ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You GoBison
Why do you suppose LE is indicating that it is the media that is choosing to not report on this case?
The rumor around F-M (my peers anyway) is that the entire situation is drug-related and that's why it's being kept quiet.

I am from ND but I do not live there now.
This Perry Miller is just an official in Richland County, I think. I don't know any of the politicians or elected officials in ND.

I do know that ND is consistently rated at the top of the list for CORRUPTION in a wide array of different categories.. To think that NDSU - or any college - would place value of any one student over the reputation of their school is naive at best. I am a businessman. College is big business and NDSU's reputation is very important to the survival of the state. They can't just be a giant oil well forever. No matter how Tom was killed - gang, drug deal, talking to the wrong girl, CI, hazing - NDSU would rather not speak of Tom Bearson again. This is bad for them on every level.

Even if Tom was not a CI, it is still a practice that deserves some attention, IMO. We simply don't want our children put into these situations without adequate training & supervision. The Andrew Sadek case got my attention. The interview with Mr. Miller should be concerning to every parent with a child in college in ND. (Wisconsin colleges just had an incident as well. There were a lot of articles debating the use of CI's on their college campuses - which they openly admit to doing.). I am against that on every level from a philosophical point of view as well as that of a parent who understands full well that college kids make judgement errors. These local task forces prey on their ignorance and those stupid mistakes they make.

I guess I am at a loss on this case. It doesn't appear as if anyone other than us on this thread really give any thought to the murder at times, including LE.

Also. We are not all going to agree on one theory. If you don't like someone's theory, move on. No need to downgrade it.

I agree with you on most points. Are you a Scholarship level supporter of NDSU as well? Your user name of choice might have mislead me to assume you might be an alumni member and I apologize if I was wrong. But if you are' I would like to hear your input as well. A few of us have been talking about what happened and what we can do to improve the safety of all students attending NDSU both on and off campus. (most of us understand why NDSU has not taken responsibly for this now because the crime likely occurred off campus) But it still does not make us heartless and ANTI NDSU. Many provide funds to students because they care about our youth who would not get a chance to further their education without help. (Not all funds support just the Football program)Just as many support the school when their children do not play football for NDSU or chose to attend a different college. ;) So if you have any input how to support the well being of all students of NDSU start speaking to some Alumni. (Not me... I actually went to College in another State. But my family and I continue to support NDSU because of other family ties who are Alumni members)

My ASSumption here is that the FBI got involved when it became clear that Tom was transported across state lines.

Well no Kidding! I think I stated that early on... but that might have been one of my postings that got booted into cyberspace. :)

The rumor around F-M (my peers anyway) is that the entire situation is drug-related and that's why it's being kept quiet.

Some of us on here have suspected that as well, and some vehemently don't. What would be the reasoning behind keeping it quiet? Other drug related situations aren't always kept quiet? What's the theory in the rumor?

Some of us on here have suspected that as well, and some vehemently don't. What would be the reasoning behind keeping it quiet? Other drug related situations aren't always kept quiet? What's the theory in the rumor?
I think the hope/belief is that Fargo LE/FBI know exactly why Tom was killed and are keeping it quiet so that they can gather evidence to convict the responsible parties.

Some of the rumor could also be college students being college students (some of my friends are still undergrads). I am going to be back in F-M in a couple weeks and am eager to hear how the rumors/theories have evolved.

I think Fargo LE (and Fargoans in general) tend to play things close to the vest, which could explain why this is being kept silent when other drug-related cases are publicized. As I said, Fargo and North Dakota need to be experienced to be understood fully.

I think the hope/belief is that Fargo LE/FBI know exactly why Tom was killed and are keeping it quiet so that they can gather evidence to convict the responsible parties.

Some of the rumor could also be college students being college students (some of my friends are still undergrads). I am going to be back in F-M in a couple weeks and am eager to hear how the rumors/theories have evolved.

I think Fargo LE (and Fargoans in general) tend to play things close to the vest, which could explain why this is being kept silent when other drug-related cases are publicized. As I said, Fargo and North Dakota need to be experienced to be understood fully.
I thought Moorhead LE was leading the case?

I agree with you on most points. Are you a Scholarship level supporter of NDSU as well? Your user name of choice might have mislead me to assume you might be an alumni member and I apologize if I was wrong. But if you are' I would like to hear your input as well. A few of us have been talking about what happened and what we can do to improve the safety of all students attending NDSU both on and off campus. (most of us understand why NDSU has not taken responsibly for this now because the crime likely occurred off campus) But it still does not make us heartless and ANTI NDSU. Many provide funds to students because they care about our youth who would not get a chance to further their education without help. (Not all funds support just the Football program)Just as many support the school when their children do not play football for NDSU or chose to attend a different college. ;) So if you have any input how to support the well being of all students of NDSU start speaking to some Alumni. (Not me... I actually went to College in another State. But my family and I continue to support NDSU because of other family ties who are Alumni members)
What are your thoughts regarding the existence or nonexistence of a campus screenshot/video of Tom leaving the dorm that "could not be confirmed"? And the safety issue if no camera security has been in place?

I have actually been told a "Rumor" that is entirely different. I think I remember another member here put that out there once as well. (A friend and some family members with children currently attending NDSU spoke about it and I dismissed it because it was not based on fact... just speculation based on Tom's choice of declared major) I also refuse to jump to conclusions about a drug deal as well.. Just because NDSU is known for its Pharmacy program and most Freshman nursing students graduate as Pharmacy Majors does not make them drug dealers. But again.... we still have not heard much from his parents and why his dreams of playing college ball were lost. So I guess... more speculation and rumor. (I won't assume anything myself) There has got to be a reason his friends and family are not in a rage demanding justice by now... If I was in his mothers place and had no clue if there was going to be a resolution to my son's senseless death... I would be making noise... a very loud noise.

I thought Moorhead LE was leading the case?
You're right. Sorry, it's almost reflex for me to type "Fargo" when I mean "Moorhead" (eg I say I'm "going to Fargo" in a couple of weeks but will actually be in Moorhead).

...which may provide insight into the relationship between the police departments there.

At any rate, I'd trust the Moorhead PD/Minnesota BCA over ND law enforcement any day.

I also refuse to jump to conclusions about a drug deal as well.. Just because NDSU is known for its Pharmacy program and most Freshman nursing students graduate as Pharmacy Majors does not make them drug dealers.

None of the drug rumors I have heard have had anything at all to do with the NDSU pharmacy program and respectfully, I think that such a suggestion is a little farfetched.

None of the drug rumors I have heard have had anything at all to do with the NDSU pharmacy program and respectfully, I think that such a suggestion is a little farfetched.
I'd have to agree with that. A pharmacy program doesn't mean you would have access to pharmaceuticals anytime soon (for years actually).

What are your thoughts regarding the existence or nonexistence of a campus screenshot/video of Tom leaving the dorm?

The only "screenshot" I ever saw on the news... as I stated before it might have been WDAY, Valley News or another... perhaps even KFGO. Was a "screenshot/stock photo" of Andrew S. It really made me angry when I saw it because our local media really is that bad. If another video/screenshot existed I would be surprised. I was looking for news about TB from the time it hit my facebook page from the kids and family members who are tied to NDSU before it was made public on the media. I think something was finally released officially Sunday night... but it has been so long it might have been Monday evening. I was really upset to hear a child was missing and none of us on Campus that day were told earlier. (I am not certain what time he was thought to be missing for sure by his friends.... but I think it was before the game ended) So there might have been evidence that was long gone before anyone knew this boy was missing.

The only "screenshot" I ever saw on the news... as I stated before it might have been WDAY, Valley News or another... perhaps even KFGO. Was a "screenshot/stock photo" of Andrew S. It really made me angry when I saw it because our local media really is that bad.

Agree. Cannot emphasize how awful the local F-M media is. Most of it is owned by a nepotistic cabal and the remainder is subpar.

And the safety issue that no camera security has been in place?
Didn't TB's dorm-mate say he himself was out of town? It seems that no one else really noticed that TB was not around until the evening of 9-20-14, or atleast according to SM that is when it started being the biggest concern, or people started being questioned/contacted about his possible where-abouts.

http://www.thenewsleaders.net/2014/0...ds-tragically/

“Bearson’s family notified police Sunday because they were concerned he did not show up to visit his family that day, as expected. He told the family he would “catch a ride” from Fargo and leave about noon for the trip to Sartell. By 5:30 p.m. Sunday, he had not arrived, which alarmed the family.”
“was reported missing Sept. 21 by his family”

Right!? Did I say I believed it? No.... I just related some loose suggestive rumor floating around I quickly dismissed. You would have to have been born and raised in ND to understand the small town rumor mill. Most days the local café (gathering spot for gossip) knows what the majority of the people in town are going to do that day before they know themselves. Less than 50% is true of course. If we did 1/2 the stuff the coffee ladies said we did... LOL But it makes their day more interesting I guess.

Right!? Did I say I believed it? No.... I just related some loose suggestive rumor floating around I quickly dismissed. You would have to have been born and raised in ND to understand the small town rumor mill. Most days the local café (gathering spot for gossip) knows what the majority of the people in town are going to do that day before they know themselves. Less than 50% is true of course. If we did 1/2 the stuff the coffee ladies said we did... LOL But it makes their day more interesting I guess.
That does sound like small-town USA with metro population like some have described?! Fargo, right?

Was born and raised in Fargo. Left at 18 and have lived elsewhere since.

I hope I didn't sound accusatory or dismissive - I know EXACTLY what you mean about the small town rumor mill. Heck, Fargo is not immune to the small town gossip and it's by far the largest metro area in the state. It's an ND thing and it's weird/charming.

(GoBison, the creepy thing is probably that we know each other or know people who know each other. That's Fargo, readers. Always good to see another native Fargoan who "gets" it. I was excited to meet "one of us" in a bar in western Mexico in 2011. Of course we had acquaintances in common, and he grew up within two blocks of my mother.)

If Tom would have went to school in Minneapolis, you think he'd be dead today? Likely not.

I, personally, don't blame the school per se. I don't blame the state either. Frankly, I guess I wish I knew who to blame. It doesn't look good that this hasn't appeared to be a priority. Simply statements would help. "We are still actively working with the FBI and Moorhead Police on this case. If anyone has any information, please contact us." Maybe offer an award for information leading to the arrest?

Well, if Annie Le hadn't gone to Yale she wouldn't be dead either but people aren't going to stop sending their kids to Yale. TB died while he was a student at NDSU, not because he was a student at NDSU.

And the safety issue that no camera security has been in place?
Didn't TB's dorm-mate say he himself was out of town? It seems that no one else really noticed that TB was not around until the evening of 9-20-14, or atleast according to SM that is when it started being the biggest concern, or people started being questioned/contacted about his possible where-abouts.

http://www.thenewsleaders.net/2014/0...ds-tragically/

“Bearson’s family notified police Sunday because they were concerned he did not show up to visit his family that day, as expected. He told the family he would “catch a ride” from Fargo and leave about noon for the trip to Sartell. By 5:30 p.m. Sunday, he had not arrived, which alarmed the family.”
“was reported missing Sept. 21 by his family”

That's poor reporting and shouldn't be repeated. He was reported missing by his parents on Saturday the 20th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DownlowDelivery