Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 # 9 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, okay. I thought they had all the police calls on them and would reflect all police activity in the area. I didn't know they were just scanning searches. ty

I didn't mean to imply that they only scan searches, just that they wouldn't be using radios etc. at this stage of the investigation too much. Maybe if there were officers and detectives out and about looking for something or someone, but it doesn't seem like they're doing any of that right now. It could happen, but little scanner activity compared to when there's a search or something like that.

They do have police activity, as well as emergency calls, but you need to know how to decipher the codes as well as understanding "police speak" to know what they're doing most of the time. They won't give out names over the scanner unless they're on a secure channel, which they do a lot.

http://www.radiolabs.com/police-codes.html

Cuz it will probably be useful at some point, lol.

I didn't mean to imply that they only scan searches, just that they wouldn't be using radios etc. at this stage of the investigation too much. Maybe if there were officers and detectives out and about looking for something or someone, but it doesn't seem like they're doing any of that right now. It could happen, but little scanner activity compared to when there's a search or something like that.

I was just thinking of ways we could at least have some ears on the ground while we are waiting. That was all I could come up with. I know that people monitored the scanner for a long time (maybe still) in the Haleigh C case in Florida. just wishing for some news. tia

There has NEVER been a successful insanity defense in a murder case in New Hampshire.

What about the Barr woman? I thought she did, or I maybe wrong and she just pleaded.

What about the Barr woman? I thought she did, or I maybe wrong and she just pleaded.

I assume you mean Sheila LaBarre. She tried an insanity defense for murder but the jury found her sane and she was sentenced to life. She appealed to the NH Supreme Court and the conviction was upheld.

Hi Guys! :great:

I`m a newby! Have been following the forums for the last few months but have decided to join! You are very friendly and this particular case is very frustrating!

I am about 5 hours ahead of you so have to catch up when I get to work! :blushing:

Hope I can join! :D

Welcome to the forum. And yes this is a very frustrating case. Grrrrrrr. I hate to see a young girl's life ended like that. We need to bring some justice to the family.

:welcome::fireworks:

I assume you mean Sheila LaBarre. She tried an insanity defense for murder but the jury found her sane and she was sentenced to life. She appealed to the NH Supreme Court and the conviction was upheld.

Thanks, I couldn't remember. I do remember though that she was a nut case, so I guess to be convicted in NH of insane, you really, really must be!

Thanks, I couldn't remember. I do remember though that she was a nut case, so I guess to be convicted in NH of insane, you really, really must be!

Basically, the defense has to show that you were insane at the time of the crime. In LaBarre's case she was a clever operator, gave police answers to deliberately throw them off, answered questions with statements that were deliberately phrased to cover her tracks, etc. The evidence showed that rather than being insane, she was very clever in trying to send LE in the wrong direction and in trying to protect herself. It didn't take the jury very long to determine the insanity issue.

It's nice to see another reporter on here. I have been a newspaper reporter since 1998. I have a feeling there are more reporters around here who haven't identified themselves as such.

I haven't read all of the press on this case. So I can't speak much about the reporting that has taken place. But the lack of information on the live-in guest suggests to me that he hasn't been available to the press and that the investigators have been tight-lipped about him.

I think reporters have done a poor job of asking questions. Part of that is because lead investigators don't care to talk to the media and haven't been very accessible. Another part is that a lot of media outlets have cut staff and don't have the resources to put a reporter on a big case.

If I was working this case, I'd be pestering the investigators. It's not their job to provide every detail to the media, but it's a reporter's job to try getting information. Obviously, you have to be considerate and polite. But you also have to be persistent.

My guess is that several of the reporters working the Celina Cass case are young and somewhat inexperienced. In those small cities, most of the reporters are probably working at weeklies, which don't pay the kind of salaries that you'd see at a major daily. Those sorts of jobs tend to be for less experienced reporters. They are typically entry-level jobs. That's not always the case. But it's often the case. It's how I started and how most reporters get their start. News reporters tend to move to bigger and fancier publications once they have spent some time developing their skills.

I totally agree! What happened to the days of reporters breaking stories wide open? I haven't seen true investigative reporting in a LONG while. Seems maybe the ones who work for publications are overwhelmed with their schedule and don't have enough time to concentrate on just one case? We won't even talk about the HLN talking heads who never seem to have a scoop and if they do, it's totally off the mark...
You would think in a small town, people would want their 15 minutes and would talk up a storm! Doesn't seem like anyone is really giving this story the time of day. IMHO

Well, if the body has a bullet hole, ligature marks on the neck, or blunt force trauma you don't need toxicology to determine the cause of death. The only reason to do it would be when the cause of death is not apparent or it appears to be accidental with odd characteristics. Since they are saying that the death is suspicious and are awaiting toxicology results it would imply that there was no obvious cause of death but the circumstances of the body were unusual.

BBM

But, would we be told? Personally I think (and hope) the toxicology reports are just buying more time to build a case :praying:

I totally agree! What happened to the days of reporters breaking stories wide open? I haven't seen true investigative reporting in a LONG while. Seems maybe the ones who work for publications are overwhelmed with their schedule and don't have enough time to concentrate on just one case? We won't even talk about the HLN talking heads who never seem to have a scoop and if they do, it's totally off the mark...
You would think in a small town, people would want their 15 minutes and would talk up a storm! Doesn't seem like anyone is really giving this story the time of day. IMHO

As someone said earlier, West Stewartstown is a small, rural New England town. It is typical of these people to keep pretty quiet and stick to themselves. For the most part they don't offer a whole lot of information to strangers. As someone who lives in New England, it's my guess that the locals in Stewartstown know a lot more than we do about who's who, where they were, what they did, etc.

As someone said earlier, West Stewartstown is a small, rural New England town. It is typical of these people to keep pretty quiet and stick to themselves. For the most part they don't offer a whole lot of information to strangers. As someone who lives in New England, it's my guess that the locals in Stewartstown know a lot more than we do about who's who, where they were, what they did, etc.

Hmmmmm I don't know. I don't really believe that someone wouldn't talk if the emotional reward was fulfilling enough. People in small towns have tensions just like everywhere else, if not more so. Familiarity breeds contempt. Someone with a vendetta, a broken heart, a family feud, a desire to get out of the confines of the small town, fame, revenge, or perhaps even someone who just wants to see justice served would talk if they were being pursued (IMHO) I see alot of snide remarks on FB from people close to the case (pro and con to the WN theory) I'm sure if they're posting on FB, they might be willing to talk... I just don't think they are being asked the right questions or perhaps are not being asked questions at all! :twocents:

I've live in small towns, really big towns, and in between. In the small towns outsiders meddling in their business is hardly ever appreciated. They may not get along with their neighbors but the communities are usually close knit and don't want their business made public. Gossip is usually kept close to home.

In the big towns people don't know everyone and keep too busy to get connected so to speak.

You might have a shot at something in a middle size town but even then some don't want the media down their throats.

That's my opinion based on the little I know..........

Here you go. This is an article talking about a recent murder case we had in NH and mentioning the fact that an insanity plea has never been used successfully here.........

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/911350-196/tough-road-for-insanity-defense-in-nh.html

LOL. I actually posted that same article about five minutes after I asked you the question. It says they haven't had one succeed in at least the past 25-30 years. Of course, it doesn't say how many have been attempted, either. It might three. It might be 30. It would be interesting to know how many of these defenses worked for other crimes in New Hampshire.

Do we have any info on WN's paranoia?

Well, there were some media reports that said he believed police or prison officials had placed a microchip in him to track his movement or something to that effect. I guess he made those comments on the day he flopped down on his driveway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257