GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of her aliases. But I have a coworker who lived in Russia. She changed her name to a more American version when she came here. Maybe it's common?

i don't disagree with you, takeitfromme...but i question who exactly her friends were. they've made nary a comment. their fb pages are empty, her fb page isn't afire.

a few local adults are enraged, as they should be, but other than that, support is coming in via strangers and sporadic at best. folks across the country are posting missing flyers but not in settlers' green? c'mon.

IMO.

It's not surprising that Abigail's friends are not making comments on FB that the public can see. I would bet that any kids from the area who did not have high privacy settings on their pages sure do now.

Users control who can see their posts even when they post to other's pages. So if Abigail's classmate has restricted her posts to friends only or only friends of friends and she posts on AH's page, you will not see that activity on AH's FB page unless you are a friend of that classmate or a friend of the classmates friends.

I would be pretty leery of letting my teens speak to the media after the first few days. It could make them a target to whoever is behind Abigail's disappearance.

It sounds like locals are doing what they can. They seem to be spreading the word via social media and flyers. The business cards are a fabulous idea, since there could be many girls matching Abigail's description. They are keeping the search in the news to the extent they can. The Lighting the Way Home walk looked beautiful.

Bohdi, I agree...
These kids are most likely terrified.... in 1997 when I went thru a similar thing with my bff I could not sleep, eat, didn't want to talk to almost anyone..... my other close friends were acting the same way..... we were heartbroken and scared to death..... but we didn't know who to be afraid of..... and though a couple of us kids spoke to the press once or twice and very briefly at that..... our parents and my bff's parents, and LE told the media to leave the kids alone

This is so sad! Where is Abby? I feel so awful for her mom and family.

My family and I immigrated from Russia in 1994 and have each gone through about 3 different name variations a piece since. None of us have the same last name currently—my mom's is her mom's maiden name, mine is my father's/mom's ex husband's name, but it used to be my American stepdad's name until I was 15, so on and so forth. As far as I know, none of us are involved in any illicit activities. It really might be a Russian thing: an obsession with genealogy paired with overall different patronymic naming practices can lead to some hiccups in the process of adapting to by-marriage kin. I also don't know "how Russian" Zenya is (despite her super Russian first name) so for all I know she doesn't adhere to any of the above like my family and many other Russki ex-pats I know.

Gosh, the things I've googled in the process of reading up on cases, plus the different "aliases" I've had... wouldn't even want to know the suspicions it would rouse if I'm ever the one being sleuthed. :)

Edit: we've also moved.. kind of a lot.. for seemingly arbitrary reasons, often within the same school district. No cultural explanation there unless being geographically stir-crazy is something that can be passed on. That and the fact that first-gen immigrants tend to be lacking in the extended family department, and thus have fewer ties to any one place.

My family and I immigrated from Russia in 1994 and have each gone through about 3 different name variations a piece since. None of us have the same last name currently—my mom's is her mom's maiden name, mine is my father's/mom's ex husband's name, but it used to be my American stepdad's name until I was 15, so on and so forth. As far as I know, none of us are involved in any illicit activities. It really might be a Russian thing: an obsession with genealogy paired with overall different patronymic naming practices can lead to some hiccups in the process of adapting to by-marriage kin. I also don't know "how Russian" Zenya is (despite her super Russian first name) so for all I know she doesn't adhere to any of the above like my family and many other Russki ex-pats I know.

Gosh, the things I've googled in the process of reading up on cases, plus the different "aliases" I've had... wouldn't even want to know the suspicions it would rouse if I'm ever the one being sleuthed. :)

Thanks, Bette. The alias thing struck me as odd. I have only seen her first name spelled incorrectly plus what is probably her complete first name.

I had the opposite problem. I had one of the top ten last names in the US. So when I see myself on those people search sites, there are always people associated with me that I have never heard. Now, my last name is eastern European and extremely uncommon. Lots of misspellings. Not aliases.

We get laughs out of people trying to pronounce our last name. We have so many vowels yet people seem to substitute Ks randomly for other consonants.

Thanks, Bette. The alias thing struck me as odd. I have only seen her first name spelled incorrectly plus what is probably her complete first name.

I had the opposite problem. I had one of the top ten last names in the US. So when I see myself on those people search sites, there are always people associated with me that I have never heard. Now, my last name is eastern European and extremely uncommon. Lots of misspellings. Not aliases.

We get laughs out of people trying to pronounce our last name. We have so many vowels yet people seem to substitute Ks randomly for other consonants.

Haha, it does feel somewhat cozy to know you're related, however distantly, to anyone who has your last name. Mine is rather cumbersome as well and in the process of moving to the US/Israel about three spelling variations of it emerged as people attempted to transliterate it into a language with significantly fewer vowels.

So yeah, not to move too off topic! My heart's with Zenya, and there's yet to be any suspicion in it.

Settlers green is an outlet mall. It's part of a "chain" of outlet malls.

If settlers green won't let them post fliers in windows, I think they should post one giant billboard then! This is a local girl from the same town FGS!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Everything above is JMO!

We seem too all be stálled on finding Abby. No posts, no press conferences, no sense of urgency in the city.

Why?

We seem too all be stálled on finding Abby. No posts, no press conferences, no sense of urgency in the city.

Why?

And in my admittedly pessimistic mind I'm afraid it's going to just stay that way. Can you say desperation?

Bloggers and businesses encouraged to help find Abby

http://www.conwaydailysun.com/index...ers-and-newsletters-invited-to-help-find-abby

this information must have come from the missing facebook page...it's almost copied in order. the admin(s) have requested the names of all the businesses and blogs.

there's something odd about this but i'm not sure what...

I think it's pretty innovative. The FB page(s) asks the general public to post and share AH's missing flyer. This seems to be the next obvious step (which I don't think any other missing case has utilized) of asking businesses to share the flyer like an advertisement on their sites. The business cards are another example of thinking outside of the box. I hope the Milers get some traction with this as well as a bunch of people who will put the magnets on their vehicles.

ETA: Sort of a, "Fine. We can't post a flyer in your store? Then we'll plaster all of our cars with Abby's info that sit in your parking lot!" It'd be cool if all of the snow-plowing trucks had her info on their blades, too.

Anything to bring her home, folks!!

Anything to bring her home, folks!!

That's why I posted it on my website, I thought is strange they were asking for names of blogs and such but then I thought am I being paranoid? Maybe it's pure frustration and they are trying other avenues. I ummed and ahhhed then thought what does it matter, if I can help I'm gonna help.

That's why I posted it on my website, I thought is strange they were asking for names of blogs and such but then I thought am I being paranoid? Maybe it's pure frustration and they are trying other avenues. I ummed and ahhhed then thought what does it matter, if I can help I'm gonna help.

I think they were asking for the names of the blogs that are agreeing to do it just to see if anyone is, YKWIM? It's one thing to ask 6,000+ people to help out but it would be impossible to figure out who actually decided to put the flyer up on their site without asking, IMO.

That's very nice of you to put it up on your website :loveyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members