GUILTY New Zealand - Dr. Lauren Dickason, 40, charged w/killing her 3 young daughters, Timaru, 16 Sep 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can’t see this case ever going to trial.
Even though it is extremely difficult in NZ to fit the legal definition of insanity as a defence to a murder charge. I think Lauren ticks all the boxes.

I very much doubt it'll go to trial, either and I would be in agreement for it not to - athough abhorrent, there are extenuating circumstances with her state of mind at the time.
This is the 2nd South African family to have had this tragedy happen to them.
The other case was in the UK in 2014.
Newly arrived in the UK from South Africa, mother, killed her 3 year old twin boys and 4 year old daughter. All three had suffered from a muscle weakening debilitating physical condition and needed ongoing care. It's said that the mother was under intolerable strain and was suffering from depression and was overwhelmed.

Her husband, an Investment banker, stood by her afterwards.
She pleaded guilty to manslaughter by way of diminished responsibility and was detained under a hospital order.

Both cases so similar, heart breaking.

There is/are never justifiable reasons to take the lives of your children ( or anyone else too), but no matter what some people will say about having no sympathy for the mum and seeing the whole situation as black and white , I want to give my own opinion and say that there are ‘grey’ areas.
I am the mother of twins and I had no support whatsoever other than my then husband and there were times that I felt so desperate and overwhelmed and without sleep because as one twin slept, the other woke and vice versa and I didn’t aldi have to cope with a move to another country and quarantine to boot ( albeit I did have an accident that left my paralysed when the twins were 18 months old and unable to walk and having to learn again ). I don’t care what anyone says, unless you have experienced having multiple births and then you throw into the mix a lack of support and a new country etc plus the possibility of PPD or PND as it’s often referred to and being overwhelmed and your thoughts racing and feeling inadequate and your mind being so out of control and not knowing what is going on around you , tending to your children on automatic pilot …
Plus I also want to add - I don’t know if mum had IVF but I’ve read many articles that have alluded to it . Although I wouldn’t have changed my decision to have IVF , I wish that someone had told me about the negative effects that the IVF process can have on your mindset. I say this because in order to have IVF, over 3 weeks , you take drugs that put you through the menopause ( in just 3 WEEKS!!) so that the DRS can take over your body artificially. This left me so out of control and I didn’t know what was happening to me . But it didn’t end there, it continued right after they put my body allegedly back to the way it was after the successful IVF ( which I will be forever grateful for), but it didn’t put my mind back to the way it was and I have NEVER felt the same since , in fact it got worse. My hormones have never been able to be totally regulated as they once were and the negative mental effect has been drastic and my husband and I ended up divorced. So although it’s a desperate desperate tragedy, as the saying goes, walk a mile in this ladies shoes and then comment because clearly, from what I am reading, she’s not done an Andrea Yates, it appears that she has lost control of her mind, temporary insanity , due to a multitude of factors but I wouldn’t be surprised if she has undergone IVF, that that has contributed to it too. We judge with our rational mind as outsiders but the likelihood is that when she committed these murders, she wasn’t thinking with a rational mind . I don’t really recall a lot of the first couple of years with my twins because of the stressors I underwent and I’m not saying that this gives her an excuse , it doesn’t, AT ALL, but we have to consider the whole picture as to how this terrible tragedy happened . God bless you little children, may you RIP

[...]Plus I also want to add - I don’t know if mum had IVF but I’ve read many articles that have alluded to it . Although I wouldn’t have changed my decision to have IVF , I wish that someone had told me about the negative effects that the IVF process can have on your mindset. I say this because in order to have IVF, over 3 weeks , you take drugs that put you through the menopause ( in just 3 WEEKS!!) so that the DRS can take over your body artificially. This left me so out of control and I didn’t know what was happening to me . But it didn’t end there, it continued right after they put my body allegedly back to the way it was after the successful IVF ( which I will be forever grateful for), but it didn’t put my mind back to the way it was and I have NEVER felt the same since , in fact it got worse. My hormones have never been able to be totally regulated as they once were and the negative mental effect has been drastic and my husband and I ended up divorced. [...]
Thank you for sharing this. I did not know IVF can have that effect but it makes total sense to me. Women say the same thing about pregnancy. I have never experienced either, but I have been through several hormonal upheavals and that is exactly what I say about them; that I have never felt the same since. Puberty was one that every single person reading this thread has probably gone through also. Hormones are immensly powerful.

She was not in practice as a solo practitioner, but worked as an OR assistant to her husband who is an orthopaedic surgeon.

In any event, to register to practice in NZ as a PCP would mean resitting exams and redoing an internship. That’s a tough road. Her husband did not need to do this as he is the equivalent of fellowship-trained.

So moving to new zealand meant losing her home, family, friends, colleagues, nanny, cleaner, gardener, routine, some kind of medication, job, and her career?

Why did they do it?
I know South Africa is a dangerous hole at the moment, but they lived in a secured, gated estate - life doesn't sound that bad there.
They were planning and organising this move for years.

nothing makes sense.

Ways to do something:

Candlelight Vigil
Outside the home on Queen St, Timaru, (Canterbury, South Island,) New Zealand
Thursday the 23rd September 2021 at 7pm / 19:00 NZST (UTC+12)

Internet - there are plans to stream it for family in South Africa. No news at the moment if there will be a public webcast. (please post an update if you hear details)
( Timezone converter: Time Zone Converter – Time Difference Calculator )

Balloon Release
'Caroline Bay', New Zealand (don't have exact details - please post if you know if this is Caroline Bay Beach or Caroline Bay Park etc)
Saturday the 25th September 2021 at 2pm / 14:00 NZST (GMT+12)

Internet - no mention

Hampers of Hope / Jacqueline Harris
Facebook Groups
(it's a private group, i can't see inside)
Do they have a postal address for mailing items?

Go Fund Me / Jean Van Eeden
(please be cautious as I do not know if this has been verified by Go Fund Me or if it is legitimately for the family by one of their actual friends)
https://www..com/f/worst-crisis-imaginable?qid=32ee3125637b86df0c10c250211bb07e

If you know of another way we can help please let us know. Including international options please.

but cable ties - that is another level of cruelty altogether.

SA children murdered in NZ were strangled with cable ties - report

These must've been quite long cable ties to go around a child's neck, certainly much bigger than the normal ones you have in your home to keep the cables from the TV and computers tidy.

Also, how did she hold the children down long enough to get the ties on and tie them tight? She must have done it while they were all sleeping?!

All 3 of them too.....she didn't stop at just one.

And she did it while her husband was out of the house.

So there was a certain amount of thought and pre-meditation - it wasn't a quick 'snap moment' thing either.

Jeez, this is horrifying.

Last edited:
These must've been quite long cable ties to go around a child's neck, certainly much bigger than the normal ones you have in your home to keep the cables from the TV and computers tidy.[...]
My mum had the same query. they do get manufactured in a huge variety of sizes. they also get sold in variety packs.
but it occured to me that you can join the shorter ones together to make longer lengths. i've done it when i haven't had the right length.
if this rumor turns out to be true, i don't know if i'll ever be able to use a cable tie again.

So there was a certain amount of thought and pre-meditation - it wasn't a quick 'snap moment' thing either.
Jeez, this is horrifying.
^this
how does this go with insanity?

all right i'm out. bye.

There is/are never justifiable reasons to take the lives of your children ( or anyone else too), but no matter what some people will say about having no sympathy for the mum and seeing the whole situation as black and white , I want to give my own opinion and say that there are ‘grey’ areas.
I am the mother of twins and I had no support whatsoever other than my then husband and there were times that I felt so desperate and overwhelmed and without sleep because as one twin slept, the other woke and vice versa and I didn’t aldi have to cope with a move to another country and quarantine to boot ( albeit I did have an accident that left my paralysed when the twins were 18 months old and unable to walk and having to learn again ). I don’t care what anyone says, unless you have experienced having multiple births and then you throw into the mix a lack of support and a new country etc plus the possibility of PPD or PND as it’s often referred to and being overwhelmed and your thoughts racing and feeling inadequate and your mind being so out of control and not knowing what is going on around you , tending to your children on automatic pilot …
Plus I also want to add - I don’t know if mum had IVF but I’ve read many articles that have alluded to it . Although I wouldn’t have changed my decision to have IVF , I wish that someone had told me about the negative effects that the IVF process can have on your mindset. I say this because in order to have IVF, over 3 weeks , you take drugs that put you through the menopause ( in just 3 WEEKS!!) so that the DRS can take over your body artificially. This left me so out of control and I didn’t know what was happening to me . But it didn’t end there, it continued right after they put my body allegedly back to the way it was after the successful IVF ( which I will be forever grateful for), but it didn’t put my mind back to the way it was and I have NEVER felt the same since , in fact it got worse. My hormones have never been able to be totally regulated as they once were and the negative mental effect has been drastic and my husband and I ended up divorced. So although it’s a desperate desperate tragedy, as the saying goes, walk a mile in this ladies shoes and then comment because clearly, from what I am reading, she’s not done an Andrea Yates, it appears that she has lost control of her mind, temporary insanity , due to a multitude of factors but I wouldn’t be surprised if she has undergone IVF, that that has contributed to it too. We judge with our rational mind as outsiders but the likelihood is that when she committed these murders, she wasn’t thinking with a rational mind . I don’t really recall a lot of the first couple of years with my twins because of the stressors I underwent and I’m not saying that this gives her an excuse , it doesn’t, AT ALL, but we have to consider the whole picture as to how this terrible tragedy happened . God bless you little children, may you RIP
I wish I could give you a hundred likes.
I have no doubt Lauren loved her children dearly.
I think the reality of living in NZ was not how she thought it would be, we dont even know if her husband was in managed isolation with her or was she alone with 3 children.
We don’t even know if she had a car to take eldest daughter to school.
Most of us probably would have coped better, because we aren’t used to having nanny’s , gardeners and domestic help.
I dont envy her husband either, what a huge decision he has to make.

So moving to new zealand meant losing her home, family, friends, colleagues, nanny, cleaner, gardener, routine, some kind of medication, job, and her career?

I too moved from SA (also as a doctor). One does start over. From a big house, with helpers to an apartment and doing it yourself - your reasons must be sound, for you. For me - I’d been hijacked and shot at - I couldn’t face living there for a second longer. I happily gave up the ‘stuff’.

But it is a complete and total change, and it is HARD. I’ve been away for 25 years now and am about to retire. Certainly not in the lifestyle I would have had there, but for me there is no replacement for the peace and safety I have here. It is not for everyone and many people do go back, often in the first 6 months.

I can see how the sudden need to take care of 3 little ones in a very confined space, with no help and little sleep (jetlag and kids is another thing entirely) would be a potential final straw if your coping mechanisms weren’t on top form.

For me the surprise is that they, as a family and doctors , did not anticipate that this would be very difficult and a potential risk for someone like the mum. By the time you’re there and have sold everything you had it must feel like a commitment that can’t be reversed - hopeless even. A cataclysmic misjudgment as it turns out.

Life-changing for everyone even peripherally involved. Everything thrown away for a dream that you didn’t think through all the way in the two years you took to plan this. Truly tragic.

All i can think of at the moment, is that the combination of high stress jobs as doctors during covid, having 2 year old twins and a six year old not in school, moving to another country, just coming out of quarantine, all without their usual nanny who had been with the children since birth - and maybe even some of the insecurities that sometimes strike those turning 40 years old...
imo, speculation.

I was thinking that the mother was having issues (whether marital or otherwise) and they moved because they thought a change would improve things.

While people do "snap", most of the time there are plenty of signs before they do. I find it doubtful her symptoms were hidden from her husband. What was going on in that home? How much did the husband/father know about his wife's state of mind? No doubt he never questioned his daughters' safety but if she was this far gone, to murder her babies, he had to have known that his wife wasn't processing things normally anymore (My surmise).

rbbm.
Dickason children were 'strangled' in New Zealand - report
''The daughters of a SA couple who relocated to New Zealand - found dead in their new home by their father - were allegedly strangled.''

SA sisters 'strangled with cable ties' as report says mom may have been off her meds
''Durban - The South African doctor and mother of the three young girls found murdered at their new home in New Zealand, may have been off her chronic medication to meet the country’s strict immigration criteria.

Lauren Dickason, a doctor from Pretoria, is charged for the murders of twins Maya and Karla, 2, and their older sister Liane, 6, who were found dead in their Timaru home last Thursday by their father, Graham Dickason, an orthopaedic surgeon.The girls were allegedly strangled with cable ties.''

Moms who kill: Here's how to spot signs that a mother may harm her kids
''Mental health and motherhood: How to spot the signs
Doctor Lauren’s case is not an isolated one. Overs the years, alarming stories have surfaced of mothers who snapped. While it almost always comes as a shock, psychologists reveal that there are tell-tale signs that a mother can pose harm to her children.

Licensed psychologist Joy Crabtree says that increased irritability, loss of patience, quick mood changes, excessive energy or extreme fatigue, and a sense of feeling hopeless or overwhelmed are all signs of a depressed or mentally unstable mother.

According to a Checkup Newsroom article, a more serious sign is postpartum psychosis.''

"This is when a mother has an inability to distinguish what is real from what isn’t real. Mothers suffering from postpartum psychosis also sometimes develop extreme paranoia and may even start hearing voices and sounds that aren’t there.

The article reveals that in some cases, mothers start to have irrational thoughts about their babies or children.''
''They also report that treatment for postpartum psychosis includes tranquilization, mood-stabilising medication, and electroshock therapy while adding that doctors often prefer home-based treatments so that a mother may have time to bond with her children/baby.''

Last edited:
While people do "snap", most of the time there are plenty of signs before they do. .

Totally agree. JMO but the people who say "he/she just snapped" are the people you've asked for help from. Or the people who pop in for an hour seeing you without sleep for days, and on edge, and going through the motions of caring for others besides yourself. Then off they go to the beach or concert or wherever.

They're the people who say "she just snapped". You see what you want often.

My mum had the same query. they do get manufactured in a huge variety of sizes. they also get sold in variety packs.
but it occured to me that you can join the shorter ones together to make longer lengths. i've done it when i haven't had the right length.
if this rumor turns out to be true, i don't know if i'll ever be able to use a cable tie again.

^this
how does this go with insanity?

all right i'm out. bye.

The whole crime yells insanity. A woman of sound mind wouldn't have done this. JMO

Thank you for sharing this. I did not know IVF can have that effect but it makes total sense to me. Women say the same thing about pregnancy. I have never experienced either, but I have been through several hormonal upheavals and that is exactly what I say about them; that I have never felt the same since. Puberty was one that every single person reading this thread has probably gone through also. Hormones are immensly powerful.

You are absolutely right , hormones are very powerful in both good and bad ways. I’m sorry that you have experienced this x

rbbm
Latest: SA mom murderer of three daughters was off chronic medication
''The most recent insight into the investigation suggests that the mother of the deceased was off of her chronic medication to meet the country’s strict immigration criteria.''

''Graham and his wife Lauren, who is also a doctor, and their children moved to New Zealand last month and had been in Timaru for just a week after coming out of New Zealand’s strictly managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ). During this time, one cannot leave their hotel room except for an hour of exercise in a courtyard per day.''

“She isn’t an evil person, she was pushed outside her limits…but I think it might have been the extreme circumstances. Her mum isn’t there, her family isn’t there…who will know, we weren’t there, not one of us. ….perhaps they didn’t anticipate what it would mean to leave everything behind and go.
“Here [Mooikloof Heights Estate, Pretoria] she had a nanny, a domestic worker and a gardener who all helped in and around the house.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back