NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an excerpt from a (hard to find) article that details a little bit more about the night Maura wrecked her father's car.

Just for note purposes:

Sara Alfieri --- was a sophomore at UMASS that became friends with Maura through work. They each worked at an art gallery together (Maura had two jobs).

Alfieri is the person who hosted the dorm get together. She either stayed in the same dorm as Maura or in one that was real close (all news stories I have read state that Sara's dorm was the same as Maura's but family "Spokespeople" dispute that notion.

Alfieri describes Maura has someone who loved the website "The Onion" and that Maura's favorite movie was "Bottle Rocket"

Anyhoo, according to Alfieri, it was her, Maura, Maura's track friend Kate Markopoulos and "a few other friends" that went to her dorm that Saturday night.

Here is where the story picks up. the reporter talked to both Alfieri and Markopoulos.

"At about 1 a.m., Alfieri said she was passed out from drinking. Markopoulos was still up with Murray and they were talking about going home at about 2:30 a.m. But Murray wanted to go to her father's hotel according to Markopoulos.
"I told her to just go back to her room and meet him in the morning, but she wouldn't listen," Markopoulos said.

About an hour later, Murray cracked up her father's Toyota Corolla on Route 9. Alfieri found out the next week from news reports about her friend's disappearance.

"I thought that was so weird," said Alfieri. "I talked to her that day and she didn't even say anything."

Now everybody is wondering about what they don't know about Maura Murray. If she can't figure it out after three years of friendship, Markopoulos said nobody might ever know.

this excerpt was from The Quincy Patriot Ledger exactly one month from the same day Maura went missing.

The Varsi connection is rather infuriating. I initially discounted it and yet the more I read it seems harder to cross the possibility out. I guess its more complicated by the possibility someone else might have borrowed Murray's car. Was Maura known to lend her car out? And if so to who? It troubles me that if we can't discount Maura with alibi then due to the timing of the hit and run (and Murray's subsequent behavior) it fits almost too snugly to ignore.

If Maura or her car was involved in the Varsi hit and run doesn't it offer a possible explanation of why Maura borrowed her Fathers car for such a short run? It also, obviously, provides a reason why father and daughter would be shopping for a new car. And might it also explain why her Father has been so 'difficult' at times? If the hit and run damaged the exhaust of her car could it explain the placement of the rag (and its cleanliness)? I should add that I know precious little about cars. The rag has always confused me.

My last question is this: I had read somewhere that the damage to Maura's car was not fully consistent with the accident. I had also read something about the replacement of a bulb for the car, I'm not sure if it was found to be an external or internal bulb. Are these correct reports? Am I missing any further details?

Many Thanks.

Here's an excerpt from a (hard to find) article that details a little bit more about the night Maura wrecked her father's car.

Just for note purposes:

Sara Alfieri --- was a sophomore at UMASS that became friends with Maura through work. They each worked at an art gallery together (Maura had two jobs).

Alfieri is the person who hosted the dorm get together. She either stayed in the same dorm as Maura or in one that was real close (all news stories I have read state that Sara's dorm was the same as Maura's but family "Spokespeople" dispute that notion.

Alfieri describes Maura has someone who loved the website "The Onion" and that Maura's favorite movie was "Bottle Rocket"

Anyhoo, according to Alfieri, it was her, Maura, Maura's track friend Kate Markopoulos and "a few other friends" that went to her dorm that Saturday night.

Here is where the story picks up. the reporter talked to both Alfieri and Markopoulos.

"At about 1 a.m., Alfieri said she was passed out from drinking. Markopoulos was still up with Murray and they were talking about going home at about 2:30 a.m. But Murray wanted to go to her father's hotel according to Markopoulos.
"I told her to just go back to her room and meet him in the morning, but she wouldn't listen," Markopoulos said.

About an hour later, Murray cracked up her father's Toyota Corolla on Route 9. Alfieri found out the next week from news reports about her friend's disappearance.

"I thought that was so weird," said Alfieri. "I talked to her that day and she didn't even say anything."

Now everybody is wondering about what they don't know about Maura Murray. If she can't figure it out after three years of friendship, Markopoulos said nobody might ever know.

this excerpt was from The Quincy Patriot Ledger exactly one month from the same day Maura went missing.

I'm not that surprised she didnt tell her friends about the accident. If my friends had urged me not to drive somewhere late at night and I stubbornly did it anyway then had an accident I'd be too embarrassed to tell them. When I was at uni, I stupidly drove my car home after a night of drinking and pranged it. I never told my friends about it because I was embarrassed about my dumb/reckless behaviour. I think at this point in Maura's life she was doing many things that she wasnt particularly proud of and wasnt coping at all well. Its very hard to even admit that to yourself, let alone close friends.

I agree. I think Maura was very secretive about her life at this point because she was deeply ashamed of it.

The Varsi connection is rather infuriating. I initially discounted it and yet the more I read it seems harder to cross the possibility out. I guess its more complicated by the possibility someone else might have borrowed Murray's car. Was Maura known to lend her car out? And if so to who? It troubles me that if we can't discount Maura with alibi then due to the timing of the hit and run (and Murray's subsequent behavior) it fits almost too snugly to ignore.

If Maura or her car was involved in the Varsi hit and run doesn't it offer a possible explanation of why Maura borrowed her Fathers car for such a short run? It also, obviously, provides a reason why father and daughter would be shopping for a new car. And might it also explain why her Father has been so 'difficult' at times? If the hit and run damaged the exhaust of her car could it explain the placement of the rag (and its cleanliness)? I should add that I know precious little about cars. The rag has always confused me.

My last question is this: I had read somewhere that the damage to Maura's car was not fully consistent with the accident. I had also read something about the replacement of a bulb for the car, I'm not sure if it was found to be an external or internal bulb. Are these correct reports? Am I missing any further details?

Many Thanks.

About the rag in the tailpipe:

the lead investigator of Maura's disappearance --- in a round about way --- has said that he believes it was a spur of the moment suicide attempt done by Maura.

Many argue that you can't kill yourself by simply plugging up your exhaust.

it has been said (not proven fact that I know of) that Maura had a back seat window cracked open when her car was found by police.

I find it compelling enough, after hearing about the tv show "Buckwild" stars that died from carbon monoxide poisoning from "Mudding," that someone could die from stuffing up your exhaust while your car is still running.

there is also the case of a older man who in the middle of the winter was scraping his windows of his car while his young daughter waited in the car. The exhaust was plugged with ice and by the time he finished scraping his car, his daughter had perished (just sitting in the car) after breathing in exhaust fumes.

I thought the rag was put there at FM's suggestion to reduce the smoke her car put out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the rag was put there at FM's suggestion to reduce the smoke her car put out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was fred's version.

He was confronted about the rag in the tailpipe ... And he had to come up with an answer for it.

Fred is the person who introduced the possibility that Maura came to that area to harm herself.

After a few days of searching for his daughter, fred did a complete 180 on his beliefs of what happened to his daughter.

When police told him about the rag in the tailpipe they found, which only seemed to support Fred's thoughts that Maura might have harmed herself IMO, Fred now had to explain the rag in the tailpipe away and come up with a story for it.

When police told him about the rag in the tailpipe they found, which only seemed to support Fred's thoughts that Maura might have harmed herself IMO, Fred now had to explain the rag in the tailpipe away and come up with a story for it.

ITA. I think this is another situation where Fred is lying. He never told Maura to stick the rag up there. There is no way that a middle-aged man from Fred's generation would possibly think that sticking a rag up a tailpipe is a good idea.

A couple thoughts for your Monday:

I just noticed that the Haverhill crash had a similar "road configuration" to the one in Amherst. I believe the Amherst one was a T intersection, and the Harverhill one was a sharp and sudden curve. So, not exactly the same, but both right angles. Maybe this is something to consider when thinking about whether the second crash was staged.

Also, here's a scenario: MM tells BA she doesn't need help. He starts to drive away. MM changes her mind and starts waving her arms and jogging toward the bus. BA stops and MM gets in -- about 100 feet away from the crash site. Makes a chilling sort of sense -- and avoids the "BA is too fat to kill" defense.

scoops,

Thank you vey much for posting part of that article. You have contributed a lot of valuable info to this case.

Knowing MM liked The Onion and Bottle Rocket makes me like her quite a bit more. I feel like I know her better now. I also feel like she has good taste in comedy ;)

scoops, would you mind posting the article in full? I couldn't find a shade of it -- hard to find indeed. If you post it I can add it to the archive (the BitTorrent Sync folder).

Also, do many people here use Dropbox? I can create a shared Dropbox folder instead.

The rag being a suicide attempt doesn't make any sense to me -- unless it didn't work so she drove away and didn't take it out of the tailpipe. Why would she do all that preparation for her trip and then decide to asphyxiate herself? Why wouldn't she find a secluded spot and just do it?

Additionally, this is not a plausible way, to me, that someone would use car exhaust to kill themselves (which I don't think is even that easy with newer cars); everyone has the classic method in their head: a hose into the tailpipe and through the window. If you didn't know about that method, why would you decide a rag in the tailpipe would work? Am I meant to think MM knows enough about CO and how cars work that she could kill herself with a car, but that she wasn't clever enough to figure out a better method?

The rag as cover for her "escape" from Amherst makes more sense -- but only if she had something to do with PV getting hit. If her car was noisy or smoky, maybe she (or FM) figured a rag might hide her car while she was driving around, at least in the short term. Also, wasn't there a call logged to a mechanic in Amherst? Or was that just a hypothesis?

I love that Murray loves The 'Onion' and has good taste in film (Wes Anderson).

As I understood it the Rag was very clean to have been in the exhaust very long. Keeping in mind this is an older car, which if you believe Fred was stalling and 'running on three cylinders', then surely the rag would be rather dirtied by smoke?

If you discount Fred's explanation of the rag then how else can it be explained other than as a suicidal action? If you believe Maura Murray put it there there are only two explanations. An effort to make the car not smoke or a an attempt at carbon monoxide poisoning. Is it possible that Maura stuffs the rag up the exhaust before or at some point on her final drive as attempted suicide? It might explain why Laura was drinking red wine behind the wheel. Was Maura ever otherwise a solitary drinker? The amount of alcohol (and that she took a considerable amount from the car at the expense of everything else) has always struck me as a big clue. I know I am reaching with some of this but no matter which theory you discuss they all involve a certain amount of reaching, it is why this case is do frustrating.

Everything is just a possibility though isn't it.

I would like to dismiss the red pick up as nothing more than red herring but the witness seems very credible to me. The time of this sighting and the suspicious nature of this sighting seem key. It is certainly a fallacy that Maura didn't have the time be picked up in a car. Maura's initial thought was almost certainly to do everything she could to avoid LE and she likely knew they were on the way considering she had crashed opposite where people lived.

I'll also second the possibility that Maura might be somewhere in the woods. It is a vast area and we know firstly that the night of the accident was relatively mild and secondly that Maura was a very fit young woman, a regular distance runner. She might have got very far away in a short space of time.

Maybe this is something to consider when thinking about whether the second crash was staged.

I don't believe this was a staged crash at all. For one it just makes no logical sense for Maura to stage a crash opposite a place where many people live and could see it. There are plenty of other places. The staging of a crash and her drinking don't seem to go together for me either.

BA stops and MM gets in -- about 100 feet away from the crash site. Makes a chilling sort of sense -- and avoids the "BA is too fat to kill" defense.

Atwood took two polygraphs and passed the second (the first might have been compromised due to his heart medication). Atwood also lived at home with his wife and mother so really had no opportunity. I feel bad for Butch Atwood coming under so much suspicion as I genuinely believe he was a good Samaritan whose help was refused. I'd bet everything I own on Atwood being completely innocent.

I know that LE has dismissed it, but I often wonder in the back of mind if Maura Murray and Brianna Maitland's disappearances are somehow related. There are certainly similarities and the fact that they were only about 90 miles apart.

Again, I know there is nothing to support the connection, but it doesn't stop me from pondering it.

I know that LE has dismissed it, but I often wonder in the back of mind if Maura Murray and Brianna Maitland's disappearances are somehow related. There are certainly similarities and the fact that they were only about 90 miles apart.

Again, I know there is nothing to support the connection, but it doesn't stop me from pondering it.

Although superficially similar the more you look at detail in both cases, the more they differ imo. Not to go into Maitland's case here but I think unlike with Maura Murray it is almost certainly foul play. The key difference is we know Maura left the car of her own volition with alcohol and a bag, we can make no such assumption in the Brianna Maitland case.

scoops,

Thank you vey much for posting part of that article. You have contributed a lot of valuable info to this case.

Knowing MM liked The Onion and Bottle Rocket makes me like her quite a bit more. I feel like I know her better now. I also feel like she has good taste in comedy ;)

scoops, would you mind posting the article in full? I couldn't find a shade of it -- hard to find indeed. If you post it I can add it to the archive (the BitTorrent Sync folder).

Also, do many people here use Dropbox? I can create a shared Dropbox folder instead.

Here is the full article.

I speculate that this article is hard to find because family (as I understand it) had a major problem with a quote one of Maura's friends said in the article about Maura being flirtatious when drinking. But that is just a guess on my part.

Article done one month after Maura went missing by The Patriot Ledger in Quincy Mass.

By JOE McGEE
The Patriot Ledger
----------
AMHERST - Kate Markopoulos considers herself one of Maura Murray's closest friends and yet knows she had a mysterious side.
“I really didn't know (everything) about her, so now I don't find it so hard to believe Murray's disappearance from the University of Massachusetts,” Markopoulos said.
She is struggling these days to figure out why Murray packed up her dormitory room a month ago today and took off for New Hampshire.
Murray, a Hanson native, crashed on Route 112 in Haverhill, N.H., that Monday night and hasn't been seen or heard from since. Theories include that she is hiding out, was kidnapped, or wandered away disoriented and perished in the rugged, snowy woods.
But what made her leave campus in the first place?
“She took care of stuff on her own. That's Maura,'' said Markopoulos, a senior history major from upstate New York who ran track with Murray for a year.
Murray, an excellent student and athlete at Whitman-Hanson Regional High School, enjoyed challenges like hiking in the White Mountains. When she scored 1420 of a possible 1600 on her SATs, everyone knew she was headed for big things.
After graduating in 2000, she was accepted to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, where her older sister was a cadet.
“She had excellent marks and was a great runner,'' her boyfriend, Army Lt. Bill Rausch, said.
Rausch met Maura through Julie Murray, his classmate at West Point.
“She was a top student, in great shape and, of course, extremely beautiful,'' Rausch said.
For Murray, life appeared good at West Point.
Things change at West Point.
Then one day things changed. Military life wasn't for Maura, after all.
Rausch said West Point does that to people. His class started with 1,200 and finished with 900.
“That's the great thing about West Point. It forces you to grow up quick and figure out exactly what you want,'' he said.
To Murray's father, Fred Murray of Weymouth, it was a surprise but not a total shock that she wanted to pursue a nursing degree at UMass. He graduated from the school and Maura's mother, Laurie, is a nurse.
The decision to leave West Point after her freshman year wasn't a rash one, Rausch said. The couple researched the transfer and it was a smooth transition.
The couple figured that making new friends at UMass would be hard for Murray. After all, she would be entering her sophomore year and social cliques were already set.
One day, UMass track coach Julie LaFreniere introduced Murray to her teammates. Markopoulos remembered it as the typical, awkward group introduction.
At first, she noticed Murray was quiet and at times “elusive.''
Planning marriage, starting career
Their birthdays are 11 days apart. Their friendship blossomed last year when they turned 21. Then a new Murray came out - someone who could be “somewhat flirtatious'' when she drank.
All along, however, she was focused on settling down with Rausch and starting a career, said Markopoulos. She held two jobs so she could fly to Oklahoma, where Rausch is stationed at Fort Sill. She planned to move there after graduation.
When Rausch visited Amherst during vacations, they'd do what many couples do on the weekends: hiking in the mountains, shopping for antiques and visiting book stores in Western Massachusetts.
“Basically, any time together was time well spent,'' Rausch said. Their life together was beginning to take shape.
“We really considered ourselves engaged. We actually were looking for rings over Christmas break,'' Rausch said.
On the afternoon of Feb. 9, Murray acted like she wanted to drop everything she worked hard for in life. She packed up her belongings in her room on the fourth floor of the John F. Kennedy residence hall, including wall decorations. She left messages for professors and bosses, lying about a death in the family. Then she loaded her Saturn sedan, a car that friends said she hadn't started in weeks, and took off.
Her dorm mates didn't even notice she was gone.
“I didn't even know she lived here,'' said Kelli Martinson, a freshman from Hull who lived five doors down from Murray.
Can't figure out what went wrong
Even after four weeks, E-mails continue to go back and forth between friends from Hanson and friends at UMass, trying to figure out what went wrong. Nobody has been able to offer frustrated investigators much about their friend's background.
Katie Jones, Murray's childhood friend and a student at Western New England College in Springfield, said although they've lived a few miles apart, they never visited each other at school.
“She was a very secretive person,'' Jones said.
“She never even told us about transferring to UMass until after it happened. Sometimes we think there might be more to that story than we know,'' she said.
Sophomore Sara Alfieri is just as puzzled. She and Murray met while working at art galleries on campus, drawn to each other because of their sarcastic attitudes and love of things ironic.
Kept biggest problems to herself
“She was so funny. She loved the web site The Onion. Her favorite movie is “Bottle Rocket”, Alfieri said.
Despite being so close, Murray never talked about her friends at home, a group of seven girls at Whitman-Hanson who Jones said were inseparable.
Murray kept even her biggest problems to herself. She didn't say a word to Alfieri about getting into an accident in her father's car the day before she left Amherst. The accident happened only an hour after they were hanging out in Alfieri's dorm.
Alfieri said Markopoulos, Murray and a few friends were drinking into the late-night hours of Feb. 8. Fred Murray was staying in a hotel on Route 9 that weekend. He was in town to help his daughter find a new car.
Father and daughter ate dinner at the Amherst Brewing Co., a popular watering hole, that night. Then Markopoulos showed up for a drink. After about an hour, they left, the girls dropped Fred Murray at his hotel, and headed to Alfieri's dorm.
Everyone's left wondering
At about 1 a.m., Alfieri said she was passed out from drinking. Markopoulos was still up with Murray and they were talking about going home at about 2:30 a.m. But Murray wanted to go to her father's hotel, according to Markopoulos.
“I told her just to go back to her room and meet him in the morning, but she wouldn't listen,'' she said.
“I thought that was so weird. I talked to her that day and she didn't even say anything,'' said Alfieri

Very interesting- seems just like we have speculated on here- there seems to be virually noone who knew the *real* Maura. I feel like for this reason, we should draw conclusions based purely on Maura's ACTIONS, rather than all the speculative statements from family about "maura wouldnt do this, maura wouldnt have done that" etc.

Very interesting- seems just like we have speculated on here- there seems to be virually noone who knew the *real* Maura. I feel like for this reason, we should draw conclusions based purely on Maura's ACTIONS, rather than all the speculative statements from family about "maura wouldnt do this, maura wouldnt have done that" etc.

I do not think that Maura's family has a clue what she would or would not do. I bet they never thought she would get kicked out of West Point. I bet they never thought she would take off school for an entire week for no reason.

My mind just keeps rotating back to the amount of alcohol (and the bottles she vanished with) and the rag in the exhaust for what its worth, which is admittedly very little.

can anyone clarify exactly what bottles she took with her please? I'm sure there was a large bottle of Vodka but was there a bottle of Kahlua as well?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member