GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BBM - no cause of death but someone must have told the media?

Dickason children were strangled with cable ties | Citypress
September 19, 2021 rbbm.
SA mom sent for psychiatric evaluation following alleged murder of three daughters
''Timaru police described the crime as isolated, while a police statement read: “The investigation into this tragedy is still in its very early stages, but we can confirm that nobody else is being sought in relation to the deaths of the three children.”

''However, according to several reports, it is alleged that the children were strangled with cable ties. Graham, Lauren and their children moved to New Zealand last month and had been in Timaru for just a week after coming out of New Zealand’s strict managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).''

I’m trying to picture what hell it would be trapped with 3 babies and husband in a hotel room for 2 weeks.

Other families coped ok.
Did they find themselves in a house with no food, no clothing, no car and was the house furnished?

Was NZ in lockdown and they couldn’t leave the house to get essentials?

Nothing other than a severe mental health disorder can help me find a reason.

Where did the cable ties come from?

were the children playing with them?

They are a moving house kind of thing I guess - if you're setting up a tv and entertainment area or a work area with a computer or even a kitchen with cooking appliances, some people make the cables all neat;

[...]Orthopaedic surgeon Graham Dickason and his wife, Lauren, a fellow doctor, also had the 'prettiest and neatest house', said a woman who used to work with them at Pretoria East Hospital. ''[...]

Do not underestimate the amount of stress there is with an intercontinental move. I’ve done it three times, twice with children. Unless you’re very prepared for it and resilient, the drop in living standards and absence of a support network is very hard indeed.

Adding this on top of someone who sounds perfectionist, depressive and stressed with raising three small children then a psychotic break is far more likely to occur.

I’d expect she’d have some paediatric sedatives on hand, the time difference between SAfrica and NZ is considerable.

but cable ties - that is another level of cruelty altogether.

ETA: Apparently she was on some form of chronic medication that she stopped. Sounds likely that it was an antidepressant or other psychoactive med.

SA children murdered in NZ were strangled with cable ties - report

Last edited:
Do not underestimate the amount of stress there is with an intercontinental move. I’ve done it three times, twice with children. Unless you’re very prepared for it and resilient, the drop in living standards and absence of a support network is very hard indeed.

Adding this on top of someone who sounds perfectionist, depressive and stressed with raising three small children then a psychotic break is far more likely to occur.

I’d expect she’d have some paediatric sedatives on hand, the time difference between SAfrica and NZ is considerable.

but cable ties - that is another level of cruelty altogether.

ETA: Apparently she was on some form of chronic medication that she stopped. Sounds likely that it was an antidepressant or other psychoactive med.

SA children murdered in NZ were strangled with cable ties - report
Rbbm.
BINGO, imo, speculation.

Woah what an article from The Citizen South Africa. I'm a little suspicious of the credibility of either the writer or the 'doctor and former collegue' quoted. I guess because it reads as a bit sensationalized or dramatic. Cultural difference? Should we continue to be sceptical of the cable tie rumour?

Is everything there originally from the City Press article that I think first broke the cable tie story? It's the same one dotr first posted I think;

Its behind a paywall. Is anyone a subscriber?

Continued...

So breaking it down;

The former colleague, also a doctor, said Lauren had used chronic medication, but stopped taking it out of fear it would affect their emigration application. It is not known what condition Lauren was taking the medication for.
New Zealand has strict requirements for immigrants and using chronic medication could count against you.

The rules:
A4.10 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for residence) (26/11/2012)

Continued...

The former colleague also said that being placed in quarantine when the family first arrived in New Zealand was traumatic.

“The immigration process to New Zealand is extremely traumatic. I understand the place where the Dickason family had to spend their quarantine was basically like in a prison. You don’t see anyone, your food is delivered to your door and you are only let out for about an hour a day.” The person said that the stress combined with Lauren not taking her medication could have led to the tragic murders of the children

Locations: Facility locations | Managed isolation and quarantine

They're all hotels.

Even under quarantine rules staying in a hotel for 2 weeks is not quite the same as being in a prison dude.

I don't see anything on there that to my knowledge stopping would cause you to become homicidal, other than:

"Major psychiatric illness and/or addiction including any psychiatric condition that has required hospitalisation and/or where significant support is required"

But if she is this ill - so unwell that they faced being rejected by immigration because of the probability she would need care and cost money - how would she be allowed to be practicing as a doctor in South Africa?

Was she going to be allowed to practice medicine in New Zealand? No one has mentioned her having employment just the husband.

Someone else posted this article about upcoming vigils, but I can't find the post now or remember who it was sorry. I don't understand why if it was deleted. Anyway before I log out here are some photos to give us hope.

1632024363619.jpg

1632024363619.jpg

1632024363619.jpg

Timaru homicide: Candlelight vigil and balloon release to be held for young victims

I don't see anything on there that to my knowledge stopping would cause you to become homicidal, other than:

"Major psychiatric illness and/or addiction including any psychiatric condition that has required hospitalisation and/or where significant support is required"

But if she is this ill - so unwell that they faced being rejected by immigration because of the probability she would need care and cost money - how would she be allowed to be practicing as a doctor in South Africa?

Was she going to be allowed to practice medicine in New Zealand? No one has mentioned her having employment just the husband.

She was not in practice as a solo practitioner, but worked as an OR assistant to her husband who is an orthopaedic surgeon.

In any event, to register to practice in NZ as a PCP would mean resitting exams and redoing an internship. That’s a tough road. Her husband did not need to do this as he is the equivalent of fellowship-trained.

Wow!

Considering there were fertility problems could she have also had a condition like endometriosis? Perhaps opiods figured into it for pain? Back that up with all types of hormonal issues and antidepressants?

Not condoning strangling your children, but if those medications were stopped? That'd be an awful kick with no backup help.

New Zealand does not play I see that. That's unbelievable to me coming from the States. Especially Philadelphia. You can shoot up fentanyl in front of a cop. No problem. Pass the methadone clinic you can buy Celexa or the like off somebody in line.

No matter the combination of stress, medications, quarantine and lack of support there's three gorgeous girls murdered. At the hands of their mother.

Woah what an article from The Citizen South Africa. I'm a little suspicious of the credibility of either the writer or the 'doctor and former collegue' quoted. I guess because it reads as a bit sensationalized or dramatic. Cultural difference? Should we continue to be sceptical of the cable tie rumour?

Is everything there originally from the City Press article that I think first broke the cable tie story? It's the same one dotr first posted I think;

Its behind a paywall. Is anyone a subscriber?
I think we should be sceptical re the cable ties until there is further information.
No source in NZ has remotely hinted at cause of death.

I can’t see this case ever going to trial.
Even though it is extremely difficult in NZ to fit the legal definition of insanity as a defence to a murder charge. I think Lauren ticks all the boxes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back