 21
[TIME?] - MomDC calls school counselor and schedules meeting to discuss truancy, saying she will bring MC [15]

Th DEC 15 - REPORTED MISSING - DAY 22
1:15PM - MC reported missing to Bailey Middle School SRO by "parents" [1] MomDC supposed to bring MC to meeting at school about truancy but arrived without her, claiming that she did not know where MC was [12]

F DEC 16 - DAY 23
[PM] FBI, SBI searching residence, "spent hours digging in the ground in her backyard, and searching for evidence inside the home" [3]

Sa DEC 17 - SDadCP & MomDC ARRESTED - DAY 24
12:29AM [6] - SDadCP arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [2]
[AM] According to neighbors, there were fires burning in the yard at residence up to this time [5@2:22]
10:12AM - MomDC arrested for failure to report disappearance of child, held on $100k bond [7]

Su DEC 18 - DAY 25
[PM] - FBI, SBI, CPD return to residence, collect evidence, bring in K9 unit, tow vehicle [8]
View attachment 388683

M DEC 19 - DAY 26
[AM] - Search includes Lake Cornelius [9]
[AM] - SDadCP appears in court, bond increased to $200k [9]; represented by public defender; both parents state they do not know where MC is [11]

T DEC 20 - DAY 27
[AM] - MomDC appears in court [9]; bond increased to $250k [13]; electronic monitoring will be required should she makes bond [14]

7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled in common area near home [10]

Th DEC 22
7PM - Prayer vigil scheduled at Cornelius Town Square [10]

W DEC 28
[TIME?] - Next court date for SDadCP [11]

------------
SOURCES
[1] Cornelius PD FB post - Dec 15
[2] Stepdad of missing 11-year-old - WSOC - Dec 16
[3] FBI, SBI search Cornelius home - WCCB - Dec 16
[4] Bailey MIddle School calendar
[5] Police asking for public's help... VIDEO - WCNC - Dec 17
[6] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Christopher Palmiter (saved on Wayback)
[7] Mecklenburg Co arrest record for Diana Cojocari (saved on Wayback)
[8] FBI, SBI Return to Home of 11-Year-Old... - WCCB - Dec 18
[9] Search for Madalina Cojocari expands - WCNC - Dec 19
[10] Police search lake in Cornelius... - Charlotte Observer - Dec 19
[11] Stepfather of missing 11-year-old... - WBTV - Dec 20
[12] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[13] @DerekDlngr tweet THREAD - WJZY - Dec 20
[14] @MaryCalkinsTV tweet - WBTV - Dec 20
[15] Arrest report: Mom, dad say missing girl last seen - WSOC - Dec 20
[16] Mom has 'hindered the investigation' - WBTV - Dec 20
[17] @SydneyHeiberger tweet - Fox46 - Dec 20
https://twitter.com/SydneyHeiberger

-------------

MOOs

So was MC at school on T NOV 22 or not? How does SDadCP account for not seeing his stepdaughter who lives with him for a week leading up to the supposed date of her disappearance? Oh, I believe that the parents argued on NOV 23, and I believe he left and went somewhere the next morning, but considering that's about all these two have been consistent about, I'll bet that's about the extent of the truth in their stories.

Last edited:
All of the mother's videos were strange to begin with but I thought it was sad how the little girl would just swim by or float past seemingly seeking attention from her mother. Her mom may have been giving her attention before or after but it all seemed odd. The first conclusion that most people jumped to is that the stepfather harmed the child. As more facts have come out, the blame is more evenly placed. But the mother could certainly be the one that harmed the child. It does happen. If she REALLY loved Madalina and the stepfather harmed her, I would expect the case to be progressing differently at this point. The stepfather may be an accessory after the fact.

DC told the counselor that she would bring M to the meeting at the school. Then she went to the school without her. Why tell the counselor that? And why even bother going at all? This is really nagging at me because my own intuition is that it was DC who is responsible for “disappearing” her daughter. Why not just let the days drag on until there is finally a warrant for her for failure to appear in court and LE comes to her door to arrest her? It would have bought her more time to cover up her crime or hatch an escape plan.

Maybe the school’s contacts were provoking her conscience? And she thought she could point the finger at her husband and make them leave her alone? She had soooooo much time to come up with a better story than “Jeez, when I finally got around to checking on her *at almost noon* the day he left and saw she wasn’t there, I just figured she was with him, and I didn’t want to bother him, so you know, I never checked. When he got back, though, I did make a point of asking him if he hid her. After that, I just told you all that she was sick.”

Her mind is not right (that video!!). It seems like more than just being dense.

I wonder what the public defender thinks of the new client?

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member