ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because there is no crime at the University of Minnesota and no student has ever died . Oh wait---that's not exactly true.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/editorials/235661281.html

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/24225218/body-found-near-stone-arch-bridge

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_24045331/woman-19-dies-after-fall-from-university-minnesota

Enough already of blaming the school. The person who did this is solely responsible.

Relax, Rocco.
My comment was made to/about Tom directly. I think it's safe to say that he would still be alive if he went to school at the U of MN as he was debating about (according to his social media accounts). Unless you feel that this was personal to him and had ties to Sartell? Maybe you are right & I am wrong.

As the resident thread cynic, I'm not sure we know what NDSU's statistics are for crime. I mean, they can't even fess up about their video surveillance for God's sake. What's the big secret? Or did it just become a secret after a student attending school was murdered there?

I'll go back to my corner now.

There's always a cynic in every crowd.
It takes all kinds & a lot of different minds to solve a problem.

Who Can We Get On The Case?
We Need Perry Mason....

How old are you two?! Ha. Just teasing but I couldn't let it go. Matlock & Perry Mason?! I think they'd be lost on the Twitter feed. And SnapChat. And Facebook. And Instagram.

I think we could get HLN on the case & get all of those followers in an uproar. (hysterical ladies network)

Or Joe Kenda. Or Dateline or 48 Hours or 20/20.

Or that prosecutor from Texas (is it Harris County?) that researches cold cases -- although technically this wouldn't qualify as a "cold case" yet.

Yes, it is that corrupt in North Dakota and Fargo. I work in Fargo but live over the border in Minnesota. I am personally acquainted with someone within the City of Fargo who holds a prominent position in the government system. In the last year this person has witnessed illegal activity and decision- making at the executive level in favor of the best interests of those in command at the emotional, psychological, financial, and career costs of at least one prominent person inside the system. This person is so shocked, upset, and ethically disturbed by what they witnessed that this person has started to gather data and files at the risk of this person's career if found out. This person has reached out to local media to a deaf ear, which is no surprise since the media is owned by those who also prefer to keep the status quo. I suggested this person talk to the Minneapolis Star/Tribune to have a shot of this ever being made known to the public. Which reminds me of the series of articles written and investigated by a New York Times reporter who revealed practices related to the oil field are not in the best interests of citizens of the state and are to the benefit of those in positions of government and oversight.

I sincerely believe what BankingOnIt has just said. At first I didn't really believe what I heard about state and local corruption but over time and finding out more about what's happening I have come to the realization that these are not exaggerations. I do believe what Banking says that TB and whatever happened to him is something NDSU would prefer to go away quietly.
The corruption within the Fargo police department alone is enough to raise eyebrows. The former chief of police, who resigned under duress last month, was an interesting fellow to say the least.

I was born and grew up in Fargo, and the rumors are flying about Tom, particularly about the circumstances surrounding his murder.

North Dakota is a unique place and Fargo is unique within it. It's one of those places that you have to experience to believe. A city of 200,000ish which behaves like a village of 2000...

Who Can We Get On The Case?
We Need Perry Mason....

!! BAH!! Perry Mason! You can't possibly be that old? I remember old Iron Side very well. Can you imagine if a modern show called the lead star that now?

I moved on from Perry to Matlock, then Monk. I do like him and think he could help us in this case.

GoBison, what is your theory of what went down with this dear young man?

!! BAH!! Perry Mason! You can't possibly be that old? I remember old Iron Side very well. Can you imagine if a modern show called the lead star that now?

I moved on from Perry to Matlock, then Monk. I do like him and think he could help us in this case.

I'm almost that old....i barely remember it. But I was actually quoting an Ozzy Osbourne song from the 90's to be honest.

So are you maybe (or maybe not) in a position that may be able to put pressure on (or to enlighten us) about getting any LE insights into this case? Can you contribute via your association ( or no association as you've insinuated)?

We all here on WS are victim's advocates & believe in the power of justice, solemnly.
Sorry Honey, I am not in a position to put pressure on the Local LE to make what they know public. That is not how things work unfortunately. Some good questions to ask the Media would be....
1. Why was the FBI involved so quickly?
2. Who is currently in charge of the investigation?
3. What is the reasoning for making a statement that "The final Autopsy may never be released"
http://www.wdaz.com/content/moorhea...till-pending-autopsy-ndsu-student-tom-bearson

The only things that come to mind at this point for Me....
1. They knew right away what happened and disclosing the results might hurt future litigation.
2. They simply have no clue and are relying on social media and rumor to solve this. (I really hope this is not the case... and if so, there needs to be a wake up call and further training within the local departments) "Sorry to say... I do hear about the corruption rumors from time to time and think they might very well be true in that area of the state"

I continue to shake my head and wonder Why Tom's parents remain mute... I can only hope they know more than the public knows. Once Tom's remains were discovered in MN... The Fargo PD referred all questions to be directed to Moorhead PD for answers.

Sorry Honey, I am not in a position to put pressure on the Local LE to make what they know public. That is not how things work unfortunately. Some good questions to ask the Media would be....
3. What is the reasoning for making a statement that "The final Autopsy may never be released"
http://www.wdaz.com/content/moorhea...till-pending-autopsy-ndsu-student-tom-bearson

1. They knew right away what happened and disclosing the results might hurt future litigation.
2. They simply have no clue and are relying on social media and rumor to solve this. (I really hope this is not the case... and if so, there needs to be a wake up call and further training within the local departments) "Sorry to say... I do hear about the corruption rumors from time to time and think they might very well be true in that area of the state"

I continue to shake my head and wonder Why Tom's parents remain mute... I can only hope they know more than the public knows. Once Tom's remains were discovered in MN... The Fargo PD referred all questions to be directed to Moorhead PD for answers.

Do you have any sense as to the state of the relationship between Fargo PD and Moorhead PD?

Cordial? Cooperative? Neither?

Ozzy and JD??? Oh.....you're making my head hurt! hahaha

I'm painting a poor picture here huh?!

If it helps - I'm a big believer in everything in moderation. Even Ozzy and Jack! (Ok - not EVERYTHING....there is NO place for SOME things.). And as to my WebSleuth habit....moderation is not a word I'd use to describe that of late....

Seems like initially LE insinuated that this was solvable, and that some time was needed for final tests, and to complete the investigation. I believe a comment was even made (paraphrasing) to the effect that they had every reason to think a conclusion would be expected.....then....started sounding more like no suspects, mystery, so on and so on....
What changed???
Am I the only one was getting that vibe?

Seems like initially LE insinuated that this was solvable, and that some time was needed for final tests, and to complete the investigation. I believe a comment was even made (paraphrasing) to the effect that they had every reason to think a conclusion would be expected.....then....started sounding more like no suspects, mystery, so on and so on....
What changed???
Am I the only one was getting that vibe?

No - me as well. But it feels like wishful thinking in hindsight at this point. Revisionist memories?

Do you have any sense as to the state of the relationship between Fargo PD and Moorhead PD?

Cordial? Cooperative? Neither?
Fargo is much bigger than Moorhead and I think that is reflected in the relationship between the two PDs. Fargo PD is kind of a big fish in a small pond and the Moorhead PD is the opposite - North Dakota's population is MUCH smaller than Minnesota's, and Fargo is by far the largest city in the state, while Moorhead is just one of many, many small Minnesota towns.

On the other hand, Moorhead PD operates within a much larger statewide system.

While Moorhead has a smaller population, it has historically had a higher crime rate and smaller police force than Fargo. Google "Romkey Park riots 1998" as an example.

The relationship is cooperative but complicated.

Also, BREAKING: Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker died a few hours ago - as I was typing this post. He was something of a local hero and it remains to be seen what effect his demise has on the city and the police department as a whole.

Fargo is much bigger than Moorhead and I think that is reflected in the relationship between the two PDs. Fargo PD is kind of a big fish in a small pond and the Moorhead PD is the opposite - North Dakota's population is MUCH smaller than Minnesota's, and Fargo is by far the largest city in the state, while Moorhead is just one of many, many small Minnesota towns.

On the other hand, Moorhead PD operates within a much larger statewide system.

While Moorhead has a smaller population, it has historically had a higher crime rate and smaller police force than Fargo. Google "Romkey Park riots 1998" as an example.

The relationship is cooperative but complicated.

Also, BREAKING: Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker died a few hours ago - as I was typing this post. He was something of a local hero and it remains to be seen what effect his demise has on the city and the police department as a whole.

I read that - but i also read it as FORMER Mayor. Was he the sitting Mayor?

No - me as well. But it feels like wishful thinking in hindsight at this point. Revisionist memories.

I feel like it was a pacifier to buy time to let the dust settle and allow time, space, and memories to fade and move on.....

My ASSumption here is that the FBI got involved when it became clear that Tom was transported across state lines.

I read that - but i also read it as FORMER Mayor. Was he the sitting Mayor?

He was sitting mayor and rose to prominence after effectively saving Fargo-Moorhead during the catastrophic Flood of 1997. He refused to evacuate the city during the record-setting Flood of 2009 and had been Mayor since 2010. Not ashamed to say I filled out my absentee ballot for him as a college student*. This would have been his final term per city regulations.

Article in local paper here

*His efforts saved my childhood home in 2009, as I watched from 1500 miles away.

Thank You GoBison
Why do you suppose LE is indicating that it is the media that is choosing to not report on this case?
I shake my head as well that Tom's parents have been so quiet, and have hoped that as well, until.....MN Mom informed us that they have said that they are not being told anything, and it seemed to be upsetting them. Not in the case's best interest to include the family perhaps? Let's hope....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery