GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad Abby is home, but curious as to what kept her away for those nine months.

Glad Abby is home, but curious as to what kept her away for those nine months.

I am too, and it is only natural. I assume that we will be hearing a lot more details. There is no way that she took off for 9 months all on her own.

We need to know who the man/men were that did this. (I guess it could be a woman).

There is a very dangerous person out there right now, and I do not feel bad at all about demanding that we find out the details of this case. Though I suspect that LE is in the process of locating and arresting this person right now.

Wel well! I saw this online earlier today. What great news! Hope they can unravel what happened and Abby can settle back into life.

I am too, and it is only natural. I assume that we will be hearing a lot more details. There is no way that she took off for 9 months all on her own.

We need to know who the man/men were that did this. (I guess it could be a woman).

There is a very dangerous person out there right now, and I do not feel bad at all about demanding that we find out the details of this case. Though I suspect that LE is in the process of locating and arresting this person right now.

Yes, we deserve more details. Hopefully the person hasn't committed suicide. Strange from the beginning in that it was never confirmed if she ever made it home or not....

we do not deserve details but I sure would like some.

Why now? Why not 5 months ago or 3 months ago?

These questions are rhetorical. Please do not offer me possible whys. I already have them in mind and none of them are anything we can discuss or speculate about.

Yes, we deserve more details. Hopefully the person hasn't committed suicide. Strange from the beginning in that it was never confirmed if she ever made it home or not....

When a crime has been committed, it is our business. It is my business and your business, and the business of everyone else here. A 14/15 year-old child went missing for 9 months, and there must have been an adult making that happen. This is a very, very serious crime. To me, there is very little distinction between a 14 year-old "runaway" and a child that age who has been abducted. If Abby "ran away" with a grown man, then she is still the victim of a kidnapping.

I am elated that Abby is home safe, but I am very disturbed that as of right now, as far as we know, there is a person or persons out there, free in this world, who had this child under their control for 9 months.

Why now? Why not 5 months ago or 3 months ago?

These questions are rhetorical. Please do not offer me possible whys. I already have them in mind and none of them are anything we can discuss or speculate about.

Absolutely we do. Again, someone kidnapping or keeping a child is a very serious crime. We need to know who did this and how they did it. It is critical to a functioning society under the rule of law that this is made known and is made public.

I am totally shocked by how many people here seem to think that what happened to this child is no one's business. It is everyone's business. Either Abby was hiding by herself in a basement for 9 months, or some adult had a hand in this. That adult is a serious criminal who committed a serious crime. It is vitally important that we know the details.

Wow, I am shocked and very happy for her and her family. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw "found safe" my jaw dropped. Very good news!

rsbm --

I agree. The only person who deserves *anything* here is Abby, who deserves a chance at a normal life. Publicizing every detail about what happened to her could prevent that. I think the decision is ultimately hers.

rsbm --

I agree. The only person who deserves *anything* here is Abby, who deserves a chance at a normal life. Publicizing every detail about what happened to her could prevent that. I think the decision is ultimately hers.

It's not if some adult committed a crime attached to this case. In that case, there will be an indictment which will be public.

I am very, very sad for this child. I wish she did not have to go through what she went through, but we do not live in a world where someone can commit such a serious crime and then be expected to drop it just so the victim can have a "normal life". I am 99% sure that there was an adult who was responsible for keeping Abby for 9 months. That person must be caught and prosecuted. As part of that process, we will know the details.

Are people here honestly advocating for that not to happen in order to spare Abby the embarrassment of having the details made public?

Absolutely we do. Again, someone kidnapping or keeping a child is a very serious crime. We need to know who did this and how they did it. It is critical to a functioning society under the rule of law that this is made known and is made public.

I am totally shocked by how many people here seem to think that what happened to this child is no one's business. It is everyone's business. Either Abby was hiding by herself in a basement for 9 months, or some adult had a hand in this. That adult is a serious criminal who committed a serious crime. It is vitally important that we know the details.

respectfully I disagree. We are not the police the court or prison system. We are not going to run out and make any arrests of any criminals.

So long as LE knows what they need to and seek justice for any criminal aspect in this disappearance, the details and specifics are not something I or you or anyone has a right to. So long as authorities have the info they need.

What is critical to a functioning society IMO is letting this family heal as needed and what is vital IMO is to stay the heck out of law enforcement's way while they do their jobs.

For me, I guess it is an opportunity for education- education for parents of teens (many who could relate because they had a 14 year old daughter!), for young girls, for people who might not realize how serious it is to help a child stay away from home, for other law enforcement, for the continued interest and dedication of the public when people are missing. I think info will come in time. It doesn't have to be this moment! But, I think there is so much that can be learned from here that it would be unfortunate to leave it with "they need privacy". They have 10s of thousands of people who followed, shared, helped, looked, had pictures riding on their cars, used bookmarks, or at least had interest. Use that audience base for a good educational opportunity! That is just what I think.

***tlcya, I didn't mean to imply this response was directly for you. I just jumped off the response without realizing it. :)

respectfully I disagree. We are not the police the court or prison system. We are not going to run out and make any arrests of any criminals.

So long as LE knows what they need to and seek justice for any criminal aspect in this disappearance, the details and specifics are not something I or you or anyone has a right to. So long as authorities have the info they need.

What is critical to a functioning society IMO is letting this family heal as needed and what is vital IMO is to stay the heck out of law enforcement's way while they do their jobs.

of course it is in the public interest, and their absolute right, to be given information regarding this investigation and its outcome... this is being debated?

not every single detail, not anything that would jeopardize an on-going investigation, not immediate... but as full an accounting as can be responsibly made within a reasonable amount of time?

absolutely. undeniable. and is actually the law.

For me, I guess it is an opportunity for education- education for parents of teens (many who could relate because they had a 14 year old daughter!), for young girls, for people who might not realize how serious it is to help a child stay away from home, for other law enforcement, for the continued interest and dedication of the public when people are missing. I think info will come in time. It doesn't have to be this moment! But, I think there is so much that can be learned from here that it would be unfortunate to leave it with "they need privacy". They have 10s of thousands of people who followed, shared, helped, looked, had pictures riding on their cars, used bookmarks, or at least had interest. Use that audience base for a good educational opportunity! That is just what I think.

***tlcya, I didn't mean to imply this response was directly for you. I just jumped off the response without realizing it. :)

no prob even if it was. We would be one heck of a boring crew if we all sat around agreeing about everything all day ;)

:sigh: no it is not being debated that we do or do not have a right to information about the results of investigation if they lead to charges or some further action.

I am debating whether "we" the general public have a right to all the gory details about Abby's absence and that it is critical that we know everything. It isn't IMO.

Missing New Hampshire Teen Home After 9 Months
07/22/2014 at 12:45 PM EDT

Snipped:

Jane Young, chief of the attorney general's criminal bureau, said the case required the kind of full-scale investigation that was launched.

"We said all along, this was a child who was missing and we marshalled all our resources and we can gratefully say that she was able to be reunited with her family," Young said.

Zjt4TLH.jpg

http://www.people.com/article/missing-teen-found-new-hampshire

:sigh: no it is not being debated that we do or do not have a right to information about the results of investigation if they lead to charges or some further action.

I am debating whether "we" the general public have a right to all the gory details about Abby's absence and that it is critical that we know everything. It isn't IMO.

aha i must have missed the posts that were saying we were entitled to every single gory detail, just looked back a ways and i still dont see anyone saying that... maybe they were deleted.

Naturally I am not saying we need to know "gory" details. I do not need to know where the bad man touched her. But if there is a kidnapper/child rapist out there, then by golly we need to know! We need to know his name, where he lives, what he looks like, and what his modus operandi was.

A crime has been committed; it is not a secret for a reason.

of course it is in the public interest, and their absolute right, to be given information regarding this investigation and its outcome... this is being debated?

not every single detail, not anything that would jeopardize an on-going investigation, not immediate... but as full an accounting as can be responsibly made within a reasonable amount of time?

absolutely. undeniable. and is actually the law.

It is not absolute. There are exceptions to the 6th amendment, and this case could possibly fall under more than one:

"The right to a public trial is strictly enforced, but is not absolute. Trials may in exceptional cases be regulated. Closures are decided case-by-case by the judge evaluating a claimed danger to a substantial or legitimate public interest. But whatever the interest at stake, the likelihood of danger to that interest must meet a "‘substantial probability’ test".[1] Examples of cases presenting closure issues include organized crime cases (overall security concerns), rape cases (decency concerns), juvenile cases,[2] and through the Silent witness rule and/or Classified Information Procedures Act, cases involving sensitive or 'classified' information.[3]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlitedragon