NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's tragic - this little girl survived bone cancer, lung cancer, the loss of her hearing and the loss of her leg.

The one thing Zahra couldn't survive was Elesa Baker.

Burke County Sheriff John McDevitt said Tuesday and Wednesday's intensive search off Hartland Road would last until investigators find what they are looking for or rule out the area. This search represents the fourth day investigators visited the property.
McDevitt said approximately 50 investigators were on scene, watching as a backhoe clears brush.
The land searched belongs to the family of a foreman at the tree trimming company where Zahra's father Adam works. It is an area where mulch, wood chips, and heavy equipment is stored. Bobby Green, a former employee of the company, says Baker would have had access there.
"There’s a lot of places to get rid of somebody over here. I hope not, but this the most cohorted effort that I’ve seen in the search so far," Green said.
Alvin Webb, who lives next door, told NewsChannel 36 a deputy told him a cadaver dog smelled human remains on a mulch pile and on a wood chipper on the property. McDevitt said Tuesday night there have been "many hits" but none that he would call conclusive.
McDevitt confirmed that Adam Baker was on site with investigators. He characterized his behavior as "not exactly cooperative," adding that, in his opinion, Baker is not being truthful.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Police-searching--104818544.html

~I don't know where to begin to get my thoughts down in a rational, readable, intelligent way, so I am just going to type what I feel at the moment. I have been battling a cold and have taken Nyquil the last two nights trying to ward it off. It is 3:33 in the morning where I am and I have been struggling and wrestling these thoughts for the last hour. The only thing I think will help is to pray (already did/tried that) and write it down. I hope there are some of you out there that can share in my feelings.~

Oh beautiful Zahra, how the world has failed you, you little fighter. Just from the pictures I have seen from your beautiful face with freckles, crooked teeth, absolutely beautiful smile, I have a hard time trying to fathom the Hell you must of faced on a daily basis but you still kept your bright spirit. The horror of what seems to have become of you has hit me like a ton of bricks. Jonbenet, Caylee, Adji, Haylee, Gabriel, Kyron, and so many others have touched me too, but not like you. You are a local girl. You attended the same elementary school I attended over 25 years ago. You lived in the same community I live in. But I didn't get the blessing of meeting you in person and for that I am sorry.

I wonder if our paths had crossed would I have known the torture you were going through. Would I have done something about it? I believe I would. Would I have insisted that DSS check it out and make sure you were removed from that environment? I think I would of insisted a little, but when they would of told me to "butt out" I probably would have since I don't like to "rock the boat". That grieves me so to make that realization. Then and there is where you were failed. Why don't the adults in this world stand up for what is right and make change happen? Why do we let ourselves get "bullied" around and make ourselves forget the horrors abused children go through? Why doesn't the government take these things seriously and make sure this never happens again? I am so guilty of becoming complacent on these things when the news stops. I push it back in my mind and slowly forget what happened and go on about my normal routine. I have a safe cocoon and don't have to worry about it cause it doesn't affect me or my tidy little world. Well guess what, this time it has. This crap happened in "my" community and I can't believe it.

Why is there not something we can do to make The Ramsey's, Casey Anthony, Adji's tormentors, Haylee's Father and so-called step-mom, Kyron's step-mom, Elizabeth (Gabriel's mom and the people who wanted to adopt him), the little girl who was kidnapped and raped by a gang member last weeks tormentors, and so on......... talk and tell us what in the Hell they did to these children? Why do we just lock them up and throw away the key? That isn't stopping others from doing the same thing. Just look at that list.......It keeps growing everyday. There are others we have no idea about. There will be more to come and what are we going to do to stop it. Do we just accept that this always happened and will always happen and there is nothing we can do about it? Well, I am here to say that is NOT good enough for me.

Think of this: a beautiful girl born, 8 months later her Mother decides not to see her again, cancer, treatment, cancer, treatment, loss of hearing, loss of her leg, Daddy meets lady online, they come to the USA, Daddy married lady from online, beautiful girl can't keep up with walking so now step-mom beats her, gives her a black eye, she stays with people who care about her, they nurture her, she has to go back home, they report abuse, DSS comes out and everything is fine, step-mom takes her out of school to homeschool her, (just to let you know I am a former homeschool mom too, so I have NOTHING against homeschoolers), beats on her some more, makes her stay in her room for almost twenty-four hours a day, only lets her have 5 minutes out of her room to eat, Daddy works all the time and lets the step-mom have charge over the beautiful girl, abuse continues, beautiful girl gets a chance at free hearing aids, girl smiles for camera and is SO thankful, then her comes the ransom note, the fire, the police come check on the people included in the ransom note, the step-mom runs out of the house 8 or 9 hours later yelling to the Father HIS daughter is missing, the police come, an Amber alert is issued, dogs alert to HUMAN REMAINS in the parents two vehicles, and a wood pile, step-mom is arresting on a slew of bad checks and previous offenses, Dad pleads with America to get his sweet, freckled-faced, beauty back, Dad doesn't know if step-mom is involved or not, police all off Amber Alert, change it to a homicide investigation..........................................................................Dad takes police to some large equipment he uses for work, blood is found ON the WOOD CHIPPER............................................... and in a pile of mulch..............................................................WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why was it taken so far? Why couldn't they just abandon her and let someone else take care of her? Why was she murdered and WHY would the DADDY dispose of his little girl like that? It didn't hit me with all the adrenaline I had yesterday but now it has and it has me physically sick. Why? Why? Why? I don't understand this madness. I know she is home with the Lord, but Lord why? I know I am not to question you but why?

I just can't type anymore but needed to get it out. Thank you for reading.

Has anyone else noticed that she appears to be wearing the same black top with pink and silver on it in a lot of the photos?

I understand kids have their favourite clothes but there doesn't seem much change in her wardrobe.

The poor kid. The same question comes to my lips with many of these childrens cases - Why didn't those who knew what was happening say something?

*sigh*

Hi everyone,

First post, kcsmom76 (your post was beautiful) inspired me to take the plunge and contribute to this fabulous forum, all the way from Aus *waves*.

I truly can't believe how this case is unfolding. Not sure about the rest of you but I can't entirely place blame with the SM ... Zahra's Dad seems equally responsible. If the reports of previous abuse are correct, how on earth could he stand by and do nothing :banghead: It's beyond comprehension. I have so many questions I just don't know where to start. Flights to the US are expensive yet Zahra had her hearing aid's donated :waitasec: Why are we still reading repeated stories of abused children under the watchful eye of DHS (DSS in USA) and still the unfortunate occurs - that warrants another :banghead:

My thoughts are with this little dot, such a cute child with innocence in her deep eyes. Thankfully this crime hasn't been committed in Australia, the SM would receive a paltry token sentence reduced to manslaughter when she claims to have been 'stressed' at the time. The US legal system rocks :dance: I hope they are both punished to the full extent of the law.

I will think about Zahra tonight before I go to sleep.

Nosee, welcome to Websleuths. I am glad to hear my post inspired someone, but I wish it was for better news. :( I think you are so right about the Father being as equally responsible. Why did he let this happen? He had to of known this was going on and did nothing about it? What did he have to lose his life or his daughter's life? I have a son and daughter and would gladly give up my life if it meant that they were safe. KWIM?

Has anyone else noticed that she appears to be wearing the same black top with pink and silver on it in a lot of the photos?

I understand kids have their favourite clothes but there doesn't seem much change in her wardrobe.

The poor kid. The same question comes to my lips with many of these childrens cases - Why didn't those who knew what was happening say something?

*sigh*

It was reported to DSS but the information was unfounded. :(

Nosee, welcome to Websleuths. I am glad to hear my post inspired someone, but I wish it was for better news. :( I think you are so right about the Father being as equally responsible. Why did he let this happen? He had to of known this was going on and did nothing about it? What did he have to lose his life or his daughter's life? I have a son and daughter and would gladly give up my life if it meant that they were safe. KWIM?

I know exactly what you mean. It's extremely hard to get your head around.

Someone mentioned earlier about Zahra being in the same top throughout a number of photo's - I was equally puzzled by the creative work on her hair. In the picture of Zahra receiving her hearing aid's, she has yellow 'skunk stripes' in her hair, in others she has rather radical 'choppy' do's. She seems a little young for 'out there' hair styling. Perhaps I'm conservative, it just seems awfully young to be primping a youngster.

Anyway, the same top and the hair styling is attached to the myriad of other red flags in this story.

God take care of Zahra :angel:

I was going to say something... but I can't. My mind just can't process right now.

I have fortunately watched the first six miners be brought up... and now I'm going to go to bed.

First however... I thought I'd put up a few more pictures of this beautiful, precious little girl.... who should have been given the world... not taken out of it. Having children with special needs and health issues... this is simply beyond my comprehension.

I wonder if Zahra still believed in Santa?

zarahsanta.jpg

I wonder if Zahra had a blanket or stuffed animal that was especially comforting to her?

zarahbear.jpg

I wonder what the occasion was that brought this amount of joy out of this absolutely beautiful child?

zahrabeautiful.png

No doubt, that is definitely my favorite. At least we know this child had one really, truly happy day.

Hi Nosee, welcome, you are so right, the US legal system does rock as compared to Oz.

~I don't know where to begin to get my thoughts down in a rational, readable, intelligent way, so I am just going to type what I feel at the moment. I have been battling a cold and have taken Nyquil the last two nights trying to ward it off. It is 3:33 in the morning where I am and I have been struggling and wrestling these thoughts for the last hour. The only thing I think will help is to pray (already did/tried that) and write it down. I hope there are some of you out there that can share in my feelings.~

Oh beautiful Zahra, how the world has failed you, you little fighter. Just from the pictures I have seen from your beautiful face with freckles, crooked teeth, absolutely beautiful smile, I have a hard time trying to fathom the Hell you must of faced on a daily basis but you still kept your bright spirit. The horror of what seems to have become of you has hit me like a ton of bricks. Jonbenet, Caylee, Adji, Haylee, Gabriel, Kyron, and so many others have touched me too, but not like you. You are a local girl. You attended the same elementary school I attended over 25 years ago. You lived in the same community I live in. But I didn't get the blessing of meeting you in person and for that I am sorry.

I wonder if our paths had crossed would I have known the torture you were going through. Would I have done something about it? I believe I would. Would I have insisted that DSS check it out and make sure you were removed from that environment? I think I would of insisted a little, but when they would of told me to "butt out" I probably would have since I don't like to "rock the boat". That grieves me so to make that realization. Then and there is where you were failed. Why don't the adults in this world stand up for what is right and make change happen? Why do we let ourselves get "bullied" around and make ourselves forget the horrors abused children go through? Why doesn't the government take these things seriously and make sure this never happens again? I am so guilty of becoming complacent on these things when the news stops. I push it back in my mind and slowly forget what happened and go on about my normal routine. I have a safe cocoon and don't have to worry about it cause it doesn't affect me or my tidy little world. Well guess what, this time it has. This crap happened in "my" community and I can't believe it.

Why is there not something we can do to make The Ramsey's, Casey Anthony, Adji's tormentors, Haylee's Father and so-called step-mom, Kyron's step-mom, Elizabeth (Gabriel's mom and the people who wanted to adopt him), the little girl who was kidnapped and raped by a gang member last weeks tormentors, and so on......... talk and tell us what in the Hell they did to these children? Why do we just lock them up and throw away the key? That isn't stopping others from doing the same thing. Just look at that list.......It keeps growing everyday. There are others we have no idea about. There will be more to come and what are we going to do to stop it. Do we just accept that this always happened and will always happen and there is nothing we can do about it? Well, I am here to say that is NOT good enough for me.

Think of this: a beautiful girl born, 8 months later her Mother decides not to see her again, cancer, treatment, cancer, treatment, loss of hearing, loss of her leg, Daddy meets lady online, they come to the USA, Daddy married lady from online, beautiful girl can't keep up with walking so now step-mom beats her, gives her a black eye, she stays with people who care about her, they nurture her, she has to go back home, they report abuse, DSS comes out and everything is fine, step-mom takes her out of school to homeschool her, (just to let you know I am a former homeschool mom too, so I have NOTHING against homeschoolers), beats on her some more, makes her stay in her room for almost twenty-four hours a day, only lets her have 5 minutes out of her room to eat, Daddy works all the time and lets the step-mom have charge over the beautiful girl, abuse continues, beautiful girl gets a chance at free hearing aids, girl smiles for camera and is SO thankful, then her comes the ransom note, the fire, the police come check on the people included in the ransom note, the step-mom runs out of the house 8 or 9 hours later yelling to the Father HIS daughter is missing, the police come, an Amber alert is issued, dogs alert to HUMAN REMAINS in the parents two vehicles, and a wood pile, step-mom is arresting on a slew of bad checks and previous offenses, Dad pleads with America to get his sweet, freckled-faced, beauty back, Dad doesn't know if step-mom is involved or not, police all off Amber Alert, change it to a homicide investigation..........................................................................Dad takes police to some large equipment he uses for work, blood is found ON the WOOD CHIPPER............................................... and in a pile of mulch..............................................................WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why was it taken so far? Why couldn't they just abandon her and let someone else take care of her? Why was she murdered and WHY would the DADDY dispose of his little girl like that? It didn't hit me with all the adrenaline I had yesterday but now it has and it has me physically sick. Why? Why? Why? I don't understand this madness. I know she is home with the Lord, but Lord why? I know I am not to question you but why?

I just can't type anymore but needed to get it out. Thank you for reading.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt post. It sums up how I feel as well.

Will we see the arrest of the bio-dad tomorrow? I sure hope so -- they both need to surrender to this crime. There's no way he could not have known.

My heart broke when one of the sisters said the SM came out and said "her hand hurt so much from beating her". There must be justice for this precious little girl, who, in her short life, knew only of pain.

Reaching out and giving you a hug -- cuz I think we could use one about now.

Mel

I was going to say something... but I can't. My mind just can't process right now.

I have fortunately watched the first six miners be brought up... and now I'm going to go to bed.

First however... I thought I'd put up a few more pictures of this beautiful, precious little girl.... who should have been given the world... not taken out of it. Having children with special needs and health issues... this is simply beyond my comprehension.

I wonder if Zahra still believed in Santa?

zarahsanta.jpg

I wonder if Zahra had a blanket or stuffed animal that was especially comforting to her?

zarahbear.jpg

I wonder what the occasion was that brought this amount of joy out of this absolutely beautiful child?

zahrabeautiful.png

No doubt, that is definitely my favorite. At least we know this child had one really, truly happy day.

Thank you for posting these pictures. The 2nd one reminded me of my son and his most comforting blue elephant. I still have it, hospital bracelet and all. He took it with him when he had ear surgery, and the nurses were sweet enough to make his stuffed elephant a patient too.

I can't stop thinking about Zahra, and pray she is wrapped in God's love and free of pain.

Mel

Does anyone know where bio-mom is? Has she come forward yet to comment?

Just curious.

Mel

I've got a bad feeling that the picture of her in the red dress may be from the wedding. Please someone set me straight if I'm wrong.

I don't think the bio-mum has been identified yet, although she seems to have commented in a couple of media reports without being named.

Welcome to Websleuths Nosee_Parker. It's great to see some more Aussies on the board :)

Police search property looking for remains of missing Aussie girl Zahra Baker
* October 13, 2010 7:48PM

POLICE in North Carolina have worked through the night searching an area of Burke County for the remains of missing Australian 10-year-old Zahra Clara Baker, WCNC TV reports.

Zahra, who has twice survived cancer, was reported missing on Saturday by her stepmother, Elisa Baker, and father, Adam Baker, but tearful police have revealed they believed her disappearance was a homicide.

The couple said they last saw Zahra sleeping in her bed in their Hickory, NC, home about 12 hours earlier.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...girl-zahra-baker/story-e6frf7lf-1225938351849

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/wo...girl-zahra-baker/story-e6frf7lf-1225938351849

This is my first post on this wonderful site. I have been reading for a while and you all amaze me and have my respect for what you all do to help the missing. I was reading the article above and something caught me eye as strange. For the last couple of days the police have said no one outside of the house has seen Zahra for the last month, but yet they say the dad is not a suspect???? If they think she has been missing that long, how did dad not notice??? A little suspicious to me....

I dont know if this has been mentioned...this post is moving so fast. I have try to keep up in between work. Sorry if it has.

This is my first post on this wonderful site. I have been reading for a while and you all amaze me and have my respect for what you all do to help the missing. I was reading the article above and something caught me eye as strange. For the last couple of days the police have said no one outside of the house has seen Zahra for the last month, but yet they say the dad is not a suspect???? If they think she has been missing that long, how did dad not notice??? A little suspicious to me....

I dont know if this has been mentioned...this post is moving so fast. I have try to keep up in between work. Sorry if it has.

Welcome, Max's Mom, to Websleuths! Thanks for posting!

Yes, that has been mentioned. Most of us feel the cops doubt the dad's story about seeing Zahra on Thursday night. LE has stated that no one other than the parents can confirm seeing Zahra for several weeks and thats very disturbing. Because of this, no one can say for sure how long Zahra has been missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow