GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to say, but the NH media's relative reticence is likely to some extent based on an at least sub-conscious fear of damaging the huge NH tourism trade.
This might seem like a cynical thing to state, but sadly I fear it is the truth...

Bet your bottoms that if this case was in my coverage area, as a newspaper reporter myself I would be all over this like flies on you know what!!!!!!!!! If this should happen in the future in my coverage area I will be the perps worst nightmare with media coverage

I'm with you. I, personally, wouldn't give a DNA sample unless I knew the person or after some good information, time to research, etc. But I would open my home up to a search (after calling in to confirm) Seriously, There is not much that wouldn't be worth a shot, imho, to find a child who may be in danger. A knock on the door isn't enough to make notice of most possible suspicions, everybody knows that.

And if everybody said no, well so be it. Effort, Looking for something when you have nothing to me is the key.

whether or not one agrees that DNA testing an entire town is an invasion of civil liberties or not (I think it is, but that's besides the point)

A few points--
This was a tourist town in the middle of a busy tourist season.
You could put lots of money and resources into DNA testing for no reason--the person you are trying to "scare" into carelessness might not be part of that community--and this flare that informs the perp that LE has NO clue as to who it is.
That money and manpower needs to be directed into things that are likely to bear fruit.
It makes no sense to do blanket testing, IMO.

I think there would be plenty of people who would not allow LE to take their DNA, and not because they are the killer. Some people would be paranoid that LE would use their DNA in the future to frame them for a crime they didn't commit. I also think some people wouldn't want LE to search their home, because they don't want LE going through their stuff. A lot of people smoke pot, and that's not something you want LE finding.

Who said anything about testing the entire town? You start with men- family, neighbors, and Internet friends she has the most contact with. You ask if they will give a sample. You ask if they'd allow a search. No civil liberty violations. No need to spend the money having samples analyzed unless/until you have something to match it to- that's not costly- a q-tip and specimen cup. What may be most beneficial are the STATEMENTS given in the process, which could be analyzed to give probabilities of knowledge/involvement. It's a place to start if LE really has no other clues/evidence/suspicions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who said anything about testing the entire town? You start with men- family, neighbors, and Internet friends she has the most contact with. You ask if they will give a sample. You ask if they'd allow a search. No civil liberty violations. No need to spend the money having samples analyzed unless/until you have something to match it to- that's not costly- a q-tip and specimen cup. What may be most beneficial are the STATEMENTS given in the process, which could be analyzed to give probabilities of knowledge/involvement. It's a place to start if LE really has no other clues/evidence/suspicions.

I think LE already does that in most cases? I know of cases where LE has done DNA testing on hundreds of people, and they were not randomly chosen.

Bet your bottoms that if this case was in my coverage area, as a newspaper reporter myself I would be all over this like flies on you know what!!!!!!!!! If this should happen in the future in my coverage area I will be the perps worst nightmare with media coverage

So would I, for sure!
While a journalist myself, I'm not in NH and actually not even in the US, but given the opportunity I know I'd be passionate about covering AH in any way possible.
I guess, though, that many reporters/journalists may be curtailed by their bosses who may not allow them enough time and opportunity to follow their own instincts and priorities when it comes to what to pursue....

So how do we find the right journalist? Go to the ones we can find even small articles from? Tell her story? I'm asking the journalists, what would get you snapped into an unstoppable mode from an emailer or caller?

And what are they going to claim they're connecting it to? They'd have to concoct a story that would get out or a leak that they have information they don't have. Then they'd have to pretend that there was DNA evidence on the pretend information they leaked. Then they'd have to pick and choose, based on gut instinct, who might be the most probable people to pretend to analyze for pretend DNA matches. And then how many people are they going to watch? It's a convoluted place to start, a start that could seriously backfire. If, by chance, they do happen to swab a person and that person did commit some heinous act against AH, then even an idiot lawyer could get any DNA evidence thrown out. Not to mention, it's a costly (timewise) use of LE. Like I said, it's a great thought out of the box, but it's just not workable. It worked in Jessica's case because there was a body with the potential for DNA evidence. The other issue is that LE still isn't sure she isn't gone of her own volition. And as someone else said, it's tourist season, if she was abducted it's just as likely the person was from out of state.
It would be the same as pretending they have fingerprint evidence. Pretend there is fingerprint evidence, or they found a fingerprint, but then they'd have to tell where they found the evidence or how and it would have to be believable. It's the same with DNA, it would have to be a very believable story and at this point they don't even know where AH disappeared from, they'd at least need a crime scene.

I wonder if the checked all the area hotel manifest to see if there were any single males staying the days leading up to her disappearance, that may have checked out that day

Oh and any deliveries made to any businesses along that route, during that time frame

I think you all know I'm no sleuther for life here so please pardon my question. Can we really not trust in LE to do these things in their investigations? Do they miss checking hotel/motel manifests whether for males or RSO's or people with records of any sort?
I'm not one to put blind faith in anything, but even the FBI and local law enforcement watches CSI and such. I hate to think these things would be missed, especially in such a tourist drawn area.

I think you all know I'm no sleuther for life here so please pardon my question. Can we really not trust in LE to do these things in their investigations? Do they miss checking hotel/motel manifests whether for males or RSO's or people with records of any sort?
I'm not one to put blind faith in anything, but even the FBI and local law enforcement watches CSI and such. I hate to think these things would be missed, especially in such a tourist drawing area.

IMO, they miss "something" often. More minds churning ideas is never a bad idea. Hopefully they are reading here!

Any news of any kind or interesting statements by persons or LE? tia

So how do we find the right journalist? Go to the ones we can find even small articles from? Tell her story? I'm asking the journalists, what would get you snapped into an unstoppable mode from an emailer or caller?

I think Dan Seufert of the Union Leader is, in fact, that journalist. He has done a lot of reporting on it and as far as I know is the only one who offered publicly, on the MHFAH page, for people to keep in touch w/him. Most of his Tweets since October have been about Abby. I believe that those who are active in the effort remain in touch with him.

Just me opining...

Any news of any kind or interesting statements by persons or LE? tia

Not that I know of. There was supposed to be another press conference at the end of last week, but nothing. It would be good to hear something, even if it's still the same thing.

That's sad :( I know I said this weeks ago but Abby is the age of my daughter. She looks fairly similar to one of her friends.The idea that one of her friends could just cease to be without a trace is really upsetting . I hope she left on her own. That's my prayer. :)

Yes, he is... but it only gets to the Union Leader, some publish from there, but we need bigger broadcasts. Boston is one place that if it came out of there it would get a lot further. boston.com Much bigger audience. Also Union Leader requires you to pay to read more than so many articles, I think 10. They have done an AMAZING job and if that is the man that has been doing it well, kudos to him. WMUR has also kept it going (though I think could do better). Now to find the next step outside of the area.

Yes, he is... but it only gets to the Union Leader, some publish from there, but we need bigger broadcasts. Boston is one place that if it came out of there it would get a lot further. boston.com Much bigger audience. Also Union Leader requires you to pay to read more than so many articles, I think 10. They have done an AMAZING job and if that is the man that has been doing it well, kudos to him. WMUR has also kept it going (though I think could do better). Now to find the next step outside of the area.

Well Boston WCVB shares a lot of stories with WMUR as they are both ABC affiliates. I am sure WCVB could do better as well. Maybe an ABC competitor like CBS Boston or FOX 25 Boston. Maybe some of our journalists know someone at those stations?

Well Boston WCVB shares a lot of stories with WMUR as they are both ABC affiliates. I am sure WCVB could do better as well. Maybe an ABC competitor like CBS Boston or FOX 25 Boston. Maybe some of our journalists know someone at those stations?

I was thinking the same CBS or Fox. I have one old good family friend connection with Fox TV. I've been thinking if there is one person I know in the bus this would be the one. He is out far out of state now, but hoping he'll feel this and at least connect me to the right person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0