NC - Skyler Wilson Died of Hypoxic Brain Injury From “Swaddling” by Adoptive Parents Joseph & Jodi Wilson - Mount Airy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thursday, February 2, 2023
Monday, March 6, 2023
Monday, May 1, 2023
Monday, July 17, 2023
Monday, September 25, 2023

Monday, November 27, 2023

With about 2 weeks until that 9/25/23 scheduled court appearance, there's been yet another delay (for the 5th time)... I am not sure what the exact reason(s) is (are) for the continued delays, but my hope is that the court will eventually grow tired of seeing this case continually pushed back. It's my understanding that as of August, both Jodi and Joe had obtained legal representation (Joe much quicker than Jodi), but who knows if one or both of them decided to seek new representation again. Either way, at the current rate and pattern of delays, if there's yet another postponement after this, it's going to be over a year since Skyler's tragic death, and I just find that to be beyond frustrating, and I'm being kind by using the word "frustrating" there. I have been tempted to contact the Surry County Courthouse to inquire about the delays, but I'm not sure what good that would really do.
Hang in there. It's a marathon, not a sprint, waiting for things to come to trial. It's an extreme example, but I think the Nubia Barahona case is coming up on thirteen years, now, and still endless motion after endless motion and delay after delay. That's three years longer than she was alive. Her twin brother who survived (badly injured) is in his twenties, now.

MOO

Aug 19, 2023 Updated Aug 23, 2023
[...]

Since their arrest on Jan. 13 the pair have had multiple court dates and continuances, but no explanation has been provided. Previously scheduled appearances included Feb. 2, March 6, May 1, and July 17.

[...]

A former employee, Sherry Bowman, spoke about her knowledge of the case in February and said that she was told the delay in the trial may have been due to the Wilsons having difficulty finding representation.

According to court documents both are now represented by counsel — different counsel for each. Whether that means the cases have been separated or if the defendants simply wanted their own representation remains to be seen.

[...]

Skyler’s biological great-grandmother, Annalisa Johnston, said that the wheels of justice are moving painfully slow. “You can’t get any closures because it all just keeps going and going and going.”

This week, she said she had been in contact with Detective Mark Ward of the Surry County Sheriff’s Office who said the courts were still trying to make it through a COVID backlog. The sheriff’s office did not respond to a request for comment on that assertion, but Johnston said she was told, “It may be a while.”

[...]

Either yesterday or today, the court appearance for this case was delayed again -- the next scheduled court appearance is Monday, January 8, 2024. The wheels of justice continue to spin slowly.

Monday, March 6, 2023
Monday, May 1, 2023
Monday, July 17, 2023

Monday, January 8, 2024

Oxygen published a very comprehensive article on this case. I asked the mods, because I wasn't sure if it was an approved source, but I thought the article had great merit in shining light on this case. I received the green light to link.

I will say, I'm not going to excerpt or summarise, I'm just going to link, so that readers can choose whether to read or not. Whatever you thought about what Skyler went through... it's worse. It's so much worse. And if you don't want that in your head, it's understandable, just scroll on and consider lighting a candle, or saying a prayer, or just taking a moment of silence for what this precious child endured. That's all.

Adoptive Parents Charged With Murder After North Carolina Boy Dies During Supposed Exorcism | Oxygen Official Site
There are some people who really should not have children, adopted or otherwise--- but of course you can hardly say this in public----

Last edited:
Monday, March 6, 2023
Monday, May 1, 2023
Monday, July 17, 2023

With about 2 weeks until that 9/25/23 scheduled court appearance, there's been yet another delay (for the 5th time)... I am not sure what the exact reason(s) is (are) for the continued delays, but my hope is that the court will eventually grow tired of seeing this case continually pushed back. It's my understanding that as of August, both Jodi and Joe had obtained legal representation (Joe much quicker than Jodi), but who knows if one or both of them decided to seek new representation again. Either way, at the current rate and pattern of delays, if there's yet another postponement after this, it's going to be over a year since Skyler's tragic death, and I just find that to be beyond frustrating, and I'm being kind by using the word "frustrating" there. I have been tempted to contact the Surry County Courthouse to inquire about the delays, but I'm not sure what good that would really do.
Any updates on court dates?

Yep, I knew it..

Thomas was a part of Connell Watkins & Associates at the time Watkins killed Candace Newmaker. Thomas also had strong ties to the infamous Cascade Center for Family Growth (in Utah), which is now closed.

Thomas’s parenting methods are based on isolation, deprivation, humiliation, and being non-communicative with the child. She claims her methods are effective not only for treating children with “Reactive Attachment Disorder
Just read through that. So twisted and sick.. and founded in some sort of extremist fundamentalist christian cult that reflects throughout the concept. Read the paragraph about sexuality and others. Just absolutely sick. How on earth can parents follow that. I understand that small.children are challenging and adoptive kids may be even more so, but abuse and violence and shame are not educational tools that lead to healthy adults..also in this case proved to be deadly

Today is Jodi's birthday -- I mention this because it still amazes me how many people posting on her social media account are either a) completely clueless as to what's going on with her or b) even worse, know what's happened and are trying to console her as if she's the victim of this tragedy.

Sorry, it's just extremely difficult for me to see it that way given that:
- a child lost his life, and in such a horrible, helpless manner;
- she hid or declined to reveal the true nature of what she was doing to him from family and friends on social media;
- she was heard on her husband's 911 call saying, "It's my fault"
...just to name a few reasons.

I don't care how she tries to convince herself that she had the right intentions or that this is just the "Lord's way of testing what she can handle" (she has actually posted a message like that prior to Skyler's tragic passing), she wouldn't have hid from the public or been cryptic about the exorcisms, duct-taping/restraints, etc. if she didn't know it was at the very least controversial and would be frowned upon (likely an understatement) by a lot of people she knew.

Part of me understands that when you're close friends with someone that's involved in something like this, it could be potentially difficult to completely shun that person, but giving aid & comfort to them is a step beyond, something I'm not really able to wrap my head around. If she and her husbands are victims, they are victims of their own actions, actions that I think they knew were not appropriate. What I hope for Jodi in the year ahead and those to come after is for her to be fully accountable, remorseful, and to recognize that there was something fundamentally wrong with so many of her personal ideologies/beliefs. The same goes for Joe.

I'll continue to keep tabs on the court dates here, let's hope there aren't too many more delays in the legal proceedings moving forward.

I will add that I got in contact with a clerk from the criminal side of the Surry County Courthouse, and she unfortunately did not know of a reason for the continuances in this particular case, only stating that sometimes these continuances can last for years. Should this case continue to be pushed back several more months, I know I'll be tempted to follow up at a later date and ask how common that is for cases to be pushed back several years, particularly when each continuance pushes back things by about 2 months.

For those who also want to call to try to find out anything, the main number for the Surry County Courthouse is 336-386-3700. You'll want to hit the number "7" when you get the automated message, which will then connect you with a clerk who will ask you for the case number (23CRS209869 for Jodi Wilson and 23CRS209865 for Joe/Joseph Wilson), which should get you transferred over to the criminal side and another clerk to speak to.

Jodi and Joseph's next court appearance has been pushed back by 4+ months to Monday, July 15, 2024. This is the furthest back I've seen a continuance be in this case -- not holding my breath, but perhaps that date will finally be the one that sticks.

With the July 15th date coming up fairly soon, I'd been keeping tabs to see if any continuances were still going to occur. Had started to get my hopes up as I was still seeing July 15th still on the docket towards the end of June, but I decided to check again today... and I see it's been pushed back yet again. New date now is apparently January 13, 2025. January 13, 2023, is when Jodi and Joseph were first charged in Skyler's murder. Who knows, maybe that's just a coincidence, or maybe that will finally be the day that sticks. Either way, with the current political and legal landscape of things in this country, I think it's truly reprehensible how slowly our court systems "work" sometimes. As the saying goes, justice delayed is justice denied.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n_g0ddess
Back