NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In partial defense of the NC child welfare workers -- the sad truth is that even if they had determined she was in danger, they might not have had a place to take her to. If NC is anything like MA, the foster care spots are full, the group homes are full, even the emergency care is full. Healthy kids have spent the night in hospital wards because it was the only safe bed to be found.

The problem isn't budget. The problem is not enough foster parents. The economy has caused many of the people who used to volunteer to require services themselves, and nobody has replaced them. There are plenty of sanctimonious people ready to scream when something goes wrong, but not so many willing to reach out and help a troubled child and maybe prevent a tragedy.

At the Agency I work with in NY, they MUST find a bed for the child. I have to say that as bad as things are here in many ways, and with the reports of how the system screws up, for the most part the Agency I work for does a good job, as best they can for the kids.

I understand your point, completely, though. Also, having done trainings for Foster Parents, being a FP is rewarding, but can be difficult. The stoires I've heard!:yow:

They rent and she qualified for a public defender, she is not going to be able to make bail. I don't see any of her family bailing her out either. There is no love loss there.

jmo

I thought the same thing about AD in Shaniya's case.
She's walking around free waiting for her trial.

JMO

Zahra was enrolled and went to school in September 2010?

By 09/10 I meant the 2009/2010 school year. Should have written that differently such as '09/ '10 school year.

hth

Sorry, was distracted:

http://www.ncpha.com/Documents/NCImmunizationLaws.pdf

ETA: Immunizing is the only official physical requirement for pre k-3, I think

http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac/tit...y health/subchapter a/10a ncac 41a .0401.html

Ok these refer to immunizations.....

No requirements for children in NC to get annual dental exams or eye exams? I know the second grade required eye exam in IL was just made law last year.... I'm still curious if there are recent laws or changes in recent laws within the last few years which would of course be different than those of us with grown kids...

tia (sorry if I am being nitpicky.... I am very curious...)

No matter how much you want to you can not just take a child, at best you might be able to call LE who could then have to CPS come. but taking the child makes you the criminal and the abuser becomes the victim.

Face the abuser and tell them you know what they are doing,call CPS, stay with the child- stand on the doorstep of the home, follow them where ever they go- make it clear you are watching, until help arrives, yell at the top of your lungs but don't break the law and lose your credibility and ability to help the child.

I disagree with you. I have taken children out of abusive homes, I do not work for CPS, I never have. I would do this again, and as I have done before I would offer to call the police for the loser parents. More then once the person/persons who were supposed to care for these children/child didn't even know for hours, once for a whole day, what I had done. I have never and would never just walk away from a child who is being abused.

The photo is actually consistent with a child currently undergoing chemotherapy. Head covering to hide missing hair, bruising, swollen face from reaction to drugs, looking generally unwell, and "feeling down" as described by the photographer/photo-seller. However, given that the date has been specified as August 9 of this year, that can't have been the explanation, because it's been quite a long time since she last underwent chemotherapy.

I think the head covering was part of SM's freakish personality. Considering she made up the fact that she herself had overcome brain cancer 3 times and forced her child to sit in a wheelchair and claimed this child had leukemia (sp?) I have no doubt this SM would have put that head covering on Zahra whether she was currently undergoing chemo or not. SM's moms history isn't condusive to making the determination if Zahra had come out of remission or not.

jmo respectfully

http://ncrules.state.nc.us/ncac/tit...y health/subchapter a/10a ncac 41a .0401.html

No requirements for children in NC to get annual dental exams or eye exams? I know the second grade required eye exam in IL was just made law last year.... I'm still curious if there are recent laws or changes in recent laws within the last few years which would of course be different than those of us with grown kids...

Found this:

http://www.preventblindness.org/advocacy/StateVisionScreeningLaws11907.pdf

snipped:

North Carolina Statute §130A-440.1: Every child entering kindergarten in public schools, beginning with
the 2007-2008 school year, shall obtain vision screening in accordance with vision
screening standards adopted by the Governor's Commission on Early Childhood Vision
Care (Commission). Within 180 days of the start of the school year, the parent of the child
shall present to the school principal or the principal's designee certification that the child
has, within the past 12 months, obtained vision screening from a licensed physician,
optometrist, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, registered nurse, orthoptist, or a vision
screener certified by Prevent Blindness North Carolina, or a comprehensive eye
examination performed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist. Vision screeners shall
provide each parent in writing the results of the vision screening on forms bearing the
signature of the provider and supplied by the Commission. The provider shall orally
communicate this information to the parent and take reasonable steps to ensure that the
parent understands the information communicated. A comprehensive eye examination is re...(cut off by upload of PDF)

what is the tatoo on SM arm???
She sure doesn't look 42 ..............
and I am sure she hates being dressed in PINK!

Have we seen any formal verification of her age by authorities? Given how many things we know she's lied about, it would hardly surprise me if she's been in the habit of lying about her age too. Especially since she roped in a much younger man to marry her.

I can't find a Facebook page for Brittany Bentley.. How did you all find it?

It's Brittany Starbuck who is commenting on the FB page here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Love-...d=132834983433374&comments=1#s132834983433374

I believe this Brittany S is EB's daughter from a previous marriage (please correct me if I am wrong).

Brittany Bentley is EB's nephew's wife who would often keep Zahra on weekends and who has been speaking to the press. I can see her FB page but I think it's because we have mutual friends (apparently we went to the same high school but she is much younger than me).

I disagree with you. I have taken children out of abusive homes, I do not work for CPS, I never have. I would do this again, and as I have done before I would offer to call the police for the loser parents. More then once the person/persons who were supposed to care for these children/child didn't even know for hours, once for a whole day, what I had done. I have never and would never just walk away from a child who is being abused.

This is absolutely correct. You can avoid having charges lodged against you for kidnapping as long as you call the authorities and tell them what you've done immediately. There are laws that were designed to protect battered women who flee with their children for their own safety that would protect anyone in this situation.

Another Cubby. may not answer your questions...

http://nasbe.org/healthy_schools/hs/bytopics.php?topicid=4100&catExpand=acdnbtm_catD

snipped:

North Carolina

Last Updated: 7/1/2010
Vision and Hearing: Statute 130A-440 (2006) a vision screening in accordance with standards adopted by the Governor's Commission on Early Childhood Vision care, within 180 days of the start of the school year. For children who receive and fail to pass a vision screening, a comprehensive eye examination is required. If a public school teacher, administrator, or other appropriate school personnel has reason to believe that a child enrolled in K-3 is having problems with vision, the school personnel may recommend to the parent that the child have a comprehensive eye examination. Funds may be available from the Governor's Commission on Early Childhood Vision Care to pay providers for the examination, including corrective lenses. Once the comprehensive exam is completed, the parent shall submit a provider-signed transmittal form to the school.

Chronic Health Conditions: North Carolina does not require schools or districts to identify students with asthma. However, Statute 130A-440 requires every child in the state entering kindergarten to receive a health assessment and present it to the school principal.

Body Mass Index (BMI) Screening: No state policy.

I cannot speak for the counties in the Hickory area, but in the NC county in which I worked, students were given eye exams by the school system in grades 1, 3 & 5 IIRC.

Also, a dental hygienist (sp?) from the county health dept inspected students teeth twice a year, once in the beginning of the year and once towards the end of the school year for follow up.

wm

Investigators back at scene in Burke County to search for Zahra Baker's body. Chopper 9 skyzoom on the way.

http://twitter.com/shelleyclynch

Don't know the counties.. Are they back at her residence or did the go back to the area they were searching at last night... I need to go fina a map of North Carolina..
I have a daughter who lives in Asheville but other than that I don't know where any cities or counties are located..

I feel very non-at-ease about the comments made about Zahra's looks in some photos. This is a tiny girl who fought cancer. Medicines and the rest may have made her look really strange, swollen face etc...

But the photo was taken August 9, 2010 and the last time she had cancer was in 2007, so it's been a looong time since she's had any cancer treatment, and there have been lots of photos from the intervening time period showing her looking her *perfectly* healthy (apart from the missing leg).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member