GUILTY NC - Mebane, biracial Male Skeletal 437UMNC, 10-12, off I-40, Sep'98- Robert "Bobby" Adam Whitt

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has anyone been researching this and knows of anyone that would be included if the age range was widened? I'm going to start looking I think.

I'm getting kind of attached to this case in the couple of days that I've been seriously looking into it. I was 10 in 1998 and it just feels too close.

I always got the feeling he came from a upper middle class family.

Can they run his DNA though familial DNA programs? It seems it might be a good place to start. Everyone has that one felon in their family right? :waitasec:

I always got the feeling he came from a upper middle class family.

Can they run his DNA though familial DNA programs? It seems it might be a good place to start. Everyone has that one felon in their family right? :waitasec:

I just learned recently from David VanNorman (San Bernadino County, CA Coroner investigator) that you need more than one sample of familial nucDNA to get a nucDNA hit in CODIS, and the system won't even do the comparison if only a single Family Reference Sample is entered.

BTW, this does not apply to a mtDNA comparison to a maternal relative. As I understand it, a single sample from a maternal relative is sufficient for a mtDNA comparison.

However, I suspect that it is more complicated than that because as I recall, the Grim Sleeper suspect was captured based on a CODIS hit on a DNA sample submitted by his son.

The east coast rapist was just caught using this method as well. His uncle came back thought the system.

It's possible to run a familial DNA search on just one sample, but it usually takes quite a long time (I think in the Grim Sleeper case, it was three or four months to run it against all the possible databases, if I recall correctly) and costs quite a bit. And in some states there are privacy laws that prevent it. It can be done, but it's not something that most departments would undertake without likelihood of a result. It's not a "run it and let's see if anything comes back" situation.

I've always thought this boy was the son of illegal immigrants, possibly migrant workers heading south and/or back to their home country for the winter, who dressed him in new clothes and left the money for the burial. Or a case where the father killed the boy and the fearful mother secretly left him. Very sad to think about, no matter what happened.

The sealants on his teeth have me wondering. Sealants were not paid for by insurance where I live in 1997 and they were 115.00 a piece. I dont know anything about the practice of apply them of the cost in any other country ,much less state.

I will look up more about those later on today.

The sealants on his teeth have me wondering. Sealants were not paid for by insurance where I live in 1997 and they were 115.00 a piece. I dont know anything about the practice of apply them of the cost in any other country ,much less state.

I will look up more about those later on today.

That might be a productive direction to start looking. I know there are/have been several programs on the east coast that provide dental care (often including sealants, since they reduce costs down the road) for children who can't afford dental care. I've read about traveling clinics that visit migrant camps as well as permanent ones associated with the major dental schools.

He would have been around 10 yrs old in 1998

Travis Jay Zwieg

Travis Jay Zwieg
Missing since March 10, 1991 from Pinyon Pines, Riverside, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing / Lost

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 6, 1988
Age at Time of Disappearance: 3 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0"; 35 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: Red sweatshirt, blue jeans, gray socks, white Gerber brand tennis shoes with a blue stripe, Mickey Mouse jockey shorts
Dentals: Not available
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Zwieg was last seen in the hills above Palm Desert in California on March 10, 1991. He disappeared on a Sunday morning in the Santa Rosa Mountains community of Pinyon Pines.
His father had brought him to a concrete-block cabin to spend the weekend. Zwieg was playing with four dogs outside the cabin when he needed to go to the bathroom. His father took him into some bushes about 10:30 a.m., left him there, and went back to work on some saws. When Zwieg hadn't returned 10 minutes later, his father went looking for him. He couldn't find him.

More than 70 rescue workers searched for almost a week after Travis disappeared. Others searched from helicopters with infrared equipment to detect body heat. The last day, 100 inmates from county jails were brought in to search the hillsides before a fierce winter storm hit. The searchers found nothing. Temperatures dropped below freezing at night that week. The storm brought snow, hail and rain. After four nights, officials said he could not have survived. An aerial search two months later using infrared equipment again turned up nothing.

Law enforcement authorities explored the possibility of a kidnapping. They followed several tips that people had been seen with a boy matching Travis' description. None of the tips panned out. Zwieg's parents took lie detector tests and were cleared of any involvement in his disappearance.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/270dmca.html

Attachments

• North carolina 10 - 12 UID 2.jpg
    North carolina 10 - 12 UID 2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 22
  • North carolina 10 - 12 UID.jpg
    North carolina 10 - 12 UID.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Travis Zwieg.jpg
    Travis Zwieg.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 39
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3382dmpr.html

I know the stats. don't match up exactly with Louis listed as having black hair and being slightly smaller in size but what do you guys think as a possible?

Case File 3382DMPR

Right: Age-progressed to 18 years (circa 2006)

Luis Lopez Lugo
Missing since June 20, 1998 from Guayanilla, Puerto Rico
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: September 3, 1988
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'5" (135 cm); 90 lbs (41 kg)
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic male. Black hair; black eyes.
•Marks, Scars: He has a scar over his left eyebrow.
•Clothing: Blue shorts and a white shirt.
•AKA: Luis Guillermo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Luis was last seen on June 20, 1998 in Guayanilla, Puerto Rico.

NAMUS has more rule outs added since I last checked:

Michael Hughes
Danny Jackson
Jack Phillips

Just bumping this up....

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Scott Echols 1983 California
Michael Hughes 1988 Oklahoma
Danny Jackson 1977 Florida
Jimmy Morris 1983 North Carolina
Adam O'Brien 1982
Mitchell O'Brien 1991
Trevor O'Brien 1985
Jack Phillips 1986 California
Victor Shoemaker 1989 West Virginia

If you look at the photos of the shorts that he was wearing in Namus, they look to me to have korean characters? I looked up the name Piccore Kiki that is found on one of the tags and it mentions a Korean clothing company. The size information is also listed in characters. I wonder if these pants were bought in Korea.

Shaffer: Skeleton of young boy still unnamed, unclaimed after 15 years

ZAnOO.AuHeEm.156.jpeg

1qCgP1.AuSt.156.jpeg

Afternoon traffic on Industrial Drive, left, passes by the site of where a man mowing brush and grass under the advertising sign at center found the skeletal remains of a boy and notified authorities. The sign is just a few yards off I-85/40 in western Orange County.

But the worst thing about John’s case isn’t the manner of his death, which is sure to have been grisly. The most harrowing fact is that police don’t think anybody ever reported him missing.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/09/29/3240502/shaffer-skeleton-of-young-boy.html#storylink=cpy

8 years, 11 miles, 2 children

In 1990, the Orange County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina began investigating the tragic case of a woman found dead along Interstate 40 in Hillsborough. Eight years later, and 11 miles away, tragedy struck the I-40 corridor in Orange County again. On Sept. 25, 1998, a small boy was found on a service road in Mebane.

While law enforcement has no reason to believe these two cases are connected, they do highlight a heartbreaking type of case agencies across the country investigate every day, the identification of unknown child victims.

http://blog.missingkids.com/post/62806504042/8-years-11-miles-2-children

tumblr_inline_msz9m6Q1VX1qz4rgp.jpg

Reminds me of one of those situations where illegal parents owe a debt to a smuggler and do not pay it back. You'd be surprised how many hispanic kids are kidnapped over stuff like that and are never reported out of fear of deportation.

Regarding the sealants, my insurance began paying for them in the early 90s, by kids got them applied at 100% of the cost.

I see this most likely as a migrant child. He probably got the sealants through a dental program through a gvmt agency. We have so many Hispanics here. I can see one of their kids having new shoes from Wal~Mart, who sold that brand, then his clothes came from a thrift store. Our local thrift stores get a lot of business from these folks. That would explain him wearing possibly high end clothing and discount store shoes.

Not that it is a very scientific method but my 10 year old who is in the 3rd percentile for height and weight wears a Tae Kwon Do uniform that is a 140. If the 150 listed is actually a korean size label (which makes sense since the clothing brand is a Korean company). It would be for a very small 10 to 12 year old. Obviously they have a reason to believe that is the age range but a 10 year old but it still is a very small child for that age. A number of the Korean churches by me to have ministries to hispanic migrant workers in NC so if the child is in fact hispanic, that is another way he could have ended up in shorts that were made in/labeled in Korean sizing.
I just wish there was a way to figure out how he ended up in those shorts since it is not like there are tons of stores in NC carrying clothing brands from Korea

Is this area near a military base? That could explain Korean clothing donated to a thrift store by a military family stained in Korea. Is it possible the boy was Korean?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lisacfuller
Back