ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that and thought to myself WHY are they being so secretive then with all this information? If they have NADA then they need to change their game plan.

Does anyone know: do rewards actually assist in solving crimes? There has to be a study done on the topic or a policy for LE.

My hunch - it's an outdated tool that is more of a PR move than actually useful in solving a case. I have a sense - opinion only - that it's a waste of time because I cannot imagine someone sitting on that kind of info only to be inspired once a reward is offered.

Ok - thinking out loud here - it COULD get a criminal to loosen his/her tongue and report on an acquaintance. No honor among thieves premise.

So, my rambling leads me back to - does anyone know what studies have shown or how LE views rewards?

The link doesn't say that rewards are not effective. It gives both sides of the issue and covers the pros and cons.

Pros:

The Flip Side

Nonetheless, many are still fans of the cash reward system and point to the positive results over the years. For instance, the Austin, Texas crime stoppers program boasts that it has paid out close to $1 million in rewards since 1979. And the federal Rewards for Justice program (funded by federal tax dollars and private donations ) has paid over $80 million to tipsters who've help capture terrorist suspects.

And remember the Unibomber? His brother and sister-in-law collected the $1 million reward for his capture and conviction. It shows how the will to do what's right can overcome even family ties.

It's hard to say that either side is wrong.

Thanks Trino. I don't know we can say it's conclusive based on that article. But it does paint a somewhat negative picture.

Perhaps for an under-staffed PD (Fargo anyway) - Moorhead is just small - there is no desire to expend time and resources following up on the volume of leads a reward would generate. Guessing again - but perhaps the cost-benefit analysis steers them away.

It might seem a callous approach - but in every business/organization the leadership has to prioritize as to how to apply limited resources.

I don't know how I feel about this. Just exploring possible explanations for why no reward has been offered.

It's an interesting question. I maybe put too much stock in the goodness of people. If someone finds they have info on a case - I'd like to believe the vast majority are dropping the dime. If a reward comes with it - so be it. It just doesn't feel like the primary motivation to me.

If it's my loved one, I'm pushing for it to happen. But there's a reason loved ones don't get to run the investigation.

Does anyone know: do rewards actually assist in solving crimes? There has to be a study done on the topic or a policy for LE.

My hunch - it's an outdated tool that is more of a PR move than actually useful in solving a case. I have a sense - opinion only - that it's a waste of time because I cannot imagine someone sitting on that kind of info only to be inspired once a reward is offered.

Ok - thinking out loud here - it COULD get a criminal to loosen his/her tongue and report on an acquaintance. No honor among thieves premise.

So, my rambling leads me back to - does anyone know what studies have shown or how LE views rewards?

In my opinion then, in the case of rewards, the reason it doesn't work is because: 1). The reward is RARELY enough money to overcome the fear of retaliation. 2). Often the rewards come worded so they seem unattainable.

These rewards need to come in six figures in order to move people to leave their love, loyalty and fear behind.

On another thread we were discussing this exact subject and I wrote that with all things in life, I've learned that leverage is the key. Whether it be money, threat of violence, overt niceness, shunning, whatever it may be. The fundamental core of getting someone to do something is leverage.

the key to it is finding just the right amount of leverage so that you are not expending more than you are receiving.

In a case like this we have to guess as to whatever force would be holding the person back, then overcome that force by using a greater leverage.

I use this principle when I go to buy a used car. This last time it all went swimmingly in my favor. Sometimes it doesn't because I can't find the leverage point.

what on earth? (sadly) I kind of forgot about this case / haven't checked on it in about a month, and surely thought there would be at least some more information about it, but nothing..??! At this point I feel like the family knows what happened and isn't wanting to police to release information, or that the case has already been solved and actually determined not to be a murder, and has been closed while avoiding the radar of the media (if they're even actively reporting on it anymore). If someone really did commit murder, they'd probably be long gone by now.

Tom was important!
Why his family and friends continue to stay mute is curious.
Tom Mattered! Even if his manner of death might be shameful for his friends and family.
We need to keep this on top. (but only out of respect... and keep the speculation out of it)

Not even sure what is up with LE in that area of the state... Unsolved Homicides are not something ND is accustomed with.... and we should never be. We are better than that.

I thought Big Brother is watching us.

Where are the cameras?

Where is the cell phone and other data info!

I don't think this will ever be solved at this rate. Son is home for the holidays and said he knows where and when to walk after dark, and mostly not to walk. Geeze, someone robbed the Wells Fargo in the Hornbachers in Moorhead yesterday in broad daylight. Not criticizing LE on that one, crime just seems to be ramping up.

Guess everyone at NDSU is gearing up for the big trip to here -- Frisco. I think they will find the DFW area safer at this point. And if something does happen they won't be waiting months for results. I just don't get that one.

I find it offensive that a friend of only the last couple years is touting himself as bestest friend ever to a sickening degree.

I find it offensive and apparently a few of Tom's early friends do as well that a friend of only the last couple years is touting himself as bestest friend ever to a sickening degree. What's the point? Just hungry for attention?

Good point.

Reminds me of the saying "me thinks he protests too much.." But like this: "Me thinks he professes his friendship too much." It's rather odd, too.

Wouldn't a "real friend" seek justice? Isn't that the last real act of friendship one can provide Tom with?

I haven't saw the word "JUSTICE" uttered on social media or anywhere else since the first week or two after Tom's body was found. In Andrew Sadeks's case, this is Tammy Sadek and the rest of us seek.

JUSTICE.

ANSWERS.

Anyone & everyone that knows him or his family shout it from the rooftops -- and, TECHNICALLY, we don't even know if it was murder or suicide.

In TOM's case, it IS a murder. The ME said it was so. Yet.. NDSU isn't talking about justice, the media isn't talking about justice, the citizens aren't talking about justice, LE bumbles odd, ambiguous statements about where they are in the case and utters blanket statements with nothing close to the word justice in them... But the most deafening silence is that of his friends and family.

SPEAK UP.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

This is your last chance to be a real friend to Tom. Don't let him down now.

Those tattoos aren't going to find justice for Tom but your calls to LE might put a fire under their butts.

Those bracelets that you wear aren't going to find justice for Tom but your letters to media to write stories about the case might.

Those pictures of you & Tom on FB OR Twitter aren't going to find justice for Tom but public pleas for information from friends and family might.

Your silence will NOT find justice for Tom but a reward might.

Happy New Year to all!
I think it's true that rewards don't really work very often, but what they will do is bring some attention back to a case..and that certainly couldn't hurt in this case. So sad to see this case just go so quiet, but I agree that nobody seems to be working to keep it in the forefront.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.c...ase-rewards-useful-others-can-create-problems

“It’s not the amount of money out there that encourages someone to make tip. It’s the ability to leave (an) anonymous tip, and not have a squad in front of their house,” Abrams said. “When you offer high rewards, it brings people out of the woodwork that don’t have credible information and may even lie to obtain the reward.”

Abrams said the organization goes to great lengths to keep tipsters anonymous, including a high-tech text messaging system that routes data through a Canadian contact-information scrubbing program.

Tips that generate an arrest can then produce rewards, but that process is kept private through a code number that is taken to a bank before the money is paid to a tipster.

“We also get many tips from inmates at jails and prisons,” Abrams said. “We’ve made payouts to jail accounts for people who just want money for smokes, but have information.”

Abrams stresses that Crime Stoppers must remain autonomous from law enforcement agencies to retain privacy.

Where is the anonymous tip line? Since it can work.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.c...ase-rewards-useful-others-can-create-problems

“It’s not the amount of money out there that encourages someone to make tip. It’s the ability to leave (an) anonymous tip, and not have a squad in front of their house,” Abrams said. “When you offer high rewards, it brings people out of the woodwork that don’t have credible information and may even lie to obtain the reward.”

Abrams said the organization goes to great lengths to keep tipsters anonymous, including a high-tech text messaging system that routes data through a Canadian contact-information scrubbing program.

Tips that generate an arrest can then produce rewards, but that process is kept private through a code number that is taken to a bank before the money is paid to a tipster.

“We also get many tips from inmates at jails and prisons,” Abrams said. “We’ve made payouts to jail accounts for people who just want money for smokes, but have information.”

Abrams stresses that Crime Stoppers must remain autonomous from law enforcement agencies to retain privacy.

Where is the anonymous tip line? Since it can work.

It's right here:

http://legacy.wday.com/event/article/id/30289/

We (Missouri) are playing Minnesota in the Citrus Bowl today. No doubt Tommy would have talked Santa into tickets to the game or glued to the TV set for the game. I suppose after all maybe he has the best seats in the stadium now.

JMO

That is terrific, but I highly doubt that most of the public (and especially this age group) is going to go searching for a February 2010 article on how to make an anonymous tip in this case. Why don't LE ask the media to put this info out with the next "Bearson update", and some radio coverage, and at NDSU through Yik Yak (or whatever it's called), and any other means NDSU uses to spread word to their students? His family and friends could spread the word through social media, and it could be added to the Facebook Memorial page for Tom as well.
Any harm in any of that?

That is terrific, but I highly doubt that most of the public (and especially this age group) is going to go searching for a February 2010 article on how to make an anonymous tip in this case. Why don't LE ask the media to put this info out with the next "Bearson update", and some radio coverage, and at NDSU through Yik Yak (or whatever it's called), and any other means NDSU uses to spread word to their students? His family and friends could spread the word through social media, and it could be added to the Facebook Memorial page for Tom as well.
Any harm in any of that?

No need for the public to search for any articles. When a crime is reported on the news, at the end of the report it's frequently stated "If you have any information about this crime or any other crime, you can anonymously contact Crimestoppers and you may be entitled to a reward". Ever heard of that? I've heard it many times.

His friends and family have remained silent and aren't making any effort to set up a reward fund for information. They obviously must have their reasons.

I find it offensive that a friend of only the last couple years is touting himself as bestest friend ever to a sickening degree.

Can you clarify what you are talking about here? These types of suggestive, ambiguous posts are very confusing.

No need for the public to search for any articles. When a crime is reported on the news, at the end of the report it's frequently stated "If you have any information about this crime or any other crime, you can anonymously contact Crimestoppers and you may be entitled to a reward". Ever heard of that? I've heard it many times.

His friends and family have remained silent and aren't making any effort to set up a reward fund for information. They obviously must have their reasons.

Let's take the last article for instance regarding the Tom Bearson case on Dec 22 by the Grand Forks Herald. Lt. Tory Jacobson of the Moorhead Police Department asked that the citizens help by contacting them with information. That would NOT be anonymous, and Crimestoppers are not mentioned AT ALL, as noted in your February 2010 article as being available at least back then almost five years ago. Not one media article on this case has mentioned a Crimestoppers of MN website or any availability of an anonymous toll-free tipline. Yes, I have heard that before, but not in this case, NOT ONCE.
LE in cooperation with Crimestoppers, does NOT require family or friends to set up a reward fund for an anonymous tipline, or to remind citizens of the availability. Asking citizens to call the Moorhead Police Department with information is exactly the opposite of anonymous, which is exactly what started this dialogue from my previous post. As suggested by experts "Crime Stoppers must remain autonomous from law enforcement agencies to retain privacy" and, “It’s not the amount of money out there that encourages someone to make tip. It’s the ability to leave (an) anonymous tip, and not have a squad in front of their house,” as noted in article:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member