GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a class on New England culture and that's exactly one of the things we learned. Less outwardly emotional, extremely private. That's a generalization, of course. JMO.

I'm a teacher at a college and I actually have blocked my FB and other social media sites so that nobody but people in my specific groups can find anything I post. (You'd be amazed at how students friend request you). Students have shared with me that they also put top security on their settings. I'm wondering if this is the case. Thanks for your post, Cat Fancier.
I have to say that I remember distinctly in Celina Cass' threads prior to her body being found, the chatter here about the lack of local rumor. It was explained that NH folks are different and tight-knit, not big on sharing with media, etc. Very private types.

I don't tell anyone in my family that I'm on here... they already think I'm too much of a soft heart anyway..... and a nut

Lol! I lied and told my boyfriend I was on Ebay. Thanks for making me feel more normal about my obsession with this site.:loveyou:

Lol! I lied and told my boyfriend I was on Ebay. Thanks for making me feel more normal about my obsession with this site.:loveyou:

Mine think I am doing Christmas shopping!

And, about the FB settings ~ mine are locked down tight. If anyone were to "find" me they would not see anything except my name and cover photo. I think most high school kids today have a pretty good awareness of this. On Abby's page, I'm sure she has it set so that you must be a friend of hers to see if anyone posts there. We would not see posts from her friends on her page saying that they miss her, come home, etc.

I don't tell anyone in my family that I'm on here... they already think I'm too much of a soft heart anyway..... and a nut

Oh my ... my school teacher daughter was over last evening and had a fit I am still following missing kids.

She told me it's 'unhealthy'.

I told her 'working in the innercity school is unhealthy too'!

I keep my wanderings on the QT.

Nobody understands us but...US!

I took a class on New England culture and that's exactly one of the things we learned. Less outwardly emotional, extremely private. That's a generalization, of course. JMO.

I'm a teacher at a college and I actually have blocked my FB and other social media sites so that nobody but people in my specific groups can find anything I post. (You'd be amazed at how students friend request you). Students have shared with me that they also put top security on their settings. I'm wondering if this is the case. Thanks for your post, Cat Fancier.

I think those in the high school level and those at the college level are on the great divide.

Once high school is over one finds the more sophisticated students travel along to academia. They are smarter and wiser and would be more clever in their social media experience.

Those left behind with the mimimum wage jobs and babies on the way seem to love showing themselves and saying look at me.

MOO

There is truth to this, even in what appear to be more outspoken areas e.g. Boston.

I don't think I have one friend on my FB that doesn't have their page locked up either! Mine is. Nobody can even post to my timeline without my approval.

side note: The kids are a different story in the area I'm in now. Rare that I can't open a page and see everything, haven't been able to wrap my brain around it The parent's page is locked down, their teens pages open to general public often with exception of photos. I think this is coming from a more open acceptance that SM is part of daily life and the parents are monitoring by watching, not by being a part of making the page, checking settings, etc. Huge generalization, but clear trend in my little area.

OK here is the scoop. I have one FB page for my family and friends only. It is locked up as tight as I can get it with a hundred requests and ignores by me.

Then I have set up a second FB page for 'all others'.

It works for me.

I wonder if others have done that?

I was wondering the same. Course somebody who isn't supposed to have an acct or whose family doesnt do FB wouldn't bother with one for fam/friends and one for others. I'm seeing a lot of people open a second acct for all therapy and one very private one. I've been considering doing it, but thinking I'll probably just shut down my acct sooner than later anyway.

Is Common Court a condominium complex or apartment building?

It's the name of the street where Settlers' Green and the grand hotel are located. It's the circular road that surrounds them. There are no condos/houses there that I'm aware of, just the outlets and the hotel.

The Conway Daily Sun ‏@ConwayDailySun 3h
This weekend marked one month of searching for 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez. Take a look back, in pictures:
[video=vimeo;79069911]http://vimeo.com/79069911[/video]

Well. I just talked with my sister up in the area. I asked her if there is any chatter going on at all. She said none. According to here and the people she has talked to. if you ask anyone what they think, the usual answer is, "I have no idea"

The brief recreational FB sleuthing I did around NC showed me a lot of random teenagers who didn't seem to know Abby personality or weren't in her grade but were offering brief condolences to each other. It's overall hard for me to imagine image-conscious high school kids discussing what they believe happened even when just their other friends or family can see, but my FB-since-2004 cohort exercises a lot of discretion when discussing the deceased or other family tragedies. "RIP" groups or posts won't have anyone publicly asking for details on the COD. There might also be an element of not wanting to appear like they're bandwagoning or pretending to be worried for the attention.

So, as someone hypothesized above, people might speculate to each other offline, but starting a theory discussion on a missing poster would be seen as tacky, IMO. There's always that risk of implicating someone who the next commenter will point out is her father/brother/best friend growing up. And then you look like a butt. :notgood: (Could just be the southern upbringing showing, which like NE apparently, can make gossip weird. Lots of feigned ignorance. Lots of porch sitting hushed-voice "here comes so-and-so whose son just up and so-and-so, bless her heart, he was from such a good family.." followed by sighs and sad "mm-hmm"s before immediately turning the smiles back on and asking said so-and-so how her mama is.)

Also, I feel like it would raise our hinky meters to discover active speculation elsewhere. Remember very early on when a certain someone (not RH) posted on the missing page in active support of the runaway theory? I would also hazard that the grand majority of locals anywhere aren't hobbyist sleuths, so the statistics that are immediately apparent to you guys about the rarity of stranger abductions and what that implies may not be so intuitive to them. If no one saw anything and the kidnapper is assumed to be a random disheveled drifter, your typical stranger danger boogeyman, there's not much to go on. Which, save for the drifter bit, is kind of the same deal over here.

So do you think there might be a hush-hush element along the lines of "don't talk about it/point fingers or you'll be next", especially since (if?) no one knows WHY Abby? I'm also curious what you guys are contrasting the NC buzz with. Jessica Heeringa's missing page circus? It seems even with cases seemingly (and frustratingly) cut and dry, like Hailey Dunne, every third comment on the page is like "have they caught them yet" or someone saying they heard there was a rise in satantic rituals recently and has anyone explored that venue? On Jessica's page a three paragraph indictment of initials-only strangers would be sandwiched between two locals asking if they've checked DMV records for silver vans or if the gas station surveillance was checked. Followed by a "no offense but" reminder that people do make themselves disappear voluntarily. Etc. Good sleuthing is hard to come by, and the most vocal people are the ones least likely to have done their homework. :moo:

Maybe I'm just rationalizing away my frustration with the radio silence. I agree more chatter would mean more things were being done to bring Abby home. And I have no idea how far away we are from that. :banghead:

I don't know what to believe anymore about this girl and this case.

If you go by her father's letter, it appears he thinks she ran away.

If you go by the boyfriend's father, he insinuates that her father, who he alleges is abusive (in what way- physical, mental, sexually, he does not tell), has something to do with her disappearance.

The mother yesterday makes a plea on the website run by her friend for Abby to come home because they love and miss her very much, and she signs it from her and the sister.

So, three or four people who are allegedly close to this girl feel that she's alive and out there somewhere, at least by the accounts that you read all over the internet and social media.

LE has not had a press conference in how long? Looks like they got nothing to go on right now.

Also, I wonder what ever happened to that report that a couple from New York, along with another person, had thought that they had seen her walking on the Kancamagus Highway on Columbus Day weekend? The poor couple was convinced that it was her, but at the time when they were leaf peeping, they didn't know there was a girl missing.

I see a lot of parents of abducted or murdered teens pleading for their children to come home. So much easier to hope that the child is angry and gone of their own accord and in control enough to opt to come back home than the alternatives :(

Bettie, your post was so very on the mark, thank you.
Steeleslady, I have been thinking today too about my memory for anything that may have happened, let's say Oct. 9th. If someone offered me $5000.00 to tell them one or 2 things I may have accomplished that day, I would lose. Would have to duct tape them to a chair and grab the money and run. I would need to look at the weekly schedule bk. We keep for a clue. If that day was blank, I would have nothing to go on. The tip LE needs is very specific, time wise and kid wise, right ?
Like a person would have had to know her plans, or have seen with their own eyes what happened. I am seriously asking, besides her phone, what else do they need ?

Sure is looking like another cold case.

That's the way it goes. No news and the fire turns to hot coals then somebody throws another log and it starts blazing. No log and it dies out. And so we wait and we hope....

The Conway Daily Sun ‏@ConwayDailySun 3h
This weekend marked one month of searching for 15-year-old Abigail Hernandez. Take a look back, in pictures:http://vimeo.com/79069911

Thank you for posting this. I was SO happy to see lots of Abbys school mates at the memorial and also holding up the sign.

These kids are just like us. They speculate among their selves, they don't tell their families, they hope for some news but in the end they too know nothing. Perhaps one out of the hundreds does know something but so far they have not spoken.

Well. I just talked with my sister up in the area. I asked her if there is any chatter going on at all. She said none. According to here and the people she has talked to. if you ask anyone what they think, the usual answer is, "I have no idea"

I don't think anybody knows. Anything being talked about is...gossip...nothing more and nothing less. Sigh...

I see a lot of parents of abducted or murdered teens pleading for their children to come home. So much easier to hope that the child is angry and gone of their own accord and in control enough to opt to come back home than the alternatives :(

Well they say never give up hope and so far we have no blood or reasons other than experience with other cases that she isn't alive. So we wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3