NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in to see if there has been an update in the search for CE.

Is there a feeling that since CE's body has not been recovered that perhaps it is more likely that this was a voluntary walk-away?

Just checking in to see if there has been an update in the search for CE.

Is there a feeling that since CE's body has not been recovered that perhaps it is more likely that this was a voluntary walk-away?

For me personally, as time goes on I think there's less chance of a voluntary walk-away. I'm praying I'm wrong though.

If his body did go into the water of the canal that runs between Woodley Park Road and Stable Club Road seen here on Google Maps, and was washed away by the flash flood it absolutely would have been found by now. The edges of the canal are smooth and even if the canal was flooded to the top, his body would be stopped at the next intersection where the water goes through a pipe under the road or would have washed up over the banks.
If he crossed over the two roads and went into the small body of water at Carpenter Park, his body would have surfaced by now, four weeks later.
This area was searched by a cadaver dog early on and the dog had an unconvincing hit. The handler and dog returned a couple of days ago with no hit and the search was called off.
I am firmly on the side of a walk-away, based on the reported argument and the fact that no one has come forward to say who it was with or what it was about. He reportedly avoided letting his wife know truthfully where he was headed so she couldn't come pick him up. He told her he was headed for Kimball, 50 miles due south, and at the same time he asked a friend to come pick him up and said he was walking toward Torrington. The friend could/would not come get him.

In my opinion, he did not want to go back and spend the night in Gering, because he only needed to call his wife and say come get me we are going back up to Moorcroft, and he didn't.

In my opinion, I think the content and the context of the argument that afternoon into that evening is the key to his disappearance.
MOO MOO MOO. Besides I am a forever optimist.

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree, except that he is from a strong and close-knit family. He would call his Mom, I think.

My feeling is that he has passed. Hopefully I am wrong, because no matter what was wrong that day, it can be dealt with if he is alive.
Dead, well, it's all over, no return, no thinking it through.

It's been over 4 weeks now.

when i first saw this i did not expect for chance to still be missing 4 weeks later. i assumed it was a voluntary walk away, cool down and come back couple days later or at least when he found out he was reported missing! i feel absolutely horrible for his wife and new baby that they still have no resolution, and no idea what happened.

If his body did go into the water of the canal that runs between Woodley Park Road and Stable Club Road seen here on Google Maps, and was washed away by the flash flood it absolutely would have been found by now. The edges of the canal are smooth and even if the canal was flooded to the top, his body would be stopped at the next intersection where the water goes through a pipe under the road or would have washed up over the banks.
If he crossed over the two roads and went into the small body of water at Carpenter Park, his body would have surfaced by now, four weeks later.
This area was searched by a cadaver dog early on and the dog had an unconvincing hit. The handler and dog returned a couple of days ago with no hit and the search was called off.
I am firmly on the side of a walk-away, based on the reported argument and the fact that no one has come forward to say who it was with or what it was about. He reportedly avoided letting his wife know truthfully where he was headed so she couldn't come pick him up. He told her he was headed for Kimball, 50 miles due south, and at the same time he asked a friend to come pick him up and said he was walking toward Torrington. The friend could/would not come get him.

In my opinion, he did not want to go back and spend the night in Gering, because he only needed to call his wife and say come get me we are going back up to Moorcroft, and he didn't.

In my opinion, I think the content and the context of the argument that afternoon into that evening is the key to his disappearance.
MOO MOO MOO. Besides I am a forever optimist.
I am nor sure if I can post screen shots here? It's about the argument. Also, it may help for you folks to check out the star herald page on FB and find posts about finding CE. There you may find answers to questions you ask from family members like his wife and sister in law themselves. Then will you also have more questions after.

I am nor sure if I can post screen shots here? It's about the argument. Also, it may help for you folks to check out the star herald page on FB and find posts about finding CE. There you may find answers to questions you ask from family members like his wife and sister in law themselves. Then will you also have more questions after.

No I don't believe that screenshots are allowed but I will go and check out that info, thank you!

Ah yes, I think these rumours were mentioned before, though it may have been deleted as they are for now just rumours which have not been substantiated. I don't know if there is any truth to them but I am a great believer in "there's no smoke without fire" so who knows. It would certainly explain some things and the family hasn't offered any other reasons for the disagreement that happened.

Ah yes, I think these rumours were mentioned before, though it may have been deleted as they are for now just rumours which have not been substantiated. I don't know if there is any truth to them but I am a great believer in "there's no smoke without fire" so who knows. It would certainly explain some things and the family hasn't offered any other reasons for the disagreement that happened.
He was known to "walk it off" after an upset, which is a healthy thing to do, but this night he seems to be intent, at least early on, to not return or be picked up by family. He reached out to friends instead. He knew he had to be in Moorcroft on Monday morning to start his next job.
Much of the timeline reported early on in the case by family seems to be contradictory and has been removed from various sources. There has been total shut down on any reports of who the argument was with, how long it went on and what it was about, but it seems to be the basis of his "walking it off" and the basis of his resistance to going back to her grandparent's home. It has to be a significant consideration.

I, for one, just don't have enough information to come down hard on either voluntary walk away or injury/death. Actually, it may have started out with walk away and ended with injury/death.

I sort of agree with you Rosie. The family's story has been .... incomplete, at best. Its a sad situation for a new born baby.
No doubt there are some very personal details they probably don’t consider appropriate for outside their family. I don’t blame them for that.

So very sad. I always feel a grip when I hear of a missing young man and water. It’s like a moth to light; sadly.

Amateur opinion and speculation

No doubt there are some very personal details they probably don’t consider appropriate for outside their family. I don’t blame them for that.

So very sad. I always feel a grip when I hear of a missing young man and water. It’s like a moth to light; sadly.

ITA about the personal family information. It is an observation I made and not a complaint for sure. Because even if we knew, it still wouldn't tell us what happened.

Google Maps
Is that canal ever dry so that it could be the ditch, CE said he was walking in? Could he have been caught in a sudden surge of water during the strong storm that passed through?
I can't tell from the google maps view which direction the canal flows, what is up stream or down stream.

Even if he had been drinking at the grandparent's home earlier in the evening, this was 3 to 4 hours later, wouldn't he have been more sober then?
The canal wouldn’t have been dry, so that wouldn’t have been the ditch he was walking in. The Canal flows east, goes south and back north and east again to a large pipe. If he walked into the canal, he could be anywhere along the canal, and it is several miles long. The storm hit at 9:08pm and was very heavy rain and flash flooding for approx 30min and then let up. The City streets in gering were flooded, so if he in fact walked into the canal, it would have likely swept him right up.

Welcome to WS @Midwest37 !! It sounds like you live in Gering.
He told the friend that he called for a ride that he was walking in a ditch. If the canal that runs along side Stable Club would not have been dry, do you have an opinion as to what ditch he may have been referring to?

Any hints of "trouble in paradise"?
I don’t think the details of any potential marital squabbles, or family squabbles matter at this point. That’s their own private family business. What does matter is bringing him home.

So many threads with guys ending up in the water. Sadly, this seems like another. This fellow may surprise me and pop up elsewhere, but unlikely. How happy I would be if I am wrong.

I always appreciate your posts Paul. I just think the family deserves their privacy. None of my beeswax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member