GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My only concern is Abigail's privacy. She is a minor. She was gone 9 months. I don't need to know details about her time away. I simply need to know that LE will investigate and hopefully arrest and charge anyone who aided, coerced or assisted in her being gone from her family and missing for that period.

I don't really know how else to better explain.

I am not saying the public does not have a right to know it is being investigated thoroughly or the outcome of that investigation. What I do feel very strongly about is protecting this minor's privacy.

We have no clue what happened while she was gone. If my suspicions are correct some of it will remain undisclosed. Not to protect some nefarious criminal behind the disappearance, but to protect Abby herself.

ETA Sorry I am just all het up over idiots on FB who are demanding answers and now and speculating all sorts of graphic stuff that IMO is disrespectful to the child who just returned to her family. Letting those feelings get teh best of me I think.

My only concern is Abigail's privacy. She is a minor. She was gone 9 months. I don't need to know details about her time away. I simply need to know that LE will investigate and hopefully arrest and charge anyone who aided, coerced or assisted in her being gone from her family and missing for that period.

I don't really know how else to better explain.

I am not saying the public does not have a right to know it is being investigated thoroughly or the outcome of that investigation. What I do feel very strongly about is protecting this minor's privacy.

We have no clue what happened while she was gone. If my suspicions are correct some of it will remain undisclosed. Not to protect some nefarious criminal behind the disappearance, but to protect Abby herself.

ETA Sorry I am just all het up over idiots on FB who are demanding answers and now and speculating all sorts of graphic stuff that IMO is disrespectful to the child who just returned to her family. Letting those feelings get teh best of me I think.

The whole disappearance/investigation was carried out under a veil of secrecy - I have a feeling the police knew all along what this disappearance was all about, so I don't imagine much more detail will be released. I can't recall another case of a child going missing, with so little information being made available to the public, and so much silence from friends and other people in the community. Just my opinion, but this case "felt different" from others.

So glad to hear she is back home after so many months missing. It is very scary to think that a 14 year old could be 'invisible' for all that time and nobody could find her - whether voluntary or involuntary. I just hope this not only gives hope to other parents of missing children, but also that we hear a lot more happy endings with regard to other cases.

Naturally I am not saying we need to know "gory" details. I do not need to know where the bad man touched her. But if there is a kidnapper/child rapist out there, then by golly we need to know! We need to know his name, where he lives, what he looks like, and what his modus operandi was.

A crime has been committed; it is not a secret for a reason.

Just curious to know how she was found (was a tip called in to a hot line) or was she found (did she show up at home)? Usually there is the some type of information about a case such as this; consider Elizabeth Smart.

Whether she ran away or was abducted Abby is going to need a lot of psychological help. She would have missed near on a year of schooling. Now she will be a year behind while all her friends would be going onto the next grade. This will follow here wherever she goes. If she goes back to her old school all her friends will be wanting answers. It is only human nature. If she goes to a new school her story will go with her.
The dynamics of the home will have changed after nine months. They will have to start all over again. It is very hard to pick up where you left off after nine months. I pray that this family gets a lot of help to adjust back to a loving normal home life. I really hope Abby did not go through anything that will effect her psychological. JMOO

Missing N.H. teen Abigail Hernandez back at home
No details on where she was for 9 months
By Zachary T. Sampson and Faiz Siddiqui
Globe Correspondents July 22, 2014

“We are quite literally still in the throes of getting clarity on this,” said Kieran L. Ramsey, assistant special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston division, which oversees operations in New Hampshire.

UPDATE Missing In America: Abigail Hernandez
UPDATE (July 21st, 2014):

"Further details will be provided once it has been determined that releasing additional information will not compromise the integrity of the on-going criminal investigation," a press release from the New Hampshire State Police and Attorney General's office said.

According to the release, Zenya Hernandez, Abigail's mother told police that "today we are the happiest people on earth."

The Hernandez Family has requested privacy as they assist the ongoing investigation.

Read more at the links.

Sounds like even the FBI is still trying to figure this out too.

I am having a hard time with the ethics and morality of claiming that the privacy of a minor child is paramount when there is very likely a person out there who is so predatory towards children, that he is willing to secret that child away for 9 months. I feel very sorry for Abby, and I am extremely sympathetic towards her right, and I was once a 15 year-old girl and so I have complete understanding of what it is like to be that age and have something "really embarrassing" happen to you. My issue is that right now, there is likely some man out there responsible for keeping Abby away for the past nine months. Where is he now? How did he meet Abby? What is his process for grooming? I am doing a little "balancing test" in my head, and to me, the safety of the rest of the 14/15 year-old children in the world is more important that Abby's mortification. Again, I feel badly for her, but if there is an adult out there who was responsible for this, then he is predatory and dangerous, and unless he is custody or is about to be arrested, then I hate to be the "bad guy" but the public really, really needs to have an idea of who this person is.

I trust LE will inform the public how much info needs to be disclosed, and when that needs to be done. I've seen similar secrecy in other cases and when the info comes out there is an "Ahh, that is why they kept that hush hush". If they picked her up during a trafficking sting, I'm not sure we need to know that right now until they determine if she was kidnapped and/or lured by someone in the community. The person who kidnapped/lured her may be long gone and unsuspecting of any possible heat, and LE may want it that way so they can catch up to that person. Who knows...point is, I think LE will know when to disclose the info.

I suspect Lady Rosamund of taking her to Switzerland to study French.

Do you not feel if LE thought there was a predator out there they would be doing everything in their power to apprehend him? Do you worry that LE are just going to let someone who abducted, groomed and raped a 14/15 year old over the course of 9 months just go on about his business? Why?

If she was abducted by an adult and held, that adult will be found and prosecuted. If shew as raped or physically harmed, held captive, etc, I have every confidence LE is looking for the responsible party.

I suspect something else may have happened here. It is entirely possible this young lady left of her own volition and had help from adults who should have known better. If so I hope those adults are prosecuted for custodial interference and interfering with LE investigation.

I have no ethical or moral dilemma. If LE think someone has committed a crime they will arrest him. If they think the public is in danger from a predator, they will take action to protect that public.

the balancing test in my head says LE will tell us if they feel there is reason for alarm. Meanwhile I will wish Abby and her family the very best while they heal and learn to be a family again.

I will backtrack and read up when I catch my breath, but super quick, please... presser time? TIA

I am not yet convinced an adult man made off with her. Will have to wait and see. She may have gone with someone not much older, or met up with a group of street teens or lived in a shelter.

I hope in any event that NH plans to devote equal resources to all missing teens.

Jmo

Do you not feel if LE thought there was a predator out there they would be doing everything in their power to apprehend him? Do you worry that LE are just going to let someone who abducted, groomed and raped a 14/15 year old over the course of 9 months just go on about his business? Why?

If she was abducted by an adult and held, that adult will be found and prosecuted. If shew as raped or physically harmed, held captive, etc, I have every confidence LE is looking for the responsible party.

I suspect something else may have happened here. It is entirely possible this young lady left of her own volition and had help from adults who should have known better. If so I hope those adults are prosecuted for custodial interference and interfering with LE investigation.

I have no ethical or moral dilemma. If LE think someone has committed a crime they will arrest him. If they think the public is in danger from a predator, they will take action to protect that public.

the balancing test in my head says LE will tell us if they feel there is reason for alarm. Meanwhile I will wish Abby and her family the very best while they heal and learn to be a family again.

Of course not! What I am saying is that Abby's privacy is not that important in light of the bigger picture. If the public needs "private, detailed" information in order the get his guy, then so? Let's have it. Abby's mortification is not what needs to be protected when there is a predator on the loose. Perhaps I have not been making myself clear. A lot of people here were saying that we don't need to know what happened, and that all that matters is that Abby is safe and we need to respect her privacy. What I am saying is that none of this can happen if some adult is responsible for this.

I 100% assume that LE is actively pursuing this and will make every effort to arrest who is responsible, but Abby's privacy should only be protected to the extent that it does not interfere with the apprehension of a predator. And of course it is only ethical and moral the public know about child predators in their area. I am sickened that so many people think this is something that should be kept "private". It absolutely should not be.

Well, I want to hear what happened but I don't think the 'reason' for her being missing changes anything. If she did it on her own or not on her own doesn't really matter. There is a FOUND ALIVE by her name and that is lacking on about 90% of the cases on ws. There is no REMAINS FOUND, no ARREST MADE,,, no MISSING , PRESUMED DECEASED.... She's alive and she will learn from this, no matter the reason. At this point, I think I'd much rather assume she was missing on her own actions than kidnapped and victimized by some " TOS bringer", right?
FOUND SAFE,,,,,,,,the most beautiful 9 keystrokes Websleuths has to offer. Relish it. Aren't we all following cases with no Found Safe and never will be a Found Safe and we know it? We hope and we hope but we know it won't happen?

Those adults are kidnappers then. Abby was a 14 year-old child who could not legally decide that she wanted to take off with some guy. That is why we distinguish between children and adults. If I tell a 10-year-old kid that I am going to take him to get an ice cream, and he "under his own volition" gets into my car, I have still kidnapped him. A 14 year-old is still a child. If some guy made her some promise or told her something and she "willingly" got into the car with him and has been under his control for that past 9 months, then that is a very, very serious crime. It is not just some embarrassing family secret that we now need to respect the privacy of.

At this point, I think I'd much rather assume she was missing on her own actions than kidnapped and victimized by some " TOS bringer", right?

If she was missing by her own actions then she must have been extremely resourceful.

tlcya- agree with everything you said.

I also think it is a little premature to be assuming Abby was raped, etc. We really have no idea what happened, and that is okay. What matters is that LE knows so that they can follow up and investigate or prosecute anyone who may have committed a criminal act related to Abby's disappearance. Sounds like they are still sorting out what all happened.

If and when LE or Abby feel comfortable sharing, I would be very interested to know what happened. If that never happens, I am okay with that too. When a person is missing, the public is given (and we sleuths uncover) a lot of personal information about that individual, and we discuss/speculate it to our hearts content. The purpose of all that is to try to find the missing person and bring him/her home to their family. Abby is home now, and deserves some of that privacy back. It is not to avoid "embarrassing" a fifteen-year-old... it is just common decency.

If she was missing by her own actions then she must have been extremely resourceful.

Agreed, she had to have help to pull it off, if that's what happened. I just hate to think of the taken against her will alternative / scenario.

I feel confident that if LE needs the public's help identifying a predator in this case, they will appeal to the public with a sketch, description, license plate, or any other information necessary. We don't yet know if that is the case.

ETA: I believe it was only about 36 hrs ago that Abby returned home. If they choose to release significant information, LE will need time to get all their ducks in a row first and conduct some investigative work about what they have learned from Abby. They may very well release some details, but it may take some time. Depending on the nature of this case, they may need to proceed very cautiously.

Of course not! What I am saying is that Abby's privacy is not that important in light of the bigger picture. If the public needs "private, detailed" information in order the get his guy, then so? Let's have it. Abby's mortification is not what needs to be protected when there is a predator on the loose. Perhaps I have not been making myself clear. A lot of people here were saying that we don't need to know what happened, and that all that matters is that Abby is safe and we need to respect her privacy. What I am saying is that none of this can happen if some adult is responsible for this.

I 100% assume that LE is actively pursuing this and will make every effort to arrest who is responsible, but Abby's privacy should only be protected to the extent that it does not interfere with the apprehension of a predator. And of course it is only ethical and moral the public know about child predators in their area. I am sickened that so many people think this is something that should be kept "private". It absolutely should not be.

I am sorry, I am not trying to be obtuse here, truly. What is "this"? What should be made public, specifically, that would add to the safety and well being of the citizens in and around Conway?

Other than media not shoving cameras in her face and shouting at her from all sides with microphones thrusting, screaming "Abby, Abby, where were you all those months?" "Abby Abby were you hurt?" what is being kept private that should not be?

We have every indication this is still an active and open investigation and every indication that Abby and family are cooperating with LE and that investigation. So I am just very confused about what specifically is being kept from the public that we have a right to or deserve to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webberry