NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think eventually, one of them will do exactly that. Maybe not tell everything, but one of them will eventually cave (probably when LE confronts them with the evidence that indicates she's likely no longer alive) and blame the other one, imo, and that will get the ball rolling.

I think, one of them killed her, they both know exactly what happened and why, and then one of them disposed of her.
And I'd love for nothing more, than to be completely wrong, and she's alive somewhere. That's just not statistically the way this will end up, unfortunately.

jmo
I agree, I think one of them will eventually break. And as you I think she is no longer with us and that they both know what happened and where she is /or one knows where exactly where she is .

I’m surprised that if they worked together to cover up crime, why didn’t they come up with same story? Make up a better story? Make sure they are on same page. They had 3 weeks to come up with same story and yet nothing they say seems believable and even the dates don’t match. ( last seen)

Last edited:
I agree, I think one of them will eventually break. And as you I think she is no longer with us and that they both know what happened and where she is /or one knows where exactly where she is .

I’m surprised that if they worked together to cover up crime, why didn’t they come up with same story? Make up a better story? Make sure they are on same page. They had 3 weeks to come up with same story and yet nothing they say seems believable and even the dates don’t match. ( last seen)
Early in the investigation I thought parents were just plain dumb by not coming up with a better story for M's disappearance. However, now I am wondering if parents believe they are being shrewd by giving conflicting and illogical statements. Is it their plan to baffle LE with nonsence?

I'm also very concerned with the amount of evidence likely destroyed from home and vehicles during first three weeks of M's disappearance.

Early in the investigation I thought parents were just plain dumb by not coming up with a better story for M's disappearance. However, now I am wondering if parents believe they are being shrewd by giving conflicting and illogical statements. Is it their plan to baffle LE with nonsence?

I'm also very concerned with the amount of evidence likely destroyed from home and vehicles during first three weeks of M's disappearance.
I don’t know, I believe that their statements brought a lot of suspicion. I dont know if they tried to throw LE off by “ playing dumb” but I don’t think that worked in their favour. There is just not an excuse of why not reporting your 11 year old child missing.
What if school didn’t pursue need to see Madalina? We wouldn’t even have this thread now because she wouldn’t be reported missing.
Imo

Sooner or later, aren’t these “parents” going to post bond or be scheduled for a trial on the failure to report a missing child charges?

Of course LE is attempting to gather more evidence about what happened to Madalina, but if they can’t put it together, these two could be tried, sentenced and potentially even disappear. I wonder if their respective relatives are attempting to gather funds for bond payment.

Sooner or later, aren’t these “parents” going to post bond or be scheduled for a trial on the failure to report a missing child charges?

Of course LE is attempting to gather more evidence about what happened to Madalina, but if they can’t put it together, these two could be tried, sentenced and potentially even disappear. I wonder if their respective relatives are attempting to gather funds for bond payment.
I hope that LE is going to find Madalina before that or have enough evidence to secure arrest for murder. Imo

I think parents will eventually face trial. The question is.. On what charge?

As LE uncovers more evidence, I'm hoping one of the parents will be persuaded to flip against the other.

Re bond: Wondering if sale of their home would be sufficient for bond payment?
Everything I write here is my opinion only.

Sadly these parents reminds me too much of those in cases like Erika Parsons or Tylee Ryan and Joshua “JJ” Vallow. We all think they’ll give in-but they don’t-at least not until they absolutely have to or are charged with something else. It’s heartbreaking that there are not just people like this but that these people become parents.

I can see why the parents are not cooperating. They're charged under NC Statute 14-318.5(B):

(b) A parent or any other person providing care to or supervision of a child who knowingly or wantonly fails to report the disappearance of a child to law enforcement is in violation of this subsection. Unless the conduct is covered under some other provision of law providing greater punishment, a violation of this subsection is punishable as a Class I felony.

A Class I felony is punishable by 3 to 12 months in prison. North Carolina has a somewhat complicated punishment system which depends of several factors. There are also child abuse charges that could elevate the felony to a level G or E which substantially raises the prison time. IMO the parents are gambling that the final charges won't include murder. MOO.

I suspect more serious charges are coming, especially if enough forensic evidence was collected to support a possible homicide. No body murder convictions aren't easy but they're not impossible IMO. And some lesser crimes also have substantial punishment. I don't see LE and the DA letting the parents skate without years of imprisonment.

These people are playing a game that they're going to lose IMO.

Here's a good timeline published by WCNC. It also notes the conflicting dates. IMO Diana couldn't keep her lies straight:

Nov. 22, 2022 - Conflicting dates​

According to an arrest record, the mother of missing 11-year-old Cornelius girl Madalina Cojocari, Diana Cojocari, told police she last saw Madalina at noon this day. But later in that same arrest record, Diana changes her story and said she last saw her on Nov. 23 at 10 p.m. instead.

Nov. 23, 2022 - Madalina last seen​

Diana Cojocari claims later in the same arrest record that she actually last saw Madalina at home this day around 10 p.m. when she went to bed. Diana told police later that she and Madalina's stepfather Christopher Palmiter fought that evening.

Here's a good timeline published by WCNC. It also notes the conflicting dates. IMO Diana couldn't keep her lies straight:

According to an arrest record, the mother of missing 11-year-old Cornelius girl Madalina Cojocari, Diana Cojocari, told police she last saw Madalina at noon this day. But later in that same arrest record, Diana changes her story and said she last saw her on Nov. 23 at 10 p.m. instead.

Diana Cojocari claims later in the same arrest record that she actually last saw Madalina at home this day around 10 p.m. when she went to bed. Diana told police later that she and Madalina's stepfather Christopher Palmiter fought that evening.
IIRC, there was a post here that asked about a possible call from DC to school on 12/5-I’m not seeing that anywhere-we weren’t able to verify that, correct?
This link also seems to imply that the judge didn’t ask for DCs passport but that she surrendered it willingly? Am I misinterpreting that?

If only one of them took her life, it sounds like they are trying to frame the other. Maybe Mom is trying to frame step Dad? If they got into a fight before he left, she very well could have taken her anger out on the child and taken it too far. I had hoped Mom would crack already, and step Dad can't flip if he really doesn't know. But he also can't possibly care enough since he didn't push for her to be reported missing. She can try to claim not understanding our systems over here, but he can't.

IIRC, there was a post here that asked about a possible call from DC to school on 12/5-I’m not seeing that anywhere-we weren’t able to verify that, correct?
This link also seems to imply that the judge didn’t ask for DCs passport but that she surrendered it willingly? Am I misinterpreting that?
I haven't seen any report/confirmation of DC calling the school on 12/5. The bond conditions were set by the judge in chambers.

Judge Paulina Havelka said there would be no bond hearings or actions for Diana Cojocari and Palmiter. Diana Cojocari is held on $250,000 bond and Palmiter is held on $200,000 bond set last week.

Instead, the defense attorneys and prosecutors agreed on new bond conditions with the judge, behind closed doors.

If released on bond, both parents will be required to surrender their passports. Palmiter would also have to wear an electronic monitoring device.

Arrest sheet:

Last edited:
I wonder what laws NC has for crimes with no bodies. I know each state varies. But I cannot think of the correct wording to look it up for NC.
I can say I can find anything on laws specifically but I have found google responses on nobody cases by state and this one of one specific NC case-so I’m guessing unless something has changed-it can be done?

If only one of them took her life, it sounds like they are trying to frame the other. Maybe Mom is trying to frame step Dad? If they got into a fight before he left, she very well could have taken her anger out on the child and taken it too far. I had hoped Mom would crack already, and step Dad can't flip if he really doesn't know. But he also can't possibly care enough since he didn't push for her to be reported missing. She can try to claim not understanding our systems over here, but he can't.
bolding mine.
Exactly.

“Brandon Roseman, the lawyer for Madelina's stepfather Christopher Palmiter, was seen examining the pit with two men believed to be private investigators on Friday.”

Two things stood out to me. First, the location of the “fire pit” were they trying to burn down the whole neighborhood? Right by the fence and so much dried grass.

Two the quote I posted above. Does this mean step dad hired a PI? Is this a hired lawyer or public defender? Who’s defending Mom?

“Brandon Roseman, the lawyer for Madelina's stepfather Christopher Palmiter, was seen examining the pit with two men believed to be private investigators on Friday.”

Two things stood out to me. First, the location of the “fire pit” were they trying to burn down the whole neighborhood? Right by the fence and so much dried grass.

Two the quote I posted above. Does this mean step dad hired a PI? Is this a hired lawyer or public defender? Who’s defending Mom?
Great find @SpicyFruit!
I found this link where’s its stated that both requested public defenders and have to wear angle monitors should they make bail. So obviously something has changed-at least for CP. Add in that he obviously doesn’t feel any need to protect his wife. What does interest me though is that there are “two men believed to be private investigators.” Both his? Or sent by one of their families? This makes me wonder if this is an honest action or one he’s doing to build his defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member