NC NC - Sara Graham, 18, Fairmont, 4 February 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you; I read that. I've read about the situation before. I think it had a profound effect on the department and the community. The effect is probably residual to some extent. Some have moved on others are still doubtful. When you have a crime of this magnitude involving a deputy it's bound to have some effect, perceived or otherwise, on that investigation. In the long run the best way to remedy the situation is for investigations to be effective. This one seems to be lacking. Maybe that's just perception which may be helped by more and better reporting.
This was not just A deputy this was MORE.
Britt asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into the matter, marking the beginning of the largest investigation of police corruption in state history - Operation Tarnished Badge.

In all, 22 lawmen, including former Sheriff Glenn Maynor, were charged with crimes, including pirating satellite television signals, kidnapping, perjury, drug trafficking, armed robbery and money laundering. Three former deputies remain in prison.

The investigation is not over, said Mark Brewington, the SBI's special agent in charge. Civil lawsuits and appeals are pending, he said, and the deep scars left by Tarnished Badge have yet to completely heal.

"I believe any time you have any type of bad situation that leads to an investigation, it affects everyone involved," Brewington said. "It affects the community, the agency and the criminal justice system as a whole. There is a lasting effect."

Here's the thing, to me:

- Something more has to be known about that morning if they were all leaving around the same time. Yet, no description of clothes, etc.
- Something more has to be known about the car. No description of any evidence found nor any requests to the public directly relating to evidence found in the van
- Her mom and brother aren't speaking out. Why not?
- Why has no one described this girl's habits? Assuming they think she may be a runaway (and they have checked other states/friends and gotten the FBI involved!), why not talk about the places she likes/frequents. Does she have a coffee obsession and might be spotted at a Starbucks? Does she love Sonic's crushed ice? Come on, SOMETHING about her routine has to be a piece of the puzzle of where a runaway Sara could be spotted!

Yet we still know nothing about her. I think they must know what happened to her at this point and are just waiting to get enough evidence. And we have no idea what her relationship was like with her stepmom and dad, because the only people who have answered are people who asked the stepmom and father directly -- kind of self serving there, if we wanted unbiased info.

Here's the thing, to me:

- Something more has to be known about that morning if they were all leaving around the same time. Yet, no description of clothes, etc.
- Something more has to be known about the car. No description of any evidence found nor any requests to the public directly relating to evidence found in the van
- Why has no one described this girl's habits? Assuming they think she may be a runaway (and they have checked other states/friends and gotten the FBI involved!), why not talk about the places she likes/frequents. Does she have a coffee obsession and might be spotted at a Starbucks? Does she love Sonic's crushed ice? Come on, SOMETHING about her routine has to be a piece of the puzzle of where a runaway Sara could be spotted!

Yet we still know nothing about her. I think they must know what happened to her at this point and are just waiting to get enough evidence. And we have no idea what her relationship was like with her stepmom and dad, because the only people who have answered are people who asked the stepmom and father directly -- kind of self serving there, if we wanted unbiased info.

This is good stuff granola. I only wish you hadn't waited until 1:30 AM to write this. But better ... than never. LOL I'm just not sure of the part BBM. We may have to agree to disagree for now.

The sun will come up tomorrow and I want to take another look at this then. Thank you.

This is good stuff granola. I only wish you hadn't waited until 1:30 AM to write this. But better ... than never. LOL I'm just not sure of the part BBM. We may have to agree to disagree for now.

The sun will come up tomorrow and I want to take another look at this then. Thank you.

Aw, it was only 11:30 here when I wrote that, I hate being in the time zone behind everyone on the East Coast. And that statement was just me being hopeful that someone knows where she is. Sigh.

Here's the thing, to me:

Maybe all she did was go to work and then come home!

O/T

Somebody really wants to be clean and smell good if it is the same person doing the stealing.

"three perfume sets, valued at a total of $357, were stolen from Belk on North Elm Street in Lumberton, according to a police report."
http://www.robesonian.com/news/blotter/151969757/Crime-report

"$100 worth of body wash was stolen from CVS on West Fifth Street in Lumberton, according to a police report."
http://www.robesonian.com/news/besonian.com/news/blotter/151969757/blotter/152010879/Crime-report

Apparently people resell stolen brand name toiletries and things like laundry detergent to sketchy stores/individuals, often like drug currency.

Maybe all she did was go to work and then come home!

Maybe it was a matter of awareness. No one was aware of what she did, no one was aware of what route she took to work, no one thought about her whereabouts until 12:15 that afternoon, 5 hours later when an empty van was found and had not spoken to or texted her apparently. No one even knew what she was wearing to work. It has not been reported that anyone actually saw her leave for work.

Maybe it was a matter of awareness. No one was aware of what she did, no one was aware of what route she took to work, no one thought about her whereabouts until 12:15 that afternoon, 5 hours later when an empty van was found and had not spoken to or texted her apparently. No one even knew what she was wearing to work. It has not been reported that anyone actually saw her leave for work.

Well If u don't ride to or from work with a person you wont know.
I take different roads to work depending on if I need gas or if I have to stop somewhere.
I have a destination and so many roads to get there.

Its very possible no one was aware of anything she did, because she didn't do much of anything!

I thought it was said her family saw her leaving? Yes or no?

Work dosent call your parents if u don't show up. You get a no call no show.
And I think 5 hours to be reported missing is QUICK.

She is 18.
Maybe she wasn't happy there and just took off.

Why should someone know what she had on.
My kids get up and leave I don't always know what they wear.
Esp early in the am.

Walmart has a sort of uniform if im not mistaken.

Here's the thing, to me:

Since all the family members left the house around the same time, I wonder if LE investigated through local surveillance cameras or phone pings which routes each individual family member took that morning.

Does anyone travel a similar route as Sara does? Or are their workplaces in different directions?

I also had another question. Is corruption still being investigated there?

In reply to simlyme from last night.

Yes it was a widespread problem considered massive. I believe the largest of it's type in United States. I would agree with you there will be lasting effects for a long time. The police will try to say it's all over. Those are normal reactions but not necessarily healthy.

Supposedly a lot of work has gone into making internal changes that will allow the Police Department to function more effectively. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but this particular investigation just doesn't look very well-designed.

I know she left TX because her mom moved to CA, retired from the military I think.

(Edit to add: As EmmaRose and others mentioned earlier....)

And moreover, why didn't she go to Cali with her bio mom when mom left Tx? Cal seems like a draw for a teen. Nothing against NC at all, but for a teen... maybe not that many things to do in that particular town? So why choose NC unless there is a relationship issue as opposed to a state/location issue? These things matter, but how can we know unless she told a friend; and then we have to rely on the notion that she actually told the friend her real feelings. I'm not feeling that she ran off willingly. I wish and I hope...

Also, as someone said, and I agree, if folks are directly asking bio dad and step mom if they had a happy family life with Sara... um.... probably the answer will be yes. Iow, maybe the answer is indeed yes from dad and step mom's perspective, but Sara could have felt differently. Still it wouldn't shock me if the parents painted a rose colored family life even if it clearly was not.

Something is super fishy. Im just not totally certain at this point from which direction the fishy is coming.

I watched that video three days and my 'hinky meter' went off but we are victim friendly, so that's all I'm going to say about that. :silenced:

I wouldn't rule out suicide. She could have walked for any amount of time and had pills/box cutter/rope/anything small. I also didn't see anything hinky? Must have missed seeing what you all saw. I would imagine they can get an idea of the height of the person who drove the van last at least. Abduction makes no sense to me. I wouldn't expect the van door to be locked, no sign of struggle, and no body. If it was an abduction it seems a lot easier to abduct someone walking rather than driving. If you did manage to get them to pull over then why not rape/kill them at that location, seems deserted enough. Plus it puts the perp in danger of being seen if they pulled to the side of the road in their own vehicle and waited for an off-chance of someone driving by that would stop - and be a young female. Just not really making sense. But probably why it is hard to solve, nothing is really making sense.

I also could imagine it has been a quiet investigation because didn't someone say it is a high crime area? The police force may not have enough detectives to go around. Or they suspect runaway or suicide. So I guess anything is still likely at this point. There just isn't enough to go on yet.

Reported Feb. 11, 2015
Sara's dad became emotional Wednesday morning when he saw the number of people willing to help [search] "It just restores my faith in humanity I guess you could say," Mr. Graham said.

He said the community outreach has been refreshing but this past week has been extremely long for him and his family. "A week without any information is hard so it's just been a hard week."

But even without any real answers Graham still hopes for the best. "There's a possibility still there, I mean, and with time that possibility slenders a little more and a little more but it's not out of reach or out of context either.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/28082611/200-volunteers-assist-deputies-in-missing-nc-teen-search

Reported Feb. 11, 2015
Sara's dad became emotional Wednesday morning when he saw the number of people willing to help [search] "It just restores my faith in humanity I guess you could say," Mr. Graham said.

He said the community outreach has been refreshing but this past week has been extremely long for him and his family. "A week without any information is hard so it's just been a hard week."

But even without any real answers Graham still hopes for the best. "There's a possibility still there, I mean, and with time that possibility slenders a little more and a little more but it's not out of reach or out of context either.

http://www.wbtw.com/story/28082611/200-volunteers-assist-deputies-in-missing-nc-teen-search

Mr. Graham's comments are interesting because I guess you could say even two weeks later I still feel the same way as what he describes. We just know practically nothing, nothing more than we did then. Yet I still want to hope that she'll be found safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8