NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct. 2010 #40

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is the dark area just to the left of the red and white radio tower, it doesn't look like a very big pond. Hopefully they will be able to get it drained quickly. Thanks for the link.
:seeya:

Oh heck your right it very well could be that one and it's much closer to the road than the other one. She or he would have had to drive to the one further to the right and someone could have seen them (headlights)

I'm banking on your guess!!

I feel soooo bad for the landlord. I really think that when all this is over, they will have to bulldoze the house to the ground. Not only would it probably take a lot to put it back into living condition, but the whole idea of who would really want to live there now. Being that it's immediately behind commercial property anyway, maybe the best thing would be if the house were taken down and the property used for a new business.

O/T but I've seen the expression "OH SNAP" used here on WS before and always wondered where it comes from. I can guess what it sort of means by how it is used, but I always feel like I'm missing something when I see it (like perhaps it came from a cartoon I have never watched or something! LOL!)

I remember hearing it in Just A Friend by BizMarkie (Loved that song). I was thinking they used it also on In Living Color...Remember the circle snap character.....

Arrest AB already! Make him talk too!!!

More tonight NG........HLN

the letter is odd.

The handwriting goes one way, then another.
I just can't believe she would be so foolish as to write to someone, especially someone she didn't know.
I would believe, if I didn't know, that this was written by a 15 year old or so. Certainly not by somone sitting in jail and worried about a potential murder rap hanging over them.
There is just something very odd about this letter to me.

I remember in high school, when we used to write LONG notes back and forth, some girls' handwriting would switch slant like this. Her natural handwriting probably slants back, she learned to compensate by angling her paper -- she and I are the same age, and we were taught to have forward slanting handwriting.

Overall this is just like a high school note, with the "I heart vampires" and "I gotta be me" stuff. But it totally fits what we know about EB from her MySpace. I'd be very very surprised if these are fake.

It sent chills down my spin when I read this part of the letter EB wrote. it is just about word for word CA said in jail while CA & GA were visiting her , CA fit of rage she tells her parents she has never been as mad as she is now... Just like CA, EB said I have told the cops everting I know what happened to Z. Another part: I have never been so angry over stuff as I am right now. Remember when CA said the same words to her parents?

I agree--it is very CA. But somehow it's even more mind-boggling when it comes from a 42-year-old!!!

JMO

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Christy+Rd,+Hudson,+Caldwell,+North+Carolina+28638&sll=41.640078,30.058594&sspn=100.211071,228.339844&ie=UTF8&cd=2&geocode=FXggIwIdr1Ql-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Christy+Rd,+Hudson,+Caldwell,+North+Carolina+28638&layer=t&t=h&ll=35.850496,-81.44128&spn=0.001587,0.004275&z=18

Hopefully this will work. If not zoom out from the Christie Rd & Ekert PL. If you move the map towards the left you will see the pond they are draining. Make sure Ekert Pl (road is in the middle of your screen). It's in a grove of trees.

Okay, I think I finally see it. Near some sort of red tower or something, right? Looks like a small pond.

I'm still trying to catch up but...WTF?! Seriously?! How do we know about this poster? Someone caught it in a screen shot or something?

"He climbed into the Dodge Dakota he’d arrived in. A missing child poster was taped to the truck’s rear window. The poster is identical to others posted around Hickory and gives Zahra’s physical description. It states, “Zahra has been abused daily by her mother; who is now in jail and is a suspect in her disappearance.”"

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/03/crowd-taunts-baker-evicted-ar-505700/

I'd like to see it for myself, though. Makes me wonder how many people sat by and did nothing while Zahra was being abused, especially if this IS a relatives truck.

When I grow up.......I want to be a vampire!

WHAT A WEIRDO!!!!!!!!!!!

Here you go. I circled the pond in red.

s6rep4.jpg

So we have no official info on why they are draining this pond other than its proximaty to the area where Zahra's prosthetic was found correct?

"He climbed into the Dodge Dakota he’d arrived in. A missing child poster was taped to the truck’s rear window. The poster is identical to others posted around Hickory and gives Zahra’s physical description. It states, “Zahra has been abused daily by her mother; who is now in jail and is a suspect in her disappearance.”"

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2010/nov/03/crowd-taunts-baker-evicted-ar-505700/

I'd like to see it for myself, though. Makes me wonder how many people sat by and did nothing while Zahra was being abused, especially if this IS a relatives truck.

I'd sure like to know who's responsible for these posters. :furious:

OT-OT-OT
JMO....
I work with people who have been in jail, and those who are perhaps going.
1) Not all people who get jail time deserve it. Hate to say that in many cases, a court appointed attorney will advise them to take a plea agreement or 'deal' so they don't have to go through the hassle and expense of a trial. That includes if the person isn't guilty, either.

2) I believe part of the problem is that many who probably would have in the past been in mental health facilities are now let out til they offend. I'm not saying anyone with a mental health issue belongs in jail, or in a mental health facility, but many people with serious issues that could cause harm to another are walking around out there.

3) There are pleny of people in jail for low level offenses who would be better off learning a trade, learning role modeling, etc so they wouldn't go on to bigger and better crimes.
4) There are people who do 'get better', get out of jail, and become productive members of the community. I think it's a rare occasion when you hit someone who truly can't be rehabilitated.

JMO...someone who delieberately kills a child is very very disturbled and I feel should recieve psychiatric care and careful study, so we can learn why someone does these horrid things, learn from them so maybe we can somehow prevent it from happening again.

I believe that EB is a very disturbed person, and if she killed this child, she certainly should face justice. That said, we don't right now know who did this...it probably is EB, all points to her,and possibly AB. That said, we don't know.

I wonder why this guy she wrote to...if this is her letter....didn't hold back, or speak with the police about it...as maybe if he had been able to continue dialogue with her she might have stepped further along the path needed.

Sorry for ranting. It's just that I work with many people for whom the CJ system is very hard on, and not always with good reason.

Off my soapbox now.

originally posted by snowangels:

I know. I feel the same way, we all do. I find Websleuths more of a support group than anything, as opposed to it being a way to sleuth.

What I never understand is why beautiful, smart, loving, deserving, innocent children (oh gee, that means all of them, lol) end up with complete trash for parents/gaurdians. I guess it's the whole "why do bad things happen to good people" discussion that plauges our society.

The other thing I don't understand is how *&^%ed our justice system is. Treating the criminals like victims. Letting monsters back onto the streets to hurt again and again. Time after time, I read comments from total strangers, average citizens, at the end of crime articles, and they almost ALL call for the death of the perp. They almost all want the DP. They all want justice for these scumbags, who they know will re-offend. Yet, our corrupt justice system sees it differently.

Big hug to everyone :grouphug: for getting through the tough cases, the tragic stories. And those who have stories of their own :(

LOL! I should have just waited for you to find it and post this. I had to follow all of Christy Rd. just to find Ekard Pl.

Oh I had a link in my post but I think you replied to the post with out it.

I have to say the other day I was outside with my laptop and as I scrolled down your elephant was jumping up and down and I took a swat at my screen thinking it was a bug. :lol:

My laptop dims when I remove it from the wall plug-in. :crazy:

A search team returned Wednesday to the site where Zahra Baker’s prosthetic leg was found last week.
• VIDEO: Searchers Return To Christie Road
• MAP: Christie Road
• SLIDESHOW: Searchers Return To Site Where Prosthetic Was Found
Investigators blocked off Christie Road in Caldwell County, east of Hudson, at about 10 a.m. They’re doing a line search, cutting through brush and looking along an approximately 1 and 1/2-mile stretch of the road. Investigators are searching wooded areas on both sides of the road.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25621566/detail.html

---------------

A friend of Elisa Baker spoke with NewsChannel 36 Wednesday morning and says she received a letter from Elisa on Monday.
In that letter, Elisa said Adam Baker had nothing to do with Zahra’s disappearance. She did not mention whether or not she was involved.
Both friends and relatives of Elisa Baker say that she often made things up and the friend who received the letter on Monday says she isn’t sure what to believe.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/zahra-baker/Hickory-PD-draining-pond-in-Zahra-search-106620584.html

--------------------

As the nearly month-long search for missing 10-year-old Zahra Baker continued today, authorities were draining a Caldwell County pond in an area where they recently found a key piece of evidence.

Investigators looked for clues in a pond near Christie Road, Hickory Police Deputy Chief Clyde Deal said. Deal said police were draining the pond because "we want to be thorough."

The pond is in the vicinity of a brushy area where search crews last week found a prosthetic leg that police say belongs to Zahra.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/03/1809071/police-look-for-zahra-in-pond.html#ixzz14F66Ph9K

Another pond being drained...sigh. I can't believe the amount of time and money it is costing in this search when the person with all the answers is sitting in jail trying to start a new romance via the mail.

MOO

That's exactly what she is trying to do. This woman seems to know how to scheme to survive no matter what. She realizes that her support system on the outside is gone so she quickly looks for another potential mate (send pictures, are you married? I have no place to go when I get out), who can take care of her. Assuming the letters are hers, of course.

Hello,

I just want to say with the events unfolding in this case, I simply cannot believe the degree of atrocity to which what seems to have happened to this little girl. It is so hard to accept the fact that life could be so cruel. So cruel. This little girl beat cancer TWICE. She lost her leg and hearing. Yet, she seems so full of life. What an inspiration to us all. She should have been giving presentations to schools full of elementary-age children around the world, a spokesperson of a charity, a symbol of determination and having the gumption to 'beat the odds'. Yet, look what seems to have happened to her. At the hands of two seemingly extraoardinary immature, selfish, directionless individuals who called themselves her 'parents'.

I cannot get over this...the horror of it all in incomprehensible.

I'm so with you. I feel guilty stating how much this case has struck me due to the vibrancy of Zahra and her pluck in already surviving death twice. Because every child is precious and worthy. But because of who Zahra is and what she went through, this case is really, really getting to me. The atrocity is unfathomable.

Regarding these letters, if really from EB, I would think her lawyers regret
putting money in her account so she could write letters. If so, how dumb is that? Why would they want to chance EB talking? And boy has she. "We didn't really kill her" How does one not really kill someone? Did they just kind of kill Zahra? Maybe she means she beat her half to death and they sat back and allowed her to die. Perhaps she considers that not really killing Zahra. I was also struck by the phrase: "I didn't think it would be like this." Wow. I guess she did not expect all the negative reaction to the murder of an innocent cancer survivor. Just what did she expect? Applause?
And the evil and apathy in EB's wondering if things would be different had Zahra not been a cancer survivor with a cute accent. My gosh. I can sense her seething anger at Zahra for being too precious, too amazing and causing poor EB to be so hated as a result. What does she think? That had Zahra been an average precious kid the public would not care? I think so much can be understood about EB's personality and morality from that phrase. IMO, she's twisted. I need to ponder the message behind that a bit more. She's obviously not crazy but her view of the world as can be gleaned from these letters is very skewed. Seeming to feel nothing for others, she is hard-pressed to understand the outcry about what she did to one poor, darling child.

So we have no official info on why they are draining this pond other than its proximaty to the area where Zahra's prosthetic was found correct?

only LE quote I have been able to find on the topic:

Investigators looked for clues in a pond near Christie Road, Hickory Police Deputy Chief Clyde Deal said. Deal said police were draining the pond because "we want to be thorough."

The pond is in the vicinity of a brushy area where search crews last week found a prosthetic leg that police say belongs to Zahra.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/11/03/1809071/police-look-for-zahra-in-pond.html#ixzz14F66Ph9K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz