Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just do not see a father losing track of his child only long enough for a sex offender to find him. I think it will be ruled an accidental death and all this speculation with be for not. I am new here so if I am wrong it will be like digging a grave for myself but hey, it is what I think. Hi, I am Kat. Fingers crossed this was an accident and not a sinister act by a parent or other.
Hi @highly caffeinated Kat :) IMO, a five figure FBI reward could be enough motivation for a person to try claiming credit for assisting the investigation. Just MOO.

Hurricane Florence came in about 10 or 12 days ago and brought alot of rain to the area. I admit, I haven't laid eyes on the creek since then but the portion of the creek where I live, which is along the Long Creek bridge, is about 2 feet deep normally.

It did rain heavy yesterday.

How high does it rise with heavy rain?

Let's say it rained a few times starting from the day he went missing until today and I think it did, if any of those rains were heavy, would the creek rise? It looks to me like it would be whitewater fun with a good gully washer or two.

All of the Florence generated storms throughout the last several days, although hit or miss, have been moving west to east through TN and I can't imagine they got to the NC state line and stopped. We've had some high winds and flooding in several places. A tornado a day or two ago I believe.

Heavy rains Monday, Tuesday and some yesterday. I'm sure NC just across the line got some too which would mean that creek was likely swollen.

Most likely, without knowing anything else is he drowned in the creek and was swept downstream.

Here's a rainfall map of NC during Hurricane Florence -- she set new records in many areas of NC and SC. The hurricane just stopped and stalled over a big area of NC -- our beaches, of which we have many, really took a beating, but nearly all areas of NC were affected.
Notice the city of Charlotte -- Gastonia is about 10 miles due west of Charlotte, so they probably got about as much rain as Charlotte during those several days. Many rivers and lakes overflowed their banks.
Click on the teeny tiny chart...

ffa3edc7-c09e-4876-9c3f-c9e865891920.jpg

Florence Sets Preliminary North Carolina and South Carolina Tropical Cyclone Rain Records; Third, Fourth States to Do So in 12 Months | The Weather Channel

I was wonder if he either hid in the creek from searchers, or went in to the creek to drink, maybe he went in there on purpose, lost his footing and went under. It's so tragic, I feel so awful for the father, he has to live with this for the rest of his life, there's no such thing as a perfect parent, we all make mistakes, I just hope he can cope with that burden.

Thanks, if we can get our WS resident that lives on that creek to give us a clue how high the creek is known to rise, we just may establish that it was up high enough to easily carry a 45 pound body downstream quite some distance.

According to the charts I'm seeing in your article, the creek should have been very swollen and swift the day he came up missing. Record rainfalls just prior.

The creek I live on will carry a fighting grown man down stream a long way given a 1" rainstorm in a short period of time. It goes from scenic peaceful to roaring Class IV whitewater very quick. Normally, it's about 3' deep with a few 5' holes but, to get to consistently deeper water, you have to go downstream a couple miles.

I've seen it rise more than 10' several times in the last 20 years.

Here's a rainfall map of NC during Hurricane Florence -- she set new records in many areas of NC and SC. The hurricane just stopped and stalled over a big area of NC -- our beaches, of which we have many, really took a beating, but nearly all areas of NC were affected.
Notice the city of Charlotte -- Gastonia is about 10 miles due west of Charlotte, so they probably got about as much rain as Charlotte during those several days. Many rivers and lakes overflowed their banks.
Blame me, not the website, for the margins of this screenshot!

ffa3edc7-c09e-4876-9c3f-c9e865891920.jpg

Florence Sets Preliminary North Carolina and South Carolina Tropical Cyclone Rain Records; Third, Fourth States to Do So in 12 Months | The Weather Channel

How high does it rise with heavy rain?

Let's say it rained a few times starting from the day he went missing until today and I think it did, if any of those rains were heavy, would the creek rise? It looks to me like it would be whitewater fun with a good gully washer or two.

It rained briefly yesterday although it was heavy if I remember correctly. I work third shift and don't recall if any other rain spurts came through during the day.

As far as the creek is concerned, I can't say with certainty how much it has risen to the max in the past or what it was during Florence. For the most part during rains to my knowledge it has been between 2-4 feet.

The impression I got is that at first the father looked for him, got help from the park staff, that assumed his unnamed girlfriend was the mother, then joined in the search and it seems about an hour into they acquiesced to the child being lost.

The guy with the park staff, the one who made the 911 call, directly implied his belief is that the child wasn't at the park that day and he came close to implying he believed the father's mannerisms and reactions indicated guilt of some sort.

Forgive me if this was discussed, but was there a reasonable explanation as to why an hour passed before calling for help? I know when most parents lose sight of their child for even a few minutes, it seems like an eternity.

Last edited:
Twitter
Re: interview with RSO
At 1:25 (see link above) the interviewer asks if RSO thinks it’s possoble for a child to walk to the location Maddox was found and his answer gives the impression that Maddox would’ve had to cross a busy highway to get there. Does anyone know/can we tell from maps if this is accurate?

That is a peculiar place to put a water reservoir to have a creek right there that doesn't swell dramatically, unless that reservoir has it tamed.

The lay of the land for the most part is rolling to gently rolling with elevation of 275 being about 100' higher than the reservoir and the elevation generally decreases continuing in the direction from 275 towards 321 and a bit beyond eastwardly, correct?

That reservoir sits in the bottom of a bowl, surrounded by higher elevations all around, sound right?

Would you agree the level of the creek there at the park's track isn't at a much lower elevation?

Would you agree walking straight to the creek from the track is quite viable? It appears to be within 25' at the closest point.

It rained briefly yesterday although it was heavy if I remember correctly. I work third shift and don't recall if any other rain spurts came through during the day.

As far as the creek is concerned, I can't say with certainty how much it has risen to the max in the past or what it was during Florence. For the most part during rains to my knowledge it has been between 2-4 feet.

That appears to be completely false to me.

It also appears due to record setting rainfalls in the area for the several days prior to the child coming up missing, the creek was very likely moving faster than normal and at a higher level.

This suggests he likely jumped in, there at the park to go swimming and ended up being found 6 days later downstream.

Twitter
Re: interview with RSO
At 1:25 (see link above) the interviewer asks if RSO thinks it’s possoble for a child to walk to the location Maddox was found and his answer gives the impression that Maddox would’ve had to cross a busy highway to get there. Does anyone know/can we tell from maps if this is accurate?

Last edited:
That appears to be completely false to me.

It also appears due to record setting rainfalls in the area for the several days prior to the child coming up missing, the creek was very likely moving faster than normal and at a higher level.

This means suggests may have jumped in, there at the park to go swimming and ended up being found 6 days later downstream
This makes perfect sense, and highly likely IMO. Was it hot that day?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Anyone else having problem with the website today? It's acting wonky for me.
My perception of the press conference today was FBI/LE is still not comfortable with this whole thing. Emphasizing they still have the same questions as we all do.
Any other takes?
The autopsy will tell us a great deal, and answer alot of questions I speculate.

That is a peculiar place to put a water reservoir to have a creek right there that doesn't swell dramatically, unless that reservoir has it tamed.

The lay of the land for the most part is rolling to gently rolling with elevation of 275 being about 100' higher than the reservoir and the elevation generally decreases continuing in the direction from 275 towards 321 and a bit beyond eastwardly, correct?

That reservoir sits in the bottom of a bowl, surrounded by higher elevations all around, sound right?

Would you agree the level of the creek there at the park's track isn't at a much lower elevation?

Would you agree walking straight to the creek from the track is quite viable? It appears to be within 25' at the closest point.

You have the lay of the land correct.

After today's developments, I do think that it is viable to walk up to the creek from the park. The construction of the greenway hasn't started yet, but there is an avenue from the park to get to the creek at the point of where the greenway is supposed to connect to the park. I was under the assumption that the entire park save for the entrance was fenced in and it is except for that particular spot from what I understand.

Forgive me if this was discussed, but was there a reasonable explanation as to why an hour passed before calling for help? I know when most parents lose sight of their child for even a few minutes, it seems like an eternity.
Hi dfanady! Welcome to WS, and your first post!
I think he waited for an hour because this probably wasn't the first time this little guy wandered off. I guess he figured he'd wander right back. : (
Speculation only

I was wonder if he either hid in the creek from searchers, or went in to the creek to drink, maybe he went in there on purpose, lost his footing and went under. It's so tragic, I feel so awful for the father, he has to live with this for the rest of his life, there's no such thing as a perfect parent, we all make mistakes, I just hope he can cope with that burden.
We have thread after thread on this forum of men/boys and bad outcomes with water. It's a bizarre phenomenon.

If he drowned upstream and was swept down, the dogs would only be of use in determing at what point he went into the water.

Flow direction really doesn't matter with regards to dogs losing a scent that became submersed, I just didn't want to confuse anyone with what appears may be likely.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member