NH NH - Elizabeth Marriott, 19, Durham, 9 Oct 2012 - # 6 *S. Mazzaglia guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I believe you are right that a final decision had not yet been made about who Seth would hire to represent him at trial. However, it also seem very clear that Seth had talked to Barth and his office - Barth already had information from Seth about the case, and Barth knew that Seth might retain him. That creates an attorney client relationship between Seth and Barth, even if Seth never speaks to him again. It triggers certain legal and ethical duties Barth owes to Seth- confidentiality, not speaking to other parties or potential parties who are not represented by counsel, not to accept employment that is directly adverse to Seth if it relates to matters that Barth discussed with Seth.

But the big thing is - Barth did not deal fairly with Kat, and IMO he took advantage of the fact that she had no lawyer to advise, in confidence, that her that her legal may be adverse to Seths and that she should not talk to Barth or make disclosures that could be used to incriminate her. It was Barths duty to refuse to talk to her about the murder and her involvement without first having her consult with her own counsel.

If this happened don't you think the State Of NH would have brought Barth in front of the ethics board?

Barth is an upstanding attorney and would never jeopardize the career that he has built over the years for a case he is doing as a Public Defender.

I think both of them are equally responsible for Lizzy's death~ Shame on the State of NH for not seeing that!

As far as my undertsanding, Seth had not chosen Barth as his attorney at that point and had no obligation to Seth (or Kat for that matter), Seth was still deciding on who would represent him (according to the testimony elicited from Kat). I was wondering why he can question her on the statement she gave them and show the video, but the jury apparently can't read the whole statement (shown only as a credibility of witness issue and not for substantive value), it seems to be evidence in the case, is it merely because she's a witness and not a defendant? I'd like to hear or read the entire thing as I think it's the most amount of truth to what happened as we'll ever know.

Bingo! This was before the State decided that it would be to their advantage to offer Kat that deal~ especially without a body. IMO at this time the "truth" was very clear to Kat because they were in it together. Once the offer came in it muddied Kat's memory.

Both Kat and Seth confessed to being the one that threw Lizzy over the fence, to throw her into the water (except Kat's story is much creepier) but keep going back to the suitcase (Kat's), the duct tape, (Kat's idea), turn off the phones (Kat's idea), to gather the ropes, harness etc (Kat did this) makes it hard for me to believe that Kat is a victim in any way.

I have said many times, I think both of them should go away for a very long time but to make Kat out to be a victim is wrong.

If this happened don't you think the State Of NH would have brought Barth in front of the ethics board?

Barth is an upstanding attorney and would never jeopardize the career that he has built over the years for a case he is doing as a Public Defender.

I think both of them are equally responsible for Lizzy's death~ Shame on the State of NH for not seeing that!

I agree, Littleone.

Bingo! This was before the State decided that it would be to their advantage to offer Kat that deal~ especially without a body. IMO at this time the "truth" was very clear to Kat because they were in it together. Once the offer came in it muddied Kat's memory.

Both Kat and Seth confessed to being the one that threw Lizzy over the fence, to throw her into the water (except Kat's story is much creepier) but keep going back to the suitcase (Kat's), the duct tape, (Kat's idea), turn off the phones (Kat's idea), to gather the ropes, harness etc (Kat did this) makes it hard for me to believe that Kat is a victim in any way.

I have said many times, I think both of them should go away for a very long time but to make Kat out to be a victim is wrong.

Agree that Kat is no victim. She is too smart, too cagy, too narcissistic. Just want you to know how much your input is appreciated here. I hope you will be following along with us tomorrow during trial.

:goodpost:
I was thinking that myself... the fact that no one even blinks anymore (in a lot of instances) does my heart good :)

Agree. Our generation has seen a lot of progress in many issues. Makes me happy to have lived through it all.

Do we know that no one has formally brought up ethics as an issue, or that no one intends to? What he did would certainly be considered unethical in my field (which involves business and not criminal law). It's simply one of those things that is Not Done by my attorney (and no attorney I've ever met, for that matter) for the protection of the counterparty, not the client. Granted, I work in contracts/transactions, but in cases in which we have been, or may become, involved in litigation, the rules are even stricter. I would no sooner deal with a counterparty without representation than I would sprout wings and fly to mars.

Trial Queen Sharee ‏@TrialQnSharee · 30m
Hope u all had a fantastic weekend and are rejuvenated for #SethMazzaglia resumes @ 9 est watch w/ #TrialQueenhttp://trialqueen.com/1076-2/

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ · 13m
Watch #SethMazzaglia 9am ET with #TheTrialDiaries Trial LiveStream Links | The Trial Diaries
http://thetrialdiaries.com/trial-livestream-links/

Justice for Lizzi

lizzi+marriott.jpg

Morning all!
Fingers crossed that Barth will finish with KM soon.

Barth has his handy dandy highlighter out....

indeed he does--lets hope he finishes with KM....:please:

Yes, let's hope this is the last day for her in Seth's trial (and may she soon have one of her own).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malik562