NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Fayetteville, 10 Nov 2009 - Allegedly sold by mother #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shaniya Davis' Aunt Lashes Out at System
Carey Lockhart-Davis Says It's "Disgusting" That 5-Year-Old's Alleged Killer Gets Cared for By State

(CBS/AP) A day after laying Shaniya Davis to rest, the 5-year-old girl's aunt blasted the justice system for providing her alleged rapist and murderer with a better quality of life than many Americans have.

"We have a lot of people … [who have] lost their jobs, who don't have health care, even children that are in homes don't get three square meals a day. But this man sits with guards protecting him, he's receiving free medical, free meals," Carey Lockhart-Davis said on CBS' "The Early Show" Monday

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/23/national/main5747004.shtml

We only know what was stated in the newspaper. We have not heard this directly from the aunt during any TV/ media interview.

Thanks, Patty G.

Yes, it was in the Charlotte Observer. Carey was quoted as saying it.

http.//charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1060111.html

***Sorry, the link doesn't seem to work, but it was in the Charlotte Observer.

Carey Lockhart-Davis Says It's "Disgusting" That 5-Year-Old's Alleged Killer Gets Cared for By State

(CBS/AP) A day after laying Shaniya Davis to rest, the 5-year-old girl's aunt blasted the justice system for providing her alleged rapist and murderer with a better quality of life than many Americans have.

"We have a lot of people … [who have] lost their jobs, who don't have health care, even children that are in homes don't get three square meals a day. But this man sits with guards protecting him, he's receiving free medical, free meals," Carey Lockhart-Davis said on CBS' "The Early Show" Monday

It's not like he's special. Our criminal justice system has always been like that. It's the American Way.

I did not post yesterday because I knew it would be a highly emotional day and there were bound to be conflicts among the posts. I did not post on the day of Caylee's memorial for the same reasons. I knew I would have nothing good to say, so I said nothing. Just reading yesterday made my temper flare a little bit because some seemed to chastise others. I may not agree with the majority but I do not chastise them for their beliefs.

I saw the Amber alert just after noon time when it came out. From the first day, I have felt Shaniya's disappearance could have been prevented. Then the more I saw and heard of all involved, the more I resented everyone in Shaniya's life.

My sympathy is, and always will be, with Shaniya and no one else. Babies and children are not 'things' you pawn off to someone else. The moment AD told Aunt Carey she would never see Shaniya again was the moment she should have called LE and even DSS, IMO. BL should have insisted on it. Show LE the pics of Shaniya and her room at the Dad's house. Have them go over and speak with AD. Shaniya may not have been brought right back to the Dad's home, but may not have been left in that filth and squalor either. At least she would have been safe and AD would not have dared let anything happen to her if she was left there.

I am not looking at this case with raw emotion for anyone except Shaniya. No one else is the victim here. There is more truth to come out. AD probably played the system here and was getting all kinds of assistance for Shaniya although she was not living in her home. We will eventually know so much more.

I cannot bear to look at BL or even Aunt Carey. That is just me. As for so many saying that none of the other family and friends even bothered to call DSS over the cigarette burns on Shaniya - how in this world can you possibly know they did not? We don't.

LE is not looking at the facts of this case with emotion. They cannot afford to and shouldn't. I think LE does experience the emotions when they go home at the end of the day, but on the job they have to remain professional.

I am so thankful that LE has AD and MAM in custody. If I were to say how I honestly feel about these two evil monsters, I would be banned for life. May they both burn in he!!.

I am looking forward to finding out who actually took Shaniya out of school. Was it Aunt Carey? May have been. But why? If TY had been taking care of Shaniya for so long, then how is it that Aunt Carey says she raised her? I will stop now, but I have strong doubts about her as well. How many pics have we seen of Shaniya and Aunt Carey? I have seen none.

Last post for a while. I mainly have gotten to where I just read here everyday. I thank the posts I agree with and just go on to the next one. Again, my sympathy and heartbreak are for Shaniya and no one else.

MOO

You are such a wonderful voice of reason. I agree whole-heartedly with your post. Thank you for seeing through the subtrafuge and telling it like you see it.

I'm not sure what the aunt wants the "criminal justice" system to do "shoot him" before he goes to trial?

All of us have sinned, all of us have made mistakes, all of us have made choices we later regretted. I'm a parent, and I try to do my best in raising my children but I have made mistakes. In fact i have never met a parent who could honestly tell me that they have never made a mistake in raising their children. BL is not perfect either, but none of us knows his intentions when he let Shaniya go to live with AD. Maybe he had no choice, we don't know why he made the choices he did. But what I do know is that none of us is without our own faults and I don't think that people have the right to throw stones at BL. In fact, I would bet that if BL is second guessing all of the choices he made and blaming himself more than anyone else is.

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 Do not judge, or you too will be judged. Matthew 7:1 "Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37

I know that everyone wants justice for Shaniya, I do too. We have a legal system in place that will give justice to Shaniya and we should let that system work. I don't think that there is really any way this injustice can ever be righted on earth, for that we will have to await the day of judgment.

BL has not been charged with any crimes and I think that we need to refrain from casting moral judgment and blame on him. We should let BL and his family grieve and deal with this horrific tragedy that has faced them. This family has seen so much tragedy already, they are broken and in need of support. Who are we to pick apart his life and judge his every action or inaction, and decision he has made? If your life was being scrutinized by this group and at the same level his is, would your every decision or action in your life pass judgment?

I have ALWAYS known where my child was going and with whom.

I am outraged too. :furious:

Thanks for the info... Here's another quote from that article that makes me really sad for Shaniya - reminds me of Somer's family rearranging the house/bedroom so it wouldn't remind them of little Somer:

Lockhart-Davis said she's had to take down pictures of her niece because the reminders are too difficult for her and her family to bear.

I'm not sure what the aunt wants the "criminal justice" system to do "shoot him" before he goes to trial?

You sure have a point...but the system has let people like him and Garrido walk :furious:
Maybe when someone is that despicable we should just take out the needle and get it over with, we should use the money to hire more LE which IMHO based on so many cases WE DO NEED; so we can protect the others.

I realize that for someone (ME) who is totaly about what is "Fair" this is not making any sense at all.

I apologize in advance...I haven't been able to get here all weekend.

Does anyone know what evidence there is that mom sold her? Has any new information come out about that?

Not sure that it really matters much, but has Aunt Carey ever claimed she raised Shaniya or has this been an assumption made by the media? From what I gathered AD raised Shaniya for her first year then gave her to BL. Carey mentioned Ty caring for her at the service. It sounds to me that she was there over the years to care for her when she was needed.

McNeill appears to have been treated with leniency for years by an overburdened court system.

On June 17, 2001, court documents show, McNeill shot Roland Lee Mays in the face, neck, shoulder, chest and stomach. The records indicate that McNeill injured two other people that day, as well. He was charged with multiple counts of assault inflicting serious bodily injury.

A year later, apparently while awaiting trial in the shootings, McNeill was charged with possessing marijuana and trying to manufacture and sell it.

The charges from the two cases were consolidated, records show, and McNeill was allowed to plead guilty to lesser counts. He was sentenced to 40 to 50 months of supervised probation in June 2003, the records show.

Two months later, in August 2003, McNeill violated terms of his probation by failing to notify probation officers of his whereabouts. He was sent to prison. Records show that he entered the prison system in October 2003 and was released in May 2006.

Three months after his release, records show, McNeill was charged with possession with intent to sell marijuana and cocaine and with maintaining a vehicle for drug use.

The records show that McNeill pleaded guilty to reduced charges - a misdemeanor offense of maintaining a vehicle for drug use - and again was placed on supervised probation, on Jan. 1, 2007.

As part of the plea deal, District Court Judge Kim Tucker told McNeill that he could go on unsupervised probation if he tested negative for drugs three consecutive times, records show.

While still on supervised probation, McNeill was charged in April 2007 with possessing cocaine, records show.

He was charged again in September 2007 - this time with hitting Fayetteville police officer R. Grimm with his vehicle while trying to flee from the corner of Bragg Boulevard and Ames Street. Records indicate Grimm was injured, but they don't say how badly. McNeill was charged that day with trying to elude arrest, reckless driving and assault on a government official.

Two months later - on Nov. 30, 2007 - Superior Court Judge Jack Thompson allowed McNeill's probation status to be changed from supervised to unsupervised, records show.

Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, was on unsupervised probation when police say he kidnapped 5-year-old Shaniya on Nov. 10. He is accused of raping and killing her the same day.

http://fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/11/18/953074

I bet his juvie record would shock us all. I don't see how this guy could've been good all the way up until he turns 21. Then he shoots people. I don't buy it. Bet there is more...we may never know though.

Although I can pick apart the statement the aunt made regarding "Mario being protected, three square meals, etc., etc.", all that I can think of is "Shaniya" and was there concern for her protection and three square meals.

Though it doesn't seem right. If it was one of my family members and they were wrongly accused I would want the state to protect them the best they can. I'm not saying this guy is wrongly accused, and I'm not saying our system is perfect. There are people who are wrongly accused look at Coe. Could you imagine them putting him in general population being accused of child kidnapping? JMO

My problem with the system is when you go to trial the perp has more rights than the victim. The victim can be drug through the mud to defend the perp.

Just curious how do we know what the teachers may have said? Unless I missed that part...
They may be holding info close to the vest, or maybe the teachers said they never saw anything....
and do not know. Just saying...
I do not think kids continuously walk into cigarettes...
but I do think they are trained by abusers to lie. But I do think that an autopsy will have some
of those answers.

I have not seen confirmation that teachers reported no signs of abuse but as mandated reporters I think it is being assumed that were there any signs, teachers would be legally bound to report it and as no such reports have come to light it can be reasonably safely assumed such reports probably do not exist.

We know he hadn't seen her in 5 weeks, correct?
We know Aunt Carey hadn't seen her in 5 weeks, correct?
We know Shaniya was enrolled in school before going to her mother's. To our knowledge, from pictures and lack of reports from teachers, she was not abused. So, how would any abuse obtained in that 5 week period be BL's fault? Please explain that to me.

Sustained abuse....long running. More than the 5 weeks that she was there full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peachstatesleuth