NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Scoops is probably right about this.
well "probably" seems pretty vague seeing as you were the source I used to indicate that all alcohol was accounted for. Its in explicit terms on your blog. Surely you would know if the information was reliable or not?

Guess this is my fault, somehow.

It does not change any of my thoughts at any rate, merely bolsters the contention to my mind that she planned to meet with somebody that night.

Look forward to the book.

most of the questions Maura's supervisor asked went without a single answer from Maura. Maura just ignored the supervisor when the supervisor first encountered her and asked what was wrong. Maura stared right past the supervisor (who was at that point inches away from Maura's face and maura didn't say a single thing or even acknowledge that someone was talking to her.

I had read that the only words Maura said to the supervisor were "My sister". Do you know if this is apocryphal?

Slipping into that state of catatonia is likely very important to the case. No idea what it could be. The Varsi connection seems too tight in terms of time for me once you factor in parking.

Many Thanks.

I think most people agree that Murray was indeed running away that night, unlike some others I take the view she was looking for a break from her troubles, nothing permanent. .

This is where I am going to have to seriously disagree. According to various sources, Maura left her room packed up with an email about Billy cheating resting on top of her stuff.

We need to think this fact through for a minute. If Maura were just "taking a break" and intended to return, then why did she leave her room in a state for someone else to find it? You know what I see when I hear about how Maura left her room? I see a giant "**** you" to Billy and everyone else. She did not leave her room for herself to come back to; she left in a state to never come back to. Someone else was supposed to enter Maura's room before she ever would. My conclusion is that if Maura did not intend to take off permanently, then she most certainly had no intention of returning any time soon. She also had no intention of communicating with her friends or family - that was what the packed up room and cheating email was for.

I had read that the only words Maura said to the supervisor were "My sister". Do you know if this is apocryphal?

Slipping into that state of catatonia is likely very important to the case. No idea what it could be. The Varsi connection seems too tight in terms of time for me once you factor in parking.

Many Thanks.

For me it is because slipping into a state catatonia is an easier thing to fake than a long dramatic explanation for why you are upset. It is so much simpler to just look so distraught that you cannot respond and let the other person fill in the blanks, than to make up some story about why you are upset.

My theory? Maura was already thinking about bolting before Thursday night. She needed her supervisor to see her upset enough that her "family emergency" email would only ever just make perfect sense. (I already wrote about this on Renner's blog).

According to various sources, Maura left her room packed up with an email about Billy cheating resting on top of her stuff.
I always had a hunch that she planned to return and grab all of her stuff. She'd already packed it so she could spend as little time on campus as possible when she grabbed it.
She must have printed the email so that someone would see it. Either someone unspecific (like whoever broke into her room when she was discovered to be missing) or someone who did not have an active email account (as she couldn't just forward the email on to them). Do we know the exact content of the email - ie. was it an email from Billy confessing?

I always had a hunch that she planned to return and grab all of her stuff. She'd already packed it so she could spend as little time on campus as possible when she grabbed it.
She must have printed the email so that someone would see it. Either someone unspecific (like whoever broke into her room when she was discovered to be missing) or someone who did not have an active email account (as she couldn't just forward the email on to them). Do we know the exact content of the email - ie. was it an email from Billy confessing?

I guess I just cannot make as much sense out of this as the one where she leaves for good or a very long time. So if she was going to return to get her stuff, then why would it matter to her if someone else saw that email? It always seemed like it was something set up to get back to Billy, so he could feel bad about Maura leaving without her ever having to talk to him.

Many Thanks.

Maura really did say "My Sister"

I interviewed Maura's supervisor in April of 2013.

Here is a very detailed first-hand account from that night Maura mysteriously became upset at work.

Do you remember some specifics on what was said to you, to make you go and check in on Maura sometime shortly before 1 a.m. on that early Friday morning of her dorm monitor shift? Do you remember thinking I must get over there quick it sounds bad?

KM: I forget the exact quotation, however I remember my coworker (fellow supervisor) telling me that, "Something's up with Maura. She has been crying."...but I can't remember how I responded back to him.I also can't remember what further questions I posed to him to get more information, but I remember walking to her dorm knowing she was upset. When I was told that I should go check on her, I was about to go on my break and grab some food, however I didn't take the break and immediately headed to the dorm she was working at. I didn't run there, but walked at a quick pace. I was thinking that I had a friend upset and needed to get there quickly to see what I could do for her, however I did not head to her dorm thinking it was an emergency or of utter urgency.

Prior knowledge for you- we were not friends outside of work, as my student teaching/ coursework/ security job/ raising a kindergarten boy left me for hardly any sleep, thus no social life at all. But while working, we were friendly and would chat together while on duty together.

You described (interview with james) that when you first encountered Maura she was staring blankly ahead and not responsive. How long was she like this? Was she also sobbing at the time or did she start crying minutes later?

KM: Yes, that is correct that when I first encountered her, she was staring blankly ahead and not responsive to me even walking into the dorm. I remember walking in, and she was just staring almost past me, not even focusing on me when I approached the desk. I walked right up to her desk, and noticed right away that her cell phone was on the desk. The reason I noticed this was, we had a big policy against cell phones, as they were distracting to receptionists, and that was one of our big things to check for when on rounds to make sure they weren't out. But anyways, that was the least of my worries, as I was more worried about her emotional state at that point.”

As a friend to whoever, I consider myself really good at making my friends feel comfortable and willing to talk to me about what was bothering them, but with Maura that night I was unable to do so. I asked what was wrong (not sure if it was the 2nd or 3rd time I asked her, as she didn't respond to me right away), and then she just said, "My sister" when gesturing towards the cell phone. I then remember she started crying (not sure exactly when she started crying since I entered the dorm...between 2-4 minutes?). When she started crying I remember hugging her right away.

I asked her what was wrong and what could I do for her, and at that point she didn't respond. I was hoping she would tell me more specifically what happened regarding her sister, but she didn't. Then I remember two girls entering the dorm, one lived in the dorm, as she had swiped in her card, but the girl she was with I was unsure. Generally I don't say a thing to them, as the receptionist (i.e. Maura) should be the one to call out asking to show the ID's, and if the friend didn't live there then she would ask them to come on over to the desk and sign her in. When Maura didn't ask for their ID, I knew at that point that she was not in a good emotional state to stay on duty.

I called my head supervisor on duty, and told him that I thought she should stop working for the night, as she was not in a good emotional state to work. At that point I knew that she was done working for the night, but wanted to try to help her any way I could. I shared with her that I was depressed for years, and that I was worried about her in this state. I asked her if I could bring her to the University Mental Health Services, as I told her it was 24 hours a day open, and I could bring her if she was too upset to go on her own.

She shook her head no, and I remember not wanting to be annoying and keep bugging her about it. I then told her if she wanted, when I got off shift in a little while, we could go get some Dunkins together (referring to Dunkin Donuts), as it was still open and we could chat if she wanted someone to talk to. (can't remember if she said no, or shook her head no)...and said she had an early class in the morning.

I noticed a huge nursing book in front of her, and just thinking, jeez, that must be a tricky course and that could be another stressor for her right now. I ripped out a blank piece of lined paper from a notebook and wrote down my cell phone on it, and told her to call me whenever, at any point, if there was anything I could do for her, as I wanted to help her feel better.

As she was not talking to me anymore, I then realized I should get her ready to leave her shift, so I then took out my sheet where she had to sing her key back in, as she was now off duty. She still was sitting there, as normally after that you would get up and grab all your stuff to leave the dorm, I remember picking up her nursing book, physically cleaning up her desk and putting her materials in her backpack (don't remember exactly what else, there was another textbook I believe and a notebook, but am not exactly sure). I then carried her backpack for her, and she followed me out of the dorm and I remember putting my arm around her shoulder while we walked to Kennedy, her dorm, which was basically just like 300 feet away.

I swiped her into her dorm, used my key to get her into the elevator lobby, told her I was worried to leave her alone like this, she told me she had a roommate so it was OK (Found out later she lived in a single), I gave her a hug and a kiss on her cheek, and she went up the stairs directly next to the elevator, so I assumed she didn't live too high up in the tower, as generally you take the elevator if you are high up. I think she was 2nd floor, but not completely sure. I then walked back out to the lobby, called my head supervisor again, told him that I was worried about leaving Maura in that state, and he told me thanks for walking her back.

That morning we had snow and classes were cancelled in the AM...I remember thinking, a bit relieved, knowing Maura didn't have classes and could sleep in late and rest. I kept thinking I should call her to check in, then I felt like I was only a work friend, as I never saw her in a different social context, and thought she probably didn't want to share anything private that was upsetting her, as she didn't want to go get coffee the other night. I was very upset when I heard her car crashed in NH and she was missing, as I had felt not good leaving her alone that last night I saw her, and felt extremely sad.

It has been very hard since, even years later, as I wish I had been more persistent at getting her help, but truthfully don't think she was have been receptive to my requests.

And what was your reaction to seeing Maura staring blankly ahead? Was this just a college student day-dreaming or being spaced out, or did you believe right away something was really wrong with Maura?

KM: I totally think that something was really wrong with Maura, as she just looked right past me as I walked into that dorm that night, and was definitely not a day-dream kind of stare.

Many Thanks.

If MM had just returned from hitting someone with her car, I doubt she'd use a parking lot. Maybe she parked it somewhere kinda hidden and rushed back to work. She would probably have been trying to save as much time as possible.

I think it's worth talking about why she would have left during her shift. An eating disorder makes some sense to me. She seems to have a preoccupation with pizza (and not in small amounts), and it seems like there was at least 1-2 pizza places near that area. What other reasons can you all think of?

This is where I am going to have to seriously disagree. According to various sources, Maura left her room packed up with an email about Billy cheating resting on top of her stuff.

We need to think this fact through for a minute. If Maura were just "taking a break" and intended to return, then why did she leave her room in a state for someone else to find it? You know what I see when I hear about how Maura left her room? I see a giant "**** you" to Billy and everyone else. She did not leave her room for herself to come back to; she left in a state to never come back to. Someone else was supposed to enter Maura's room before she ever would. My conclusion is that if Maura did not intend to take off permanently, then she most certainly had no intention of returning any time soon. She also had no intention of communicating with her friends or family - that was what the packed up room and cheating email was for.

This is a very compelling argument.

I've been reading this thread for a few days now and a couple hours again tonight. There is a lot of thread for this.
I just have a few questions if someone could please fill me in.

My first question is where was Maura's sister? Did she live in the same town? Or did they live a ways away?

And what was the weather like when Maura crashed her car the night she went missing? Was there snow?

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

I almost can't tell what I want more, nowadays: For MM to be alive so we can be happy for her, or for her to be alive so we can get all these *** ****** questions answered :p (jk)

If MM had just returned from hitting someone with her car, I doubt she'd use a parking lot. Maybe she parked it somewhere kinda hidden and rushed back to work. She would probably have been trying to save as much time as possible.

I think it's worth talking about why she would have left during her shift. An eating disorder makes some sense to me. She seems to have a preoccupation with pizza (and not in small amounts), and it seems like there was at least 1-2 pizza places near that area. What other reasons can you all think of?

Personally, I have flip-flopped on this issue (Maura/petrit vasi angle) so many times.

I don't know if she was involved or not.

I will say that I do think that its possible Maura could've been the person to have hit him based on location (Basically right up the road from where she was working).

She had a six hour work shift that night. My best guess is that she would get a break (of at least 15 minutes) at some point during her shift. Heck, her supervisor was on break at the time she heard that Maura was crying. I would think Maura could've slipped out for a few minutes. And I don't discount the fact that their was a parking lot right next to the front door of the dorm Maura was working at (reserved for security) now does that mean Maura as a dorm monitor officially counts as security and could then park in those spots?
If she could park there, she could easily have slipped out, drove right by the hit and run location, and got back to the dorm in 15 minutes. (even with some extra minutes to park or hide her car if it indeed had been damaged). the worst thing she could've done was not show back up to work with a hit and run scene taking place one block over. I would think that would instantly make her a suspect if that hit and run had been properly investigated right away.

Obiously, she is not going to tell her supervisor she just hit someone, so she would say something like "My sister" to get the supervisor off her case.

I don't know.

But Vasi's hit and run was never investigated properly and will never be solved one way or the other unless the person that did hit him ever steps up and confesses which I don't think will ever happen. He has moved on with his life and wants no part in even trying to find out who hit him.

I've been reading this thread for a few days now and a couple hours again tonight. There is a lot of thread for this.
I just have a few questions if someone could please fill me in.

My first question is where was Maura's sister? Did she live in the same town? Or did they live a ways away?

And what was the weather like when Maura crashed her car the night she went missing? Was there snow?

Maura's sister (Kathleen) whom she had spoken to earlier in the night was living in Hanover, Mass. Which is two hours east of where Maura was.

Maura's other sister Julie was stationed in North Carolina at the time Maura went missing and had to get emergency leave to go come help search for Maura.

If you go by official reports, the weather wasn't that bad the night Maura had her wreck. It was around 32 degrees and clear.

Maura's dad has repeatedly stated that they let his daughter walk away in 12 degree weather, but the evidence doesn't support that.

Here is the official weather recorded history for that area on that night. thanks to the old farmers almanac.

I am posting Feb 9, 2004 and feb, 10 2004

Monday Feb 9, 2004
High --- 35.6 degrees
Low ---- (-7)
average --- 9.1 degrees

Tuesday Feb 10, 2004
High----- 35.6 degrees
Low ------- 28.4 degrees
Average ---- 32.8 degrees.

hence Maura's wreck happened during the final four hours of Feb 9 (7 p.m.) and note that the low temperature on Feb 10, 2004 was 28.4 degrees.

So that means by midnight of the same night Maura had her wreck, the temp could've been no lower than 28.4 degrees. There is no way it warmed up from 12 degrees to 28.4 degrees from 7 p.m. to midnight. with the high temp on the day Maura went missing being 35.6 degrees, my best guess is that it was somewhere around 32 degrees at the time she had her wreck.

If Maura hit Vasi then wouldnt she have tried to conceal her car? I would imagine there would have been at least some attempt by her to park it hidden away somewhere, or far away from where she usually parked it. Lets think on this- when she had her 2nd car crash whilst drinking and BA asked her if she wanted him to call the police, she said no. Then, she locked the car and RAN. Her spontaneous reaction in the wake of a potential DUI was to run away, tell noone, and (possibly- if she planned to return) deal with it later (or, never- if she didnt plan to return). I would imagine she would have reacted the same way if she had hit Vasi- hide the evidence, run, and figure out what to do later.

I guess I just cannot make as much sense out of this as the one where she leaves for good or a very long time. So if she was going to return to get her stuff, then why would it matter to her if someone else saw that email? It always seemed like it was something set up to get back to Billy, so he could feel bad about Maura leaving without her ever having to talk to him.

Quite possibly.

I also think it's possible she printed the letter with the intention to pick it up with the rest of her stuff when she returned. Was it printed on her own printer? If so, that printer was likely packed up with the rest of her things in the boxes, so she would have had to print it before tidying the room.

I personally think she planned to show the letter to her family (or possibly even Billy's mother) to justify ending their relationship. However, I really think knowing the exact content of the email would be a huge help to all of us in figuring out what the possible purpose was.

Quite possibly.

I also think it's possible she printed the letter with the intention to pick it up with the rest of her stuff when she returned. Was it printed on her own printer? If so, that printer was likely packed up with the rest of her things in the boxes, so she would have had to print it before tidying the room.

I personally think she planned to show the letter to her family (or possibly even Billy's mother) to justify ending their relationship. However, I really think knowing the exact content of the email would be a huge help to all of us in figuring out what the possible purpose was.

I concede that is possible. I just think we must look at the packed up room/email from Billy in light of the totality of the circumstances. I see it as a passive-aggressive Dear John note from a non-confrontational person who was doing the ultimate passive-aggressive, non-confrontational act: running away from her life.

Maura's sister (Kathleen) whom she had spoken to earlier in the night was living in Hanover, Mass. Which is two hours east of where Maura was.

Maura's other sister Julie was stationed in North Carolina at the time Maura went missing and had to get emergency leave to go come help search for Maura.

If you go by official reports, the weather wasn't that bad the night Maura had her wreck. It was around 32 degrees and clear.

Maura's dad has repeatedly stated that they let his daughter walk away in 12 degree weather, but the evidence doesn't support that.

Here is the official weather recorded history for that area on that night. thanks to the old farmers almanac.

I am posting Feb 9, 2004 and feb, 10 2004

Monday Feb 9, 2004
High --- 35.6 degrees
Low ---- (-7)
average --- 9.1 degrees

Tuesday Feb 10, 2004
High----- 35.6 degrees
Low ------- 28.4 degrees
Average ---- 32.8 degrees.

hence Maura's wreck happened during the final four hours of Feb 9 (7 p.m.) and note that the low temperature on Feb 10, 2004 was 28.4 degrees.

So that means by midnight of the same night Maura had her wreck, the temp could've been no lower than 28.4 degrees. There is no way it warmed up from 12 degrees to 28.4 degrees from 7 p.m. to midnight. with the high temp on the day Maura went missing being 35.6 degrees, my best guess is that it was somewhere around 32 degrees at the time she had her wreck.

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me. Because my first thought was would her bf cheat on her with her sister? I hate saying that but that's almost what it was looking like to me and that would be something that could send a girl over the edge then just him cheating with a random woman.

Also I asked about the weather because if there wasn't any snow then how do we know she didn't run into the woods when she seem head lights?

I try to think back on when I crashed my car when I was younger and new I was in trouble and honestly I got into the first car that stopped. It was stupid. I know this now. But it was dark out and middle of January in the middle of no where. I could so see how she would hop in a car with someone thinking hell my life can't get any worse right now....and taking that chance.

I do think she was running away to teach her bf a lesson maybe and wanted to go off the grid for a while but I dont think she was planing on being gone for ever or hurting her self .

I concede that is possible. I just think we must look at the packed up room/email from Billy in light of the totality of the circumstances. I see it as a passive-aggressive Dear John note from a non-confrontational person who was doing the ultimate passive-aggressive, non-confrontational act: running away from her life.

I am also trying to consider it in light of the other evidence - we've just come to two different (plausible) conclusions...

For example, to me, something doesn't sit right with the fact her father lent her his car before she went missing. She had her own car which, at the time, worked okay. She was only going to a local friend's flat for a party, after all, not some long unfamiliar journey...

... unless Fred was lending her the car for some long journey she intended to take within the next few days. Of course, that plan (if true) never worked out, as Maura trashed the car and ended up taking her own.

Also I asked about the weather because if there wasn't any snow then how do we know she didn't run into the woods when she seem head lights?

Whether or not it snowed that night (I've seen every manner of weather discussed for that night, from bitterly cold to it was snowing to it wasn't snowing to it was relatively warm for NH) there WAS snow on the ground. Atwood talks about Maura not being able to get out of her car because she was so close to the snowbank she couldnt' get her door open. So if she bolted into the woods presumably she'd have left footprints.

Unless she ran up the road and then into the woods like a witness allegedly saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member