GUILTY NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Timothy Hennis/Eastburn Murders case will be featured on ABC 20/20 Show this coming Friday Sept. 17th. Check your local TV listings.

I just watched the 20/20 show about Hennis, very good to know that justice was finally served!

OMG! I just watched this on 20/20 tonight, too. It was a horrible, horrible crime. Those poor babies! I teared up a couple of times while listening to the father and surviving daughter talk.

I am so glad justice was finally served.

I also just watched 20/20. I never heard about this case. I thought I saw every Lifetime movie there was, but I guess not.

This case is horrific. Killing those babies, what a monster. I think he killed them for only one reason, they could identify him. Maybe they could have said, it was the man who bought the dog?? IDK

Ill have to get the book.

The passing neighbor who helped with the composite sketch? That was so on. I mean it could have been a photo of Hennis.

Watching that little girl with the therapist holding those mug shots about killed me. Bless her and her dad.

What the show failed to mention was that a 19 year old named John Raupach who looked just like Hennis and the sketch walked by the Eastburn house during all times of the nights. When the jury saw him in the second trial (DA without him in first trial) they accquited Hennis.

What the show failed to mention was that a 19 year old named John Raupach who looked just like Hennis and the sketch walked by the Eastburn house during all times of the nights. When the jury saw him in the second trial (DA without him in first trial) they accquited Hennis.

You are correct, I am sure that led to the acquittal. BUT, the DNA from the sperm in her matched him 1 in a trillion or so and his defense in the third trial was that they had a consentual sexual relationship that evening, and he left her alive when he headed out.

(believe calls hennis several expletives here that would cause her a to.)

THANK GOD he was busted. It was not double j in my mind at all, and I commend the Army and the prosecutors for being so creative.

Hennis lawyer did not say that they for sure had consensual sex. What he said was, the defense believes that something is wrong with the DNA results; however, if the jury does believe the DNA results then there maybe another alternative; that is, adultery.

Hennis lawyer did not say that they for sure had consensual sex. What he said was, the defense believes that something is wrong with the DNA results; however, if the jury does believe the DNA results then there maybe another alternative; that is, adultery.

What I heard them say was that hennis (no capital h for this monster) claimed they were having a long term sexual affair.
What I did not like about trial number one and the appeal was that the Appeals Court granted the appeal because of the prejudicial manner in which the victims photos were projected right above the perps head.
I really hope the SA will not do anything like this when Caylee's case goes to trial.

IIRC from things I have read there was a lot of things not on 20/20 that where brought up at the 2nd trial. I read there was an empty condom wrapper found on the floor. Footprints found matched a size 9 shoe which Hennis was a size 12. The first lab tech. that check the rape kit back in 1985 found no sperm. Mr Hennis willingly gave his hair and DNA right after the crime. The eye witness that seen him that night had drug charges, dropped right after he testified against Hennis. I forget everything that was brought out, but it was a ton of stuff that really made me question if Mr. Hennis was the right man. I do know in this trial they would not let the defense test the DNA, which I feel is not fair. Very sad case, I feel for both families.

I appreciate the perspectives, but case closed to me. He was a lucky lucky man to have 20 years to experience his child, grand children and a long relationship with his wife.

The army was not so swayed by these prosecutors that they would have put themselves front and center trying a decorated member who was one of their own if they did not have sufficient evidence. They let Jeff McDonald OFF. Different decade, but these kinds of Article 32 hearings IIRC tend to err on the side of the soldier.

The defense wanted to find a way to place his sperm in her, and they did. Cross contamination? Nope, not buying that one either.

Sperm was found in the first trial. At least if you watched the 20/20. What got him a new trial was the fact that the photos were projected over his head. It was a stupid mistake, and understandably human given the crime scene. And one that would never be made again I am sure.

JMVHO.

What got him a new trial was the fact that the photos were projected over his head. It was a stupid mistake, and understandably human given the crime scene. And one that would never be made again I am sure.

Yes, I'll bet they never tried that one again. If they had not put on that horror show in such a graphic and leading manner Hennis's appeal may not have succeeded.

I'm not sure what to think about the Hennis case anymore, but I can't believe that he and Mrs Eastburn had consensual sex.

Say, is anyone going to bring out a new volume on the Hennis case? We only have the Whisnant book, which takes a pro-Hennis stance and been slammed for it. I think another is called for to have more balance.

Judge denies Hennis access to witnesses, SBI crime lab reports

FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan. - Lawyers for Timothy Hennis have been denied access to witnesses and files pertaining to the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation crime lab as they attempt to overturn the murder conviction for the former Fort Bragg soldier.

.......................................snip............................................

During this morning's hearing, Hennis' lawyers asked for files pertaining to the investigation of the SBI crime lab. They also wanted access to witnesses, specifically former SBI Director Robin Pendergraft and Nate Huff. Huff was a military prosecutor who has since left the Army. He served as a liaison between the SBI and prosecutors at Hennis' court-martial.

The SBI crime lab has come under scrutiny since Pendergraft told The Associated Press in February that the agency did not always automatically provide complete crime lab test results for use in trials.

Hennis' lawyers wanted to use those documents and witnesses to impeach the people who conducted the DNA tests that lead to his court-martial.

The court-martial was the third time Hennis was tried in the Eastburn murders.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/01/21/1064753?sac=Local

Take a look at this latest report on the case, over at http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/8986419/

And take a look at this excerpt from it!

FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan. &#8212; Attorneys for a former Fort Bragg soldier who is on death row in the killings of a mother and her two children say problems at North Carolina's crime lab should give him a new trial.

Jurors in the military trial might have changed their minds about convicting Timothy Hennis or sentencing him to death if defense attorneys were aware that a State Bureau of Investigation crime lab worker who testified was accused of writing misleading reports in other cases (my emphasis) according to The Fayetteville Observer, which had a reporter at a hearing Friday held at Fort Leavenworth where Hennis is imprisoned...Problems in the SBI lab surfaced shortly before Hennis' court-martial began and his attorneys didn't have time to digest them, said one of Hennis' lawyers, Lt. Col. Andrew Glass...A lab worker who testified about DNA evidence, Brenda Bissette Dew, was cited two dozens times in other cases for writing misleading reports. If Hennis' lawyers had known that, they would have tried to discredit her testimony, Glass said.

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/02/04/1068812?sac=Home

And an excerpt to get you started:

Timothy Hennis' trial record is now in the hands of Maj. Gen. Rodney Anderson, acting commanding general, a Fort Bragg spokeswoman said Friday.

Hennis' attempt at a new court-martial was denied late last month by a military judge, meaning his case now moves to Fort Bragg's commanding general for review.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back