Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been reading everyone's posts and as always am so impressed by how many clever, clever WSs there are here!
One fact that really disturbs me is why neither the Dad or the GF didn't attract attention by shouting/screaming that a child is missing to alert and rally those other people in the park to immediately begin looking for him!
I know the panic I have felt on those rare occasions that I could not see my child and add to that that they were near a body of water! I would want as much help as quickly as possible!!
I hope we hear some news tomorrow.

I've wondered about this as well. It seems like such an obvious concept (yelling out either to your child or to other people) yet, he never mentions having done either in his interview.

Possible reasons why not?

-Embarrassment
(not wanting to draw attention to his having lost sight of his child; fear of judgement)

-Denial
(not knowing the severity of the situation at the time or not feeling a need of the assistance or awareness of other park goers)

-Fear
(That yelling Maddox's name might make his son run further away/faster)

Honestly, I agree with others that embarrassment/shame is a large piece to the puzzle both in how some details of the father's accounts of how he lost sight of Maddox to begin with are hard to understand as well as the long delay in calling of the police; therefore I think it likely is at least one factor as to why he wasn't yelling for Maddox or to others for Help as well. Embarrassment.

I got the impression from the FBI press conference after Maddox was found that there's something more than is being said right now. On average two children die per day due to accidental drownings. It is always a tragedy and I know there are ongoing and increasing efforts to stress how quickly this can happen. If Maddox ran off into the creek and accidentally drowned while his dad and LE were looking for him at the park and in the lake, it's really sad but not a criminal matter IMO. Given both what's swirling (fairly or unfairly) about the family and the general unease for parents in the area due to an unknown possible kidnapper, I just think LE would have worked as quickly as possible to announce the COD was accidental drowning.

This is totally IMO MOO but I also felt like the LE officers just looked too sad and disturbed at the press conference. If it looked like an accidental drowning and there was no evidence or injuries on Maddox, I would think most reactions would be sadness and anger that LE didn't find him sooner. Instead they struck me as surprised and horrified? I don't know if I was reading too much into it but I expected more of a PC with the theme that LE was disappointed they couldn't have found him sooner to have possibly saved his life. Instead they focused on that the investigation was just getting started and they have a lot more work to do. Would you have a lot more work to do with an accidental drowning? I don't know.

I hope I'm wrong and they just want to tie up loose ends.

ETA: CDC report on accidental (non-boating) drownings Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts | Home and Recreational Safety | CDC Injury Center

I agree. Its much more of a current diagnosis - at least here in NC. His eye contact was good. I only thought of it due to it being genetic sometimes, the way the lady introduced him at one of the press conferences, comments about the emotions he was showing or not showing, and the way he walked.
Yeah, the first interview I saw I watched very closely for signs just based on genetics. I didn't really see any, but his sort of less worried attitude had me wondering. I've said before, he just didn't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation, but I am staunch in my opinion that he has done nothing wrong other than waiting too long to get help (which was actually the park employee, but you know what I mean).

One more observation - and then I am done here for the night. Ian (dad) says he is no longer a father. Those on the spectrum (from my experience - and I am not) - see life very concretely - not abstract. I would say my family member is not here with me on this Earth, but I am forever a parent/sibling/etc.

I got the impression from the FBI press conference after Maddox was found that there's something more than is being said right now. On average two children die per day due to accidental drownings. It is always a tragedy and I know there are ongoing and increasing efforts to stress how quickly this can happen. If Maddox ran off into the creek and accidentally drowned while his dad and LE were looking for him at the park and in the lake, it's really sad but not a criminal matter IMO. Given both what's swirling (fairly or unfairly) about the family and the general unease for parents in the area due to an unknown possible kidnapper, I just think LE would have worked as quickly as possible to announce the COD was accidental drowning.

This is totally IMO MOO but I also felt like the LE officers just looked too sad and disturbed at the press conference. If it looked like an accidental drowning and there was no evidence or injuries on Maddox, I would think most reactions would be sadness and anger that LE didn't find him sooner. Instead they struck me as surprised and horrified? I don't know if I was reading too much into it but I expected more of a PC with the theme that LE was disappointed they couldn't have found him sooner to have possibly saved his life. Instead they focused on that the investigation was just getting started and they have a lot more work to do. Would you have a lot more work to do with an accidental drowning? I don't know.

ETA: CDC report on accidental (non-boating) drownings Unintentional Drowning: Get the Facts | Home and Recreational Safety | CDC Injury Center

This. Very well said.

One more observation - and then I am done here for the night. Ian (dad) says he is no longer a father. Those on the spectrum (from my experience - and I am not) - see life very concretely - not abstract. I would say my family member is not here with me on this Earth, but I am forever a parent/sibling/etc.

Very Insightful post.

To offer another perspective;

I think this can be individually based on each person's idea of what that title (in this case, Father) means or is based on individual feelings/emotions vs. their mental development or mental abilities or medical diagnosis of anything.

There are people who no longer consider themselves as having a specific title (mother, father, sister, brother, niece, nephew, cousin, etc) if there is a loss of the family member whose existence gave the person the title. I don't believe you have to be anything but neurotypical to feel as though, for example, that you once were, but are no longer a brother if you are a male who lost your only sibling.

Also, I'm not sure how to word this without being offensive, but I'm going to try my very best, because I feel it at least might deserve mentioning (no one else has said it yet though, so I am open to fully accepting that I may be very wrong here)
But, I noticed that some who are attempting to defend or at least give a possible explanation as to different things about the father (lack of emotion, lack of urgency, etc) are suggesting that he may also be on the Autism Spectrum as well. It may be worth considering that just as it is hurtful to point fingers at someone as being possibly guilty of something when LE hasn't named them as a POI, it may also perhaps be offensive to point out reasons you think someone is also on the spectrum when they haven't disclosed any information about their medical history in regards to being anything other than neurotypical.
Again, I'm willing to accept that I may be incorrect, and there are not any WS policies regarding this specifically (to my knowledge anyway) just felt it might be something to think about.....
(If mentioning this has offended someone, so my sincere apologies in advance)

At Raymer-Kepner Funeral Home in Huntersville, North Carolina, Maddox’s visitation will be held on Thursday, Oct. 4 from 7 to 9 p.m., and his funeral will be held on Friday, Oct. 5 at 11 a.m., the obituary noted. A private burial will also take place.

In the funeral home’s guestbook, one well-wisher wrote, “Your beautiful spirit, smile and beautiful blue eyes left an impression on my life

Maddox Ritch Remembered as 'Sweet and Loving Little Boy' as Funeral Plans Are Announced

When the child was missing the entrance/ exit should be blocked. Hopefully more parks will implement this if possible. This park has only one entrance / exit however by time 911 was called, IF he was snatched, they had plenty of time to get gone

I was shopping in a department store once when “Code Adam, Code Adam” was announced. The instant the announcement was made, employees hurried to what must have been their assigned places. From where I was standing I could see several employees hurried to the entrance/exit doors, several went into the restrooms. I saw other employees walking quickly toward the back of the store. A manager appeared and stood at the front door as well.

Just a few moments later the “Code Adam” was over and the employees began walking away from the doors. I asked one employee what it was about, and she explained that a mother had gone to the service desk and said she was looking for her child, and they immediately called a “Code Adam.” She said the child was found in the toy department by an employee who was checking that section of the store.

I was really impressed to see this. It would be a good policy for parks to have also.

I was shopping in a department store once when “Code Adam, Code Adam” was announced. The instant the announcement was made, employees hurried to what must have been their assigned places. From where I was standing I could see several employees hurried to the entrance/exit doors, several went into the restrooms. I saw other employees walking quickly toward the back of the store. A manager appeared and stood at the front door as well.

Just a few moments later the “Code Adam” was over and the employees began walking away from the doors. I asked one employee what it was about, and she explained that a mother had gone to the service desk and said she was looking for her child, and they immediately called a “Code Adam.” She said the child was found in the toy department by an employee who was checking that section of the store.

I was really impressed to see this. It would be a good policy for parks to have also.
And this is one of the legacies of little Adam Walsh, and his now well know Dad John Walsh. (America’s most wanted).

I totally agree with your insight regarding LE's reaction after Maddox's body was found <modsnip - rumor>. It doesn't appear on the surface that they consider this an accidental death. Hopefully, the autopsy result will provide viable results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the area where Maddox was found. The Google satellite resolution is poor so it's hard to see every part of the creek but in the videos that helped me pinpoint where he ended up there were a number of shots of the creek. In some places it looked a little deeper than 2 - 3 feet and in others the water was rushing through rapidly.

I'm starting to think he did go into the creek further upstream, maybe even shortly after he left the paved walkway and got onto the dirt path. From the video it seems possible that he could have fallen into the creek early on and his body washed down to where LE located it. That may be why he wasn't found during earlier searches of the area. It may have taken a day or two for the creek to push him along. JMO.

He will always be a father bless him x

Im safety team leader for several Walmart stores and this is one of the things we teach our new employees as soon as they are hired. We tell them exactly what to do should a code Adam come over the intercome, what places to look, what information to put out on the intercome, in no way do we ever say the childs name when we give out the info for a code Adam. We also teach them to always always look at the childs shoes if they have been given a description of what the child is wearing, being a store with lots of clothing in it a kidnapper might change the childs clothes to get away but most likely they wont think about the childs shoes.

I totally agree with your insight regarding LE's reaction after Maddox's body was found <modsnip - rumor >. It doesn't appear on the surface that they consider this an accidental death. Hopefully, the autopsy result will provide viable results.

Could there be some sort of fish or animals that did any damage?

Last edited by a moderator:
JMO
I have not followed this case too closely but I did watch quite a bit of the news tapes that were taped about the time he was found.

Respectfully deleted by me for space........

I just wanted to say, excellent post, Hatfield! I could not agree more. Another example of this would be the Noah Chamberlain case. There were many, and I do mean many, volunteers that wanted to search outside the parameter that the police established, after LE and other searchers searches the same areas several times with a fine tooth comb. Of course, they found Noah further out than they expected. This was the first time that I had seen actual drone footage with the heat sensors going- amazing how it picked up little critters on the ground so small. Yet, even after having those go by several times, they still searched that area again and again.

They should do exactly what you mentioned- expand the perimeters and use the extra boots on the ground, working their way back towards an inner perimeter. When a child is missing, time is not on LE's side finding them due to many reasons- age, attraction to water, bad weather, poorly clothed for night time, no food or water, etc. In some cases, children are on medications that may be important for their well being as well. So many reasons to search wider areas than a mile or so.

I do believe that LE and the FBI did everything humanly possibly to find Maddox, but as you mentioned, we need to toss out the thought process that children can't or won't wander further than a mile or two. There's been enough cases to prove otherwise.

Very Insightful post.

To offer another perspective;

I think this can be individually based on each person's idea of what that title (in this case, Father) means or is based on individual feelings/emotions vs. their mental development or mental abilities or medical diagnosis of anything.

There are people who no longer consider themselves as having a specific title (mother, father, sister, brother, niece, nephew, cousin, etc) if there is a loss of the family member whose existence gave the person the title. I don't believe you have to be anything but neurotypical to feel as though, for example, that you once were, but are no longer a brother if you are a male who lost your only sibling.

Also, I'm not sure how to word this without being offensive, but I'm going to try my very best, because I feel it at least might deserve mentioning (no one else has said it yet though, so I am open to fully accepting that I may be very wrong here)
But, I noticed that some who are attempting to defend or at least give a possible explanation as to different things about the father (lack of emotion, lack of urgency, etc) are suggesting that he may also be on the Autism Spectrum as well. It may be worth considering that just as it is hurtful to point fingers at someone as being possibly guilty of something when LE hasn't named them as a POI, it may also perhaps be offensive to point out reasons you think someone is also on the spectrum when they haven't disclosed any information about their medical history in regards to being anything other than neurotypical.
Again, I'm willing to accept that I may be incorrect, and there are not any WS policies regarding this specifically (to my knowledge anyway) just felt it might be something to think about.....
(If mentioning this has offended someone, so my sincere apologies in advance)
I don't think it's offensive. It probably IS rude to scrutinize someone to look for signs of being neurologically different.

But I will say that being on the spectrum isn't a bad thing. To me it's not a put down to suggest. It's just a possible explanation for someone acting differently from what most would consider typical.

Yeah, the first interview I saw I watched very closely for signs just based on genetics. I didn't really see any, but his sort of less worried attitude had me wondering. I've said before, he just didn't seem to grasp the seriousness of the situation, but I am staunch in my opinion that he has done nothing wrong other than waiting too long to get help (which was actually the park employee, but you know what I mean).

I think a speech pathologist might have heard some signs, his speech is slightly monotone, but in general, in this case, the police might have asked the dad to run after a walk and see if his story makes sense.

One more consideration - some people are not wired to make fast decisions in the case of a catastrophe. (I think that in general, "worriers" are considered to be better wired to function in emergencies than "warriors", but the science behind it is too new.) But we know that some people can make rapid decisions, some are paralyzed in catastrophes.

Maybe dad simply lacks the ability to think fast and make fast decisions in unplanned situations? And Maddox running away was precisely this situation?

(And it is not offensive at all. Simply, some people are doers, some, planners).

Last edited:
I think a speech pathologist might have heard some signs, his speech is slightly monotone, and eye contact is not always absent, but in general, in this case, the police might have asked the dad to run.

One more consideration - some people are not wired to make fast decisions in the case of a catastrophe. (I think that in general, "worries" are considered to be better wired to function in emergencies than "warriors", but the science behind it is too new.) But we know that some people can make rapid decisions, some are paralyzed in catastrophes.
Maybe dad simply lacks the ability to think fast in unplanned situations? And Maddox running away was precisely this situation?
I'm not an act fast kind of person either. When one of mine fell in the pool, I was standing right there and before I could move my SIL was in the pool, fully dressed. And when one of them throws up? Forget it! I freeze for at least 10 seconds. I've cleaned a lot of carpets due to my slow action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn