GUILTY NH - AH, 14, North Conway, 9 October 2013 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Hampshire's version of the Amber Alert system is used only when authorities believe someone under 18 been abducted and is in danger, and when authorities have something specific they're asking the public to look for. Jim Van Dongen, spokesman for the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, says that usually means asking people to look for a certain car or license plate.

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...t-system-has-specific-criteria/#ixzz2lO1KY0nP

Soooo....one and two go together. If they believed she was abducted, then she would also be in danger. Either they don't believe she was abducted, or they don't have anything to tell the public to look for. Could they just use her clothing and bag description as something to look for?

This is exactly what is debated by many. Amber Alerts have specific requirements (or as RH says "recommendations"). No one knows where she disappeared from, how she traveled, what time it occurred, or if it was of her own free will. We don't know but that doesn't mean that what we do know shouldn't be broadcast from the highest mountain at the top of our lungs.

For anybody with a missing loved one, I can only imagine that it's terribly frustrating when this "tool" cannot be used. Some people think that if the airways are flooded with a plethora of Amber Alerts (and possibly vague ones at that) then the "alert" part will get drowned out. I happen to primarily agree with that possibility.

IMO, there needs to be a more widely distributed BOLO for missing persons. I have no clue as to how it would be done. Just thinking about it now makes my head ache. Is it done geographically, by county, by state, via banners on FB, Twitter, TV, radio??? I am constantly frustrated by how inexplicably some Missing FB pages are successful in reaching a bunch of people and how some remain fledgling. And, even if the page (or social media campaign) is successful, it's really only reaching a small segment of the population. A population that is possibly not even in a position to be of much help, at that. Furthermore, what if you happen not to have an advocate like PK and AS working tirelessly to bring your loved one home?

Some secondary system seems like a no-brainer. Tied into NCMEC? It would have to be time-sensitive in nature and not get too bungled in bureaucracy. Maybe they can be called Abby Alerts (as RH suggested)?

There needs to be a specific tool, separate from the Amber Alert. I loved the idea of Abby Alerts, somebody posted that on the Missing fb page awhile back. It is necessary to have something just as emergently broadcasted as the Amber Alert when there is somebody who poofed with no car/abductor description.

There needs to be a specific tool, separate from the Amber Alert. I loved the idea of Abby Alerts, somebody posted that on the Missing fb page awhile back. It is necessary to have something just as emergently broadcasted as the Amber Alert when there is somebody who poofed with no car/abductor description.

On 11/13, RH mentioned something about Abby Alerts on the MHFAH page. Maybe that name is too close to Amber Alerts. How about Abby Shouts? Naw.

But is there a criteria that has to be met for an Abby Alert? How, when so little is known, do you discern between a possible abduction (with no clues) and a runaway? Or, do you have to distinguish between the two? Is a missing person a missing person no matter what the circumstances?

If my kid was missing, I'd want an amber alert issued immediately, whether there was a car or driver description, and whether I thought she was forced into a car or got in willingly to run away.

Isn't timing important? The earlier the better?

Better late than never though, I guess...

Abby's dad's letter to the governor was written in a much different style than his letter to Abby. Abby's mom said his letter to Abby were his words- she recognized them. I don't think he wrote the letter to the governor. I believe someone wrote it for him- maybe a friend? or a lawyer?

I'm not saying he doesn't want an amber alert issued. I'm sure he does. Who wouldn't?

That said, he's been criticized for not speaking out immediately and maintaining a low profile. It could be argued that this late plea for an amber alert, which questions the judgment call of LE, is a way to deflect the criticism he's received. Cynical way to look at it though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's his 2nd plea for an amber alert - the first one was addressed to the AG.
I don't see anything that would suggest that he is not the author.

On 11/13, RH mentioned something about Abby Alerts on the MHFAH page. Maybe that name is too close to Amber Alerts. How about Abby Shouts? Naw.

But is there a criteria that has to be met for an Abby Alert? How, when so little is known, do you discern between a possible abduction (with no clues) and a runaway? Or, do you have to distinguish between the two? Is a missing person a missing person no matter what the circumstances?

It's confusing - In Jessica Ridgeway's case they issued an amber Alert immediately though they had no car, POI or any information whatsoever.

The DOJ seems to have standard guidelines but I think States also have guidelines as to how they participate.

http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

http://www.amberalert.com/

It is up to each individual state. That needs to change, too. Make it uniform across the board.

Does having more than one (two, three, twenty...) Facebook pages for a missing person deter from the collective goal?

Please discuss.

I would think that as long as the information being put forth by each page is accurate then it should be fine. Different strokes for different folks, you know? It's all about reaching a large audience. The more likes and shares you can get for your page the better. It's not a competition, IMO.

The only follow-up would be if they want to speak to you in more detail....otherwise, no. You give the tip and leave it in their hands. :)

And they DO follow up, but they also encourage anonymous tips as well.

Does having more than one (two, three, twenty...) Facebook pages for a missing person deter from the collective goal?

Please discuss.

I was checking both FB pages and the website several times a day so 3 pages is more exposure.

That said, there is some confusion and not-so-positive postings so maybe we should limit discussion here on WS for the time being and just watch?

I think anytime a minor is missing, whether they were abducted or a runaway, they are in danger. There should be some kind of alert system in place for all missing people, but especially for those under 18, regardless of the suspected circumstances of their disappearance.

From Conway Daily Sun FB page;

"Law enforcement will hold a press conference regarding missing teen Abigail Hernandez this afternoon.
The focus of the press conference will be remarks from her mother, Zenya Hernandez, who remains hopeful that her daughter will soon be found safe and unharmed. This is the first time in several weeks that law enforcement has had a press conference. Hernandez has been missing since early October."

https://www.facebook.com/TheConwayDailySun

It's his 2nd plea for an amber alert - the first one was addressed to the AG.
I don't see anything that would suggest that he is not the author.

I agree. The tone of the letters is a little different, but that is to be expected. One is a heartfelt letter to his daughter the other a serious letter to the attorney general.

I know RH has received a lot of flack for not being present in the media, but that might have been at the request of LE.

I ran away from school when I was 14, I was gone for two days before I finally got tired of it and showed up at my dad's house a couple hours away. My dad initially wanted to come to my hometown to help search, but LE asked him to stay at his home because statistically it was most likely that I would head there.

Abby's case got a lot of attention fast, they might have asked him to stay out of the limelight so if she was scared of the attention and getting in trouble going to him might seem like a " safer" less scary option. When he did finally appear in the public eye, his letter to her seemed to echo that sentiment. JMO

While all of you mean well, and I know what you're saying, after reading people's reactions to Amber Alerts you simply can't have an alert system for all missing people. We here are different, we have an interest, but a majority of people simply do not care unless it happens to them. How many cases have there been where locals have come here and said they are still meeting people unaware of what we here would consider a big story?

An alert with no information is no use. Alerts for people who've gone walk about or kids that run away will just make the public turn sour. They will start tuning them out.

While all of you mean well, and I know what you're saying, after reading people's reactions to Amber Alerts you simply can't have an alert system for all missing people. We here are different, we have an interest, but a majority of people simply do not care unless it happens to them. How many cases have there been where locals have come here and said they are still meeting people unaware of what we here would consider a big story?

An alert with no information is no use. Alerts for people who've gone walk about or kids that run away will just make the public turn sour. They will start tuning them out.

BBM
There in lies the problem. Same thing with the Missing FB pages, only a finite portion of a specific population "like" the page.

Please discuss.
Heck, no. We wouldn't want just one news outlet to cover the story, would we? Social media support sites only become harmful when people post irresponsibly. It's up to the admin to control that, and to ensure that the group stays focused. JMO

Please discuss.

I would think that as long as the information being put forth by each page is accurate then it should be fine. Different strokes for different folks, you know? It's all about reaching a large audience. The more likes and shares you can get for your page the better. It's not a competition, IMO.

Sometimes non-family approved Facebook pages not only allow posts that cause the family more pain, but also scam for donations, etc. Very sad when that happens. Right now I know of at least 2 cases where this is an issue and families are battling a losing fight to get those unauthorized pages removed. :moo::moo::moo:

I am guessing there is no real news to be delivered today, at least not about Abigail's whereabouts. If there was, they would not wait until late in the day, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne