GUILTY NH - Abby Hernandez, 14, North Conway, 9 Oct 2013 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...able-violence-Will-she-be-given-privacy-video

way too much to snip, worth a read...I'm pretty sure this is MSM if not, my apologies to the mods. great article though...no matter what quadrant of the fence you're sitting on in this case. and I mean quadrant...not side...

“But the public and the media have to understand we are part of what she’s recovering from, with all these conversations and speculations. We’re making her journey harder than it needed to be.”

This is absolutely true and what I find most disturbing about many comments.

Free of charge for free publicity:)

In your opinion…

Maybe true Maybe not, but let's not forget that no matter how much evil there is, there are some who actually want to help… if he gets some publicity off of this and also greatly assists this family as they work their way through this, so be it. Good for him. Thank you to him! (heck he deserves it) and no, I'm not cheerleading, I'm seeing somebody who has already made a difference in the atmosphere just here in this one thread. I believe, in my opinion, he was hired to do just that… take some dang pressure off of AH and family, handle the swings of the bat for them while they all try to heal, make sense of the past 9 months and find some sense of their new normal.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...able-violence-Will-she-be-given-privacy-video

way too much to snip, worth a read...I'm pretty sure this is MSM if not, my apologies to the mods. great article though...no matter what quadrant of the fence you're sitting on in this case. and I mean quadrant...not side...

I can't thank you with just a thank you button for this. I recognize when Kibby's attorney speaks, some see it as just another slimy defense attorney doing what defense attoreys do. But thus far, I find this attorney to be admirable in his efforts to afford his client with the best defense possible. That said, I agree with this piece. I call it a piece because I take it as an op ed sort of thing and NOT MSM. But it does express many of my thoughts on this case.

“But the public and the media have to understand we are part of what she’s recovering from, with all these conversations and speculations. We’re making her journey harder than it needed to be.”

This is absolutely true and what I find most disturbing about many comments.

I wish it weren't so, but her journey is not ours or anyones to write.

In your opinion…

Maybe true Maybe not, but let's not forget that no matter how much evil there is, there are some who actually want to help… if he gets some publicity off of this and also greatly assists this family as they work their way through this, so be it. Good for him. Thank you to him! (heck he deserves it) and no, I'm not cheerleading, I'm seeing somebody who has already made a difference in the atmosphere just here in this one thread. I believe, in my opinion, he was hired to do just that… take some dang pressure off of AH and family, handle the swings of the bat for them while they all try to heal, make sense of the past 9 months and find some sense of their new normal.

I agree. Thank you. I am glad that that they are being represented. I hope his motive are good or at the least not counter to Abby and her family's. I have seen no reason to be concerned this far.

Will await further information as the case unfolds. We haven't truly seen many facts yet, so I'll await those. At no point do I agree with a grown man keeping a teen girl for any reasons since he isn't her father.

Attorneys/spokesperson really doesn't change much at this point for me. I think he could have achieved the same results in a different manner, but he didn't ask for my input. ;) Heck look at all Casey Anthony's attorneys said before and during the trial that were never backed up with facts! Even during opening statements!!

Does Abby and her family need privacy, and healing? You betcha! Does what we say here have any effect on either of those? Not in my viewpoint. I doubt Abby is online reading what we're saying as reading anywhere online wouldn't be in her best interest, IMO!!! Now, local media camping out at her home, or videoing her out going to the doc or grocery store, etc would be inappropriate and crossing some boundary issues.

In past cases of this nature, the victim's family has issued a statement without giving details, and asked for privacy at that time and it was granted! Once the trial began, the facts became known.

This may be a dumb question and may have been answered already. I can even think of some answers but not sure if any of my answers would be right so just want to get others opinions on this.

In this case and past cases, we sometimes see a victim obtain lawyer services.
But why does a victim need a lawyer?
It seems it could be costly and seems kind of unfair that a victim would have to go through the expense so wondering about what the reasons are to obtain one.

I wondered that too! I figured that the defence acted for the accused, the State would handle the prosecution.......so guessed that the victim has one to act as a spokesman so that whatever is said publicly does not affect the prosecution's case. It makes sure anything said is censored in a manner of speaking.

MOO

Coyne is using local counsel because he is not licensed in NH perhaps. We have used local counsel for things in states we have no attorneys licensed in. Particularly for existing clients or friends and acquaintances who feel more comfortable with the idea of our firm or specific attorney within it overseeing even though they know the attorney is not licensed or able to practice in the state where their concern/issue is.

In the alternative, it is possible if he is a talking head on news programs and seemed like someone who would be a good rep for the family, they perhaps hired him for his media savvy and the local counsel was needed as well for reasons stated above or perhaps to cut travel expense from Mass.

Just thoughts.

That was my take on it. Local NH attorneys for the legal wrangling, Coyne for his media experience.

And using students as a "trial team" really isn't uncommon. Law students clerk in a variety of offices, private and public, and do a lot of behind the scenes legwork for trials. The Innocence Project had a trial team of students. Using students to assist with trial preparation has no bearing on whether or not someone is a good lawyer.

This may be a dumb question and may have been answered already. I can even think of some answers but not sure if any of my answers would be right so just want to get others opinions on this.

It seems it could be costly and seems kind of unfair that a victim would have to go through the expense so wondering about what the reasons are to obtain one.

A victim could need a lawyer for a variety of reasons - guidance for handling the media; assisting the client in investigating the possibility of a civil suit; or simply advocating and walking them through the process. The prosecution represents the state, not the victim. They can proceed or drop a case without her input. They can take plea deals. An attorney representing a victim can sometimes help a victim better understand the courtroom process and more effectively help their voice to be heard.

Abby's lawyer expects more charges in kidnapping case

"Everyone wants to know more and they want to know it immediately in this social media age," said Coyne. "The fact is that you've got to let the process unfold and allow law enforcement to do its work and the family be able to heal and get better and really allow the process to do what it's supposed to do. At it's best, it will do it effectively and will be able to get justice for Abby."

http://conwaydailysun.com/newsx/local-news/115765-abby-s-lawyer-speaks-out

That is one of the things I have to keep remembering is that the prosecution represents the state not the victim! I know I often have difficulty separating the two and remembering to keep it that way!

....snipped for the part that helps answer my question.....

A victim could need a lawyer for a variety of reasons - guidance for handling the media; assisting the client in investigating the possibility of a civil suit; or simply advocating and walking them through the process. The prosecution represents the state, not the victim. They can proceed or drop a case without her input. They can take plea deals. An attorney representing a victim can sometimes help a victim better understand the courtroom process and more effectively help their voice to be heard.

Thanks everyone for helping me understand. I bolded the part that I especially like. Getting legal help to understand the process is an important reason to obtain counsel.

I know I would surely need legal help just to understand the terms and what is going on.

That is one of the things I have to keep remembering is that the prosecution represents the state not the victim! I know I often have difficulty separating the two and remembering to keep it that way!

This is such a good point too. It reminds me of a time a long time ago when I got my car stolen. I didnt even think to consider to get legal assistance and was just happy to get my car back. The perp pretty much got off scott free and I now wonder if I had obtained legal counsel that maybe the lawyer could have influenced the DA's office some to maybe treat it more seriously and go after some sort of more severe punishment. He did get some but it was basically slap on wrist.

Even though I was so happy to get my car back, I came out of the situation feeling somewhat betrayed. Thinking back now, I should have hired counsel at a minimum so I could understand things better and to be sure things were being done right.

The posted reasons are very true. One other reason, and possibly why a non criminal lawyer is involved is for negotiating the rights to Abby's story. We all know that this case has been bizarre from the start. People want to know the story. News organizations are likely not the only ones camping on her doorstep. I am sure they have already been offered serious money for exclusive rights to the "real" story from the alleged victim. The Hernandez family may or may not be interested in this type if thing but I am sure they are being approached and like any of us, have no clue how to deal with it.

Ok guys I have did more reading than posting!! But Something keeps catching my eye and it's Abby's mouth in all the recent pics after she returned home!! It is very noticeable and looks like she had has some sort of trauma to the area of her jaw is anyone else seeing this??
IMO

Ok guys I have did more reading than posting!! But Something keeps catching my eye and it's Abby's mouth in all the recent pics after she returned home!! It is very noticeable and looks like she had has some sort of trauma to the area of her jaw is anyone else seeing this??
IMO

Yes you can tell this ordeal did physical damage to her. She looked skinny, pale, and I noticed what yiur talking about. Not sure why people bash her insinuating she "doesnt look emaciated or skinny". MOO Shes a beautiful girl and needs some TLC and she will recover back to health.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

In your opinion…

LOL, the only reason this thread has slowed down is because there is no new info.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

What this poor child must have endured. Prayers for her healing. Prayers that the media just leave her in peace and give her the time and space she needs.

I hadn't noticed the trauma you wrote of above.....so went back and looked and can see what you mean. This is one of the reasons (not to flog a dead horse here!) that it's a good thing I'm not giving descriptions for police sketches! There is a picture of her in a black top on what looks like a track field at her school which was used extensively on the missing pictures, and then a straight on view of her entering the court house and the angle/view is similar.....wow what a difference. I'm sure there are several contributing factors....but it does show.

If Abby hasn't done a Google search of her name than she has way more self-control than I do. Perhaps I'm overestimating how much interest I'd have in doing so if I were in her situation but I'd be extremely curious of what was said, especially as a teenager and especially if I knew people were definitely aware I was missing, like Abby was with the newspaper. That sounds like a temptation that my morbid curiosity wouldn't be able to resist.

Dr. Drew is talking about the case for anyone interested. On right now -

Dr. Drew is talking about the case for anyone interested. On right now -

was just coming to post this, i only caught the last minute - did they say anything interesting so far?

all i heard was doctor drew say that all they were doing is voicing their confusion about the details (assuming he was referring to the last time they talked about it that i mentioned in a post yesterday) and he still doesnt understand where her father was and why her mother wasnt freaking out. then he asked who agrees that she was a victim and 5 of 6 agreed that no matter what she was a victim, guy on the bottom row in the middle said he cant say for sure...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammiwinks
Back