NE NE - Jason Jolkowski -19 - Omaha - 13 Jun 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Great video above, Alleykins - Thanks very much for posting. I watched the whole thing. I haven't seen this before & appreciate the "new" look at this case. I completely understand that the route in the video is not necessarily the route JJ would have taken to walk to the H.S. - but at least it gives you some idea of the area/locale. Some observations/points:

The area where JJ lived is extremely normal looking - just a regular American suburb. Though the disappearance happened 20+ years ago, I doubt that anything extremely substantive has changed to make the neighborhood look significantly different - other than possibly some new home construction, home renovations, landscaping, trees getting larger & others possibly being cut down/trimmed, etc.

Before seeing this video, I hadn't known that JJ had volunteered to walk the long way to Fazoli's when asked to come in early - and that this led to his co-worker offering to pick him up so he wouldn't have to walk that far. IMHO this is important - because it shows how conscientious & responsible JJ felt about the job. Going along with this - given that he was apparently going to leave soon for another job somewhere else...it sounded like he still wanted to make a good impression @ Fazoli's on his last day(s)/week(s).

As the video mentions, JJ being called in early to work was not at all odd/unusual. I myself used to work @ a similar restaurant job as a teen, and being called in early/on your day off was a semi-frequent occurrence. This was due to needing to cover for someone who couldn't come in/didn't show up, etc.

Last edited:
Part 2:

According to the video, since JJ's car was in the shop (due to hail damage repairs), his dad was planning to drive him to Fazoli's after he himself got home from work...given that JJ had initially been planning on working his regular shift that evening.

This video emphasized to me (again) the possibility that no one in any of the houses saw JJ get into a car - if that's what led to his vanishing. I.e., the houses are typically not that close together; some of them are not that close to the street; there are also some vacant lots on the route (though it's not clear if there were any vacant lots on the exact route he walked); etc.

It was interesting to see a better view of the H.S. & the gas station where his co-worker went to call his house after he didn't show up. I.e., without a cell-phone, she needed to use a local pay-phone. Sadly, this just emphasizes the length of time since JJ's disappearance. I.e., back in 2001 cell phones were not extremely common-place & pay-phones were still around.

JJ's disappearance was on a Wednesday. Not that relevant, just that it was a regular week-day/work-day.

Last edited:
@Sonny Crockett
Not sure if you knew this, but Google maps has previous years' street views you can select. 2008 is the earliest date I've found for parts Jason's neighborhood. Not every street goes back that far in his neighborhood, though. Most of the changes I've seen are in the landscaping.

I stumbled across this YouTube video about Jason's case, published on 08/01/2023, which I don't recall being posted here yet. If so, I apologize for the repeat post.
Great find, and very well done. Even though this might have been filmed more recently, they showed a neighbor pulling in is garbage cans, which was the neighbor that saw Jason leave that day. He was at the memorial service a couple years ago at the skate park.

I like that they took the time to walk the possible route. It has not changed a lot in 20 years.

Studebaker,

Was there a tunnel near the Benson High School area that went under maple or another main thoroughfare?
There used to be, but it would not have been used by Jason for getting where he wanted to go, and I believe it has now been closed. It ran under the intersection of Radial Highway and 52nd Street. I'll have to check on that next time I'm around there.

Thank you for letting me know, Studebkr. I asked not because Jason would have gone through that tunnel to get to the school but because on another forum, a person gives a compelling account that they saw Jason that day. They say that they saw Jason near walking where the tunnel was and that he was in front of the gas station (they mention that the tunnel was there before they built the bridge over Maple). Based on the location you gave, that appears to be right where the gas station shown in the video above is located (at the 17:00 mark), right across from the school. The more I think about it, the more I believe this person really did see Jason.

Great find, and very well done. Even though this might have been filmed more recently, they showed a neighbor pulling in is garbage cans, which was the neighbor that saw Jason leave that day. He was at the memorial service a couple years ago at the skate park.

I like that they took the time to walk the possible route. It has not changed a lot in 20 yea
Thank you for letting me know, Studebkr. I asked not because Jason would have gone through that tunnel to get to the school but because on another forum, a person gives a compelling account that they saw Jason that day. They say that they saw Jason near walking where the tunnel was and that he was in front of the gas station (they mention that the tunnel was there before they built the bridge over Maple). Based on the location you gave, that appears to be right where the gas station shown in the video above is located (at the 17:00 mark), right across from the school. The more I think about it, the more I believe this person really did see Jason.

Thank you for your comments. His interest in women, or lack of is something I've been curious on for some time.
Possible to share more on what you've found to indicate he was interested in women?
(And I'm not saying he wasn't... Just interested FOR HIS CASE because I haven't seen the usual "He went to Prom with so and so." Or, "he dated Marcia for 3 years.
Kind of been....
From everything I have read, here and elsewhere, Jason was a shy and unassuming young man. He also had a slight, for lack of better word, learning issue but at the same time was smart and kind. If this had been a female with these traits we could easily not question her romantic preferences, even a 19 yr old female. Some of us didnt have much luck with the opposite sex when that young lol. I think Jason was just vulnerable because of his 'helper' type disposition, and that is why he was targeted. I don't think preferences even come into the equation.

I agree, @Andreee
I don't believe his sexual preference/identity played into his disappearance as much as some are speculating or putting an emphasis on, if at all. Not saying someone else's didn't, like a possible perpetrator's, but, as for Jason's, I think it bears very little on this case.

Wow, I've never heard that re. JJ being spotted on the day he disappeared. Still waiting to hear whether the skull found in a park a short drive from Omaha could be JJ's or not.
Possibly already posted.. assuming same uid.
May 2023 rbbm
''Experts believe the skeletal remains found two weeks ago in rural Douglas County are those of an adult man.

Forensic anthropologists preliminarily believe that a skull found near 216th Street and Rainwood Road on March 14 belonged to an adult male "of European descent," according to a press release from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators are carrying out DNA and dental analysis on the remains, the release said.
The remains were reportedly located by a person who had been driving by the area. While there were no apparent signs of criminal activity, the remains may have been there for an extended period of time, the Sheriff's Office previously said. ''

fwiw..
''As a remote, secluded place, there has been crime at Hummel Park. Bodies have been buried there. The following are crimes where I could find evidence.''

Last edited:
gas station (they mention that the tunnel was there before they built the bridge over Maple). Based on the location you gave, that appears to be right where the gas station shown in the video above is located (at the 17:00 mark), right across from the school.
I'm very familiar with that gas station. It has been a Standard Oil, BP, and now an NP Mart. I believe the tunnel started there, and took the shortest distance under the intersection over the the apartments. You can see it well on Google Maps if you search for 52nd & NW Radial Hwy, Omaha, NE.

I had not heard this account, but it's where he would go if he decided he wanted a snack, soda, etc. It would take him about 2-3 blocks past the parking lot where I would think his ride was waiting. I wouldn't think he'd go over there unless he thought he had time.

The tunnel was deemed unsafe, and closed up. The new bridge is about 3 blocks to the West. It wasn't so much that the tunnel needed repair. People were afraid to use it when alone. There had been some incidents here and there.

There have been many dismissed accounts of JJ sightings too. The ones in Lincoln & Mahoney State Park were probably a cousin he has that looks a lot like him and was going to UNL at the time.

I sure could see him stopping in there for a Mountain Dew (that would be my choice) if it was hot, and he thought he had time.

''As a remote, secluded place, there has been crime at Hummel Park. Bodies have been buried there. The following are crimes where I could find evidence.''
Hummel Park is set in some river bluffs North of town. There is day camp for students going on there, disc golfing.

At the turn of the century, it had some dark things going on. Many racial motivated lynchings took place. Over the years, being dark and quiet at night, bodies got dumped there. The most recent famous case was a missing grade school student named Amber Harris. A neighbor had his eyes on her, and knabbed her after the school bus dropped her off.

Because of the parks past, many ghost hunters go up there to take reading, look around, etc. It was one of those paranormal groups that found Amber's body.

I sure could see him stopping in there for a Mountain Dew (that would be my choice) if it was hot, and he thought he had time.
This was my thought, too. I wonder if either his brother or the neighbor know for sure what time Jason left or they were just estimating. And when exactly was he supposed to meet his co-worker at the school?

I checked google maps for the gas station in question, but wasn't able to identify where the location to the tunnel was.

From the Lincoln Journal Star... (subscription)

Authorities to close Omaha pedestrian tunnel

Omaha authorities plan to close a pedestrian tunnel in a north midtown area that has become known as a hangout for criminals and vandals.

• The Associated Press
  • Nov 18, 2008
MAHA — Omaha authorities plan to close a pedestrian tunnel in a north midtown area that has become known as a hangout for criminals and vandals.

City traffic engineer Todd Pfitzer says the tunnel, which runs underneath Northwest Radial Highway and 52nd Street, will be permanently closed next spring.
Pfitzer says a recent study found the tunnel is rarely used and difficult to maintain. He says it will be filled with sand.

The city plans improvements at the street level for a new pedestrian crossing.

... and that is all I could scrap off of the page. No pictures. Lots of ads...

That as on this site are getting bad too. They keep interrupting my typing.

Possibly already posted.. assuming same uid.
May 2023 rbbm
''Experts believe the skeletal remains found two weeks ago in rural Douglas County are those of an adult man.

Forensic anthropologists preliminarily believe that a skull found near 216th Street and Rainwood Road on March 14 belonged to an adult male "of European descent," according to a press release from the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators are carrying out DNA and dental analysis on the remains, the release said.
The remains were reportedly located by a person who had been driving by the area. While there were no apparent signs of criminal activity, the remains may have been there for an extended period of time, the Sheriff's Office previously said. ''

fwiw..
I think I have read these details before, but it is good to post it here again even if so! Thanks. Sometimes details get too far back. Interesting to read about this park, I hadn't seen that several crimes were associated with it. So the investigators think the skull could be of European origin. Well, it will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is. The park is about an 18 minute drive from Omaha. We can only hope for answers as to who this skull belongs to.

I think I have read these details before, but it is good to post it here again even if so! Thanks. Sometimes details get too far back. Interesting to read about this park, I hadn't seen that several crimes were associated with it. So the investigators think the skull could be of European origin. Well, it will be interesting to see what the outcome of this is. The park is about an 18 minute drive from Omaha. We can only hope for answers as to who this skull belongs to.
I realized awhile after writing this post that it was a different skull I had been reading about some time back, found in or near a river about a half hour drive from Omaha. However, in reading the latest on that one, it was actually a jawbone that forensics think was from prehistoric times. So we can rule that one out!

From the Lincoln Journal Star... (subscription)

Authorities to close Omaha pedestrian tunnel

Omaha authorities plan to close a pedestrian tunnel in a north midtown area that has become known as a hangout for criminals and vandals.

• The Associated Press
  • Nov 18, 2008
MAHA — Omaha authorities plan to close a pedestrian tunnel in a north midtown area that has become known as a hangout for criminals and vandals.

City traffic engineer Todd Pfitzer says the tunnel, which runs underneath Northwest Radial Highway and 52nd Street, will be permanently closed next spring.
Pfitzer says a recent study found the tunnel is rarely used and difficult to maintain. He says it will be filled with sand.

The city plans improvements at the street level for a new pedestrian crossing.

... and that is all I could scrap off of the page. No pictures. Lots of ads...

That as on this site are getting bad too. They keep interrupting my typing.
I hadn't realized that tunnel was so close to Benson high school. I also read elsewhere someone claims they saw JJ in front of the nearby gas station and their account sounded somewhat reasonable. I'm speculating, but perhaps JJ had walked by the school on the sidewalk (and the cameras didn't catch him) and didn't see his ride, but had to use the restroom at the gas stn. which was only a five minute walk away. Maybe he ran into a nefarious character nearby, being it was near the tunnel. I'm taking a bit of leeway here, but it just would make more sense to me than JJ being lured into a house on his walk through the residential area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator
Back